Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2013, 06:04 AM   #5761
Forseti
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,185
I suspect it is normal. Mine has what I have always felt to be a lot of slop when doing what is described but after 70000Km it has not changed. I have never actually measured it. It was checked out by the dealer when nearly new and they said it was fine. (mines an 09)

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.
Politics is a pendulum whose swings between anarchy and tyranny are fueled by perpetually rejuvenated illusions.
Albert Einstein
Forseti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:18 AM   #5762
swmckinley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Ya know I heard the Guzzi Groan was normal too......I am throwing up the Bullshit flag on that one. I have been complaining since day one that my clutch didn't feel right. Big groan when starting off cold in the morning. fast forward 10 months and now that I have 15K on her she started throbbing thru the clutch handle and a distinct chirping coming on clutch release. Took into the shop and they are pulling the engine to check out the clutch and throw out bearing.
I say when they say thats normal......well..... Bullshit.
swmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:36 AM   #5763
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 817
Ya. It's too bad you are prolly paying to find that out but it's, well...normal.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:57 AM   #5764
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 8,196
Mine hasn't been groaning recently (the 100-degree weather might have something to do with it), however there are some unhappy noises (from the starter clutch mechanism maybe?) on "cold" starts.
James Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:27 AM   #5765
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 732
Mine has always had the occasional groan in the clutch. Seems to be more often in the cold. Bike has 40,000 miles on it, clutch still feels exactly the same.
1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648
WitchCityBallabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:15 AM   #5766
Demar39
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
On-line OEM parts catalog

Pro Italia now has NTX parts on-line. I looked quickly and it looks like there is a comprehensive parts catalog that's easy to flip thru.

http://store.proitalia.com/moto-guzzi-oem-parts.php
Old 07-10-2013, 09:35 AM   #5767
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 8,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demar39 View Post
Pro Italia now has NTX parts on-line. I looked quickly and it looks like there is a comprehensive parts catalog that's easy to flip thru.

http://store.proitalia.com/moto-guzzi-oem-parts.php
AF1 also has had the parts manual available for quite a while...
James Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:21 AM   #5768
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by swmckinley View Post
Ya know I heard the Guzzi Groan was normal too......I am throwing up the Bullshit flag on that one. I have been complaining since day one that my clutch didn't feel right. Big groan when starting off cold in the morning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
Mine hasn't been groaning recently (the 100-degree weather might have something to do with it), however there are some unhappy noises (from the starter clutch mechanism maybe?) on "cold" starts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchCityBallabio View Post
Mine has always had the occasional groan in the clutch. Seems to be more often in the cold. Bike has 40,000 miles on it, clutch still feels exactly the same.
I have noticed the clutch "groan" is very temperature sensitive. Mine groans severely when cold for many engagements until it warms up. It will do it even if I've been riding the bike for some time during the day, then stop, let it cool a bit, it will easily groan again until it's hot enough to stop. It does appear to have gotten worse as the miles pile up. I'm very soft on my clutches, I don't "dump" them or slip them unnecessarily. I can modulate the groan with release rate/rpm so I've learned to "ride around it", but I don't think it should exist to start with.

I strongly believe the "groan" is a function of the clutch friction material, it's basically chatter. I've had this before on car clutches. When it's hot it works fine, when it's cold it works lousy. I don't know if Guzzi spec'd a different friction material for the Stelvio in expectation that it might be used in more demanding/hot conditions but I really don't like it. It's actually a bit unsafe if you aren't prepared for when it grabs.

Has anybody been able to determine if the part# for the Stelvio clutch disc is different from other Guzzi models using the same engine, ie Norge or Griso?

I'd be willing to tear mine apart and change the clutch disc if it solved the problem. I know it's a bear of a job, but I really dislike it immensely It makes the bike sound really horrible when it happens, nothing like the quality motorcycle it is.

I can feel the "clunk" in the rear when I rotate the wheel slowly on the side stand, it feels like U-joints to me. I don't feel/hear anything while riding except that if you feather the clutch a slow speeds it will clunk (sounds like taking up slack) when you release the clutch. I can live with that.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:21 AM   #5769
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by swmckinley View Post
Ya know I heard the Guzzi Groan was normal too......I am throwing up the Bullshit flag on that one. I have been complaining since day one that my clutch didn't feel right. Big groan when starting off cold in the morning. fast forward 10 months and now that I have 15K on her she started throbbing thru the clutch handle and a distinct chirping coming on clutch release. Took into the shop and they are pulling the engine to check out the clutch and throw out bearing.
I say when they say thats normal......well..... Bullshit.
Mine makes that groan when it's cold. From what I've gathered, either TADT, or at least it's very common. I haven't seen a lot of people complaining about clutch failures or "chirping". I don't doubt that you may have a bad throwout bearing, but I think the "groan" and the "chirp" are different issues.

Edit: I've learned that the various sounds that bikes make can drive you crazy if you're a little obsessive/compulsive like me. I have to remind myself that I've not yet heard a sound that caused my bike to explode or melt down. Again, this does not mean you don't have a problem with your clutch. It's just a bit of reflection on my part.

Also, I have that "clunk" in my drivetrain, but I've decided to ignore it. My oilhead BMWs made similar sounds and I put more than 40,000 each on a couple of them with no problems.

Mr. B screwed with this post 07-10-2013 at 10:29 AM
Mr. B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:15 PM   #5770
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
Mine makes that groan when it's cold.
I groan when it's cold out too, especially in the morning. Normal? No...I'm certainly not normal, but, I've been going now for > 50 years so I'll just live with it.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:11 PM   #5771
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Chuck,

My family goes to Bullys all the time but I haven't had the pleasure yet.

It would be fun to know the name of the veteran you see, odds are I know him maybe a private message.
Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:18 PM   #5772
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
On another note something I forgot to mention about my trip to Canada. I am at about 2400 miles. I have always liked the smoothness of the Guzzi and the mild "throb" but as I cruised at about 4k RPM looking at miles of green everything I suddenly felt the bike smooth out totally....like all of a sudden all the parts aligned and it has stayed that way. I know it takes time to break in machines, its just I have never felt one so suddenly improve.
Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:51 AM   #5773
Adam R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryL View Post
I've got a little over 5000mi on my '12 NTX, and I feel like something has changed...but I'd like to get opinions on if this is normal or not. I recently noticed a clunking when moving along slow in first gear, and it almost sounded like the center stand banging. After checking it out and experimenting, it is actually from play somewhere in the drive. If I put the bike on the center stand and put it in 1st gear (engine off), I can rotate the rear tire and make the clunk as it goes from one end of the free play to the other (by rotating tire forward and back). So each time the drive train loads up I get the clunk. I am not sure how to measure this better, but the tire can rotate 2-1/4" at the outer circumference before hitting the stop each time I do it. That seems excessive to me, but I didn't check it when new and don't know if this is normal for this bike. The noise is not from anywhere near the rear wheel, more like the area of the transmission. Any thoughts?
Sounds like the collective backlash of the drivetrain. As you get used to the bike you probably find you're exploiting the torque more and using lower revs, which on a big twin means you'll be at very low rpm at low speeds and the power will be swapping direction often (crank to wheel - wheel to crank) and each time the total drivetrain backlash is felt being taken up. There's a cardan joint to damp it a bit, but it's still going to be felt. It's fine though. Just try lifting the rpm more and using the clutch more.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:39 AM   #5774
sjc56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,140
A film maker going around the world on a Stelvio.
Very well done,
http://rideapart.com/2013/07/around-...guzzi-stelvio/
Old 07-11-2013, 05:54 AM   #5775
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 732
It's been posted a couple of times in this thread, but here is his actual site.

http://www.stelvio2stelvio.it/
1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648
WitchCityBallabio is offline   Reply With Quote