Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2013, 02:45 PM   #91
tacosupreme
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6732cash View Post
Just buy a new one and fit it
I just double checked it with powder...bone dry between the jugs that is for sure not it.

I ran it until the fan came on and the only place I could see any fresh oil was from the front jug/oil tank area. Maybe the valve cover gasket? That's going to be fun to get to if so. Btw, it's a minor leak, doesn't leave a puddle and uses maybe a cap full of oil per tank of fuel. I kind of want to just leave it and deal with it come valve check time or during a winter tear down, but don't want to tempt fate and have it leave me hanging someplace I can't walk out of. I ride solo in some pretty remote places...

EDIT: Found it! It was the hydraulic timing chain tensioner.

It was tight, just showing half screwed in to point out where it is so the next n00b can find it if theirs starts leaking.

tacosupreme screwed with this post 07-05-2013 at 05:15 PM
tacosupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:29 PM   #92
Oldebonz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
How about a NEW 2012 990 Adv,1st noticed at about 1000mi on trip to CO,noticed a little weep at rear cylinder base gasket joint,after 1500mi,an ugly puddle developed under shifter.Ran perfectly for rest of trip(4800mi),no water in oil or oil in water,had to add 1/2 pt over trip.Unacceptable on a modern,$15000 motorcycle. This is the stuff of '69 350 Hondas,BSA Thunderbolts and Harley's of any old vintage. I had a '77 Triumph Bonneville that didn't leak a drop!Oh well,going to dealer on Friday,Better be fixed under warranty.
Oldebonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:55 AM   #93
Yascher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Any one a documented Starter O-ring leak? so far it seems as a culprit, but did not see any detailed description.
I'm 90% sure mine is the one, so I will order some oring for the future and then replace and see if it stops, it leaks only at high rpm intense riding, if ridden gently no issues, therefore related to case pressure buildup, mine is 2010.
Oil pressure swithch is easily seen and looks clean? oil is leaking only toi the rear cyl part of the V
Yascher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:03 AM   #94
Yascher
Gnarly Adventurer

Wiew from left side from rear cyl

wiew from right side from rear cyl on starter

wiew from left side from front cyl on starter
Old 08-20-2013, 01:05 AM   #95
Yascher
Gnarly Adventurer

Pissed Starter gasket!!!

OK fellas,
once again these Austrians have poor QC

Took the starter out last night

as you can see, if the cross over coolant line is disconnected, there is almost no coolant loss, only the amount in that line, from the other side it is held by thermastat, and the open tube is immediately bent and plagged with anything of a suitable diameter

just pull the starter across the engine till the shaft is fully out and then lift the shaft side up and out it goes.

There was no obvious problem on the starter, apart from matt area on the circumference past the O-ring, which could be from original manufacturing? or a sign of movement between starter and engine side cover due to vibration

The surface on the engine side cover also looked completely smooth, and I couldn't feel anything with the finger

So here is the final inspection of the gasket, and Bingo!!!

this is definetely an original oring fault, as there are no sharp edges to cut a piece away, and the rubber of the oring is really tough...therefore it was not cought during oring manufacturing, nor during installation of the oring on the starter, nor during installation of the starter on the engine.... tell a lot!!!

I couldn't find any similar one from the other bikes I have, therefore will search autoparts today and will order an original as a spare. If nothing forund today, will use rtv silicone to fix this one and put all together untill a proper one is found

The thing that surprises me most-is how come it was all fine during 25000km and only now started to leak continuously??? could it be that the faulty bit was facing upward and with time and vibration rotated downwards-this is how I found it-and then started to leak at high case pressures....??? BUT there is a huge drain hole, therefore no oil level could accumulate behind the oring...still puzzled
Old 08-21-2013, 01:10 PM   #96
DiggerD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 413
LC8 Oil Pressure Switch Replacement

I made a tool to replace the oil pressure switch on my 2004 KTM 950 Adventure which uses the same basic LC8 motor and motor mounts as the SuperDuke.
The switch lives on the back side of the front cylinder. The book way to replace the switch will have you remove the air box.
The wrench you need is a 21mm. Das big! You have little room to move and you have to flip the wrench each time you make a stroke thru the frame/motor mount to remove the switch. The threads are straight, not tapered so at install, once you get the treads started you can pull the string and screw the switch all the way home to the crush washer. Materials used: coat hanger, aluminium tube, gasket sealer, bottle cap, string. Bend the coat hanger around the tube and use the gasket sealer to hold the tube to coat hanger. Melt a slot in the bottle cap to slide tightly over the switch contact tab. This holds it all together so you don't loose it at install. I used wheel bearing grease to hold the crush washer in place.
I will add some more pictures in another post as I am cutting / pasting from my post in SuperDuke.net and not sure how this will work out.
Yep, I have a SuperDuke too.
DiggerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:26 PM   #97
DiggerD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oil Pressure Switch Tool

Old 08-21-2013, 01:33 PM   #98
DiggerD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oil Presssure Switch Replacement

Replacing the Oil Pressure Switch fixed my leak and the warning light works as it should.
I have around 400 miles with the new switch.
Sorry about the multi post... newbe posting to this site. Cheers!
Old 08-21-2013, 01:47 PM   #99
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldebonz View Post
How about a NEW 2012 990 Adv,1st noticed at about 1000mi on trip to CO,noticed a little weep at rear cylinder base gasket joint,after 1500mi,an ugly puddle developed under shifter.Ran perfectly for rest of trip(4800mi),no water in oil or oil in water,had to add 1/2 pt over trip.Unacceptable on a modern,$15000 motorcycle. This is the stuff of '69 350 Hondas,BSA Thunderbolts and Harley's of any old vintage. I had a '77 Triumph Bonneville that didn't leak a drop!Oh well,going to dealer on Friday,Better be fixed under warranty.
How many miles does the bike have in total when the leak started? First quirks are usually happen in the first 1000miles. It's common courtisy with mechanics.

Cars from 30.000+ have their engine blown up in the first 2 years. (new VW TSI breaking drivechains, 2008 BMW 3series inake flaps coming lose and flying in the engine)
Unacceptable but it's just reality. It's called engineering, and engineering can fail sometimes.

I rode my brandnew Superduke R home from the dealer. First stoplight i meet the temperature light goes on! Had to let it cool down. Next stoplight same deal! Took it on the highway and no biggy, so i rode it home and tried to keep moving.
BRAND NEW BIKE! Turns out the fan connector had a lose pin so it did not make contact. Shit like that just happens with every brand. I know a guy with a brand new R1 that had a bad ignition timing after like a week. The thing popped and blew flames like mad, dealer could not find the problem. Yamaha engineer couldn't find it either. Few parts replacement and months later the issue was found -> buggy ECU. Summer was over by then...
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R

Katoom72 screwed with this post 08-21-2013 at 01:55 PM
Katoom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:48 AM   #100
RumRunner
Sit there, turn that

Oddometer: 4,496
My, new to me, '12 is leaking in that same spot. I bought it with 3800 km's on it and noticed what I thought was oil from a bad/messy oil change on the lower engine area. Upon a thorough inspection today I found the culprit. It's a tricky spot to get a tool into and I can see that the PO or dealer tried to tighten the plug from an angle as I can see burr marks on it. I'm close to 10,000km's now so I'll wait until I do the valve check and have better access.

DW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacosupreme View Post
EDIT: Found it! It was the hydraulic timing chain tensioner.

It was tight, just showing half screwed in to point out where it is so the next n00b can find it if theirs starts leaking.