Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2013, 08:48 PM   #736
Bollocks
Farts with an Accent™

Oddometer: 5,097
I worked at a dealership while going to skool, had a guy call.

Him, " Ya I need a chain and sprocket set for my bike."

Me, "What type of bike mate?"

Him, " It's Red?"

Me, " OK, they will be here next week."

Him, "OK."

Then he hung up....

This waz the old days when stuff waz in stock so when he did show up we had them....after I went outside and saw his Red Honda XL.

The Self-Preservation Society
BMW F800R Grin factor 10
08 Triumph 1050 Toight like a Toiger RIP
Bollocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:47 AM   #737
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bollocks View Post
I worked at a dealership while going to skool, had a guy call.

Him, " Ya I need a chain and sprocket set for my bike."

Me, "What type of bike mate?"

Him, " It's Red?"

Me, " OK, they will be here next week."

Him, "OK."

Then he hung up....

This waz the old days when stuff waz in stock so when he did show up we had them....after I went outside and saw his Red Honda XL.
Yeah , the good old days. Now you can't even pick up a sparkplug at the dealer.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:36 PM   #738
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
Yeah , the good old days. Now you can't even pick up a sparkplug at the dealer.
I have yet to determine what they have in the stockroom at the local dealer, I can see shelves full of parts boxres back there but anything I need is special order.... Even simple things like valve shims, air filters, oil filters, gaskets, o-rings...

How the hell do they service bikes without these things in stock????
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:51 PM   #739
norcalwelder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
I work at a Kawasaki dealer....had a gal call up the other day and tell me she needed "the gasket" for her four wheeler. "The gasket? Which gasket?" I asked. "Uhhh.....shit....uhhh I guess the one of the drive shaft? Yeah, the drive shaft." "Front or rear drive shaft, inside or outside gasket?" Long pause..."I'll have my husband bring it in."

We got voted the best motorcycle shop in East Texas couple weeks ago too. The amount of stupidity that walks though the door on a daily basis blows my mind though!
Old 07-07-2013, 09:09 PM   #740
SportsGuy
icanhazdirt?

Oddometer: 538
Buying my new Tenere this past Saturday.

"I'm giving you a helluva deal here! About the only thing I can add here, at this point, is a can of creamed corn..."

Never did get the creamed corn, which I'd have enjoyed, but I did get a very good deal on the new bike. :)

A bit later, while doing the delivery walk-around, he mentioned all these things the shop did to prep the bike. Naturally I asked if they lubed the spokes.

I did this with a straight face.

He responded by saying "If that's part of the normal prep, I can assure you it was done!"

Now, in fairness, while this was all fun, the saleman and I have a good relationship, so I did let him off the hook on the lubed spokes point... ;)

We both had a couple good chuckles when the guy from the shop comes back to report, quite loudly, on my FJR as a trade and the "work" it would need. Apparently when you put 3000 miles on a front PR2, it only has about 20% life left in it...at least according to the doink from service... ;)

Salesman turned to me, equally as loud, and said "Looked like it had a hell of a lot more life left in it than that to me..." The funny thing is the rear PR2 was just starting to flatten along the centerline...which their "inspection" failed to turn up...LOL
SportsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:34 PM   #741
the_sandman_454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
I have yet to determine what they have in the stockroom at the local dealer, I can see shelves full of parts boxres back there but anything I need is special order.... Even simple things like valve shims, air filters, oil filters, gaskets, o-rings...

How the hell do they service bikes without these things in stock????
I suspect it involves them being petty about the fact that you're not using their service department to perform the work, so they're going to get back at you by making you wait. It is hard to even imagine them being so poorly mismanaged as to not have basic parts for their service folks to use and remain in business long. It is sort of funny, but what many dealers seem to fail to realize is that if the customer is going to have to order something anyway, he will likely do it online and skip the markup. Yet another way brick and mortar stores seemingly willingly shoot themselves in the foot.

Dealer here wanted to charge me $120 for the same crappy maintenance type battery that failed within a couple of years. I got a much better maintenance free AGM battery for $65 shipped to my door. I realize the dealer needs to make a reasonable amount but seriously, they could buy the battery I did at retail, mark it up $20-25 and sell them all day long vs having excessively marked up stock junk clogging the shelves. Of course that ignores the fact they can get them wholesale and make even more. Many people are willing to pay a premium to have the item same day, myself included.

the_sandman_454 screwed with this post 07-07-2013 at 10:43 PM
the_sandman_454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:38 AM   #742
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_sandman_454 View Post
Many people are willing to pay a premium to have the item same day, myself included.
I would gladly pay their 25% markup all day long if they would have the common parts I need when I need them, there is no reason in the world for me to "special order" through them for the parts I need.

I can get them cheaper and faster delivered to my house....
Old 07-08-2013, 07:22 AM   #743
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_sandman_454 View Post
...they could buy the battery I did at retail, mark it up $20-25 and sell them all day long vs having excessively marked up stock junk clogging the shelves.
When I needed a battery for my 990, the one the dealer had was $249! Honda had the same Yuasa in stock, minus the KTM logo, for $139. I found one online for, IIRC, $115 delivered. I bought the Honda one because it was in stock, and told my dealer about the online place I'd found them, and also that they had a raft of Yuasa batteries at very low prices. Figured they could save money, sell batteries for less than anyone else in town, and still make a profit. Nope. "Oh, we don't do that. If it's outside of our regular suppliers we won't deal with them." Ummm, ok?
This is the same dealer that took a year to get me a new visor for the XD3 they sold me. I found one and forgot I had one still on order, until they called me. The summer after I ordered it. A year later.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:30 AM   #744
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsGuy View Post
We both had a couple good chuckles when the guy from the shop comes back to report, quite loudly, on my FJR as a trade and the "work" it would need. Apparently when you put 3000 miles on a front PR2, it only has about 20% life left in it...at least according to the doink from service... ;)
...............LOL
How do you get 3k out of a PR@??? Mine were bald edge to edge in 2750!!!

(Boy I had a lot of fun in NC)
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:29 PM   #745
TobyG
be happy :)

Oddometer: 535
Only ordered form a dealer once, so far.
Let's say it was a rather unpleasant affair.

I needed to replace the swingarm and linkage bearings and bushings, a new chain slider and some shims for my 650GS,
I got the bearings locally, probably waaaay cheaper than what BMW would've billed me,
however, I'd ordered everything else from a dealer.

Of course, they've had nothing in stock, as expected.
First of all it took over a week for the parts to arrive, surprise, surprise, although I'd clearly stated I needed the bushings,
They'd ordered a couple of bearings (it wasn't even the right number of bearings, they forgot nearly half of them ).

Then they'd been a bit confused about which parts they needed, so they went ahead and asked me to go on their computer in their store to look up the part numbers in the fiche

Well, whatever, I needed those parts.
Of course, two of the bushings were not available anymore, luckily another one was nearly the same size, so I'd just ordered 2 more of those and had them turned down by a friend on his lathe. After I finally got them.

I mean, I did get them, after all, they'd sad they'd order them overnight.
I called 4 days later only to be told they'll be in tomorrow.
Some days later, another call they promised the parts would already sit on the counter and wait for me to pick them up. Only to be called back a couple minutes later and be told that they are still in the shiping compartment.

Long short story, I finally got the parts a good 4 weeks after I'd initially placed the order.

Never again am I gonna visit them.

I've also made positive experiences, though, in a small, independent MC garage where the owner is the only mechanic, awesome guy.
He got me the tire I needed within a day, made me a good deal including mounting&balancing and even installed it right when I brought the wheel in,
even though I could've easily waited a couple days, which he knew.
TobyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:21 PM   #746
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,654
I've never owned a European rig (nothing against them), so I can't say anything about them.

However, I can say the dealer mark up/ignorance at Japanese dealerships is about the same as "Made in America" dealers.

I buy my parts either online or from a local parts unlimited dealer/independent service shop.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:53 PM   #747
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,851
Quote:
When I needed a battery for my 990, the one the dealer had was $249! Honda had the same Yuasa in stock, minus the KTM logo, for $139. I found one online for, IIRC, $115 delivered.
You do realize that the retail prices are set by the manufacturer's importer and parts distributor, don't you?

The dealer can discount (or mark up) the suggested retail price but most generally work from the list price in the manufacturer's parts list. And part of their dealer franchise agreement is that they buy their OEM replacement parts from the manufacturer's distribution center. That's the difference between OEM and aftermarket. And the battery pricing you experienced. (I also bought my replacement 950 KTM battery from the Honda dealer.). The manufacturers and distributors cover their warranty costs as well as make a good portion of their operating budget from parts sales.

Smart dealers would offer you the choice of OEM or aftermarket with the appropriate price differential. But there really isn't much incentive for that. If I get 40% mark up, I make twice as much on the OEM KTM battery for the same effort as the $115 aftermarket battery. And I have the manufacturer's warranty on that part.

http://www.blackswanmoto.com
MJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:02 AM   #748
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,941
No problem at all with dealers not keeping every single SKU in stock for every single bike ever made. I understand that they have a limited budget to work with and need to stock the parts that are going to turn most frequently. I do have a problem with Parts guys that can't react to obvious discrepancies between what their recommended stock levels are on a given part and the real world.
Example: an air filter for a YZ250F is the exact same part number/SKU for well over 100 different Yamahas. The local guy didn't think he needed to carry it. OEM or aftermarket and he did stock Uni, TwinAir, etc.
I have dozens of examples similar to this, especially from when my son and I were riding dirt about 150 days/year and breaking/wearing out a lot of parts.

And like lots of folks here, I have NO problem paying a local guy a premium to have the parts I need in stock. I try fairly hard to support the local guys. I want them to stay in business. They need to realize that their competition isn't the guy down the road anymore, but the Internet. "I can order it for you" is a ridiculous statement to make anymore. I can order it myself, for cheaper and likely have it on my front doorstep before they've even keyed in the order.

Unfortunately, it *seems* that getting the cheapest parts guys behind the counter is the prime consideration for a lot of shops. I do business with a good number of shops within 50 miles of me to the point where most of the part guys, and the owners in many cases, are on a first name basis with me. Two good friends - parts managers at the two shops nearest me - have quit and left the industry in the last two weeks. These were guys who have been in the industry for at least the 15+ years I've known them.

Had a decent talk with the owner of another shop a while back about this situation. Was telling him that when I worked in a parts department back in high school (mid 1970s) we DID keep just about everything in stock and it was frustrating having to deal with situations like the air filter example above. He's been in business that long and responded that, yes, that is the case, but back then, ordering a part was frequently done by filling out a piece of paper, snail mailing it to the vendor and waiting the several weeks or so to get it in. If it wasn't backordered. Now, there's likely to be a distribution center within 1-2 days shipping time and it's all done online. So, they feel in many cases, it's more efficient to let the vendor be their warehouse. I get this and in a perfect world, it would probably work pretty well. But as we've all seen, there are a LOT of flaws in the system.

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:09 AM   #749
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS View Post
You do realize that the retail prices are set by the manufacturer's importer and parts distributor, don't you?

The dealer can discount (or mark up) the suggested retail price but most generally work from the list price in the manufacturer's parts list. And part of their dealer franchise agreement is that they buy their OEM replacement parts from the manufacturer's distribution center. That's the difference between OEM and aftermarket. And the battery pricing you experienced. (I also bought my replacement 950 KTM battery from the Honda dealer.). The manufacturers and distributors cover their warranty costs as well as make a good portion of their operating budget from parts sales.

Smart dealers would offer you the choice of OEM or aftermarket with the appropriate price differential. But there really isn't much incentive for that. If I get 40% mark up, I make twice as much on the OEM KTM battery for the same effort as the $115 aftermarket battery. And I have the manufacturer's warranty on that part.
Very short sighted.

40% of zero isn't much. The incentive is to produce sales. Walmart makes big money on a 3% or less mark-up by selling voulme. If you sell a non OEM part for 20% mark-up, but sell 100 of them it beats the hell out of 40% mark-up on 20 sales. As for warranty, the aftermarket also honors warranty through authorized retailers.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:11 AM   #750
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb57 View Post
No problem at all with dealers not keeping every single SKU in stock for every single bike ever made. I understand that they have a limited budget to work with and need to stock the parts that are going to turn most frequently. I do have a problem with Parts guys that can't react to obvious discrepancies between what their recommended stock levels are on a given part and the real world.
Example: an air filter for a YZ250F is the exact same part number/SKU for well over 100 different Yamahas. The local guy didn't think he needed to carry it. OEM or aftermarket and he did stock Uni, TwinAir, etc.
I have dozens of examples similar to this, especially from when my son and I were riding dirt about 150 days/year and breaking/wearing out a lot of parts.

And like lots of folks here, I have NO problem paying a local guy a premium to have the parts I need in stock. I try fairly hard to support the local guys. I want them to stay in business. They need to realize that their competition isn't the guy down the road anymore, but the Internet. "I can order it for you" is a ridiculous statement to make anymore. I can order it myself, for cheaper and likely have it on my front doorstep before they've even keyed in the order.

Unfortunately, it *seems* that getting the cheapest parts guys behind the counter is the prime consideration for a lot of shops. I do business with a good number of shops within 50 miles of me to the point where most of the part guys, and the owners in many cases, are on a first name basis with me. Two good friends - parts managers at the two shops nearest me - have quit and left the industry in the last two weeks. These were guys who have been in the industry for at least the 15+ years I've known them.

Had a decent talk with the owner of another shop a while back about this situation. Was telling him that when I worked in a parts department back in high school (mid 1970s) we DID keep just about everything in stock and it was frustrating having to deal with situations like the air filter example above. He's been in business that long and responded that, yes, that is the case, but back then, ordering a part was frequently done by filling out a piece of paper, snail mailing it to the vendor and waiting the several weeks or so to get it in. If it wasn't backordered. Now, there's likely to be a distribution center within 1-2 days shipping time and it's all done online. So, they feel in many cases, it's more efficient to let the vendor be their warehouse. I get this and in a perfect world, it would probably work pretty well. But as we've all seen, there are a LOT of flaws in the system.

I am with you on this, but I have an issue with them not even stocking simply maintenance parts like valve shims. These things are tiny, take up almost no space, and are cheap..

Any dealer I have called in the area (out to 50 miles from my house) has informed me that they are special order parts and that it will be 3-5 business days to get them. I can get them faster and cheaper to my doorstep, why would I order through them? If you had them in stock I would pay the premium to be able to complete the maintenance on my bike in a single day.

How on earth do they do valve adjustments on customer bikes? Tear them down and take up shop space for a week waiting on parts?