User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2013, 04:01 AM   #91
hilslamer
2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer: 1,784
Glued....

...to this thread. I moved to Christchurch, NZ only to find the Antarctic Center here, and realize that it might be possible to get a job down there. The thread has sold me; I will do my best to get DOWN THERE while I'm down here.

Outstanding story, photos, and insights - even if it started on 4 wheels, I don't know that I would brave anything like that on 2 wheels, unless maybe on a studded-up set of tires on something like this(if it would run in -30 deg F...):

http://www.moto-mule.com/dunebikes.html

Epic, in any case - subscribed, of course - keep it coming!
hilslamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:56 AM   #92
Red liner
n00b

Oddometer: 6
I think you're THE guy to ask this question to.

How do you keep regular camera batteries or even those AA or AAA batteries insulated from all the cold? Don't those just die otherwise?

Been looking for a quick DIY solution, but couldn't come up with any.

Fab pictures btw.
Red liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:28 AM   #93
AKMotorbiker
Searching for sanity

Oddometer: 223
Subscribed!!

Loving this report. It's a very unique and different adventure. I love the pics and videos.
Searching for Sanity: Newest Chapter- Death Valley
AKMotorbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:44 AM   #94
travelingaustralian OP
Globe Trotting

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red liner View Post
I think you're THE guy to ask this question to.

How do you keep regular camera batteries or even those AA or AAA batteries insulated from all the cold? Don't those just die otherwise?

Been looking for a quick DIY solution, but couldn't come up with any.

Fab pictures btw.
I just keep them in my jacket pocket close to my body. I have 2 batteries for my camera and replace it with the one in my pocket. I then put the flat battery in my pocket as it warms back up it gets more life into it. If im doing time laps i cover my camera with a t shirt then use heat trace wrapped around it that I can plug into a power point.

"Quad Biking in Antarctica"----->http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...886240&page=10
travelingaustralian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:20 AM   #95
Red liner
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingaustralian View Post
I just keep them in my jacket pocket close to my body. I have 2 batteries for my camera and replace it with the one in my pocket. I then put the flat battery in my pocket as it warms back up it gets more life into it. If im doing time laps i cover my camera with a t shirt then use heat trace wrapped around it that I can plug into a power point.
Wow, is that enough? I've been trekking high altitude and in cold weather (not as cold as yours!), but have always been unsuccessful at having batteries retain their charge.
Red liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:37 PM   #96
Lacedaemon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red liner View Post
Wow, is that enough? I've been trekking high altitude and in cold weather (not as cold as yours!), but have always been unsuccessful at having batteries retain their charge.
Many of the more power hungry cameras (like DSLRs) have an external battery pack on an extension wire as an accessory - they can either be used to extend shooting time for professionals running large or multiple flashes, or can be worn full time inside one's clothing keeping the batteries warm even when the cameras are cold.

For anyone looking to shoot in cold weather, it might be worth investigating whether one of these is available for your camera, or buying a camera with such an accessory when the time comes for new gear.

Another tip (which may not be adequate for Antarctica!) is that lithium batteries are much less affected by cold than other types.
Lacedaemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:46 PM   #97
jtb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,080
Awesome pics and write up! You are doing something MOST of us will never be able to do despite our want to do it. Enjoy it, record it and most importantly continue to tell us about it!

Look forward to seeing more of Antarctica and and then your bike build and trip!

SOFT TO THE CORE OUTBACK NSW & SA RIDE REPORT JULY 2014
jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:36 PM   #98
travelingaustralian OP
Globe Trotting

SAR Rescued

Hi guys. Been some time since I was on here. Been away from station for a couple weeks. We did not do the traverse but myself and one other diesel mechanic plus an extra help went up to the remote sky way to dig and retrieve equipment left up on the plateau at end of summer.

Im back on station but I'm not in to good a shape. I had to be SAR rescued as I slipped a disk in my back and when I woke the following morning was unable to move at all!!!! Very un nerving. So part of our SAR team came up with the rescue Hagg to bring me back to station. I was in so much pain they had to give me morphine just so they could move me as any movement of my back was like knifes. To make matters worse I was on the top bunk and the room not big enough to get a stretcher into!!
I am currently laying on my floor writing this. I will update more when im better.

"Quad Biking in Antarctica"----->http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...886240&page=10
Old 07-14-2013, 02:40 AM   #99
jtb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,080
That's no good at all TA!

I hope you mend and get back to some normality. I have a protruding disc and it can be a pain in the arse at times, lots of physio and stretching exercises for me. All the best I look forward to reading ride report aboard your new 690!

SOFT TO THE CORE OUTBACK NSW & SA RIDE REPORT JULY 2014
jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:59 AM   #100
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,177
Well that sucks.

Good thoughts heading that way from South Texas for a speedy and complete recovery.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:20 AM   #101
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,681
Oh man! Hoping you're back on your feet ASAP!
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:42 AM   #102
ferals5
865+652

Oddometer: 999
Man that sucks...hope you get well soon mate

besides we need more pics
ferals5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:01 PM   #103
travelingaustralian OP
Globe Trotting

Thanks for the well wishes guys.

Well its been a week now and the good thing is I'm up and moving by myself. Im not moving freely yet still have pain in my left side of my back and I feel like I have a broom stick stuck up my ass as I walk!!
I have a heat pack on it right now which helps.

I did not get to many pictures on this last trip as we were busy digging out machines. Here are a couple that I did take.

We also had a small fire. We use a machine called a herman nelson that we use to melt out snow from around engine pulleys and for heating up the cab so the electronics work correctly . It works by injecting fuel under pressure past an ignition source. Well what is called the dieso's best friend burst into flames on us. At the time it was blowing 40knots so the wind was helping fuel the fire. I quickly shut it down and turned off the fuel. I managed to save the motor but the jet internals were cactus!!

Here are a couple of pictures of Iceberg ally. We need to be careful driving through this section because of the large icebergs.

It was still dark when I was trying to take these pictures. I had no trypod.

And a couple of night time shots on the plateau. I had a trypod for these ones.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:29 AM   #104
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,681
Wow! Those photos are unreal. Thanks for taking the time to share them while on the mend. Doing any pt stuff yet??
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:35 AM   #105
sandgroper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,612
Great shots, like the last two.. The wind must be really blowing

Ed
sandgroper is offline   Reply With Quote