ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2013, 04:01 PM   #31
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,627
It _is_ possible to get green sticker bikes legally plated, and I know someone who did this on a 450X and CRFF230 both. There is a certain shop in CA, that has worked out the hassled of dealing directly with CARB, and they basically get your bike re-certified with CARB. You even end up with a new VIN when it's all over. Problem is, it is about $2000 at the shop, plus figure $500 for complete switchgear, lights and all the trimmings to meet the letter of the law.

The short of it is that it's not going to save you anything over buying a KTM, but if for some reason you're set on a Honda, it's possible to do. Also, the shop can only do a fairly low amount per year, so if it's not early in the year, you're probably waiting till the next.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:45 PM   #32
Rick6 OP
Budweiser Enthusiast

Oddometer: 39
Bought it!
2007 450 EXC
2200 miles
83 hours

Rick6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:58 PM   #33
Rockcat
LDA

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick6 View Post
Bought it!
2007 450 EXC
2200 miles
83 hours

Very nice. Its pretty funny that the biggest section of orange left is is the shock spring.
Rockcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:59 PM   #34
Rick6 OP
Budweiser Enthusiast

Haha, I know. I do like all-black so I'll probably leave it for a bit, but I have the stock plastics in case I want to switch over.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:34 PM   #35
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,058
Excellent bike, however it's not a 450x and it is CARB legal for hiway licensing. You can find this model in their list for 2007 motorcycles. I had the 250xcfw in that year. Outstanding trailbike. NOT plate-able, so I sold it.

IMO it's a better bike than the 525 unless you're an expert, a racer, or 6' and over 200lbs. The 450 has less flywheel enertia so they turn easier, feel lighter, and are less fatiguing over a day of riding. Also much more well engineered than the honda, more durable.

EDIT: I like black plastics too, but would put the 'factory black' shroud decals on it. With nothing it looks unfinished. Or is that an oversized tank - one you can't put decals on?
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:44 PM   #36
Rick6 OP
Budweiser Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
IMO it's a better bike than the 525 unless you're an expert, a racer, or 6' and over 200lbs. The 450 has less flywheel enertia so they turn easier, feel lighter, and are less fatiguing over a day of riding.
I actually am over 6 foot and 200 pounds (6'1, 230), but from everything I gathered the bike is exactly like you said: feels lighter and more nimble over the day. Even though there's lots of desert not too far, I'm mostly sticking to mountain and fire-road type trails. I'll do anything, I just think those are more fun... y'know... actually seeing something except sand. If I were more interested in the desert I would have gone with the bigger bike

Quote:
EDIT: I like black plastics too, but would put the 'factory black' shroud decals on it. With nothing it looks unfinished. Or is that an oversized tank - one you can't put decals on?
It is an oversized tank
Old 07-05-2013, 09:08 PM   #37
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Oddometer: 5,475
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvance View Post
It's illegal, buy a KTM.
Nice bike, you finally took my advice and gave up on the stupid Honda 450x idea. Now that you did exactly what I told you to do in post # 2, where's my beer?
Old 07-05-2013, 09:36 PM   #38
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Yeah, I gotta start demanding beers as well.

Old 07-06-2013, 04:06 AM   #39
Falconfixer
It is what it is....

Oddometer: 497
As soon I get back home to the states I think my next toy will be a plated 450X. I have two Honda XR's that I plated last year, with zero legal issues. And I also just helped plate my buddy's 2005 WR450 about two months ago. As much as I hate living in Las Vegas, I'm glad they don't have the BS restrictions that you have to deal with in CA, like the 7500 mile rule, and emissions laws for bikes. Enjoy the new bike Rick. Now how much beer will it take to get you to paint it red to piss off the hardcore KTM guys?

Falconfixer screwed with this post 07-06-2013 at 04:12 AM
Falconfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:52 AM   #40
Fubars
What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer: 1,735
Fubars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:46 AM   #41
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Hardcore KTM Guys...

Let's have a little history lesson here about Honda vs. KTM.

I'll open with the first real racing Honda, then moving on to the real creative genius in the offroad motorcycle world - KTM.

In 1973 Honda finally introduced what has been said to be a game-changer in the motocross arena. The year before they had nothing. Oh, the XL series, air-cooled 4-strokes with basically zero suspension.
1973 CR series, the 125 and 250 Elsinore:

In the earlier years Honda had nothing to compete with in enduros, trials, anything that was 'offroad' racing in the day. Pretty much no one else did either, Husqvarna was building a few bikes back in this time period. Most bikes up to this point were road bikes converted for enduro use, harley's, Triumphs, Indians, anything with a set of knobbies and a hopped up motor.

Along came John Penton, about 1966-67, he and his brothers had been competing in the Jackpine enduro in Michigan, other enduro type events in Ohio. You all have heard of Pickering Ohio, right? John went to a world motorcycle event in europe, looking for a factory to build a lightweight enduro competition motorcycle. He met reps from an Austrian bicycle and scooter manufacturer by the name of KTM. He struck a deal with them to build 3 prototype offroad type bikes. 6 months later he recieved his prototypes.

By 1974 there was a Jackpiner 175 with a KTM motor, and they were still building the International Six Days Trials 125 with a Sach's motor. Sach's is a manufacturing giant in Germany that still makes all kinds of motorcycle parts.

1973 ISDT 125. I bought a brand new one that year from Lynnwood Suzuki in WA state. I put a license plate on it (was easy back then), a headlight (I think it was even a square shaped light), a bicyle horn, and I rode it to school during the week and trails on the weekends. The term 'dualsport' had not even been invented yet. Later I had a stripped down version that we cobbled a reed-valve block onto with a custom 'expansion chamber' and raced it in Gold Bar on a motocross track and did surprisingly well against the new Honda Elsinores. It was a 'trailbike' and enduro racer at heart though.

On a side note, I did a quick google search for images of old bikes, first the honda, then the penton. My resored Penton came up second in my search. I've posted this image elsewhere on the internet and now it's forever indexed by Google.

Although this is a restored version, I had several of the originals, 'back in the day'. Notice the high pipe, larger tank, compared to the Elsinore. The Honda was a 'track bike', the Pentons were enduros.

After a decade of success of the Penton cycles, John Penton struck a deal to sell the import rights back to KTM. In 1978 KTM brought their first motorcycles to the US with their name on them. I restored a1978 MC5 400, the year before it came to the states as a Penton Mint 400. This was the culmination of develpment of the original 100cc Pentons. Only now it had a 400cc KTM motor. Here is a sister-bike, a 1978 KTM 250. No, they have not always been orange. And Hondas have not always been red.

My restored 1978 KTM MC5 400. Sold it a few years ago to a competitor in AHRMA racing.

So yeah, there are a LOT of 'hardcore' KTM guys. There's a reason they are now the largest producer of offroad motorcycles in the world. They've had their issues, but they're still breaking new ground in technology and design development. While honda and the other Japanese manufacturers have had a few design breakthroughs of their own, the big-4 have mostly spent their history copying the engineering feats of the european brands.

Look into the history of Husqvarna - another company that has left their mark on the offroad motorcycle world. Funny, Husaberg was formed by some of the original engineers from Husky when Cagiva bought them. Some years later KTM bought Husaberg for their racing 4-stroke technology, and whitepower suspension. So in essence the KTM 4-strokes are decendents of Husqvarna. How interesting is it that the CEO of KTM along with his Indian backers now own the Husqvarna brand again - full circle. Expect great things in the future from this company.

Oh, and KTM still uses the EXC moniker for their offroad models - Enduro Cross Country. How appropo.

Hope you enjoyed our little history lesson today.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:35 AM   #42
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Quote:
Let's have a little history lesson here about Honda vs. KTM.

I'll open with the first real racing Honda, then moving on to the real creative genius in the offroad motorcycle world - KTM.

In 1973 Honda finally introduced what has been said to be a game-changer in the motocross arena. The year before they had nothing. Oh, the XL series, air-cooled 4-strokes with basically zero suspension.
1973 CR series, the 125 and 250 Elsinore:

In the earlier years Honda had nothing to compete with in enduros, trials, anything that was 'offroad' racing in the day. Pretty much no one else did either, Husqvarna was building a few bikes back in this time period. Most bikes up to this point were road bikes converted for enduro use, harley's, Triumphs, Indians, anything with a set of knobbies and a hopped up motor.

Along came John Penton, about 1966-67, he and his brothers had been competing in the Jackpine enduro in Michigan, other enduro type events in Ohio. You all have heard of Pickering Ohio, right? John went to a world motorcycle event in europe, looking for a factory to build a lightweight enduro competition motorcycle. He met reps from an Austrian bicycle and scooter manufacturer by the name of KTM. He struck a deal with them to build 3 prototype offroad type bikes. 6 months later he recieved his prototypes.

By 1974 there was a Jackpiner 175 with a KTM motor, and they were still building the International Six Days Trials 125 with a Sach's motor. Sach's is a manufacturing giant in Germany that still makes all kinds of motorcycle parts.

1973 ISDT 125. I bought a brand new one that year from Lynnwood Suzuki in WA state. I put a license plate on it (was easy back then), a headlight (I think it was even a square shaped light), a bicyle horn, and I rode it to school during the week and trails on the weekends. The term 'dualsport' had not even been invented yet. Later I had a stripped down version that we cobbled a reed-valve block onto with a custom 'expansion chamber' and raced it in Gold Bar on a motocross track and did surprisingly well against the new Honda Elsinores. It was a 'trailbike' and enduro racer at heart though.

On a side note, I did a quick google search for images of old bikes, first the honda, then the penton. My resored Penton came up second in my search. I've posted this image elsewhere on the internet and now it's forever indexed by Google.

Although this is a restored version, I had several of the originals, 'back in the day'. Notice the high pipe, larger tank, compared to the Elsinore. The Honda was a 'track bike', the Pentons were enduros.

After a decade of success of the Penton cycles, John Penton struck a deal to sell the import rights back to KTM. In 1978 KTM brought their first motorcycles to the US with their name on them. I restored a1978 MC5 400, the year before it came to the states as a Penton Mint 400. This was the culmination of develpment of the original 100cc Pentons. Only now it had a 400cc KTM motor. Here is a sister-bike, a 1978 KTM 250. No, they have not always been orange. And Hondas have not always been red.

My restored 1978 KTM MC5 400. Sold it a few years ago to a competitor in AHRMA racing.

So yeah, there are a LOT of 'hardcore' KTM guys. There's a reason they are now the largest producer of offroad motorcycles in the world. They've had their issues, but they're still breaking new ground in technology and design development. While honda and the other Japanese manufacturers have had a few design breakthroughs of their own, the big-4 have mostly spent their history copying the engineering feats of the european brands.

Look into the history of Husqvarna - another company that has left their mark on the offroad motorcycle world. Funny, Husaberg was formed by some of the original engineers from Husky when Cagiva bought them. Some years later KTM bought Husaberg for their racing 4-stroke technology, and whitepower suspension. So in essence the KTM 4-strokes are decendents of Husqvarna. How interesting is it that the CEO of KTM along with his Indian backers now own the Husqvarna brand again - full circle. Expect great things in the future from this company.

Oh, and KTM still uses the EXC moniker for their offroad models - Enduro Cross Country. How appropo.

Hope you enjoyed our little history lesson today.
Thanks for the history lesson Chris, you are a hardcore
guy, Kraftfahrzeuge Trunkenpolz Mattighofen!

A little more history, the company was founded in 1934 as a metal working shop. In 1954 they began producing motorcycles.

KTM is most commonly known for its off road motorcycles though in recent years it has expanded into street motorcycle production.
The company was founded in 1934 by engineer Hans Trunkenpolz [1] in Mattighofen. It started out as a metalworking shop and was named Kraftfahrzeug Trunkenpolz Mattighofen. In 1937, it started repairing and selling DKW motorcycles, and Opel the following year.
After the Second World War, Trunkenpolz started thinking about producing its own motorcycles, a first prototype was finished in 1953. Serial production started in 1954, almost all of the components being produced in house, with the notable exception of engines, made most often by company Rotax. With just 20 employees, motorcycles were built at the rate of three per day.
In 1955, a businessman Ernst Kronreif became shareholder of the company, on acquiring a sizable portion of the company. It was then renamed Kronreif & Trunkenpolz Mattighofen.
KTM's first moped, called Mecky was launched in 1957, followed by Ponny I in 1960 and Ponny II in 1962, and the decade saw the beginning of the bicycle production. Beside, KTM was also able to produced motorcycles for the racing industry.
Kronreif died in 1960 and Trunkenpolz two years later, of a heart attack. Company name was changed back to Kraftrδder Trunkenpolz Mattighofen with his son Erich taking managing the company until his death (1989).[4] At that time, KTM had about 180 employee and a turnover that would represent €3,5 Millions.
In 1978, US subsidiary KTM North America Inc. was founded in Lorain, Ohio. International business amounted then to 72% of the company turnover.
In 1980, it was renamed KTM Motor-Fahrzeugbau KG

pcvance screwed with this post 07-08-2013 at 03:50 PM
pcvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:38 AM   #43
ballisticexchris
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 820
Those are some sweet bikes!
2012 Beta 520RS PLATED!!
ballisticexchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:03 AM   #44
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Thread change of topic....

Now that the OP bought a 450EXC, no need to talk anymore about the 450X, right? Besides, the 450EXC IS a better bike, here's an 06' I just picked up with only 1100 miles/64.3 hours and current green sticker. The California DMV gave me the ok to make it street legal and issue a plate.

here it is the day I picked it up, with a brand new Rear tire

only 64.3/1114 miles...

and now

the BD kit installed

California plated low time/miles 450EXC for under $3200
Old 07-08-2013, 10:09 AM   #45
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvance View Post
Now that the OP bought a 450EXC, no need to talk anymore about the 450X, right? Besides, the 450EXC IS a better bike, here's an 06' I just picked up with only 1100 miles/64.3 hours and current green sticker. The California DMV gave me the ok to make it street legal and issue a plate.

Oh noes, it's after the 2004 cut off date and it's illegal....the sky is falling.

larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote