User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2013, 08:09 PM   #18886
Specterx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
motorcycle AC

Just got a new air condtioner for my Tenere.

The vest works pretty well. Did a test drive in 96 degree weather and was very pleased. The phase change cool packs didn't build up any condensation. It made a big difference at stops.

The packs are 58 degree and last about 3 hours. Also, freeze in only 25 minutes in ice or 45 minutes in the freezer. Although it looks a little like you are wearing a life vest. I could wear it under my jacket with no problems. The liquid is not water but a phase change liquid that is lighter than water... but only slightly. It doesn't crystalize like ice but instead is like tight packed sand. You can bash it into shape if it froze in a wierd shape.

It even comes with an insulated duffle bag to keep it in.

They fit big. A medium fits me perfectly with a 42" chest. There is a lot of adjustment capability by using the velcro straps.

Zoro tools seems to be the cheapest place to get them $107. They are $150 everywhere else. You can order them from their site if you don't like ebay.

OK, now everyone gets to call me a panzy wimp for wearing a silly looking ice vest.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330909537554...84.m1497.l2649

This is a similar product. it uses the same packs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K61p95pUYi4

Specterx screwed with this post 07-09-2013 at 08:15 PM
Specterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:52 PM   #18887
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,191
I have a couple of the plain Hydroweave ones. Just give it a soak and ride.
They actually work pretty well.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/silve...oling-vest.htm
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:23 PM   #18888
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way

Oddometer: 1,460
Canary Survived a Deer - with no help from ABS

I was going 80 mph on a two lane country road on a warm sunny afternoon - and the one-and-only deer in my 570 mile day, decided to jump on the road.
I first saw it in the opposite lane, accessed some old club road racing memories, pulled in the clutch, and applied the front brake as hard as I dared.
When the long travel fork finally decided it had no more room to travel, I was fully braced against the bars, tank and pegs, then the front tire got that greasy feeling that says....hey I am about to slide. The bars did some waggling about as well. The rear wheel may have been off the ground.
By then the deer was directly in front of me and about 8 feet from my wheel, and it scampered off the road.
I released the front brake.
I never heard from ABS.

The Canary remained remarkably composed, it does not have the level of brakes that my Ninja 1000 had, and it weighs 100 lbs more and other than an initial soggy feeling at the break lever, I am very impressed with how the bike handled the emergency.

Alaska Deep Adventure
RideDualSport.com is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:20 PM   #18889
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,130
The ABS is extremely non-intrusive even when it kicks in. Given your description I'm guessing it kept you from skidding.
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:12 AM   #18890
Happy Snapper
GOMOB.

Oddometer: 2,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideDualSport.com View Post
I was going 80 mph on a two lane country road on a warm sunny afternoon - and the one-and-only deer in my 570 mile day, decided to jump on the road.
I first saw it in the opposite lane, accessed some old club road racing memories, pulled in the clutch, and applied the front brake as hard as I dared.
When the long travel fork finally decided it had no more room to travel, I was fully braced against the bars, tank and pegs, then the front tire got that greasy feeling that says....hey I am about to slide. The bars did some waggling about as well. The rear wheel may have been off the ground.
By then the deer was directly in front of me and about 8 feet from my wheel, and it scampered off the road.
I never heard from ABS.

The Canary remained remarkably composed, it does not have the level of brakes that my Ninja 1000 had, and it weighs 100 lbs more and other than an initial soggy feeling at the break lever, I am very impressed with how the bike handled the emergency.

I have had people riding with me who have observed the ABS working on the back wheel while I wasn't even aware it had kicked in.

Never trust atoms.... they make up everything!

Read my Blog: http://snapshotsfrommark.blogspot.com.au
Happy Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:26 AM   #18891
japako
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
I never heard from ABS.

If your ABS acted like that, I would think you have a problem and maybe take it to a good shop.

The first thing I did with mine after picking it up, was to try out the brakes.
They were the best brakes I'd had up to that point. I have slapped them hard on both gravel and hard surface and never had the type of reaction you did. just sayin

Hope you get them fixed..
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:59 AM   #18892
sallydog
no more Green KLR

Oddometer: 5,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by japako View Post
The first thing I did with mine after picking it up, was to try out the brakes.
They were the best brakes I'd had up to that point. I have slapped them hard on both gravel and hard surface and never had the type of reaction you did. just sayin

Hope you get them fixed..
i challenge friends to a stop contest down hill on hard dirt. at 40 or 5o mph i just jam the front brake as hard as i can and the bike stops much shorter and safer than anyone else. but ive done it on grass and stone as well.
Heaven's the place where all the dogs you've ever loved come to greet you
sallydog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:12 AM   #18893
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,387
Quote:
I was fully braced against the bars, tank and pegs, then the front tire got that greasy feeling that says....hey I am about to slide. The bars did some waggling about as well. The rear wheel may have been off the ground.
What tires are you running?
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:30 AM   #18894
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way

Oddometer: 1,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticyclone View Post
What tires are you running?
I am on the original tires, Tourance EXP.
Alaska Deep Adventure
RideDualSport.com is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:33 AM   #18895
Red Dust
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
Just read the new Australian motorcycle news where they tested most of the big adv bikes such as GS, GSA, Cross tourer, KTM1190/R, Explorer, Stelvio, ST.
The ST was one of the thirstiest and it had the least powerful engine and was a bit rough and not so smooth and very slow compared to most of the others but pretty good off road, not very good riding but who cares, I`m quite happy with mine. Looking at the 0-100 km/h stats compared to my old DL this ST is slower..... Even the irrelevant quarter mile is about the same as DL650...
But on dirt roads who needs 150 hp?
Red Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:01 AM   #18896
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallydog View Post
i challenge friends to a stop contest down hill on hard dirt. at 40 or 5o mph i just jam the front brake as hard as i can and the bike stops much shorter and safer than anyone else. but ive done it on grass and stone as well.
Just won't stop just short of the back of a car.

(Too soon?)

Glad you are healed up and back in the saddle.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:21 AM   #18897
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dust View Post
Just read the new Australian motorcycle news where they tested most of the big adv bikes such as GS, GSA, Cross tourer, KTM1190/R, Explorer, Stelvio, ST.
The ST was one of the thirstiest and it had the least powerful engine and was a bit rough and not so smooth and very slow compared to most of the others but pretty good off road, not very good riding but who cares, I`m quite happy with mine. Looking at the 0-100 km/h stats compared to my old DL this ST is slower..... Even the irrelevant quarter mile is about the same as DL650...
But on dirt roads who needs 150 hp?
Could you possibly put up some links to pics of the pages that you might have taken...
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:08 PM   #18898
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dust View Post
Sounds like complete bullshit to me. The S10 and a DL1000 are similar so they are also saying that the DL1000 is no faster than a DL650? I've owned both the DL1000 and the S10 at the same time.

I ride with a guy on a R1200RT and the S10 at legal speeds is more economical that the "slippery" RT. No way it is more economical than a DL650 though but it's not far off at similar speeds.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:29 PM   #18899
sallydog
no more Green KLR

Oddometer: 5,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Just won't stop just short of the back of a car.

(Too soon?)

Glad you are healed up and back in the saddle.

i think it would have had i hit the brake lever

Heaven's the place where all the dogs you've ever loved come to greet you
sallydog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #18900
Red Dust
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
Regarding the massive test in AMCN, I read some last night after work but read a bit more today and they do say it got a very comfortable seat and riding position. If all the test people swapped the eight bikes between them and did a fair test the figures should be fair especially the dyno graphs if it was made during the same day with the same dyno operator, the ST had by far the least hp which we all know does not mean it would be a less bike sometimes it can be better such as off road.
After have read the test I do still think I should have test ridden the KTM1190R... but that bike got a chain, probably not as good pillion seat, speeding fine engine (hooligan power), bit more expensive but not much compared to a new ST (I bought a demo).
The nice parts of the KTM could have been: 21" front wheel, lighter, way lower fuel consumption (at least in this test), the 50% more hp could come in handy at times but also bring the hooligan out, also has a smoother engine and an awesome TC/ABS set up, thought the ST was good. So far the ST has been good and is getting better for me, has cost me a fortune in farkles but I guess any other bike would have done that too. In this test the best overall bike that won was the new BMW1200 (the KTM demolished all of the bikes on dirt roads but overall the Beemer won this test). Still think the ST rocks!
Red Dust is offline   Reply With Quote