Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2013, 07:50 PM   #5746
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
Hey Chuck, I grew up in Haxtun just down the road from Fleming and we played them in BB and FB. Nice to see the name of Fleming appear. Hope they treated you well. And yes for those paying attention they have seen an Orange Stelvio cruising around there from time to time when I visit my family:)
Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:00 PM   #5747
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
We rode (still ride) Death Valley offroad in the winter months, and I've been thru it when it's brutally hot. Last August Jeanne and I were on the last few days of our two week, 5500 mile Canadian Rockies/west coast trip....and rode thru DV in late August in 123F temps. I rode my Blackbird across in '99 coming back from a SS1000 and an outdoor thermometer read 131F. Official temps were surely a few degrees lower, but it was a blast furnace from Keeler to Pahrump.
Wow... man you must have some riding gear made like those fireproof racing suits the car racing guys use. Those are some crazy hot temps to ride in. 110-112 is about the max I care to ride through. It got to the point we felt 100 was "cool". We survived but it wasn't pleasant for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
IMO the NTX is in the top three road trip bikes I've ever had - and for me that's about comfort and range. I like the sit up riding position and could easily drain a 330 mile tank in one sitting....on the stock seat, stock suspension, stock bar risers....yes - the stock bike is that good
I'd agree there, the NTX is the best long distance bike I've owned. I was very pleased with how it worked for us.

I must have a wimpy butt though, I could never drain the tank in one sitting. Butt pains were the only thing that made me want to get off and stretch etc. the rest of me was fine for much longer.
09 Kawi KLR650 - for sale
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:32 PM   #5748
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 18,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
Dunno, I was distracted by the sweet Italian bike.

I was in the comically overloaded (Honda CR480R, bicycle, and a big gas jug all strapped to the single-bike hitch carrier) but still very fine British automobile (my dirty, beat up, but still occasionally mostly functional Land Rover).

I'm down in the DFW area now, near the speedway. If you live nearby and want too get out for a ride sometime, let me know.
Damn, you traded Colorado for the metroplex?

I'm actually closer to where you were than where you are...but the next time I know I'll be down that way I'll give you a shout.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:05 AM   #5749
Chuck in Indiana
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
...I'm going to the Iowa rally this week,
Good Mr B.! I'm planning on being there also --expecting to get there Thursday. Looking forward to meeting/chatting with you.

Elkader is one of my favorite rallies -- Iowa Chops, Home-made pies and ice cream, what's not to like?

Ride safe.
Chuck in Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:27 AM   #5750
Chuck in Indiana
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham View Post
Hey Chuck, I grew up in Haxtun just down the road from Fleming and we played them in BB and FB. Nice to see the name of Fleming appear. Hope they treated you well. And yes for those paying attention they have seen an Orange Stelvio cruising around there from time to time when I visit my family:)
Ham,

My wife and I are involved with Military Reunions for the US Navy ship I served on, a very long time ago. One of the WW II shipmates lives in Fleming. Actually, he has lived there all of his 87 years, with exception of his service time.

He and his wife were regular attendees at the Reunions until she became sick, and finally died (August 25, 2012). He has struggled with her death, and is terribly lonely. I generally check up on him, by telephone, every month or so and while I was in the general area, made arrangements to go to his house and take him out for supper. We had a great time. He is a wonderful gentleman.

By the way, if you're over in that direction, "Bully's Restaurant" in downtown Fleming (pop. ~ 400) serves some great steaks. They are only open four nights/week -- Wed thru Saturday.

Ride safe.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:31 AM   #5751
Chuck in Indiana
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikep95 View Post
I took the lazy way out and rented a cabin close by but I'll be keeping an eye out for any NTX I recognize from here!
Mike,

It will be good to see you. I think there will be several Stelvio's in attendance. Guy (the organizer) has said the expected attendance is in the 300 range. In Guzzi terms, it's a big event.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:40 AM   #5752
XT Traveler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck in Indiana View Post
Mike,

It will be good to see you. I think there will be several Stelvio's in attendance. Guy (the organizer) has said the expected attendance is in the 300 range. In Guzzi terms, it's a big event.
My wife and are planning at stopping at the Rally as part of a larger trip -- I'll look for the Stelvios !

Current Stable: Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX, BMW F800GS, Yamaha MT-01,
Triumph Thruxton, Triumph Scrambler, Suzuki DRZ400S, Ducati Pantah 500
XT Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:58 AM   #5753
Forseti
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,254
I am planning to arrive on the 21st. Look for the dirtiest Stelvio and odds are its mine!

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.
Politics is a pendulum whose swings between anarchy and tyranny are fueled by perpetually rejuvenated illusions.
Albert Einstein
Forseti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:36 AM   #5754
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forseti View Post
I am planning to arrive on the 21st. Look for the dirtiest Stelvio and odds are its mine!
Ill watch for you. When I went to the rally last year, I new little about Guzzis and nothing about Stelvios. Maybe this year ill be able to hold a relevant conversation about Guzzis!
Old 07-09-2013, 05:23 PM   #5755
GerryL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Question NTX drive line play normal or not?

I've got a little over 5000mi on my '12 NTX, and I feel like something has changed...but I'd like to get opinions on if this is normal or not. I recently noticed a clunking when moving along slow in first gear, and it almost sounded like the center stand banging. After checking it out and experimenting, it is actually from play somewhere in the drive. If I put the bike on the center stand and put it in 1st gear (engine off), I can rotate the rear tire and make the clunk as it goes from one end of the free play to the other (by rotating tire forward and back). So each time the drive train loads up I get the clunk. I am not sure how to measure this better, but the tire can rotate 2-1/4" at the outer circumference before hitting the stop each time I do it. That seems excessive to me, but I didn't check it when new and don't know if this is normal for this bike. The noise is not from anywhere near the rear wheel, more like the area of the transmission. Any thoughts?
GerryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:20 PM   #5756
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 768
If its the clunk I think you're talking about, I think it's a function of the anti jacking device on the CARC. My wifes Griso makes noise too.

Spinning the wheel while on the stand, will just reveal the natural play in the trans, and u joints.

If you think it's more severe than that, I would have it checked out. Maybe you should anyway just to dispel any fears.
1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648
WitchCityBallabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:17 PM   #5757
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 9,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryL View Post
the tire can rotate 2-1/4" at the outer circumference before hitting the stop
That's about 2.8% or 10 degrees of rotation. I'm not sure if that'd be considered excessive or not, but I think that's roughly the same as mine. For reference, I'm at 12000 miles.

James Adams screwed with this post 07-09-2013 at 11:36 PM
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:40 PM   #5758
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
The noise is not from anywhere near the rear wheel, more like the area of the transmission. Any thoughts?
Can you post a youtube video? film around the carc while moving to the tranny...have someone rotate the wheel back and forth while filming. It helps.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:15 PM   #5759
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,042
Quote:
I've got a little over 5000mi on my '12 NTX, and I feel like something has changed...but I'd like to get opinions on if this is normal or not. I recently noticed a clunking when moving along slow in first gear, and it almost sounded like the center stand banging. After checking it out and experimenting, it is actually from play somewhere in the drive.
My '12 has just shy of 7k miles on it and on occasion it will "clunk", but it's not frequent or repeatable (i.e. I don't always feel it at X speed or in Y gear). I just had it thoroughly gone through at the 10k km service and all was good, so I'm just going to assume "it's a Guzzi thing" and ride on. So far it's been the most reliable, trouble free big twin I've owned.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:43 AM   #5760
mikep95
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
I've got a little over 5000mi on my '12 NTX, and I feel like something has changed...but I'd like to get opinions on if this is normal or not. I recently noticed a clunking when moving along slow in first gear, and it almost sounded like the center stand banging. After checking it out and experimenting, it is actually from play somewhere in the drive. If I put the bike on the center stand and put it in 1st gear (engine off), I can rotate the rear tire and make the clunk as it goes from one end of the free play to the other (by rotating tire forward and back). So each time the drive train loads up I get the clunk. I am not sure how to measure this better, but the tire can rotate 2-1/4" at the outer circumference before hitting the stop each time I do it. That seems excessive to me, but I didn't check it when new and don't know if this is normal for this bike. The noise is not from anywhere near the rear wheel, more like the area of the transmission. Any thoughts?
I've noticed the exact same thing on mine. Not sure if its getting worse or if I'm just becoming obsessed with it. I'm at 1700km
mikep95 is offline   Reply With Quote