ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2013, 10:18 AM   #46
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,070
That's just sick Perry.

Bigtodd got one too - low time 525 with a freshened motor and a plate. Already sprung for a big boy too.

There are deals out there people, you just have to be ready to pounce.

There are also some pre- '04 bikes that got plates under the old rule. All manner of models, even some 2-strokes. I rode a plated GasGas for several years, it was a '97.

This is probly at least 10 years ago, taken up on Sherman Pass Jeep Trail, Kennedy Meadows.

browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:21 AM   #47
Jeff aka BOLT
Prefer Saturdays

Oddometer: 1,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Oh noes, it's after the 2004 cut off date and it's illegal....the sky is falling.
Well he doesn't have a plate yet... and having a friend at the DMV is where the confidence is coming from.

It's the definition of LEGAL that gets debated. There is always a way. But walking out of the DMV with a plate defines success... not legality.

Guests are encouraged.
Jeff aka BOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:48 AM   #48
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Oddometer: 5,477
Quote:
Oh noes, it's after the 2004 cut off date and it's illegal....the sky is falling.

What cutoff date? The DMV goes by the vin number, not the year model.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:26 PM   #49
mr. thumbs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,007
Quote:

So would a 04 be plateable?
mr. thumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #50
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. thumbs View Post
So would a 04 be plateable?
Yes it would, IF the 8th digit in the vin# is NOT a C or a 3. BUY THAT 04'!

here's my 04' with a plate. it used to be sooo nice before two and a half years of abuse.

in the mud....

or the snow....

or the desert....

or in a ditch, the 525 always comes through.

pcvance screwed with this post 07-08-2013 at 01:15 PM
pcvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:49 PM   #51
mr. thumbs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,007
I just might have to. I like my TE310 but I need to love my bike. I loved my 200mxc with the Rekluse. It was the best bike for KM and the like. Fell short in the open desert but still hauled the mail.

For Sale
09 Husky TE310
Big tank and stock tank
Up-tite exhaust
Up-tite skid plate and exhaust guard
Seat concept seat
new battery - lithium
upgraded powerband
new flux capacitor
3500 miles
$3000
mr. thumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #52
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Quote:
I just might have to. I like my TE310 but I need to love my bike. I loved my 200mxc with the Rekluse. It was the best bike for KM and the like. Fell short in the open desert but still hauled the mail.

For Sale
09 Husky TE310
Big tank and stock tank
Up-tite exhaust
Up-tite skid plate and exhaust guard
Seat concept seat
new battery - lithium
upgraded powerband
new flux capacitor
3500 miles
$3000
Yeah, I'm thinking of a 300 with a Nevada plate....I'd like to own!
Old 07-08-2013, 02:31 PM   #53
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
>snip

upgraded powerband
new flux capacitor
3500 miles
$3000
The 'powerband'...is that like a rubber band for your motor? Does it make it spin faster?
And the capacitor...for time travel?

If I had an extra three grand lying around I'd take it off your hands. The newer ones are even better. Is that a red-head one?

On the '04 450/525EXC - not legally plate-able. Yeah, if you know someone at DMV that will perjure themselves you might get a plate, or if you get a dumb one and they do it by mistake. It does not have a federal EPA sticker.

CARB/DMV cut off all plating of non-road motorcycles as of the '04 year and model. 2007 was the first year that CARB issued a certification for hiway on the EXC's, and ONLY for the 450/525EXC - not MXC, not any other models, not the 250 either.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:46 PM   #54
SloCalSpode
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post

This is probly at least 10 years ago, taken up on Sherman Pass Jeep Trail, Kennedy Meadows.

Funny thing, and I hate to piss in anyone's coolaid, but that KDX on the
right side of your picture now has a street plate.

It's all good Chris, just had to toss in my 2 cents.
Jeff
SloCalSpode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:36 PM   #55
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Hey Jeffery - my KM buddy!!

Is that the same KDX as in my photo from 10 years ago? Is that the one that I painted the frame for your resto?

You remember that ride, don't you? We had someone along that was a doddler and I got tired of waiting and rode back to camp on the road.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:25 AM   #56
Rob578
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
I have a Husky WR300 with a VA registration good until 2015. On Sunday the nice ladies at Carnegie told me all I needed to do was to buy the $30 out of state visitors OHV sticker and I could ride it. Of course I'm keeping my VA DL as long as I still own property there. Not really applicable to the OP but still an interesting way to ride a red sticker bike in the summer.
Rob578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:38 AM   #57
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvance View Post
What cutoff date? The DMV goes by the vin number, not the year model.

Yeah, I know, but the internet myth says that they stopped allowing bikes without a plate to get one after some mythical date in 2004. It's been spread in this thread already.
larryboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:17 AM   #58
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Quote:
Yeah, I know, but the internet myth says that they stopped allowing bikes without a plate to get one after some mythical date in 2004. It's been spread in this thread already.
I guess we shall see when I go back in for the plate. I was told by DMV that they go by the vin#, no C or 3 your good to go. 8th digit. Now That I've invested $450 In the BD light kit and the time to install it, I sure hope it goes through.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:30 AM   #59
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Let us know how it goes Perry.

For a 2004 the C or 3 just means it's green sticker or red sticker. Does not grant it hiway usage. You may get a dumb clerk that will do it, but don't be surprised if they turn you down. The answer you got could very well have been referring to later models that are CARB certified for hiway licensure.

KTM does not state on their MSO (manufacturers statement of origin) that the bike is 'offroad use only' or 'competition use only' so that helps. But those were not hiway bikes and on a new title application they are required to do a vin check, specifically looking for a 50-state EPA sticker saying it conforms to federal hiway standards. The inspector will ask you where this sticker is. They have to sign the VIN Check form that it has it on there, enter their badge number and contact phone number. This is what confuses some (Larry) on "going by the VIN." The VIN has a year of manufacture coded into it, and 2004 KTM EXC's are not CARB legal for hiway use. And yes, the cutoff was 2004 for getting non-hiway motorcycles plated. It also happened that there were no newer bikes that year (2004) so that's where the year cutoff moniker comes from.

You will also need a lighting inspection certificate and sign an affidavit that the bike meets hiway regs for safety equipment. However they do not check for this equipment, you sign that it has it. Some bike shops can provide this for you - I got one done without them even looking at it for $50.

Good luck! Kali-Jerry got his, maybe you will too.

browneye screwed with this post 07-12-2013 at 11:02 AM
Old 07-09-2013, 11:51 AM   #60
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Let us know how it goes Perry.

For a 2004 the C or 3 just means it's green sticker or red sticker. Does not grant it hiway usage. You may get a dumb clerk that will do it, but don't be surprised if they turn you down. The answer you got could very well have been referring to later models that are CARB certified for hiway licensure.

KTM does not state on their MSO (manufacturers statement of origin) that the bike is 'offroad use only' or 'competition use only' so that helps. But those were not hiway bikes and on a new title application they are required to do a vin check, specifically looking for a 50-state EPA sticker saying it conforms to federal hiway standards. The inspector will ask you where this sticker is. They have to sign the VIN Check form that it has it on there, enter their badge number and contact phone number. This is what confuses some (Larry) on "going by the VIN." The VIN has a year of manufacture coded into it, and 2004 KTM EXC's are not CARB legal for hiway use. And yes, the cutoff was 2004 for getting non-hiway motorcycles plated. It also happened that there were no newer bikes that year (2004) so that's where the year cutoff moniker comes from.

You will also need a lighting inspection certificate and sign an affidavit that the bike meets hiway regs for safety equipment. However they do not check for this equipment, you sign that it has it. Some bike shops can provide this for you - I got one done without them even looking at it for $50.

Good luck! Jerry Jahn got his, maybe you will too.
Haha yeah, and Jerry's is an XCW.
My local Yamaha dealer is doing the Vin check and light cert., they do alot conversions on new(WR450) and used dual sports. They have a plated 450X for sale now. I should have this done by the end of this week. I'll post up after my trip to DMV.