ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2013, 08:42 PM   #1
raycam01_au OP
Sir Ray!
 
raycam01_au's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: CLontarf
Oddometer: 1,069
Laugh Clutch Kato 525exc 2005

Hi Guy's
I am just about to do the clutch in my Kato, ordered new kit and gaskets, it seems fairly straight forward, got my manual, and utubed a heap of stuff.
I am handy and a scale of 1-10 bout a 5 on the DIY, but the clutch seems pretty simple, any hidden things i need to know before i embark :)
i will log it for my own use and anyone out there :)



__________________
YAMAHA XVS 1100 VSTAR 99
raycam01_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:04 AM   #2
Roll Cage
Shippin' Up
 
Roll Cage's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Livermore, PRK
Oddometer: 39
Just did this myself! Best advice I can give is to make sure you have the right number of plates in it! Go ahead, ask me how I know...

Should be 8 steels (1mm thick) and 7 friction plates (2mm thick). Total stack height of 22mm. Don't forget to soak the friction plates in oil over night.

Torque all 6 spring retainer bolts to 8Nm. I'm a total dolt and tightened them to 8ft-lbs, which thankfully is about 10Nm. These bolts also need some blue loc-tite.

That's all I got. Any other questions, just let me know.
__________________
Alex
2005 KTM 525 EXC

Roll Cage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:42 AM   #3
raycam01_au OP
Sir Ray!
 
raycam01_au's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: CLontarf
Oddometer: 1,069
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll Cage View Post
Just did this myself! Best advice I can give is to make sure you have the right number of plates in it! Go ahead, ask me how I know...
OMG how did you know!!!!!!! :) i dun wanna find out the bad way lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll Cage View Post
Should be 8 steels (1mm thick) and 7 friction plates (2mm thick). Total stack height of 22mm. Don't forget to soak the friction plates in oil over night.
Solid advice, I heard they need a good good soak


Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll Cage View Post
Torque all 6 spring retainer bolts to 8Nm. I'm a total dolt and tightened them to 8ft-lbs, which thankfully is about 10Nm. These bolts also need some blue loc-tite.
thanks man

didnt by any chance get some pics of it opened up for surgery?? i love pics

That's all I got. Any other questions, just let me know.[/QUOTE]
__________________
YAMAHA XVS 1100 VSTAR 99
raycam01_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:33 AM   #4
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater
 
RideFreak's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: County Lockup, NM
Oddometer: 5,858
Good time to retorque the primary nut on the crank, these are known to loosen up on the RFS motors.
__________________
Chris
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to rather skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ... Holy Shit, what a ride!"
CL Adventure Ride 2013 /CL Revisited 2014 / 700 Miles of Scenic Utah Backcountry / MY VIDEOS/RIDEFREAK TV
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:55 AM   #5
raycam01_au OP
Sir Ray!
 
raycam01_au's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: CLontarf
Oddometer: 1,069
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
Good time to retorque the primary nut on the crank, these are known to loosen up on the RFS motors.

thanks matey

__________________
YAMAHA XVS 1100 VSTAR 99
raycam01_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:07 PM   #6
Roll Cage
Shippin' Up
 
Roll Cage's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Livermore, PRK
Oddometer: 39
I'll second the retorquing. Just a convenient time since us earlier 525 owners aren't spoiled with a two piece clutch cover...

And let's just say that I had a hell of a time diagnosing a slipping clutch for a few months

No pics sadly. Another tip: don't lose the pins/rollers that go between the plates and the inner clutch hub. Don't get freaked out, the remaining oil in the engine usually holds them in.

It's really not a tricky job. Just take your time, and don't panic
__________________
Alex
2005 KTM 525 EXC

Roll Cage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:22 AM   #7
raycam01_au OP
Sir Ray!
 
raycam01_au's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: CLontarf
Oddometer: 1,069
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll Cage View Post
I'll second the retorquing. Just a convenient time since us earlier 525 owners aren't spoiled with a two piece clutch cover...

And let's just say that I had a hell of a time diagnosing a slipping clutch for a few months

No pics sadly. Another tip: don't lose the pins/rollers that go between the plates and the inner clutch hub. Don't get freaked out, the remaining oil in the engine usually holds them in.

It's really not a tricky job. Just take your time, and don't panic
all good on the panic side, ima pretty chilled and methodical, so far all very good advice, i will post some pretty pics up when i go to do it, fingers crossed i dont have any little bits left over when i put it together again
__________________
YAMAHA XVS 1100 VSTAR 99
raycam01_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:53 PM   #8
raycam01_au OP
Sir Ray!
 
raycam01_au's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: CLontarf
Oddometer: 1,069
clutch goes in tomorrow, fingers crossed :)

__________________
YAMAHA XVS 1100 VSTAR 99
raycam01_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:15 AM   #9
raycam01_au OP
Sir Ray!
 
raycam01_au's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: CLontarf
Oddometer: 1,069
Laugh

hey guy's
thanks for all the good advice,
i got stuck for time and had a mate finish the job for me,


removed a few bits



found this


put it all back together and she looked like this


and man does she ride like a new bike :)

shame there werent more pics :)

__________________
YAMAHA XVS 1100 VSTAR 99
raycam01_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014