Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2013, 08:34 AM   #16
ggoytia
Mobile Fatso

Oddometer: 184
Thanks for the details gents, now to convince my other two buddies to take a few days off.
ggoytia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:10 PM   #17
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by advmgm View Post
the ozark cafe in jasper is a place to avoid at all cost, you want to eat at the Low Gap Cafe on 74 in Low Gap between Jasper and Ponca, or head out on HWY 7 to the Cliff House.

Not sure why you made this comment?

I have eaten at the Ozark Cafe lots and taken many people there to eat and we have NEVER had one thing that was bad. And no one has said they wished they hadn't eaten there.

Now the Cliff House has a GREAT view - but the food is only average. Ate there at the first of the month.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Because the service sucks and the food is mediocre at best.
IYHO right? I found the food OK and the service about the same as most hole in the walls.

I am looking forward to trying Low Gap ASAP.

joenuclear screwed with this post 07-09-2013 at 07:10 PM Reason: spl
joenuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:38 PM   #18
MSrider
Rebel with a sixfiddy

Oddometer: 4,271
Quote:
here is what I posted for our FJR owners rally we just had in Jasper Arkansas.. You ride these roads and you WILL have fun. I live 15 miles north of Harrison Arkansas so I know the local roads.

Let me know when you will be in the area and if possible I will join you on my CBR 954RR..

HW 160 and 125 in in Missouri are about as good as they get for twisties! I live about 30 SW of them. If you take HW 7, 123 north to 125 in Arkansas you can then take the free Peel ferry across Bull Shoals lake to both of them.

The Ozark Cafe in Jasper is a great place to eat.

for those of you new to this area you will find it has some spectacular roads to ride around the Jasper area.

Pretty much every secondary road listed between and including HW 23 (Pig Trail) which is to the west and west of HW 65 which is to the east and north of I-40 which is on the south and south of HW 62 which is to the north are spectacular and twisty.

A great loop (and one of my favorites) would be to take HW 7 north to Harrison then SW on HW 43 south to HW 21 south all the way down to Clarksville then come back up HW 123 (switchbacks just before Mt Judea) all the way to HW 65 then north to HW 206 west back to HW 7 and south on it for a couple of miles to The Hub. The elk herd can be seen on HW 43 just south of Ponca and before Boxley on HW 21.

All of HW 21 south out of Berryville all the way to Clarksville is a spectacular and scenic twisty ride and one of my favorite routes

Hw 103 from Hw 43 just south of Harrison over to Hw 412.

All of HW 7 north out of Hot Springs clear up to Missouri is a spectacular ride but not as twisty.

All of HW 27 from Russellville up to Marshall and east of that is a great ride.

HW 74 east and especially west out of Jasper to 43 is excellent. Several switchbacks west of Jasper.

HW 16 from HW 23 (Pig Trail - another great road) on the west all the way easy to HW 65 in Clinton is fabulously twistie.

If you want a ride with absolutely the most twisties you can get, take HW 7 north out of The Hub all the way to Lead Hill then go south on HW 14 all the way to where 27 meets it east of Marshall and go west on 27 to Marshall and go west on 27 to 16 and go north/west on 16 over to HW 7 back to the Hub. If you just stay on HW 14 east of Marshall you take you east and HW 341, which is the infamous Push Mountain road, will intersect 14 from the north and you can ride it up and back down to 14 and go west from there. Miles and miles of great banked corners and great scenery on 27 and 16 west of Marshall.

Here is one more great loop that is not real long at 54 miles but is very scenic and takes you up to 2100 feet to the top of Gaither Mountain just south of Harrison where there is a fantastic view of the valley. Riding down into Ponca on HW 43 is spectacular because you go from 2000 feet down to 900 feet in the river valley.

This loop is all within a 20 mile radius of the The Hub just north of Jasper so if you get in early and want to do more this is it.

From the Hub:
Take HW 7 north about three miles to left on HW 206 west/north
Take HW 206 west to left on HW 43 south
Take HW 43 all the way down to Ponca - the first three miles south of Ponca on 43 is where you can see the elk but you come back north to HW 74 east.
In Ponca, take HW 74 east back to HW 7 north in Jasper - switchbacks on this very curvey road!
Take HW 7 the ten miles back north to The Hub.
great post. My son and I just did a lot of this last week, on DS bikes. Just as much DS opportunity as asphalt. Win win!!
Old 07-09-2013, 08:16 PM   #19
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by joenuclear View Post
IYHO right? I found the food OK and the service about the same as most hole in the walls.

I am looking forward to trying Low Gap ASAP.
Nope, not just mine. Larry was with me the last time I tried eating in that crap hole. We sat there for 20 minutes and never even had a waitress approach us even though there were 4 of them in there and the restaurant was only about 1/3 filled. We got up and walked out, but I had to go back in because I left my phone on the table. There was a waitress there then though, she had my phone in her hand looking at it.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:11 PM   #20
Andy Mc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
OP so have you been yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportbiker2000 View Post
Wow, great stuff in this post! I have already made GPS routes of what you described here. I am going to try and stay at the hub and also going to try and do most, if not all the roads that you mention here as well as try and have lunch in that Ozark Cafe. I'll let you know when I nail down my plans. I'll be on a Triumph Sprint GT w/bags fully loaded, but I'll do my best to keep up! lol
Two of us are considering the same area for a week in September, how did your trip go, if you've gone yet?

Anybody suggest a town to anchor in for a few days?
Thanks

Andy Mc
Andy Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:16 PM   #21
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,770
Clarksville is a great place to base out of.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:53 AM   #22
advmgm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSrider View Post
great post. My son and I just did a lot of this last week, on DS bikes. Just as much DS opportunity as asphalt. Win win!!
Actually, there is MORE DS opportunity than asphalt. Between the national forests and their logging and access roads and the seemingly unending number of county roads that are either dirt or primitive gravel its just amazing!!

Every time I go out to rider on either the street or dirt bike I just get into sensory overload with the options. What a problem!!
Old 07-12-2013, 08:05 AM   #23
advmgm
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Mc View Post
Two of us are considering the same area for a week in September, how did your trip go, if you've gone yet?

Anybody suggest a town to anchor in for a few days?
Thanks

Andy Mc
Andy - Just wondering, are you coming over to dirt ride or street ride?

These are all good base camp towns in order of my preference: Jasper, Harrison, Eureka Springs, Clarksville.

Jasper is small - pop 500 but it has several places to stay and The Hub motorcycle resort just north on HW is old but VERY motorcycle friendly. You are smack dab in the middle of heaven there.

Harrision is decent sized - pop 14,000 with lots of hotels/motels that cater to motorcyclists and from there you can go so many routes any direction. The town bills itself as the Arkansas motorcycling destination. I live 15 miles north of it. I recommend either the Super 8 or Comfort Inns - both have been remodeled recently and I stayed at both during a house hunting trip last year. Any direction out of Harrison is excellent. Any way you go of HW 7 from Harrison will have you wishing you lived here.

Eureka Springs is pop about 5,000 with LOTS of motels and very motorcycle friendly. But its in the NW corner of the state and a lot of the really good riding is SE of it towards Jasper, Harrison and Clarksville. If you stay there I have stayed at the Swiss Village Inn - the want the motorcycle, not noisy Harley business.

Clarksville is larger with more traffic and and the hills are not as large there but from there you can go many directions. I ride down there on HW 7 from Harrison all the time and come back.

If you stay at any of the towns you can be in motorcycling heaven in minutes literally in any direction.

advmgm screwed with this post 07-12-2013 at 08:21 AM
advmgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:03 AM   #24
MSrider
Rebel with a sixfiddy

Oddometer: 4,271
^^^^^^^ keep it down now....

Quote:
Actually, there is MORE DS opportunity than asphalt. Between the national forests and their logging and access roads and the seemingly unending number of county roads that are either dirt or primitive gravel its just amazing!!

Every time I go out to rider on either the street or dirt bike I just get into sensory overload with the options. What a problem!!
yes, I know......sssshhhhhh
Old 07-12-2013, 10:37 AM   #25
advmgm
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSrider View Post
^^^^^^^ keep it down now....

yes, I know......sssshhhhhh
oh yeah, that's right, Arkansas has nothing to see here. Move along now..
Old 07-13-2013, 07:33 PM   #26
Andy Mc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
[QUOTE=advmgm;21848592]Andy - Just wondering, are you coming over to dirt ride or street ride?

These are all good base camp towns in order of my preference: Jasper, Harrison, Eureka Springs, Clarksville.

Jasper is small - pop 500 but it has several places to stay and The Hub motorcycle resort just north on HW is old but VERY motorcycle friendly. You are smack dab in the middle of ...

Thanks, we'll be sticking to pavement on the RT & the Connie. We ride middle & east Tn all the time, jut looking to expand our horizons a little!
Andy Mc
Andy Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:13 PM   #27
jgas
Stoogely Adventurerer

Oddometer: 843
New reply to an old post, but lets make sure we don't get the Ozark Café in Jasper confused with the OARK CAFE/GENERAL STORE IN OARK AR. Some say Oark store, Oark gas station, Oark café, Oark restaurant, because it is all of the above. I think the sign says Oark Gen Store, but could be wrong. To clarify: The Oark place is dang good! Never been to the one in Jasper.

Oark and Ozark ARE NOT the same town. Like Talimena and Talihena aren't the same, well whatever. One's a town, one's a National/State Park/Forest in the same area. Even some maps get them confused.

Second the motion on the Cliff House. Great view, very worth putting up with the average food. Decent service and one of the very best views anywhere.

Anyway, hope you had a fun street ride. I keep saying one of the most fun things I've ever done is passing sport bikes on the outside on a KTM 520 DRZ or a KLR with knobbies. Then pulling a wheelie (on the KTM and DRZ, not so much on the KLR), while still leaned over. Of course they blast back by on any straight stretch, but that just lets you pass em again. This don't work on good fast sport bike riders, they make it a little harder to get by and then you never see em again, but 90% are guys with a fast bike and can't ride it.
-DRZ 400, GasGas 275, Klein, zero cc.
jgas is offline   Reply With Quote