Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2013, 11:16 PM   #286
outbacktaz OP
outbacktaz

Oddometer: 520
Yeah, the weather isn't too bright for tomorrow... Oh well, there's always the dry suit!!
To sin by silence makes cowards out of men! Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Peace is mostly valued by those who are sworn to protect it! Unknown
outbacktaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:59 AM   #287
grumpybear
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Great ride yesterday guys! The weather turned out to be much better than the forecast.

grump
grumpybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:54 PM   #288
outbacktaz OP
outbacktaz

Yeah, it was a real nice ride with Greg and Dan!! Too bad the turn out on people wasn't that great, 'cause it turned out to be a pretty nice sunny day!!

Hopefully we can do it again pretty soon!!

Old 07-01-2013, 04:02 PM   #289
The Flounder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Ride

Thanks for the tour and the tips, put those handlebar extenders on KLR, that I've had sitting in a box for a couple years, already feels more comfortable standing on the pegs.
The Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:06 AM   #290
outbacktaz OP
outbacktaz

What?? You just got around that?? If I knew, I would have told you to put that on... LoL!!

I'll have to wait for at least next year before putting some on my ride... And you'll see that it's no luxury!!

I was glad to offer pointers, and I'm sure that GrumpyBear was just as much... It was nice to ride with you as well!

Now, if I could find the driver of that delivery van...!!
Old 07-06-2013, 07:45 PM   #291
Phloid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Iron Horse Trail from Bonnyville to Cold

Gentlemen, I just heard a rumor that the Iron Horse Trail is closed from Bonnyville to Cold Lake. Any truth to that? Can't imagine they'd close that whole length due to the bridge fire? Was kinda hoping of taking it from Bonnyville to Legoff.

Looks like I'll be heading your way on Thursday (11 July) and hope to do some riding. Likely will stick around until Sunday, using Marie Lake as my base camp.

I've sent a PM to some of you with my cell number.

I won't have internet most of that week as I'm travelling around and don't have a smart phone. I'll log in once I get to Cold Lake.

Phloid aka just another Jeff
Phloid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:16 AM   #292
outbacktaz OP
outbacktaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phloid View Post
Gentlemen, I just heard a rumor that the Iron Horse Trail is closed from Bonnyville to Cold Lake. Any truth to that? Can't imagine they'd close that whole length due to the bridge fire? Was kinda hoping of taking it from Bonnyville to Legoff.

Looks like I'll be heading your way on Thursday (11 July) and hope to do some riding. Likely will stick around until Sunday, using Marie Lake as my base camp.

I've sent a PM to some of you with my cell number.

I won't have internet most of that week as I'm travelling around and don't have a smart phone. I'll log in once I get to Cold Lake.

Phloid aka just another Jeff
I have not any thing in regards to this!! I was on it last week...

It rained a lot in the last few weeks, and there might be some spots that are "flooded". But otherwise, it should be fine!!
Old 07-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #293
wos
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,666
nothing on ironhorsetrail.ca about a closure. It would be impossible for them to fully close it anyway.
I'm not a supporter of the iron horse trail as the bastards don't allow motorcycle use. Some of the staging areas even have signs stating no motorcycles and as such I will fight any public funding of the rebuilding of the trestle until that unfair bit is removed.
wos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:14 PM   #294
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by wos View Post
nothing on ironhorsetrail.ca about a closure. It would be impossible for them to fully close it anyway.
I'm not a supporter of the iron horse trail as the bastards don't allow motorcycle use. Some of the staging areas even have signs stating no motorcycles and as such I will fight any public funding of the rebuilding of the trestle until that unfair bit is removed.
How do they stop motorcycles? Are Quads and side by sides not allowed?
Regards....justjeff
just jeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:46 PM   #295
grumpybear
Gnarly Adventurer

Motorcycles or dirtbikes are specifically identified as non-users of the trail. Quads, SxS's, snowmobiles, horses, walkers and bicyclist are allowed to use the trail system. Fines can be as high as 1000$ for violations.

I've had discussions with one of the directors of the Iron Horse Trail about bikes on the trail, why they are not allowed and the reasoning. Most of which was about 2 strokes, noisy pipes and speed.

After reading the bylaws, I shake my head about the speed limits mentioned on the trail system. Many a time I travelled on highway 28 and have watched either sleds or quads travelling faster than my car on the highway.

grump
Old 07-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #296
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

That reminds me of the noise bylaw in Edmonton that targeted Motorcycles. It was successfully challenged BECAUSE it specifically targeted only Motorcycles and did not include other types of vehicles. I wonder if that might be the case here.
Regards....justjeff
Old 07-12-2013, 09:36 AM   #297
grumpybear
Gnarly Adventurer

Pinehurst Lake

Shortstuff and I are thinking of heading up into the Pinehurst Lake area tomorrow from Bonnyville. We'll be taking the Ural so we won't be real fast but we'll be visible!
Anyone interested in joining us.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:41 PM   #298
Phloid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Hey everybody, first let me apologize; it looks like I won't be able to do the rides I wanted to. After a week of being on the road tent camping, I'm a bit saddle sore and really miss my wife. She starts her vacation today and I'd like to spend the next couple weeks with her.

I will be up again this summer as I still want to get out on some of these trails. I'm in town right now just logging in on my parents computer to get caught up. I'll be at Marie Lake tonight (DND campground) and plan on heading to the city tomorrow as it seems the better weather option than Sunday.

Some of you have my cell number. If you'd like to drop out for a campfire, feel free.

grumpybear, if you get a group tomorrow for your Pinehurst run, let me know what time you're leaving and perhaps I could meet you in Bonnyville for a quick coffee on my way home.

Thanks for all your responses to my posts and pm's. As for the Iron Horse Trail.... if I was allowed to ride on it I would tell you my 2013 DR650 took it's first nap in one of those muddy areas south of the trestle a ways. If that would have happened I would have told you it was a first for me and would now feel like a true dualsport rider. But of course I wasn't on it so my bike is sparkling clean and my gear is clean as the day I bought it.

Again, sorry. I look forward to next time up. Tonight I'm just gonna relax and try to figure out why my front brake lever sits higher than my clutch lever. ...maybe think some more about why I didn't buy barkbusters yet.

I'll be away from the computer again for a bit. Until then...

Cheers

Phloid
Phloid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:55 PM   #299
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpybear View Post
Shortstuff and I are thinking of heading up into the Pinehurst Lake area tomorrow from Bonnyville. We'll be taking the Ural so we won't be real fast but we'll be visible!
Anyone interested in joining us.
I'm in! PM Sent!
Regards....justjeff
Old 07-15-2013, 06:31 PM   #300
downdog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Thumb

Hope some of you got out for a ride on the weekend, work has been so busy lately that its hard to plan anything else. Got out yesterday, rode backroads to Beaverdam, Elizabeth Settlement, tried pushing thru to hwy 21 in Sask. Didn't make it but after checking more maps it should be dooable.
downdog is offline   Reply With Quote