ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2013, 02:34 AM   #61
AdvIvan
Rock on!

Oddometer: 104
Jesus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidD View Post
Anyway - fuel economy, in London in traffic I am getting 40/42 miles per imperial gallon, on the long runs and riding very enthusiastically I am getting 48 mpg, sometimes more. So referring back to my earliar reply you have a problem. It should be going into your engine not on your foot.
Jesus! I commute in Stockholm, 50 mins total every day + the usual trips over weekends and evenings whenever fits, and I have a fuel consumption of 37 mpg at the pump. Got it down to 39 once, God that was boring!

Your fuel consumptions is way of the chart, also if compared to another thread here at AdvRider. Congratulations!
AdvIvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:55 AM   #62
AdvIvan
Rock on!

Thumb Back on topic

I have also noticed what the rest of you mention regarding heat, wind noice, side stand, indicator switch, hard seat, slippery pegs, out-of-stock panniers, so-so fuel economy (37 mpg or 6,36 l/100 km)... Damn! Man up already! (ready for flaming)

I stabalized the wind shield using an aluminum bar between the top two screws. It helped some. Running with the screen in the lower position now gives me smooth comforting swooshing noice instead of the more irritating low-frequency noice. It also kicks in as a perfect navigator base point!

The slippery pegs is not at all slippery when the family-friendly rubber inserts are removed. Perfect offroad pegs! Make it so!

The rest mentioned above is easily acceptable for me.
The long deliveries is the, by far, biggest problem for me. But even that will be all good in a few weeks hopefully.

Not mentioned is the expensive plastics and repairs (well naturally yes, but still annoying). Crash bars not in stock so repairs are unevitable :(

AdvIvan screwed with this post 07-08-2013 at 03:01 AM
Old 07-08-2013, 07:36 AM   #63
DavidD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvIvan View Post
Jesus! I commute in Stockholm, 50 mins total every day + the usual trips over weekends and evenings whenever fits, and I have a fuel consumption of 37 mpg at the pump. Got it down to 39 once, God that was boring!

Your fuel consumptions is way of the chart, also if compared to another thread here at AdvRider. Congratulations!
Thanks and that is measured at the pump, liters to full and mileage covered, not the onboard computer. Though I think I make up with it on my oil consumption

I do not use the side panniers when I commute (I have a bag on the back seat) so that may make a difference.

When I ride, it is never boring..................
Ducati 998S
DavidD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:03 AM   #64
AdvIvan
Rock on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidD View Post
I do not use the side panniers when I commute (I have a bag on the back seat) so that may make a difference.
I usually wear a backpack, that's it. My fuel consumption is similar to most other's acording to the 1190 fuel consumpion thread. I'm satisfied though. Or was...
Old 07-08-2013, 12:29 PM   #65
Babatad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
I doubt the panniers and what's inside affect the fuel consumption as much as how you choose to accelerate.

Babatad screwed with this post 07-08-2013 at 12:31 PM Reason: Typo again
Babatad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:02 PM   #66
BLIP-IT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Mine had 2 major things that annoyed me; suspension was not up to the standard of my 990, it was hard and choppy on the gravel, bottomed out when I jumped the bike, even after playing with the settings I was not satisfied! I suppose there is no substitute for travel, the 220mm travel compared to the 265mm of my 990R just doesn't work for me.
Secondly the ultra soft front rim, bends and buckles for virtually any lurker or rut causing instant deflation due to the tubeless st up, resulting in some hair raising moments trying to stay in control of the bike!
In Africa we ride our bikes hard on rough unforgiving terrain which is remote and far from KTM back-up, so maybe the bike copes better in Europe and North America than here!
The result is that I sold the bike with less than 1000km and went back to my 990R!
Must say in the 1190's defense, it was otherwise better than the 990 in everything else, power, performance, brakes, comfort, handling, consumption all better than the 990!
The suspension was what I couldn't live with though!

PS; It also doesn't have the character that the 990 has...............the 990 is another animal that always excites and thrills!
Old 07-09-2013, 02:07 AM   #67
umitc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
[QUOTE=Gillberg375;21810418]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmann View Post
Bloody hell! By the time you do all that, you'd be doing a night ride.
ehehheheeheheheh definitely I agree. :-))))
umitc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:26 PM   #68
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,545
Thumb

Nothing annoys me about my 1190R.

I dont like the sound it makes, sounds like a lawn mower. Not an annoyance, will fix it soon with a Wings pipe. Broommm broommmm!!
And there's no place I'd rather be!!
Bigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:39 AM   #69
sjp3003 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Noise Mystery Solved

Friday I called the dealer here to check on an accessory order and he asked how I liked the bike. "Best damned bike I've ever owned [I've had 23 and counting]... but it sounds like a blender grinding ice when I decelerate. There is an awful noise upfront near the instrument cluster that sounds like some panels may be vibrating and buzzing but they all seemed tight when I checked them".

He laughed and said "we were wondering when you'd come back to the shop, knowing how particular about your bikes". After a deep breath [why hadn't they called me?] I asked, "so what's the deal with the noise?". Answer: "chain tension".

Both bikes delivered here (Dominican Republic) so far were shipped with slightly loose chain tension. The gaping hole between the instrument cluster and the tank acts as a megaphone transmitting noise generated underneath the bike. After a slight tightening adjustment yesterday, the noise was completely gone.

So if anyone has a buzzing noise upfront, the solution is actually by the rear wheel axle.
sjp3003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:02 PM   #70
XsilverGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjp3003 View Post
He laughed and said "we were wondering when you'd come back to the shop, knowing how particular about your bikes". After a deep breath [why hadn't they called me?] I asked, "so what's the deal with the noise?". Answer: "chain tension".

Both bikes delivered here (Dominican Republic) so far were shipped with slightly loose chain tension. The gaping hole between the instrument cluster and the tank acts as a megaphone transmitting noise generated underneath the bike. After a slight tightening adjustment yesterday, the noise was completely gone.
I wonder what chain slack measurement others are using? The sticker on the swing arm shows 40 - 45 mm of slack. My UK handbook/manual on page 103 shows 35 - 40 mm.

It's not a great difference but I wouldn't want to over-tighten the chain.
XsilverGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:54 PM   #71
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
[QUOTE=Gillberg375;21810418]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmann View Post

Bloody hell! By the time you do all that, you'd be doing a night ride.
Kind of reminds me of a pre flight check in a cessna.. Only difference is you dont have to suck the stall warning.. ;)
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:25 PM   #72
OZyankee
Dannyboy

Oddometer: 3
Wink

I'm coming up to the first service and will have the original air filter replaced with an after-market DNA filter.

I also will ask dealer to look at:
- Excessive fuel vapour coming from the bottom end of the fuel overflow pipe when the bike is hot.
- Immobilizer light doesn't work as described
- How do you adjust the TPMS so that you can run low tyre pressure off-road without the warning messages

Aside from the fuel vapour worry, this is the best bike I've ever owned. It's winter here, so the radiated heat is not a problem - yet.
OZyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:31 PM   #73
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZyankee View Post
I'm coming up to the first service and will have the original air filter replaced with an after-market DNA filter.

I also will ask dealer to look at:
- Excessive fuel vapour coming from the bottom end of the fuel overflow pipe when the bike is hot.
- Immobilizer light doesn't work as described
- How do you adjust the TPMS so that you can run low tyre pressure off-road without the warning messages

Aside from the fuel vapour worry, this is the best bike I've ever owned. It's winter here, so the radiated heat is not a problem - yet.
I would also complain about the excessive brown substance it leaves in your underwear when you open the throttle to full ;)

hehe
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:08 PM   #74
Babatad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_racer View Post
I would also complain about the excessive brown substance it leaves in your underwear when you open the throttle to full ;)

hehe
The heat is fine. I'm annoyed the expensive panniers are not waterproof. The dealer confirmed this. Just gotta keep it protected in heavy rain I guess.
Babatad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:23 AM   #75
PPiA
Pete

Oddometer: 1,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLIP-IT View Post
Mine had 2 major things that annoyed me; suspension was not up to the standard of my 990, it was hard and choppy on the gravel, bottomed out when I jumped the bike, even after playing with the settings I was not satisfied! I suppose there is no substitute for travel, the 220mm travel compared to the 265mm of my 990R just doesn't work for me.
Secondly the ultra soft front rim, bends and buckles for virtually any lurker or rut causing instant deflation due to the tubeless st up, resulting in some hair raising moments trying to stay in control of the bike!
In Africa we ride our bikes hard on rough unforgiving terrain which is remote and far from KTM back-up, so maybe the bike copes better in Europe and North America than here!
The result is that I sold the bike with less than 1000km and went back to my 990R!
Must say in the 1190's defense, it was otherwise better than the 990 in everything else, power, performance, brakes, comfort, handling, consumption all better than the 990!
The suspension was what I couldn't live with though!

PS; It also doesn't have the character that the 990 has...............the 990 is another animal that always excites and thrills!
Did you have the std 1190, or the R?
PPiA is offline   Reply With Quote