ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #8131
Lappeman
He's Down Again!
 
Lappeman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Lappe, ON
Oddometer: 1,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiffleMaster View Post
The folks here have a really good reputation, though I don't know what they stock.
http://www.advcycleworks.com/
There are other places that a quick Googling will find.

There are also some seriously great people there that will be quick to lend a hand if you post with an issue or a question on the Alaska forum.

You can camp pretty much anywhere you like on the Dalton except on the pipeline right of way.
Cheers!
Thanks Brian! Tires are the Heidenau K60's front and back. I checked the advcycle web page and they usually carrying them in the size I need. I'll email them anyhow.
__________________
Lappeman
Photos http://s891.photobucket.com/profile/Lappeman
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB-w...7m3yBQA/videos
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:18 AM   #8132
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker
 
dryden_rider_54's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Just ahead of a flat line.
Oddometer: 1,376
Highly recommend advcycle in Fairbanks. Father son operation. Call ahead to see if they have tires. Other shop is Trails end cycle. It is now mainly Harley dealer so be prepared for the "my shit don't stink attitude". We used Heidenaus on our trip up the Dempster and all was good


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Blame spelling mistakes on autocorrect
__________________
After the game, the King and the Pawn go into the same box.
His - 2006 KLR Red, 2010 F800GS 30th Anniversary edition
Hers - 2001 KLR Green, 2010 F650GS Biarritz Blue Metallic
dryden_rider_54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:21 AM   #8133
Lappeman
He's Down Again!
 
Lappeman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Lappe, ON
Oddometer: 1,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryden_rider_54 View Post
Highly recommend advcycle in Fairbanks. Father son operation. Call ahead to see if they have tires. Other shop is Trails end cycle. It is now mainly Harley dealer so be prepared for the "my shit don't stink attitude". We used Heidenaus on our trip up the Dempster and all was good


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Blame spelling mistakes on autocorrect
Thanks Garth! I emailed them.
__________________
Lappeman
Photos http://s891.photobucket.com/profile/Lappeman
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB-w...7m3yBQA/videos
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:03 PM   #8134
PiffleMaster
Beastly Adventurer
 
PiffleMaster's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Oddometer: 1,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lappeman
Hey Brian! What can you tell me about the Laird Highway to Yellowknife and back down to Edmonton? If I have time...probably won't...I might swing up there, for a "done that" certificate
The Liard Highway (#7) is gravel from the BC border to where it hooks up with the main east west highway across the NWT (#1), which is also gravel until it hooks up with the turnoff north to Yellowknife and south to Hay River, Edmonton etc.; which is paved with some gravel sections for ongoing construction.

What makes the Liard unique (other than its absolute remoteness) is the type of gravel used seems to be clay based, and after/during heavy rains, can\will become a nightmare. Much worse than a wet Dalton or Dempster.

Fuel up in Fort Liard (gas is closed at night). There is a really nice free campground with a shelter and free wood between the highway (#7) and Fort Liard.
Head north on #7 then detour north on #1 to Fort Simpson (gas is closed at night, as is the ferry to get to it) for more fuel, backtrack and head east again then north on #1 towards Fort Providence (across the new Mackenzie River bridge) for more fuel.
Then head north to Yellowknife. If you run fast, you will be on reserve and fumes by the time you get there.

I recommend you carry at least three extra litres just in case.
Note other than the places I mentioned, there are no gas stations, restaurants, houses, phone booths... Nothing except the road, the occasional microwave tower, and a hydro pole or two. And lots and lots of mosquitos.

A word of extreme caution:
Heading north from Fort Providence to Yellowknife the road is relatively straight with a few curves thrown in for the fun of it. Lulls you into a relaxed mode.
However, I guarantee that if you barrel over a blind rise on one of the straight sections into a dip at warp speed... you will run head-on into a herd of bison.
A shit yourself moment unless you're lucky like I was. (Ok, I still shit myself even if I was lucky.)

Done Yellowknife? Retrace your steps and head south towards Hay River, refuel at Fort Providence and fuel up at Enterprise. Then head south into Alberta. You can make it with a full tank to High Level unless you're running silly speeds, though Indian Cabins (gas is closed at night) is not far into Alberta and also has fuel.

I know I should have PMd you this info but thought others might use it down the road (so to speak).
Cheers, Brian
__________________
"He never met a stranger." Drif10 re DRCool
Have Sporadic Spot, will travel sporadically...
And a picture outside my window... Sometimes...

PiffleMaster screwed with this post 07-07-2013 at 12:09 PM
PiffleMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:57 PM   #8135
Lappeman
He's Down Again!
 
Lappeman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Lappe, ON
Oddometer: 1,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiffleMaster View Post
The Liard Highway (#7) is gravel from the BC border to where it hooks up with the main east west highway across the NWT (#1), which is also gravel until it hooks up with the turnoff north to Yellowknife and south to Hay River, Edmonton etc.; which is paved with some gravel sections for ongoing construction.

What makes the Liard unique (other than its absolute remoteness) is the type of gravel used seems to be clay based, and after/during heavy rains, can\will become a nightmare. Much worse than a wet Dalton or Dempster.

Fuel up in Fort Liard (gas is closed at night). There is a really nice free campground with a shelter and free wood between the highway (#7) and Fort Liard.
Head north on #7 then detour north on #1 to Fort Simpson (gas is closed at night, as is the ferry to get to it) for more fuel, backtrack and head east again then north on #1 towards Fort Providence (across the new Mackenzie River bridge) for more fuel.
Then head north to Yellowknife. If you run fast, you will be on reserve and fumes by the time you get there.

I recommend you carry at least three extra litres just in case.
Note other than the places I mentioned, there are no gas stations, restaurants, houses, phone booths... Nothing except the road, the occasional microwave tower, and a hydro pole or two. And lots and lots of mosquitos.

A word of extreme caution:
Heading north from Fort Providence to Yellowknife the road is relatively straight with a few curves thrown in for the fun of it. Lulls you into a relaxed mode.
However, I guarantee that if you barrel over a blind rise on one of the straight sections into a dip at warp speed... you will run head-on into a herd of bison.
A shit yourself moment unless you're lucky like I was. (Ok, I still shit myself even if I was lucky.)

Done Yellowknife? Retrace your steps and head south towards Hay River, refuel at Fort Providence and fuel up at Enterprise. Then head south into Alberta. You can make it with a full tank to High Level unless you're running silly speeds, though Indian Cabins (gas is closed at night) is not far into Alberta and also has fuel.

I know I should have PMd you this info but thought others might use it down the road (so to speak).
Cheers, Brian
Thanks Brian, very much appreciated! I have a tire waiting for me in Alaska...so I guess it's a go
__________________
Lappeman
Photos http://s891.photobucket.com/profile/Lappeman
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB-w...7m3yBQA/videos
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:38 AM   #8136
Hektoglider
Expedition Style ADV
 
Hektoglider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Lone Pine Ontario (or travelling)
Oddometer: 2,458
Great to see your back is healed up, & your KLR is dialed in for the ride up North, Lappeman!
Have a good run.
__________________
less is more
Hektoglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:41 PM   #8137
Lappeman
He's Down Again!
 
Lappeman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Lappe, ON
Oddometer: 1,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektoglider View Post
Great to see your back is healed up, & your KLR is dialed in for the ride up North, Lappeman!
Have a good run.
Thanks Hekto! Back isn't a 100 percent but much better than it was! Hopefully it'll be a good ride...knock on wood
__________________
Lappeman
Photos http://s891.photobucket.com/profile/Lappeman
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB-w...7m3yBQA/videos
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:08 PM   #8138
ZZR_Ron OP
Underground
 
ZZR_Ron's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 7,904
Nice little ride around Cloud Lake area

Park:



At the boat launch.



Mandatory Flower Picture:



No food pictures unless you wanna see some trail mix and a Coke.
__________________
Great minds think alike;small minds seldom differ...
ZZR_Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:16 PM   #8139
guzzirelic
Gnarly Adventurer
 
guzzirelic's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: near Espanola Ontario Canada
Oddometer: 166
Good day all.
A couple of pic's of the new to me DR 750 from last weekend. It was our vintage bike club's annual "Isle of Man(itoulin)" and this year's theme was thumpers so my recent acquisition fit in nicely. At 24 she's not really vintage but still garnered lots of attention. I'd planned to have the Panther, (truly vintage) on the Island but it's just not quite ready for prime time.

At the Gore Bay harbor---



And at the ferry dock, South Baymouth ---



I hope everyone continues to enjoy the summer riding season...

Relic
__________________
I wonder where this goes...
2006 DR650(for sale); 1989 DR750
1974 MotoGuzzi Eldorado/sidecar outfit
1976 Yamaha DT400C; 1960 Panther M120
1970 Yamaha 100 L5TA Trailmaster
guzzirelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:01 PM   #8140
BackRoader
Heading There Next
 
BackRoader's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: The PEG, Center of Canada
Oddometer: 4,264
Hey Ken, "Dr Big", a great bike... Finndian, North Rider and Old Fart at Play have them as well. Haven't seen a red one , very nice!
__________________
2011 BMW R1200GS Triple Black, 2010 HD Heritage Softail, 1983 Yamaha RZ350, 1978 Yamaha XS650 SE,1967 Honda CD125, 2007 Kawasaki Super Sherpa, 2004 Yamaha BWS, 2008 Yamaha BWS, 1973 Honda CT 90 Trail, 1980 Honda C70 Cub.
BackRoader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:06 PM   #8141
ZZR_Ron OP
Underground
 
ZZR_Ron's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 7,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackRoader View Post
Hey Ken, "Dr Big", a great bike... Finndian, North Rider and Old Fart at Play have them as well. Haven't seen a red one , very nice!
I think Old Fart sold his...it was the 800.
__________________
Great minds think alike;small minds seldom differ...
ZZR_Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:09 PM   #8142
Lappeman
He's Down Again!
 
Lappeman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Lappe, ON
Oddometer: 1,953
Leaving soon...

You can follow my report at http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...6#post21881586
__________________
Lappeman
Photos http://s891.photobucket.com/profile/Lappeman
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB-w...7m3yBQA/videos
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #8143
benwr
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Kenora, ON
Oddometer: 103
Hey everyone, I am living in Kenora, ON, I have been here for around 5 years. Currently I am riding a 99 F650 and a Triumph Speedmaster. I am looking at selling both and trying to find a 08+ F650gs.

I am not very active here, but after attending the last D2D and heading up the Dempster i met a lot of riders that frequent here, so thought i would poke around a little more. I am glad i found this thread, I would love to see a get together in Kenora on a nice weekend in the future!

Hit me up any time.

Ben

benwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:50 PM   #8144
BackRoader
Heading There Next
 
BackRoader's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: The PEG, Center of Canada
Oddometer: 4,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by benwr View Post
Hey everyone, I am living in Kenora, ON, I have been here for around 5 years. Currently I am riding a 99 F650 and a Triumph Speedmaster. I am looking at selling both and trying to find a 08+ F650gs.

I am not very active here, but after attending the last D2D and heading up the Dempster i met a lot of riders that frequent here, so thought i would poke around a little more. I am glad i found this thread, I would love to see a get together in Kenora on a nice weekend in the future!

Hit me up any time.

Ben


Ben, nice to see another local rider, born again!!! Lol

Join us on the Areostitch run in August!
__________________
2011 BMW R1200GS Triple Black, 2010 HD Heritage Softail, 1983 Yamaha RZ350, 1978 Yamaha XS650 SE,1967 Honda CD125, 2007 Kawasaki Super Sherpa, 2004 Yamaha BWS, 2008 Yamaha BWS, 1973 Honda CT 90 Trail, 1980 Honda C70 Cub.
BackRoader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:04 AM   #8145
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer
 
Nanabijou's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 615
I just completed my trip report covering my most recent 4000km camping/touring adventure on my 2011 CBR150R across Ontario in late June. You can find it here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=901903

Mike
Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014