Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2013, 02:19 PM   #211
81forest
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans4ormer View Post
Congratulations on the new to you bike. Would not worry about the small amount of oil being used, as they all seemed to use some until really broken in. 11K+ on my SDR and it doesn't use any. One thing you might consider changing, if it hasn't been done already, is the oil site tube. It gets very hard and cracks...use remote control fuel line with 1/8" ID, available from local hobby store.
Will do, thanks! I will not worry about the oil then, since the mileage is so low. I am now trying to read through all 68 pages of the TuneECU thread on superduke.net, tons of great info on there.
81forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:30 AM   #212
wipe-out
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Love mine! Still thinking about the Duke 3 front, maybe over winter.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk 2
wipe-out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:10 AM   #213
duckman
"sic gorgiamus allos

Oddometer: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork-Chop Express View Post
It's basically a bored out version of the 1200cc RC8R dual spark plug per cylinder engine. From everything I've read when KTM went to the dual spark throttle delivery became extremely smooth so I would expect nothing less from the new 1290. That said I already find my 2008 standard SD to be very smooth for a performance twin. I absolutely love the power delivery of my 1000cc LC8. The power of the 1290 has got to be like being pushed along by the hand of God. I can not wait to try one!
i could be wrong,just ask my x wife, but when ducati went to duel spark it was to pass ecu emisions .
and no do rags
'we gladly feast on those who would subdue us'
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:32 PM   #214
Pork-Chop Express
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman View Post
i could be wrong,just ask my x wife, but when ducati went to duel spark it was to pass ecu emisions .
That may well have been their motivation for going to the dual spark design because in theory it should provide for more efficient burning of the fuel/air mix in the combustion chamber. For whatever reason though there seems to be a correlation between when KTM adopted that design and when their throttle response smoothed out. Before that guys were equipping their bikes with more progressive throttle cams and doing a ton of breather mods to try to smooth out their bikes. After the dual spark came out I only read about how smooth the power delivery is. I've only ever ridden KTM's with the single spark plug configuration and I always found them to perfectly fine albeit extremely responsive but other guys raised Holy heck about the "jerky throttle". Some even filed a petition against KTM to fix it. Again, I never saw the need but apparently the new models are smooth by almost any body's standards.
Pork-Chop Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:26 AM   #215
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,909
Piaggio once went to dual spark because of emissions only too on
their 500cc single.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:44 PM   #216
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81forest View Post
... The bike obviously needs to be tuned to the exhaust, it is throwing out fireballs on deceleration..
We need night time video before you tune it!
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:56 PM   #217
Pork-Chop Express
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
Piaggio once went to dual spark because of emissions only too on
their 500cc single.
500cc single, is that a motorcycle or a scooter? Just kidding.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:20 AM   #218
81forest
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
We need night time video before you tune it!
Haha, I thought of that too- if I had a little camera set up on the tail it would make a very cool vid

So far I love the bike! I have not had a chance to adjust suspension yet, hopefully that explains the front end jumpiness I'm feeling. The front goes pretty skittish over small bumps in a corner. I'm thinking of putting the stock bars back on instead of the straight bar. Comments?

What are everyone's thoughts on handguards?
Old 07-08-2013, 07:41 PM   #219
Pork-Chop Express
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81forest View Post
Haha, I thought of that too- if I had a little camera set up on the tail it would make a very cool vid

So far I love the bike! I have not had a chance to adjust suspension yet, hopefully that explains the front end jumpiness I'm feeling. The front goes pretty skittish over small bumps in a corner. I'm thinking of putting the stock bars back on instead of the straight bar. Comments?

What are everyone's thoughts on handguards?
Can't comment on front end skittishness because my 2008 has always felt extremely well planted to the road. Regarding hand guards, I avoided them for years because I didn't think they looked "streetfighter enough". This past winter I finally got tired of my hands freezing so I bought a set of SMT hand guards and mounted them on the SD. They fit perfectly and the color, shape, etc worked really well on the SD. The best part was my hands felt about 20 degrees warmer than they did without them. It was some of the best money I ever spent on the bike and made riding during the cold months so much more comfortable. I took them off in the late spring to get more air flowing through my gloves to cool my hands during the warm months. I also think the SD looks a bit better without them but believe me they will be going back on as soon as it gets cool out this coming fall.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:00 PM   #220
Trans4ormer
B to V 1983

Oddometer: 54
First thing to check is the tire pressure, then bleed the air from the forks...before doing any knob twisting.

I installed hand guards for the same reason as Pork Chop Express...mine are just a 2 bolt version that block the wind, bugs & grit.

Trans4ormer screwed with this post 07-08-2013 at 10:05 PM
Trans4ormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:16 AM   #221
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans4ormer View Post
First thing to check is the tire pressure, then bleed the air from the forks...before doing any knob twisting.

I installed hand guards for the same reason as Pork Chop Express...mine are just a 2 bolt version that block the wind, bugs & grit.

Those look like they might work on my FZ6n, but all these hand guards seem
to cost A LOT OF money for what they are and do. How much did you pay?

Having the same issue with windscreens (or flyscreens).
A tiny bit of plastic = $200, and I paid $150 for a HUGE over the top of the
head windscreen for my scooter.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:30 AM   #222
wipe-out
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
some better pics

wipe-out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:16 PM   #223
81forest
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork-Chop Express View Post
Can't comment on front end skittishness because my 2008 has always felt extremely well planted to the road. Regarding hand guards, I avoided them for years because I didn't think they looked "streetfighter enough". This past winter I finally got tired of my hands freezing so I bought a set of SMT hand guards and mounted them on the SD. They fit perfectly and the color, shape, etc worked really well on the SD. The best part was my hands felt about 20 degrees warmer than they did without them. It was some of the best money I ever spent on the bike and made riding during the cold months so much more comfortable. I took them off in the late spring to get more air flowing through my gloves to cool my hands during the warm months. I also think the SD looks a bit better without them but believe me they will be going back on as soon as it gets cool out this coming fall.
Thanks for the info, glad to know that the stock suspension can be sorted out. Well planted is exactly what I'm looking for! I've been looking at the different hand guards, it seems like there are a few that are designed to work with the radial master cylinder mounts. Acerbis makes the "supermoto" and the "dual road" models I think? Anyone using these Zetas?: http://www.zeta-racing.com/handguard...ray/index.html

Old 07-13-2013, 09:26 PM   #224
Trans4ormer
B to V 1983

Oddometer: 54
Cycra products for hand guards...paid $20 on Ebay, they were new, in an open box.

Check Puig Racing Screens for taller windscreens.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:57 PM   #225
81forest
Studly Adventurer

Thanks for the suggestions, I will check out the cycras.

Got the suspension dialed in, bike handles great now. The only other issue is the crazy sensitive throttle, that took some getting used to! I've heard about it and I realize what the fuss is about. Yet another reason to stay on the gas through the corners I guess. Can't wait to get her out onto north cascades highway this week...