Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2013, 10:47 PM   #181
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,910
Link to article explaining it: http://newsroom.aaa.com/2012/11/new-...mer-confusion/

Quote:
According to the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers, those problems could include engine damage caused by the corrosive ethanol, even in the late model cars that the EPA says are good to go. The organization, which represents 12 major automakers, including Ford, GM and Chrysler, says its own long-term durability tests found that E15 could cause a host of issues for even newer cars, including misfires, increased emissions and costly damage to engine components like valve stems and cylinder heads.
BMW, Chrysler, Nissan, Toyota and Volkswagen have already said that their warrantees will not cover E15-related damage, while eight others, including Ford and GM, say E15 use may void coverage on unapproved cars. That leaves just 12 percent of the vehicles on the road fully compliant with E15, according to the Alliance.

Thanks for the laugh, haven't heard 'nancy boy' for a while.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.

1911fan screwed with this post 07-07-2013 at 10:52 PM
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:33 AM   #182
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
Link to article explaining it: http://newsroom.aaa.com/2012/11/new-...mer-confusion/

Thanks for the laugh, haven't heard 'nancy boy' for a while.

1911fan
Give him a few minutes he will have something from the ethanol lobby stating that E-15 is wonderful, the manufacturers are wrong, and that E-15 will be the best thing since sliced bread....
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:13 AM   #183
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 18,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
Give him a few minutes he will have something from the ethanol lobby stating that E-15 is wonderful, the manufacturers are wrong, and that E-15 will be the best thing since sliced bread....
Of course it is, but then again sliced bread is highly overrated. If E-15 frightens you so much, don't use it. Personally I wouldn't worry about using it in any auto designed for E-10.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:15 AM   #184
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,910
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."

Forget who said that, but it applies here.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:22 AM   #185
hscrugby
"That guy"

Oddometer: 4,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
Of course it is, but then again sliced bread is highly overrated. If E-15 frightens you so much, don't use it. Personally I wouldn't worry about using it in any auto designed for E-10.
So from there, "it's just 5%" up to e20, then 25, 30, 35, etc.

Ethanol has been shown countless times to cause issues.
Yes, if you design your engine to deal with the crap, you can make it so it doesn't catastrophically fail.
By the same token, you can design an engine to run on pretty much any fuel, check out the military multi fuel vehicles. You can run pretty much anything, BUT ethanol in those boys.

If I can find it, I run gas without ethanol. The more it's forced down our throat, the harder it gets to find it.
I've also bought e-0 from places, not gotten the results I expected, went back to test it and either found it had ethanol, or they'd taken the sign down saying it was ethanol free. (Telling me the gas I got wasn't ethanol free).
Old 07-08-2013, 11:13 AM   #186
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hscrugby View Post
By the same token, you can design an engine to run on pretty much any fuel, check out the military multi fuel vehicles. You can run pretty much anything, BUT ethanol in those boys.
This is similar to my 2011 Jetta TDI, per the manufacturer I can run up to 5% bio diesel, any more than that and they will not honor the warranty. Ironically the govt is trying to up the mandatory bio diesel percentage to more than 5%.....
Old 07-09-2013, 09:07 AM   #187
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,675
Quote:
So you nancy boys think that a car designed to use E-10 will have a catastrophic engine failure if you burn E-15?
Do you have the slightest clue why increasing the ethanol content on non-flexfuel vehicles would cause an issue? Specifically the ones highlighted.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:21 AM   #188
hscrugby
"That guy"

Oddometer: 4,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
Do you have the slightest clue why increasing the ethanol content on non-flexfuel vehicles would cause an issue? Specifically the ones highlighted.
What's a vehicle?

Old 07-09-2013, 11:19 AM   #189
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,095
Quote:
What's a vehicle?

Bingo!

This is exactly what I said!
SourKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:29 AM   #190
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 18,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourKraut View Post
Bingo!

This is exactly what I said!
Old 07-09-2013, 11:39 AM   #191
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,875
Quote:
It's really tiresome hearing you guys bitch about a sucessful, home grown industry and by doing so you implicitly support multinational oil companies. Fortunately you are a very, very small minority.
sorry to pop your bubble .. I've not heard of very many folks in favor of using ethanol in gasoline. pretty safe to say a very, very small minority of folks are in favor of supporting forced ethanol in our fuel distribution systems.

if your definition of a successful industry is one that take massive tax $$$$ to prop up. combined with the forced blend into our fuel distribution system....

don't get me wrong HUGE humongous multinational oil companies are not our friend either. making MASSIVE profits while still taking tax credits to pay for what they do anyways.

now fuel retailers are figuring ways to charge extra for gasoline without ethanol...
don't know about anyone else, but I'll go way out of my way to pump fuel without ethanol into my R80G/S (plastic floats) .. and pay about 20cents per gal extra to boot

_cy_ screwed with this post 07-09-2013 at 11:48 AM
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:03 PM   #192
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer: 2,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGoody View Post
I would gladly pay $1 more a gallon if I could get Ethanol Free. But sadly in So Cal the closest station with E0 is in Arizona!
Exactly. Let the market dictate. I can get E0 here, but only Monday through Friday.
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:17 PM   #193
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
sorry to pop your bubble .. I've not heard of very many folks in favor of using ethanol in gasoline. pretty safe to say a very, very small minority of folks are in favor of supporting forced ethanol in our fuel distribution systems.

if your definition of a successful industry is one that take massive tax $$$$ to prop up. combined with the forced blend into our fuel distribution system....

don't get me wrong HUGE humongous multinational oil companies are not our friend either. making MASSIVE profits while still taking tax credits to pay for what they do anyways.

now fuel retailers are figuring ways to charge extra for gasoline without ethanol...
don't know about anyone else, but I'll go way out of my way to pump fuel without ethanol into my R80G/S (plastic floats) .. and pay about 20cents per gal extra to boot
He is delusional enough to think that massive tax credits, govt subsidies, and forced distribution and consumption equals a successful industry. It fits his agenda....
Old 07-09-2013, 02:29 PM   #194
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,181
Quote:
What's a vehicle?

Another word for Moto Guzzi.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:35 PM   #195
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
He is delusional enough to think that massive tax credits, govt subsidies, and forced distribution and consumption equals a successful industry. It fits his agenda....
if success = massive profits .. than yes folks tied directly to ethanol production are indeed making massive profits $$$.

but to equate forced consumption with approval from the masses .. that's not happening. this falls along the line of American consumers that drives to get to work.. has NO choice but to pay what ever is charged at the pump.

one thing is for sure .. politicians and folks profiting from ethanol don't give a flying fuck what consumers think.
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote