User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2013, 12:09 PM   #31
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,670
Ambassador

As acting president of the APORMC you are officially our Roaming Ambassador with all the rights and privileges herein....of which there are none...
keep up the reports...missing you buddy.
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:33 PM   #32
Umarth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
ooh! Goodie!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoriley View Post
As acting president of the APORMC you are officially our Roaming Ambassador with all the rights and privileges herein....of which there are none...
keep up the reports...missing you buddy.
Umarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:56 AM   #33
Umarth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Big O's day at the spa

Day 19
Where: still in Banff

Well, we have arrived at the 6000km marker and I'm about 1000km overdue for changing Big O's oil. And doing an oil change on him usually takes quite a bit of time: I took a day off from riding. It's a good thing too, as Big O had been leaking oil from the counter sprocket seal for a few days. I was thinking that it was just the o-ring that was shot. Turns out, the nut that holds the counter sprocket had fallen off completely! I'm really happy, and surprised, that the sprocket didn't try to come off too! But as luck would have it, I'd figured that such a thing might happen and had packed an extra nut. Now I need to order a extra one...

For those of you who wonder what my tool kit and spare parts bin looks like, here's a pic of it.

Once the oil was changed and the sprocket secures once again, it was time for some grub. The campground was 40clicks from town but figured I had nothing better to do and I could have a go at take a few pics of the tourist trap, aka the town of Banff.

Nothing for it, I just don't care for the place.

Big O's take on the days event
Ah that felt gooood! my blood wa getting rather thick and dirty! But I woder if i'm falling apart from this inside or if this is a normal amount of stuff on the oil plug?

Old 07-08-2013, 11:48 PM   #34
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umarth View Post
Day 19

Ah that felt gooood! my blood wa getting rather thick and dirty! But I woder if i'm falling apart from this inside or if this is a normal amount of stuff on the oil plug?

What is stuck to your drain plug looks to be less than normal... Often after an extended ride oil change you can't even see the top of the top of the magnet as it is covered in a cluster of metallic fuzz...
gunnerbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:48 AM   #35
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,670
Not much fuzz

I've seen a lot more fuzz on drain plugs than that. Looks like ig O is holding up nicely.

Quote:
Day 19
Where: still in Banff

Well, we have arrived at the 6000km marker and I'm about 1000km overdue for changing Big O's oil. And doing an oil change on him usually takes quite a bit of time: I took a day off from riding. It's a good thing too, as Big O had been leaking oil from the counter sprocket seal for a few days. I was thinking that it was just the o-ring that was shot. Turns out, the nut that holds the counter sprocket had fallen off completely! I'm really happy, and surprised, that the sprocket didn't try to come off too! But as luck would have it, I'd figured that such a thing might happen and had packed an extra nut. Now I need to order a extra one...

For those of you who wonder what my tool kit and spare parts bin looks like, here's a pic of it.

Once the oil was changed and the sprocket secures once again, it was time for some grub. The campground was 40clicks from town but figured I had nothing better to do and I could have a go at take a few pics of the tourist trap, aka the town of Banff.

I've seen a lot more fuzz on drain plugs than that. I think the KTMS is holding up so far.

Nothing for it, I just don't care for the place.

Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:01 AM   #36
Umarth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

oh good

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
What is stuck to your drain plug looks to be less than normal... Often after an extended ride oil change you can't even see the top of the top of the magnet as it is covered in a cluster of metallic fuzz...
Figured as much, but never hurts to double check and have assumptions validated...

Thanks.

Oh, and gunner, you up for a ride this Saturday? I'm in Vancouver at the moment and should be good to be in your neck of the woods Saturday...

Umarth screwed with this post 07-09-2013 at 11:00 AM
Old 07-09-2013, 11:08 AM   #37
Umarth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The hunt for TCAT

Day 20
Fernie, BC

It's time to get back onto the TCAT! Well, that was the plan anyway. All that was between me and the start of todays segment of the TCAT was a bridge, which was out of course: remember all the water that Alberta got two weeks ago? Yup, you guessed it. And the detour around that bridge was 90km!!! To end up just 2 km from where I started but on the other side of the bridge.

An hour later and I'm on the TCAT again. Hurray! It started off quite nicely with some easy gravel roads that where taking us through some really nice country side and far far away from any traffic.

Managed to hit traffic of an unusual type...

Maybe a hour after the bull blew his load, I came upon this, of course:

To bad, cause the road was getting real interesting and was taking us through some real nice places.

But had to turn around. So double back and hit the TCAT a bit further down. Only to get this one.

That's when I said: fuck this! Alberta's TCAT is crapped for this season. So headed back to the tarmac, just as rain was about to arrive.

Big O's take on todays events

Ah, I got nothin'...
Old 07-09-2013, 11:36 AM   #38
bESS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Quote:
Figured as much, but never hurts to double check and have assumptions validated...

Thanks.

I'm in Vancouver at the moment and should be good to be in your neck of the woods Saturday...
I would have loved to show you some Vancouver hospitality but today is my birthday dinner and I am at work all day and tomorrow I leave on my own adventure.

have a good time and if you need any local riding suggestions, just ask and enjoy your journey

bob

current RR --> click here
bESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:19 PM   #39
Umarth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bESS View Post
I would have loved to show you some Vancouver hospitality but today is my birthday dinner and I am at work all day and tomorrow I leave on my own adventure.

have a good time and if you need any local riding suggestions, just ask and enjoy your journey

bob
Thanks, it's the thought that counts!

Have great ride. :)
Old 07-09-2013, 07:30 PM   #40
Umarth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Red Necks!!

Day 21
In the mountains somewhere near Marysville, BC

What an interesting day this was going to end up being!

It all started quite normally, with Big O and me looking to hit the TCAT again. Getting to todays start point was drama free and the dirt road was free of those nasty 'road blocked' signs. Again, some real nice scenery.

Got some fluffy sand on one section that was like flour. Quite interesting moments there! :)

The road quickly turned to the mountains, or more precisely a valley in the mountains.

After a while I came across this dude in a little hybrid car coming the opposite way. We chatted for quite a while about life the universe and tar sands, him being from Alberta. He also told me that the road was washed out farther down the road. FUCK!!! But, being a bit pissed at having to turn around yet again, I decided to go see for my self. Not very far down the road I saw a sign saying that the road was a dead end 48km from here. That would be quite a turn around if I couldn't make it. So I looked at the gps and noticed that a line seemed too be branching off not to far away and going up and down the valley in the general direction on the TCAT trail. Let's go said Big O and off we where.

This was a gorgeous road.

Maybe half way through the valley, we came across this merry bunch of fellows:

I cought them just as the last traces of their last antic was fading away. One of the guys had pulled out his dreaded sun screen spray can and doused two of his friends. Well, this simply could not be left unpunished figured one of the two men deprived of the sun's rays! And what was closest at hand? A can of bear pepper spray... he actually sprayed the instigator, and an innocent by standard, with that shit! It took over an hour and half for the two legged bears of washing there eyes in the creek to get over the mind blowing pain of the pepper. Nice! I guess only real good friends can do shit like that and hope to get away with it... well, red neck friends anyway.

I ended up returning to there camp site, shared there food and beer. Even went out and played in the mud in there 4x4's. Of passing note, the campsite was at the start of the valley, so I ended up backtracking to the start point of the day!

They told me that it would be impossible for Big O to pass where they where going so Big was left behind. When we came back, for more beer, they decided to show me a red necks idea of a palace. But this time I decided to strip Big O of all his luggage and bring him along. God can Big O hit the trails when not burdened by all my junk. Went some nice stone bed creeks to a log cabin that some dude made. Here is the palace, or what we civilized people would call the 'shit house'.

You have to admit, that's pretty sweet crapper!

Later into the night, we played red neck Jenga. The idea is that each player get's his turn at laying a log on the fire, when you fail to balance it write and everything come crashing down, you have to chug your beer. One little note, the wood is on fire and FUCKING HOT!!

I don't have any pics of this, but I was introduces to red neck fire works too! The idea is quite simple, you need: a large mountain with no trees and a large calibre gun with a good sized clip! You shoot at the mountain the whole clip in a short burst and wait a second or two and see the sparks fly off the mountain... crazy fucking R.N's. Lol

The sky was stunning that night! Here is a poor picture of it, but I was distracted by all the hooliganisms going on around me, so took it quickly...

Big O's take on the day's events
You know, with all his talk of red necks, he sure fit in with disconcerting ease into that group. It might be time for him to come out of the closet and just admit it: I'm a big fat Red Neck!

Old 07-09-2013, 07:59 PM   #41
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,967
Quote:

Thanks.

Oh, and gunner, you up for a ride this Saturday? I'm in Vancouver at the moment and should be good to be in your neck of the woods Saturday...

How about we meet up Friday evening, camp a night and do some Island back roads... Sent you a pm...
gunnerbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:22 PM   #42
TOTim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Your RR makes me want to jump on the bike and ride. Thanks.
TOTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:27 AM   #43
Umarth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Big O goes on a cruise

Day 22
ended where: Osoyoos, BC

After leaving our beloved red necks, we headed once again into the valley. And yes, once again, the scenery was astounding. At one point, the road cross's Over the mountains. But the mountains are so steep that the road going up is just a series of switchbacks. Hell! That's the kind of shit you expect to see in Peru, not Canada. But contrary to the Peru or the Andes, the top was at 6500' and not 14000'. Still, very nice to experience...

And of course, ,as Newton so astutely observed: what goes up must come down! And an other series of hair pin switchback turns awaited us on the way down. But no pcs as I was to busy driving. Well, almost no pic. I just had to stop and take a pic of this hill Billie ambulance.

I don't no, but that was just weird. The van was pretty much abandoned on the side of this go nowhere road. I'm thinking it must be for the logging that goes on around the place...

In any case, we managed to follow the trail all the way to Kootenay lake. And with only one more 'road blocked' sign but our friends the red necks had told us how to bypass that. They had also informed us that the trail would bring us to a famous motorcycle road, the 3a, supposedly deemed one of the best on North America! Hot damn! Even if we where suppose to go north, we turned south toward Creston to ride this road. And yes, the road is beautiful and fun to ride. Lots of twisted and it follows Kootenay lake for some 60km. My only complaint to be honest was that traffic was rather slow and the twisties where lazy and would have been much more fun at triple digit speeds instead of 60-70km that the traffic was imposing.

Once we had hd our fill of the 3A, we turned around, heading for Nelson. But to get to Nelson, you need to take a ferry. Nice quick 30 min on the Kootenay lake.

After getting to nelson we decided to hit the tarmac for a bit and do some serious miles as the tcat was heading and was a bit to much of a detour from our destination of Vancouver island. So we set our sights on Osoyoos. Again, as usual In B.C., the scenery was gorgeous and the terrain was up then down, then up then down. At one point we fell 6000' in less than 10 minutes!

We did come across something that was just plain wrong in our mind:

I'm sorry, but even though I like Greenwood, I don't like him that much!

And the day ended with the descent into the tourist/resort town of Osoyoos. Again you go down like 4000' feet in just a few minutes. At one point, this is what the gps was showing....

Loving it!

Big O's take on the days events
I'm a Star! Just look at me! One day I'm doing single tracks, in 2 feet of water, going up 14% incline river beds full of baby head size rocks, and the next I'm scrapping my pegs in twisties! Who the fuck needs a GS1200? (imagine an evil/smug grin emoticon inserted here).

And for all my greatness what do I get? I second rate cruise! Some get month long cruises to Alaska! Me? Lake Kootenay on a cattle transport??? Arg! The ignominy of it should be enough to bring tears to yours eyes and hatred in your hearts for my rider!

Just look at this!

Shameful! Simply shameful!
Old 07-10-2013, 01:29 AM   #44
Umarth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOTim View Post
Your RR makes me want to jump on the bike and ride. Thanks.
That is the hope of this blog: make people slam the door open and jump on their bikes and head off on an adventure of there own!

Glad you like, I'm sure having fun doing it!
Old 07-17-2013, 06:03 PM   #45
G-Mac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
More we need more please
2002 XR250R Dirty Girl so fun to ride
1997 KLR 650 miss the old girl. Never washed!
G-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote