User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2013, 09:46 AM   #1996
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,637
ORexpat,
Now I see why you wanted to move back to the Northwet.
Beautiful scenery and nice ride report.
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:02 AM   #1997
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Oddometer: 2,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnone View Post
orexpat,
now i see why you wanted to move back to the northwet.
Beautiful scenery and nice ride report.

ORexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:01 AM   #1998
Burninator
Zed's dead

Oddometer: 294
Kawasaki Low Bar Vibration

I recently replaced the original high bars with Kawasaki low bars and Napoleon bar end mirrors. As mentioned before, it was a huge improvement in riding geometry and handling with one exception. More vibration, bordering on uncomfortable. I attribute some of this to the bar end mirrors.

To reduce handlebar vibrations, I went to a local outdoors store and picked up a bottle of "Slinky Maker, 0.300". I'm no fisherman, so I have no idea what this stuff is used for, but it is basically a container full of approximately 1/4" lead balls. Took off a mirror at a time and poured in as many lead balls would fit. The nice thing about these is they are big enough so as not to fall out of the small hole in the center of the handlebars.

Went for a ride yesterday and can say that vibration is greatly reduced, with both mirrors clearer at highway speeds!
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:03 AM   #1999
Burninator
Zed's dead

Oddometer: 294
Looking for...

Anyone have the following items they would like to unload?

-Corbin Gunfighter
-Dart Flyscreen

Let me know.

Scott
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:51 AM   #2000
BravoFox
Twin With a Kick

Oddometer: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonad Nomad View Post
I recently replaced the original high bars with Kawasaki low bars and Napoleon bar end mirrors. As mentioned before, it was a huge improvement in riding geometry and handling with one exception. More vibration, bordering on uncomfortable. I attribute some of this to the bar end mirrors.

To reduce handlebar vibrations, I went to a local outdoors store and picked up a bottle of "Slinky Maker, 0.300". I'm no fisherman, so I have no idea what this stuff is used for, but it is basically a container full of approximately 1/4" lead balls. Took off a mirror at a time and poured in as many lead balls would fit. The nice thing about these is they are big enough so as not to fall out of the small hole in the center of the handlebars.

Went for a ride yesterday and can say that vibration is greatly reduced, with both mirrors clearer at highway speeds!
Well, it's a 650 parallel twin, not a smooth 4 cylinder road bike... so you'll always get vibes, it comes with the territory.. Try a 'true" Brit iron such as a Domi or even a modern HD V-twin, you will go back to the W without even noticing any vibrations !! .
Old 07-09-2013, 10:00 AM   #2001
Zeon
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Exhaust header gaskets

Amateur mechanic question here. Be kind.
Replaced my existing pipes with factory replacements.

When I put the new pipes on, I noticed that at the block, pipe is slightly loose even though cap nuts are torqued properly, and the pipe has a slight leak when engine is running.

Looking at an online schematic, I see there is a gasket, part number 1106A in addition to the 2 piece collar, part 92152.

Thing is, when I took it apart I don't recall seeing a gasket, so not sure if it is still there stuck to block or disintegrated.
It did not leak prior to my putting the new pipes on.

Do I have to go back to the dealer and hope this is a generic part they have in stock, or worse, order and wait a week or more while its on backorder?

Any other suggestions?
Thanks!
Old 07-09-2013, 10:10 AM   #2002
BravoFox
Twin With a Kick

Yes, unless your bike was brand new, changing the gasket is a must.
It might be still stuck inside flatted out. Either way, as a matter of principle, if there is a gasket when you dismantle, replace by new one.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:26 AM   #2003
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Oddometer: 2,629
I haven't pulled the exhausts on my Dub, but others (Honda, etc.) have had a copper crush ring as a gasket. Because they get crushed down they might have stuck in the exhausts, or may still be in the head. But they're a one-time-crush. As noted above, if that's what they are, they must be replaced.

ORexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:56 AM   #2004
tonymorr
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,450
Nice W in the fleamarket.

Who said that?

tonymorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #2005
chupa88
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
2000 W seat for sale in parts forum

Check it out folks!

Thanks!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...6#post21825756
chupa88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:49 PM   #2006
kirkemon
n00b

Oddometer: 8
[QUOTE=Gonad Nomad;21816106]I recently replaced the original high bars with Kawasaki low bars and Napoleon bar end mirrors. As mentioned before, it was a huge improvement in riding geometry and handling with one exception. More vibration, bordering on uncomfortable. I attribute some of this to the bar end mirrors. /QUOTE]

Yes, the factory low bars are they way to go. Some people cheapen out and use shims for 7/8" bars. Also, having the cables the correct length is a good thing.
The best improvement is progressive fork springs. I also added Ikon shocks.
kirkemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:30 AM   #2007
BravoFox
Twin With a Kick

Well, let's bring some nuance here... The factory bars, whether low or high, are 1" diameter in the middle and 7/8" where the controls go (Kawa must have heard the complaints coz the W800 has a plain 7/8" now!).
A 1' will fit the grommets, yet won't allow you to install the original controls. Worse, the clamps for the levers are 1" since they are supposed to fit right at the edge of the 1' part of the bar.. ;)

So if you are looking into a handlebar which is in-between, there is no choice left but aftermarket 22mm with shims.

That non-standard handlebar and the exhaust system in one piece are the most annoying aspects of the W650 IMO.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:37 AM   #2008
acap650
acap650

Oddometer: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoFox View Post
Well, let's bring some nuance here... The factory bars, whether low or high, are 1" diameter in the middle and 7/8" where the controls go (Kawa must have heard the complaints coz the W800 has a plain 7/8" now!).
A 1' will fit the grommets, yet won't allow you to install the original controls. Worse, the clamps for the levers are 1" since they are supposed to fit right at the edge of the 1' part of the bar.. ;)

So if you are looking into a handlebar which is in-between, there is no choice left but aftermarket 22mm with shims.

That non-standard handlebar and the exhaust system in one piece are the most annoying aspects of the W650 IMO.
Yes the handlebar is one of those little mysteries that makes these bikes unique. It's hard to believe the designers intended to do it this way, perhaps they wanted the look of a fat bar but did not want a fat grip (small Asian hands?). I tend to think it's just a case of economy, using a combo of existing controls from the parts bin with the retro look. The other strange thing on the bars is the insert welded in at the throttle end. I removed mine to have the option of bar end weights or mirrors only to find that the internal diameter is different left to right.

While the one piece exhaust makes it difficult to swap silencers I think they got the sound right on the stock setup (at least on mine).
acap650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:23 AM   #2009
BravoFox
Twin With a Kick

Absolutely.
I didn't even debaffle mine, but merely drilled several times thru the 40000 kms-old mufflers... The result is amazing. So sound-wise, the result is above satisfactory !

Yet aesthetically, my project included megaphones, or at least T140-style peashooters. Well, I've given up, the alternatives being either cutting and welding, or a complete new line at 1000€ +
Old 07-14-2013, 05:50 PM   #2010
nick77
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonad Nomad View Post
Anyone have the following items they would like to unload?

-Corbin Gunfighter
-Dart Flyscreen

Let me know.

Scott
You still looking for parts above? I may be able to help you out. I picked up a W650 the other day with a bunch of high dollar parts on it as well as spare oem parts. I am going back stock with the bike.
nick77 is offline   Reply With Quote