Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2013, 09:34 AM   #61
Mr.Meaner
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Along for the ride.

Hi Jeff,

Glad to see you are making headway. Did the Alaska trip from Ottawa in 09 and the premium gas situation got worse as we headed north. The temps cooled off a bit so that helped somewhat...octane knock is not something you want to hear all day, the engine will not thank you for it.
Keep Smiling!

Rick
CMC011
Ottawa, On
Mr.Meaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:34 AM   #62
BTL
OMG!! Winter is back

Oddometer: 371
Great ride report so far...if your in Edmonton and in need...send me a pm.
BTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:16 AM   #63
ReadyFreddy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Hi Jeff,
Sorry I missed you before leaving. I hope that the trip is going well so far (barring the mosquitoes...
I will be looking forward to seeing your progress. It looks like many peeps will be following your progress.
Good Luck and Stay Safe!!
Anthony
ReadyFreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:01 AM   #64
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Oddometer: 323
Day 5

Last night a freaky thunder and light show plus some real heavy downpours, I did keep an eye out for any weird shit because you never know on the prairie, luckily every thing stayed dry and this morning the sun is out, so back to riding with a smile.
Had I stayed on the road for another 50km I would have made it to a rest stop and another just 25km further, whats up with this, two in all of Manitoba and both beside each other, go figure.
I thought Manitoba was bad with rest spots but Saskatchewan has that beat hands down, they have these way off the road spots and you can stay for a fee, I did stop to look at a few and some you would have had to pay me to stay there, finally fond a spot after riding until it was dark in Gull Lake, run by the city and only $10, very clean and used by a lot of bikers.
Not much to see out here, just battling strong head winds all day, and that's not very good for the gas mileage, so the reporting on the budget will have to be done some other way, because when you ride some long distances the gas used will throw things off, the budget is for 250 km per day or about $18 and $32 for food and lodging, most likely I will do a quarterly (50 days) update or so.
The one nice thing about riding on the prairie is you can see what kind of weather is coming so you can wait for it to pass by or gun it.

Next stop Lethbridge, Alberta and a stay with inmate albertabob.

Will do some more updates later, but need to ride for now

Jeff
Super Tenere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:55 PM   #65
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Daisy View Post
Hi Jeff,
Sorry we missed seeing you before your departure. Sending you wishes for good weather and good roads. We will be following your trip with interest and envy. Take good care and enjoy every moment.
All the best, Patti.
Thanks Patti for coming along, I know you have done some crazy rides yourself, so this may be one to do with Bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazycanuc View Post
Jeff,

Campgrounds that I could find on-line around Moose Jaw are:

Buffalo Pound/Elmview, from MJ, N 11 mi on Hwy 2 to Hwy 202, E 6.8 mi, $15 to $24/day

Buffalo Pound/Maple Vale, from MJ, N 11 mi on Hwy 2 to Hwy 202, E 6.8 mi,$15 to $20/day

Prairie Oasis Tourist Complex,955 Thatcher DR E. Moose Jaw $34 to $39/day!!!
That's great Jacques, to bad I did not look until today, so sorry I missed it.

Jeff
Old 07-08-2013, 04:08 PM   #66
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbh40a View Post
I'm in. Rode the Dempster last summer..Interested to see how the hammock tarp thingy works for you in the Great White North.
That makes both of us tvbh40a, so far it's been great, no back pain yet, always have trouble with thin foam stuff and an air mattress is to bulky and heavy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdawg View Post
if you are going down PCH 1 and get to Santa Cruz, CA., send me a message. Don't have camp space but can offer bed and shower along with a meal if that helps.
Thanks hdawg for the offer, will keep you in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmnthead View Post
Just offering up my help as well, when you get to Panama, you are welcome to hang your helmet at my shack on the beach. Stay a while and relax, enjoy the typical Panamanian lifestyle. Playa Uverito near Las Tablas in the Provence of Los Santos.
Safe travels
That's an offer to good to resist Cmnthead, will send PM when in Panama and keep in mind, just may never leave .

Jeff
Old 07-08-2013, 04:14 PM   #67
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloj0 View Post
I kept a blog, slojo.tumblr.com

re: your problems with regular fuel, you may encounter some issues further down the track as premium can get a bit scarce in some countries, an octane booster might be good idea.

Free camping got a bit difficult for me between Ecuador and Mexico, lack of open public land I guess, but cheap hostels are fairly common there.
Thanks sloj0 will bring some booster along and read your blog as soon as I have some down time.

Jeff
Old 07-08-2013, 04:23 PM   #68
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerdog53 View Post
Wow! Beech 18 on Flotes!
Nice plane for sure, the engine's look like the ones that are in a DC3, but don't know much about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keating View Post
Wow! What a beautiful Twin Beech. Could use a little cleaning and some polish...
ETA: I'm a bush/float plane fan....
The town planted it there some 20 years ago, and was a real beauty back then (according to the guy at the coffee shop), to bad it's starting to look weather beaten. Maybe a project in the making?

Jeff
Old 07-08-2013, 04:30 PM   #69
LE Trainer
Bad Buddhist

Oddometer: 154
Subscribed. Doing the same trip starting June of 2017 when I retire at the ripe old age of 55 from civil service. If you end up near Rochester, NY (unlikely, I know) shoot me a PM and you won't be camping.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:38 PM   #70
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Meaner View Post
Hi Jeff,

Glad to see you are making headway. Did the Alaska trip from Ottawa in 09 and the premium gas situation got worse as we headed north. The temps cooled off a bit so that helped somewhat...octane knock is not something you want to hear all day, the engine will not thank you for it.
Keep Smiling!

Rick
CMC011
Ottawa, On
Hey Rick did not know that you had done that ride, would have been good to talk to you about it, and I will bring some booster along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTL View Post
Great ride report so far...if your in Edmonton and in need...send me a pm.
Thanks BTL for the offer, just past Edmonton now, but will keep you in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
Hi Jeff,
Sorry I missed you before leaving. I hope that the trip is going well so far (barring the mosquitoes...
I will be looking forward to seeing your progress. It looks like many peeps will be following your progress.
Good Luck and Stay Safe!!
Anthony
Thanks Anthony for coming along, to bad your not ready yet to do the ride, but maybe next time, that would have been a blast.

Jeff
Old 07-08-2013, 04:52 PM   #71
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by LE Trainer View Post
Subscribed. Doing the same trip starting June of 2017 when I retire at the ripe old age of 55 from civil service. If you end up near Rochester, NY (unlikely, I know) shoot me a PM and you won't be camping.
That's great LE Trainer to have you along, hope that this ride can provide you with some useful information.

And funny how things in life go but I was at the Wafarer chapel in Rancho Palos Verdes, California for my sons wedding this spring and it is the most spectacular place to go and see.

Jeff
Old 07-08-2013, 05:34 PM   #72
Tom48
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
Jim,

I signed up. Ride Safe and aware.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:44 AM   #73
Mr.Meaner
n00b

Oddometer: 8
hot springs

Hey Jeff

I assume you are traveling the Alaska highway...if so do yourself a favor and spend a couple of hours soaking...does wonders!!

The Liard River Hot Springs are located in Liard River Hotsprings Provincial Park in the Liard River Valley, at kilometer 765 of the Alaska Highway 97, approximately 38 miles (60 km) north of Muncho Lake Provincial Park and 3 hours north of Fort Nelson.

Ride safe,
Rick
Mr.Meaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:11 PM   #74
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
Jim,

I signed up. Ride Safe and aware.
Great to have you along Tom48.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Meaner View Post
Hey Jeff

I assume you are traveling the Alaska highway...if so do yourself a favor and spend a couple of hours soaking...does wonders!!

The Liard River Hot Springs are located in Liard River Hotsprings Provincial Park in the Liard River Valley, at kilometer 765 of the Alaska Highway 97, approximately 38 miles (60 km) north of Muncho Lake Provincial Park and 3 hours north of Fort Nelson.

Ride safe,
Rick
Thanks Rick will look this up and soak for a while.

Jeff
Old 07-09-2013, 01:19 PM   #75
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 6

More riding through the prairies, so not much to see or do, plus some very strong head winds all day, I know something is a brewing and sure enough around 3pm the weather turned real nasty in Fort MacLeod, I was lucky to make it into a Tim Hortons because a torrential downpour with hail came down with some wind gust that would have blown me off the road.

When I pulled into Timmies another couple of bikers that I had meet at Gull Lake came in and together we waited for the storm to pass, with all of us trying to get some weather updates one of the ladies was getting mad at her new I-pad, she says I'm on the Internet but nothing works, me being a tech guy explain that she has to open a browser first and agree to the terms before it will work, and now I know why or paths did cross again, she probably would have figured it out at some point in time, but just same.

Made it to Pincher Creek, Alberta today and I am staying with inmate Albertabob, he has offered a spare room for the night and I won't say no to that. Picture will follow.

Next stop somewhere along the Rocky Mountains towards Prince George, BC.