ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2013, 08:08 PM   #1846
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluRidgeRider View Post
A group of us rode across that section a couple of months back with Augie leading on his KLR. Had a woman try to run me off of the road after Augie and several of the dual sport bikes in our group -- ones in front of me -- passed her. XCRider803 and I were caught behind her for a while. When we got to a fork in the road she went left, horn a honking, as we went right. Guess she didn't like being passed on a gravel road.

BluRidgeRider

Yep, would probably be a better ride during the week instead of a weekend, a holiday weekend at that.

We weren't exactly taking our time either, maybe she didn't appreciate that.
XCRider803 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:06 AM   #1847
VStromNC
DNS/DNF

Oddometer: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarWolve View Post
Replied to your PM - I'm up for a ride. I just noticed the latch on my saddle bag was starting to crack (common on Hepco Becker Journey Bags) so I need to find a strap to hold that shut tomorrow, and order a new set of latches. Glad I noticed it before dumping the contents on the highway, though! I'll probably leave the bags off Sunday and just strap a backpack to the rear seat anyways.
Cool. I sent you a pm.

Jon
Old 07-06-2013, 07:10 AM   #1848
VStromNC
DNS/DNF

Quote:
A group of us rode across that section a couple of months back with Augie leading on his KLR. Had a woman try to run me off of the road after Augie and several of the dual sport bikes in our group -- ones in front of me -- passed her. XCRider803 and I were caught behind her for a while. When we got to a fork in the road she went left, horn a honking, as we went right. Guess she didn't like being passed on a gravel road.

BluRidgeRider
I find it best to keep out of cagers way and pass them quickly. Hopefully, we will not run into her tomorrow.

Jon
Old 07-07-2013, 03:11 PM   #1849
StarWolve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Some photos from today's ride

Thanks for a great ride today - I can't believe I waited until a few months ago to move to NC - This is exactly why I love it here!

I wish we had gotten some more riding shots - so I think a Contour Camera may be on my wish list! Here's some photos from the breaks we took.

Taking a break on Upper Creek, near Brown Mtn

One of these things is not like the others...

Upper Creek

Memorial near Upper Creek

Our fearless ride leader

ADV Uly needs some better tires after this set! The stock Michelins are lacking grip on the gravel, but did okay today.
IBA #41635 - 2003 HD Fatboy, 2004 Buell XB12R Firebolt, 2007 Buell XB12X Ulysses

"Boredom is my worst enemy. It's killed a lot of my friends, but it won't get me. When I get bored, I go risk my life somewhere." - Larry Niven, Ringworld
StarWolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #1850
BluRidgeRider
Long Rider

Oddometer: 536
Quote:
Thanks for a great ride today - I can't believe I waited until a few months ago to move to NC - This is exactly why I love it here
Did you guys stop at Wendy's on Rt181 just north of Morganton today?

BluRidgeRider
BluRidgeRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:15 PM   #1851
StarWolve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Did you guys stop at Wendy's on Rt181 just north of Morganton today?

BluRidgeRider
Yeah! We were there!
IBA #41635 - 2003 HD Fatboy, 2004 Buell XB12R Firebolt, 2007 Buell XB12X Ulysses

"Boredom is my worst enemy. It's killed a lot of my friends, but it won't get me. When I get bored, I go risk my life somewhere." - Larry Niven, Ringworld
StarWolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:27 PM   #1852
BluRidgeRider
Long Rider

Quote:
Yeah! We were there!
Didn't know that was you or I would have stopped in. I was on my red V-Strom at the gas station on the left just before you got to Wendy's. One of you beeped at me as you rode by.

I rode up 181 and then headed over to ride in the mountains around Boone. Didn't decide to ride today until the last minute.

BluRidgeRider
Old 07-07-2013, 06:38 PM   #1853
VStromNC
DNS/DNF

Quote:
Didn't know that was you or I would have stopped in. I was on my red V-Strom at the gas station on the left just before you got to Wendy's. One of you beeped at me as you rode by.

I rode up 181 and then headed over to ride in the mountains around Boone. Didn't decide to ride today until the last minute.

BluRidgeRider
That was me that beeped at you as I first thought it was Kevin or Knybanjo as he rides all the time in these parts and he also has a red Wee.

Too bad we missed each other. I think the most enjoyable part of today's ride was hitting some great twisties in the early part of the day, before traffic, followed by some great fire roads (old national forest rd.) with rapids flowing adjacent to the fire road.

Jon
Old 07-07-2013, 07:44 PM   #1854
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by VStromNC View Post
That was me that beeped at you as I first thought it was Kevin or Knybanjo as he rides all the time in these parts and he also has a red Wee.

Too bad we missed each other. I think the most enjoyable part of today's ride was hitting some great twisties in the early part of the day, before traffic, followed by some great fire roads (old national forest rd.) with rapids flowing adjacent to the fire road.

Jon
I stayed up late and overslept.

I had thought about setting an ambush for your group along old 18 this morning but as it was I didn't even leave my house before noon.

Managed to dodge all the showers, how about y'all?

Ended up zigzagging through South Mtns and Lk James then up 181 and had a mid afternoon lunch at the Italian place in Pineola. Then tried to go down Pineola Rd to Mortimer but had to turn back due to a tree blocking the road so went back up to Jonas Ridge and down 181 to Fish Hatchery and back to zigzagging back roads through the South Mtns....got home just before 7pm.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:05 AM   #1855
BluRidgeRider
Long Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by knybanjo View Post
It was fine until I got to the Boone/Valley Crucis area. Then I got dumped on big time. Water was running across the road and puddling up along the edges. Cars were hitting the pools and throwing up walls of water.

Had to take it slow until I got east of Boone and then it started clearing up.

Old NC 18 (on the way up) never fails to entertain.

Numa
Old 07-08-2013, 05:13 AM   #1856
VStromNC
DNS/DNF

Quote:
Originally Posted by knybanjo View Post
I stayed up late and overslept.

I had thought about setting an ambush for your group along old 18 this morning but as it was I didn't even leave my house before noon.

Ended up zigzagging through South Mtns and Lk James then up 181 and had a mid afternoon lunch at the Italian place in Pineola. Then tried to go down Pineola Rd to Mortimer but had to turn back due to a tree blocking the road so went back up to Jonas Ridge and down 181 to Fish Hatchery and back to zigzagging back roads through the South Mtns....got home just before 7pm.
We got dumped on Hwy 27 headed to old 18 around 11:00 or so. After that, it was clear majority of the day other than running into few drizzles here and there. Actually, the rain was cooling more than anything else. It sounds like we were ahead of you as we were home by 5:00pm.

Jon
Old 07-08-2013, 06:56 AM   #1857
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,130
Quote:
It was fine until I got to the Boone/Valley Crucis area. Then I got dumped on big time. Water was running across the road and puddling up along the edges. Cars were hitting the pools and throwing up walls of water.

Had to take it slow until I got east of Boone and then it started clearing up.

Old NC 18 (on the way up) never fails to entertain.

Numa
Quote:
Originally Posted by VStromNC View Post
We got dumped on Hwy 27 headed to old 18 around 11:00 or so. After that, it was clear majority of the day other than running into few drizzles here and there. Actually, the rain was cooling more than anything else. It sounds like we were ahead of you as we were home by 5:00pm.

Jon
I rode on lots of wet pavement but didn't get caught in any showers. But I took a good look at the radar in motion before setting out and didn't have a set route to follow....just tried to avoid the rain clouds.

Didn't ride old 18 this time out but did hit some new to me gravel on the way up and Golden Valley on the way back.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #1858
VStromNC
DNS/DNF

Here's my update on the ride as I received few request for the GPX file:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=50

Jon
Old 07-10-2013, 07:28 AM   #1859
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer: 758
Flasher, augiedog, anyone? Is Flasher doing ok? Haven't heard anything for a while.
XCRider803 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:03 AM   #1860
BluRidgeRider
Long Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCRider803 View Post
Flasher, augiedog, anyone? Is Flasher doing ok? Haven't heard anything for a while.
I was wondering the same.

Larry: You up for having visitors yet?

Numa