Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2013, 07:44 AM   #19501
jpk1080
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Thanks for the reply and video link. It's the S model. I could not see through the middle jet so i'm curious if that could my issue.
jpk1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:55 AM   #19502
wingam00
Formely AKA Wingam00

Oddometer: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk1080 View Post
Thanks for the reply and video link. It's the S model. I could not see through the middle jet so i'm curious if that could my issue.

Try blowing air or spaying carb cleaner through the jet. Would bet that is your problem.

“There is only one reason for pavement and that is to get to dirt.” - “King” Richard Burleson

-- If you argue with a Fool you are a FOOL! --

wingam00 screwed with this post 07-09-2013 at 09:22 AM
wingam00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:08 AM   #19503
WageSlave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
My new (to me) commuter

I picked this up yesterday and am happy to have a bike again.

Current ride - '09 DRZ-400SM (Adventurized)
WageSlave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:14 AM   #19504
Falcon86
I just work here.

Oddometer: 1,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by WageSlave View Post
She's a beaut!

TW rear tire on the front?
Falcon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:45 AM   #19505
tdrrally
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,323
is the sm rear rotour larger than an e ?
Old 07-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #19506
THRASHED
Moving on Up

Oddometer: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by WageSlave View Post
Nice bike, but that's a BIG tire up front..
THRASHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:19 AM   #19507
THRASHED
Moving on Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondLie View Post
Who cares what a chart says if the bikes feels right to YOU?
I thought that might come out a little off. I was just surprised that it seemed sprung for my weight. I totally agree with the "feel".
Old 07-09-2013, 10:21 AM   #19508
THRASHED
Moving on Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaws View Post
So I finally got the 17" street tires on my S model and the handling is all messed up. The front feels way too high now and I can't turn for crap! I'm just trying to do some street commuting trying to save the thread life of my knobbies for the dirt. Any advise?

Not sure how the front would feel too high. You dropped the front end 1.5 inches so it's lower. As far as turning, it may just be a learning curve with the different diameter tire and smooth tread.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:09 AM   #19509
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 1,918
OK, I have a question about the water pump leak issue that DRZ's have.

I have an '07 E-Model, and after a particularly high speed (for me, 65mph) 50 mile off-road loop yesterday I noticed that there was some coolant leaking onto the skidplate.

Apparently this is a pretty typical problem for the DRZ? I have seen two fixes for it, one is to buy an entire new pump assembly including gaskets for about $100-$130 and replace everything. The other is to buy all new gaskets and pull the old pump apart and RTV the ceramic washer to the back of the pump face to prevent coolant from leaking out the shaft.

Has anyone done either of these? Preferences? I have been leaning toward doing the new pump, which suzuki supposedly updated, but when I look on RonAyers or BikeBandit they have two different part numbers for the "water pump assembly", does anyone know which one is the "updated" assembly and which one is the old style?

Thanks!

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:47 PM   #19510
focallength
Numpty

Oddometer: 4,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk1080 View Post
I was told to throw this in here as well as you guys may be able to help. Thank you.

DRZ 400 carb issues:

I recently bought a 2001 drz 400. It only has 1900 miles and is in awesome shape but it sat for a few years so it ran really rough when i went to look at it initially. the seller had taken it in a few times to have the carb cleaned out two previous times for the same reason; having sat too long. the bike runs with the chock on pretty well only missing a few times here and there. after its warmed up you can give it throttle and rpms increase fine. if you take the chock off though with no throttle, it dies. anyways, b/c of other interest in the bike, i had to pull the trigger prior to having the carb worked on by his shop. anyways, i have since pulled the carb off and drained the fuel as well as the fuel tank. i took the carb apart and cleaned everything out. it all looked pretty well. i cleaned 3 jets and the rest of it out, and reassembled. the bike still runs basically like it did before. i have a few questions that i was hoping a few people might be able to help with. of the 3 jets in there that i cleaned, the middle one i could not see through while the other two i could. should the middle jet be the same as the other two or does it operate differently? also, could it be the fuel metering screw that could be causing the issue and if so, approximately where should it be? this bike has not been rejetted and does not have the 3x3 mod. is there a way to adjust this screw from outside of the carb or is it basically just trial and error as in you have ot pull it off and reassembly every time you make an adjustment? thanks very much for your time and possible solutions.

Buy an FCR-MX
Old 07-09-2013, 12:48 PM   #19511
focallength
Numpty

Oddometer: 4,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post

I have an '07 E-Model, and after a particularly high speed (for me, 65mph) 50 mile off-road loop yesterday I noticed that there was some coolant leaking onto the skidplate.

Apparently this is a pretty typical problem for the DRZ? I have seen two fixes for it, one is to buy an entire new pump assembly including gaskets for about $100-$130 and replace everything. The other is to buy all new gaskets and pull the old pump apart and RTV the ceramic washer to the back of the pump face to prevent coolant from leaking out the shaft.

Has anyone done either of these? Preferences? I have been leaning toward doing the new pump, which suzuki supposedly updated, but when I look on RonAyers or BikeBandit they have two different part numbers for the "water pump assembly", does anyone know which one is the "updated" assembly and which one is the old style?

Thanks!
Just but a new seal, $25, people make it more complicated than it is
Old 07-09-2013, 12:51 PM   #19512
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 1,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by focallength View Post
Just but a new seal, $25, people make it more complicated than it is
Which seal? The ceramic one at the back of the impeller shaft? If I do that I'll also need all the gaskets for the water pump as well as the primary cover gasket on that side. That will likely end up costing a lot more then $25. If you're talking about the gasket on the outer water pump cover, that doesn't seem to be the source of the leak.

And FYI I have tried searching ADV Rider and this thread, but it appears that the search function is down.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:18 PM   #19513
Draft
Master Moose

Oddometer: 11
here is my adventure build

it is a 2001 drz400e that i spent a bunch of time on, the valves are a little sticky right now, im trying to work that out.
Draft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:03 PM   #19514
WageSlave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by THRASHED View Post
Nice bike, but that's a BIG tire up front..
Previous owner put these tires on the bike. I like the aggressive look but when it's time to put new tires on I will go with something different.

Current ride - '09 DRZ-400SM (Adventurized)
WageSlave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:56 PM   #19515
Psycho18th
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post

Thanks!
http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/194...ater-pump-fix/
This link is what I used to do the water pump fix when mine started leaking. No issues for a couple years since.
Psycho
02 SUZ JR50 and 00 YAM TTR 90 (kids' bikes)
89 Lockheed F-16C (Work vehicle )
Psycho18th is offline   Reply With Quote