ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #151
Patj551
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleDubs View Post
dmac1 and Ben - thanks for the trail recommendations. I will ride them all :-)

Some GPX files will be awesome even if they are not exactly the recommended loops. I can cut and paste files together to make loops. A lot of the trails are already avail for DL from http://www.redtrails.com/

Anyone have a GPX file for the Lily Pond single track they can send me?

Patj551 I would love to ride with you!

Lynda
Sounds great Lynda! It'll be fun to meet & ride with you too! I'll be arriving Thur evening. Look for the living quarter horse trailer & WR250 #51.
Patj551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #152
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,588
Ben, I thought dirt riding was supposed to be fun. Please...stop by my campsite, and I'll break out my ball peen hammer for some finger and toe smashing which will save you lots of time and money in riding time and motorcycle parts.

That one pic of the rock pile and fallen trees looks like a bit of work. Good pics, man.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:29 PM   #153
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
Ben, I thought dirt riding was supposed to be fun. Please...stop by my campsite, and I'll break out my ball peen hammer for some finger and toe smashing which will save you lots of time and money in riding time and motorcycle parts.

That one pic of the rock pile and fallen trees looks like a bit of work. Good pics, man.
As long as its after Ive been at Deerhammer

I think boots are the #1 item you should spend money on if you are riding aggressively, especially in Colorado. I cannot count the number of times I have smashed my feet against rocks/trees etc and if I had a flimsy cheaper boot it would have been ugly.
COXR650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #154
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by COXR650L View Post
I think I am putting the WR forks back on till I can get those worked out. My shoulders and back cant take any more of that
If you think the YZ suspension is in better shape, you might want to try putting the WR springs into the YZ fork/shock. It will help a lot with technical trails.
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:34 PM   #155
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo83 View Post
If you think the YZ suspension is in better shape, you might want to try putting the WR springs into the YZ fork/shock. It will help a lot with technical trails.

I doubt it, the WR actually has heavier springs. The WR was set up and valved with SMART Performances Kit. It worked really well in the rocks, but sucked any where else. It would blow through (no matter how stiff I made it) and would never stay up in the stroke at speed, so I never felt like the bike performed that well when I pushed it really hard on any kind of riding. I changed to the YZ stuff this winter (bone stock) and so far have been blow away with the change in performance and it transformed the bike, but that has been a lot more desert and racing.....

It is stiff, no doubt, but the issue is the high speed dampening. If you are going slow it is OK, but speed up and it deflects and bucks on every little rock. It takes constant effort to keep the bike under you, not good on some of the exposed single track I actually for the first time riding found myself sitting down on the technical stuff because it was the only way to keep the bike under control.

Anyway the WR stuff was in pretty good shape, so Ill just throw it in for the MB and WF. I think I might do some research and just take out some of the highspeed dampening on the YZ's before I spend big money to re-valve them.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:28 PM   #156
in2dabluz
ARTFUL DODGER

Oddometer: 89
A couple of years ago, about 8 of us WestFesters did a RUN FROM THE RAIN ride which is a GREAT ONE for the newer DS riders w/o alot of experience. It consisted of 5 passes leaving BV west to Cottonwood Pass then over to Tin Cup area and climbing Cumberland Pass. Descend to Pitkin and head SE to Wanita Pass, then Black Sage and finally over Old Monarch Pass onto Hwy 50 eastbound and then north on Hwy 24 back to BV.. and we avoided the rain all day...
Just leave room in those saddlebags for a 12 pack or more before arriving back at the cmpgnd. You'll be glad you did.
'08 KLR 685 "Hi Ho Silver"
'91 XR250L "Scout"
in2dabluz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:39 AM   #157
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by in2dabluz View Post
A couple of years ago, about 8 of us WestFesters did a RUN FROM THE RAIN ride which is a GREAT ONE for the newer DS riders w/o alot of experience. It consisted of 5 passes leaving BV west to Cottonwood Pass then over to Tin Cup area and climbing Cumberland Pass. Descend to Pitkin and head SE to Wanita Pass, then Black Sage and finally over Old Monarch Pass onto Hwy 50 eastbound and then north on Hwy 24 back to BV.. and we avoided the rain all day...
Just leave room in those saddlebags for a 12 pack or more before arriving back at the cmpgnd. You'll be glad you did.
Thanks for the suggestion, Im adding that as a route. How long did it take ride?

ben
Old 07-08-2013, 09:19 AM   #158
Wannabeeuro
Tuner chic

Oddometer: 1,952
Ride sign up question

I was just wondering if it wouldn't be better to have people sign up on the white board using their ADV names instead of given names to avoid confusion. I imagine a ride list that looks like : Ben Ben, Mike Tim, Tim Mike, RF Pat... O>O)

The New Latitude 40 map is great and available at the trading post.

Taylor Park is really dry right now.

Find Me with SPOT http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...kUQSskMiIucMuB
Wannabeeuro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:54 AM   #159
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeeuro View Post
I was just wondering if it wouldn't be better to have people sign up on the white board using their ADV names instead of given names to avoid confusion. I imagine a ride list that looks like : Ben Ben, Mike Tim, Tim Mike, RF Pat... O>O)
Some people bring friends and relatives, so not everyone there has an ADV login.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeeuro View Post
The New Latitude 40 map is great and available at the trading post.
I've got to get one of those. I got a Lat 40 map a couple years ago, but it didn't distinguish OHV singletrack from non-motorized singletrack, so I didn't find it very useful, but I must have picked up the wrong map.
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:06 AM   #160
scruffy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Hey Thad,
I've moving to Salida again for aug, sept, and oct. If you are in the area before or after Westfest and want to ride give me a shout. I've rented a three bedroom house and have lots of room to put people up. I'm a ride whore and will provide accommodations for anyone who wants to ride. I plan on coming up to westfest to ride and hang out.
I'm also hoping to be in Silverton by july 22 or 23. After ramr I'll head over to Salida.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post

scruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:14 AM   #161
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,588
Are you guys familiar with the Gunnison Basin Public Lands map sold by the Forest Service? I didn't think the Taylor Lat 40 Map of the area covered everything, did it? That GB map is huge, but the detail is great and it covers the entire area plus some.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:15 AM   #162
Patj551
Studly Adventurer

Ladies/Beginner Ride

I'd like to lead a "ladies only ride" Friday morning. For those of you who don't know me, I'm a former Women's Pro Motocross racer and downhill mountain bike racer. I have long since retired from racing but still absolutely love riding! I also love teaching. I do not know the Taylor Park area well, but I think we can trailer over to TP and choose some of the easier trails to ride. My thoughts are to cover basic techniques like braking, body positioning, and how to ride obstacles. I like to give overviews of skills and then go ride and find stuff to practice on. That way it's a fun riding experience not just a bunch of drills. Ben said there are women signed up, some on trail bikes, some on dual sports. Basic skills are transferable so we'll have to see who's interested and what she's riding to figure this out. I will have both my dirt bike and dual sport it's also possible to split this into a morning single track session and afternoon dual sport session. I'm "thinking out loud" here, so nothing is set in stone. I just think it's a great opportunity to work with women riders and meet folks that I'm sure will be fun! If there is not enough "women only" interest, I will consider opening this to beginner guys. But, let's try for a "ladies only" ride first!

Cheers!
Pat Jacques

Patj551 screwed with this post 07-08-2013 at 02:41 PM
Old 07-08-2013, 11:19 AM   #163
heatherfeather
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patj551 View Post
I'd like to lead a "ladies only/beginner ride" Friday morning. For those of you who don't know me, I'm a former Women's Pro Motocross racer and downhill mountain bike racer. I have long since retired from racing but still absolutely love riding! I also love teaching. I do not know the Taylor Park area well, but I think we can trailer over to TP and choose some of the easier trails to ride. My thoughts are to cover basic techniques like braking, body positioning, and how to ride obstacles. I like to give overviews of skills and then go ride and find stuff to practice on. That way it's a fun riding experience not just a bunch of drills. Ben said there are women signed up, some on trail bikes, some on dual sports. Basic skills are transferable so we'll have to see who's interested and what she's riding to figure this out. I will have both my dirt bike and dual sport it's also possible to split this into a morning single track session and afternoon dual sport session. I'm "thinking out loud" here, so nothing is set in stone. I just think it's a great opportunity to work with women riders and meet folks that I'm sure will be fun! If there is not enough "women only" interest, I will consider opening this to beginner guys. But, let's try for a "ladies only" ride first!

Cheers!
Pat Jacques
Pat, that sounds fantastic. I just bought a tw200 a few weeks ago, and really want to come up to Westfest. I could use the morning session for sure, have never done much dirt at all, but definitely want to.

Now I need to actually sign up...
heatherfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:26 AM   #164
docwyte
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 930
in2dabluz,

That sounds like a ride I'd love to do!
Old 07-08-2013, 11:40 AM   #165
Patj551
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherfeather View Post
Pat, that sounds fantastic. I just bought a tw200 a few weeks ago, and really want to come up to Westfest. I could use the morning session for sure, have never done much dirt at all, but definitely want to.

Now I need to actually sign up...
Very Cool! Hope you get signed up! The TW200 is a great bike! They're way fun! I look forward to seeing you,
Pat