Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2013, 01:46 PM   #31
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRanger331 View Post
Where did you get that?
Contact the fine folks at DualSportTouring, pretty sure they have that one and lots of other good ones.

http://webstore.dualsporttouring.com/

Mike
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:48 PM   #32
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonNester View Post
Harley folks don't make their pipes loud to be safer. They do because it's always and forever will be, the quintessential cruiser exhaust note. If you're not part of the culture, you'll never understand. Deal with it and move on!

BTW...My Tiger is so quiet, I'm glad it has a gear indicator to help me know what gear I'm in.
Finally an honest answer. Most bikers will not admit that they do it because they think it makes them cool so they made up the safety aspect.
cliffy109 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:52 PM   #33
theDoktor
Husky Racer

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by L84dinr View Post
I owned a Moto Guzzi V50 Monza way back when. Me N the Spousal Unit were living in south Arlington, TX at the time and my commute was about 20-25 minutes along two major highways. Sunday evening the SU finds me in the garage removing the mufflers off the Guzzi. She asks "what r u doing". I just wanted to hear how the bike would sound... I grinned and told her "loud pipes save lives." She shakes her head and sez your gonna get a ticket.
Coming home Monday evening there is an access road with no connecting roads. About mile long straight. I leave the green twisting the loud handle. wrap the little bugger up in every gear. Stop at the end red light and turn right and again start twisting on the loud handle. Crest the hill about middle of third gear and notice a M/C cop sitting in a side road. Start short shifting and back the noise level way down. The cop pulls me over, DOT's my bike, I still had OK tags on it. He writes me a ticket for no M/C license. (had recently moved to TX from OK). Starts to walk away, turns back and sez, "I heard you from the first green light, put the mufflers back on." He likely would have pulled me over... but the pipes sure drew unwanted attention at the time.
EB I-20 Service Road between Park Springs & Kelly Elliot? APD loves to hang out there & catch speeders. I got nailed in my kid's Mini there shortly after I bought it. I could hear the rice rockets and cruisers both from my house a mile south of there. Personally I prefer the stealth mode of my stock Wee exhaust. I can get away with more if they don't know I'm there...
theDoktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:44 PM   #34
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by trc.rhubarb View Post

We aren't all asshats and frankly I've met more asses on GS's than on HD's. Good thing I own both to keep my asshat quota in check!
Since BMW sells 3% of the market and HD 70%, you sound a bit biased, to say the least. Odds are there are more HD asshats than BMW asshats on numbers alone! But that's OK, lots of people show their bias and ignorance!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:15 PM   #35
theshnizzle OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
A bike is a bike. I have had many positive interactions with Harley riders. It was interesting to speak with this person because that was their veiwpoint from thier experience.

What I do object to are riders who believe various " enhancements" to their bikes make them better riders,not actual riding skills. They are a danger to themselves, their passengers and others who share the road with them.

Now I am off to the basement to rant about a cruiser rider from yesterday......
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:45 PM   #36
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Since BMW sells 3% of the market and HD 70%, you sound a bit biased, to say the least. Odds are there are more HD asshats than BMW asshats on numbers alone! But that's OK, lots of people show their bias and ignorance!

Jim
Wow, so what you are saying is that with just 3% of the market, the bmw guys are overachievers
I have no bias, i'd own one of everything if I had the money. I don't ride to impress and I rarely ride with anyone else. I like to talk and admire bikes the same as anyone else... Wait till I get my pennies saved for a Ducati; then I'll have all the bases covered for strongly opinionated people.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:53 PM   #37
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Wow, so what you are saying is that with just 3% of the market, the bmw guys are overachievers
I have no bias, i'd own one of everything if I had the money. I don't ride to impress and I rarely ride with anyone else. I like to talk and admire bikes the same as anyone else... Wait till I get my pennies saved for a Ducati; then I'll have all the bases covered for strongly opinionated people.
I'm saying that is what YOU are saying. If all the BMW people you meet are asshats, and all the HD people you meet are not, then you are biased!

Jim
Old 07-07-2013, 05:29 PM   #38
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:

We aren't all asshats and frankly I've met more asses on GS's than on HD's. !
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
I'm saying that is what YOU are saying. If all the BMW people you meet are asshats, and all the HD people you meet are not, then you are biased!

Jim
You're the only one that said ALL. So now whose blindly biased?
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:16 PM   #39
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,961
haha, ya... not all, not most, just some.
Most, MOST, of the people I meet anywhere on/in any vehicle are nice people.

What I am saying is that when I meet that person with attitude or a bike snob or the general "i'm better than you because..." they aren't all HD riders and in fact I see that much more often from my BMW brethren than any others.

It's probably because I'm overweight, middle aged and don't have a stitch. I mostly ride SOTGMOTT and my leather is Harley branded because it is quality and fits me well.

I'm just trying to say that not all of us on Harleys are:
1. asses
2. unable to ride well
3. don't ride further than the bar
4. Loud bike having, throttle blipping, road boulder riding, etc...

Some of us just love bikes (like most on this site) and contrary to popular opinion on ADV, Harleys are great bikes.

Anyhow, enough about me.
Jim, I didn't mean to rile you up. Apologies if you felt I was targeting you. Remember, I have 2 BMW's and only 1 Harley so it's not as if I have an agenda.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:52 PM   #40
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

I just strongly dislike sweeping statements! Nearly always they are false at best! I am just as apt to defend HD riders as I am BMW riders, and though I am generally known as a BMW guy, that is a preference not a bias!

Jim
Old 07-07-2013, 09:36 PM   #41
DGraham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Throwing myself under the bus...

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely HATE loud pipes. Harley riders in general have rubbed me the wrong way way more often than not, but I won't say I hate them just yet. But the mockery of this mantra just keeps coming up lately and I've been thinking about it.

The other day, I was driving (car) along the hwy and before I even looked in my rear view, I heard a rider with his loud pipes coming up. If he was in my blind spot, I certainly would have known he was there. Annoying as all hell, but I would have known.

I'm also not denying that the 'real' reason they do the loud pipes thing is because they are macho, cool etc... But is it not reasonable to say they probably have saved a life or two? It would certainly be less likely to notice me on my quiet bike, would it not? I would think I would definitely notice them approaching from behind before I would you or I in our reflective gear.

Excuse the naiveté. If I'm missing something, fill me in. I'm perfectly willing to accept your side as I'm already leaning towards animosity.
DGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:57 PM   #42
Benduro
None more black.

Oddometer: 2,231
Eek

I hear ya, but.... Being situationally aware enough not to be riding in a cage's blind spot, negates the "need" for loud pipes...
Right?
Old 07-08-2013, 03:36 AM   #43
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
I knew this was going to be good from the thread title alone. :)
Old 07-08-2013, 04:29 AM   #44
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by trespasser View Post
i hear ya, but.... Being situationally aware enough not to be riding in a cage's blind spot, negates the "need" for loud pipes...
Right?
+1
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:48 AM   #45
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,359
It hit me last night, following a douche bag on a bagger, with missus douche bag on the back... And he hacked a clam knowing I was behind him ( 200 yds. at 35) . While all the people that own Harleys may not be assholes, they INSTANTLY TRANSFORM when they swing a leg over it. Everyday folks trying to act like BAD ASS OUTLAWS.

"If loud pipes save lives, just imagine how safe you'd be if you learned how to ride that thing"

concours screwed with this post 07-08-2013 at 05:19 AM
concours is offline   Reply With Quote