ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 08:30 PM   #436
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride
 
Pablo83's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Woodland Park, CO
Oddometer: 4,763
The buffet was new for this year and we’ll definitely keep that going if they don’t think we’re too low-class for their joint.



It was funny when someone asked the chef what the strange gelatinous stuff was and he said “I don’t know”. I just think that’s part of the whole adventure. We tore up that fancy buffet:



In the past we've gotten to Breck around 3:00 (when the buffet closes). I shortened up the route there and lengthened the route home to make sure we would get to the buffet on time, but I still wasn't expecting to get there until 2:00. So the manager at Spencer's was not expecting us to be eating at the same time as the Jaguar Club (Oops). Hopefully he'll let us back next year.


Pablo83 screwed with this post 07-03-2013 at 08:36 PM
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #437
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride
 
Pablo83's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Woodland Park, CO
Oddometer: 4,763
The Mohawk worked great during the day. I will have it again next year, but I still need something more at night. We lost one guy (another Mark, I think) when I failed to put someone at a corner because I was chasing someone else who left the group just before the end of the ride.

I forgot to take a starting picture so I’m not sure how many people were there. I believe it was in the 32-35 range. It makes me wonder what size group I could lead before everything goes to hell.

Final picture:


I’m in back of the camera in that shot, and three other guys peeled off just before we shot this, so that makes like 17 guys that ran the A route end to end; more than twice as many as last year. When you add in the guys that finished with the B group, we had a huge percentage of finishers this year. We also had, I think, two 2 strokes finish (a first), a bunch of DR650's (I don't think we've had any participate in the past), and the KLR survived the whole trip too (minus a kickstand). Overall it was an excellent year for BT.

Riding in the dark (yup, that's pretty much what it looks like):
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:22 AM   #438
rwhittak3
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Falcon, CO
Oddometer: 145
Looks like an amazing ride! I really wanted to go this year. Next time, for sure!
rwhittak3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:58 AM   #439
jgbnm
Gnarly Adventurer
 
jgbnm's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Oddometer: 141
Wish I had made it to the end instead of having to rescue a broken Husky. First time I've had a headlight worthy of nightime.

Had a great time and glad we made the drive from NM. Thanks to all!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
jgbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:02 PM   #440
Colemanfu
King of all manfu
 
Colemanfu's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: DAYTONA USA
Oddometer: 3,315
Final picture: or stupid face contest. Happens when it's pitch black dark out .


[/QUOTE]
Went down to Ouray, booked a room and soaked and explored for 2 days. Just made it home in time for the fireworks. Thanks for the good ride, I'll get up some pix.

Fun stuff down there!



31 hours - Noon Tue in Ouray to Noon Thr Daytona, welcome home suds!
__________________
Guns keep society safe.
Colemanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:16 PM   #441
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride
 
Pablo83's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Woodland Park, CO
Oddometer: 4,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colemanfu View Post
Final picture: or stupid face contest. Happens when it's pitch black dark out .
Here's the red-eye-reduction shot (which we were all better posed for). Way to go, camera.
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:18 PM   #442
BillyGoatGruff
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Black Forest
Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff View Post
Any local WP guys want to hit 717 for a evening/night ride? I'm still staying at friends house in the painted rocks area. Went out last night for a great ride after the rain. It was awesome!

I'm thinkin leavin 7:00-7:30 and back by 9:30-10:00

I've logged in 440 mi including BT since Friday

BGG
Change that to 560mi. Road every night except wed. You guy's are missing out. It's rained every day and the conditions have been epic.
Been seeing 20-40 elk each night. To top it off saw a moose last night!

Probably should have started a separate thread, but wanted to hook up with some BTer's, but oh well.

BGG
__________________
COHVCO
BillyGoatGruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:17 AM   #443
Colemanfu
King of all manfu
 
Colemanfu's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: DAYTONA USA
Oddometer: 3,315
Brecktreck was a huge part of my CO dirtbike adv. Up there with being the first motos to cross Tin Cup (Thanks J!) as well as the emotional memorial ash placement I did on top of Black Bear Pass. RIP JCC.

Woodland Park to Breckenridge was hard - harder than expected. The trails were fantastic - more fantastic as expected. The vistas, the fellowship, the orginization all beyond my expectations.

The day before I had my best camp of the trip at Wheeler Trail 9 miles south of Breckenridge. Highest, coldest, best sunset - all after the best beer. A stout soakd in a whiskey barrer. Montgomery Resivoure. As I drove to WP Fri. aternoon I was curous how we coud go this distance on dirt throught all those mts.

Only 4 miles up to Wheeler Lake but I had an early start and 3/4 of the trail to myself - great start to day 7 of my adv. Going up Wheeler Lake trail. Brecktreck was now only a day away.

I was super nervous about the ride - the distance, the trails, not knowing anyone all raced through my head. Super nervous for some reason - perhaps the week on the road was gettin to me? Just a little too much out of my control. Mark's morning pep talk at camp was a huge help but I was still far from max confidence for it being game day and all.

Brecktreck first stop. Being told we will not group up again till lunch some 4+hrs and 120 miles later .

Phone photos only and I was a bit off on the timing. Was looking for some big air. Settled for big stuff.


Getting closer. Notice the sky?

Someone bypassed the jump just as I was getting sorted .

The system was fantastic - I enjoyed being placed at an intersection with a view.

So that was about every intersection. Fun to watch all the bike come up then rip away. Everyone had thier own style of pointing the way to go. My personal fave is the piss and point method.

I was impressed with the 6 min gap between 1st and 30th. Longest was about 45 for a busted rad. I had no clue about the flat - no help now but I had a mini compressor.

Thanks to the old timers for taking my pix. That's when noticed my name tag (COLEMANFU) was missing from my ACU jacket. I pulled up and he asked "how do you pronounce FYYFF?" "Is that Asian?" Very funny moment getting to know the other riders! As for the tag? Easy to blame the hippies- the day before I left my gear out to dry as I hiked but who knows it may have got tore off on Wheeler trail? I had an extra back in the rig.
__________________
Guns keep society safe.

Colemanfu screwed with this post 07-09-2013 at 07:22 AM
Colemanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:39 PM   #444
KilLeR Kawasaki
Marky A
 
KilLeR Kawasaki's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Littleton, Colorado
Oddometer: 922
Nice post Cole, I borrowed your photo of me. Thank you for shooting it.

__________________
2008 Kawasaki KLR650
2001 Honda XR400R
Colorado Dual Sport Riders
http://motodelmundo.blogspot.com/
KilLeR Kawasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:17 PM   #445
FabOneUp
Gnarly Adventurer
 
FabOneUp's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Divide, CO
Oddometer: 133
+1 Nice post Colemanfu. I know all the thoughts that went through your head being a first time BreckTreker myself. Next year awaits!
__________________
'14 KTM 450 XC-W, '13 Husky TR650 Terra, '12 Husky TE511
FabOneUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:13 AM   #446
Colemanfu
King of all manfu
 
Colemanfu's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: DAYTONA USA
Oddometer: 3,315
Thanks fellas.

The distance before the lunch stop was 120ish - long morning for this flatlander. I did enjoy the pace and did my best to not slow down the group too much. But by lunch my right hamstring was super tight? I was also feeling a little sick so didn't enjoy the stunning lunch as much as some . But in terms of a location - well played!

I was beat and it was only 1/2 way, oh yea and starting to rain - nice cold rain. The kind I won't get till Novenber. We gatherd outside, then the shout was given " After lunch will be considerably harder" I even asked the riders around me thier definition of "considerably" in hopes being offered a hug or a shoulder to cry on ha. The easy smell the flowers group was a liget option but not if you drove 2,000 miles for a proper ass kickin.
As an athlete I would thrive on big games, when something was on the line and even now as a coach I live for the post season. Despiration breeds production for this FF - Game on!

The motivation of killer trails was an inspiration and before I knew I was pushing right along feelin great. No pix of the super hard stuff - I was in survival mode but the part I enjoyed the most was the up hill snow section. The challenge of the conditions - cold rain, tuff trail and frickin snow? Now this is what I signed up for. Liked it so much that I passes the mohawk on an up hill and didn't even notice I was up front - till the next intersection - which was vacent? Doh!

3d gear uphills on a KTM = fun! And the only time I could close in on the 2smoker

Kind of upsetting to come over a hill and find a rider is such a confused state. I've expereinced concussions personally and many as a coach but I just check em out and send em to the athletic trainer to be sorted - sorry I wasen't more help. And hope your feeling better - what did ya do with the old lid? This was my first experience with a moto related head injury.

Not sure what to do so, I posed in front of his bike for a pix .

That's about it for BT pix. Yet to check the GPS but would guess the total distance around 230? There was a little confusion after the team pix. I made it back to camp at 10:09 but Mark was MIA? I figured he stoped to get someting to eat so showered, ate 2 pieces of old pizza and passed out. I wasen't till the next morning that I learned about his BT plus experience. He also took the time to go over the map of my next location and gave me some great tips.

I went down to Ouray and booked my first room of the trip. 2 days of soaking! Great little Mtn. town.

The top tub was the most hot and I took an afternoon soak as well as an after dinner soak each day. Evening Face Time from the tub was a hit with Mrs Manfu. The Mon and Tue were spent expolring the passes before I started my way back to FL.

The passes were a great way to finish up the trip.

Thanks a bunch for including me I'll do everything I can to make it back for next seasons effort! Colemanfu
__________________
Guns keep society safe.

Colemanfu screwed with this post 07-10-2013 at 08:12 AM
Colemanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:30 PM   #447
B1KSOLO
1 down 4 up right?
 
B1KSOLO's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Longmont Colorado
Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colemanfu View Post
Thanks fellas.

The distance before the lunch stop was 120ish - long morning for this flatlander. I did enjoy the pace and did my best to not slow down the group too much. But by lunch my right hamstring was super tight? I was also feeling a little sick so didn't enjoy the stunning lunch as much as some . But in terms of a location - well played!

I was beat and it was only 1/2 way, oh yea and starting to rain - nice cold rain. The kind I won't get till Novenber. We gatherd outside, then the shout was given " After lunch will be considerably harder" I even asked the riders around me thier definition of "considerably" in hopes being offered a hug or a shoulder to cry on ha. The easy smell the flowers group was a liget option but not if you drove 2,000 miles for a proper ass kickin.
As an athlete I would thrive on big games, when something was on the line and even now as a coach I live for the post season. Despiration breeds production for this FF - Game on!

The motivation of killer trails was an inspiration and before I knew I was pushing right along feelin great. No pix of the super hard stuff - I was in survival mode but the part I enjoyed the most was the up hill snow section. The challenge of the conditions - cold rain, tuff trail and frickin snow? Now this is what I signed up for. Liked it so much that I passes the mohawk on an up hill and didn't even notice I was up front - till the next intersection - which was vacent? Doh!

3d gear uphills on a KTM = fun! And the only time I could close in on the 2smoker

Kind of upsetting to come over a hill and find a rider is such a confused state. I've expereinced concussions personally and many as a coach but I just check em out and send em to the athletic trainer to be sorted - sorry I wasen't more help. And hope your feeling better - what did ya do with the old lid? This was my first experience with a moto related head injury.

Not sure what to do so, I posed in front of his bike for a pix .

That's about it for BT pix. Yet to check the GPS but would guess the total distance around 230? There was a little confusion after the team pix. I made it back to camp at 10:09 but Mark was MIA? I figured he stoped to get someting to eat so showered, ate 2 pieces of old pizza and passed out. I wasen't till the next morning that I learned about his BT plus experience. He also took the time to go over the map of my next location and gave me some great tips.

I went down to Ouray and booked my first room of the trip. 2 days of soaking! Great little Mtn. town.

The top tub was the most hot and I took an afternoon soak as well as an after dinner soak each day. Evening Face Time from the tub was a hit with Mrs Manfu. The Mon and Tue were spent expolring the passes before I started my way back to FL.

The passes were a great way to finish up the trip.

Thanks a bunch for including me I'll do everything I can to make it back for next seasons effort! Colemanfu
Hey FYYFF check your PM's
B1KSOLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:34 PM   #448
DudeCO
Adventurer
 
DudeCO's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Colorado Springs
Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colemanfu View Post
Kind of upsetting to come over a hill and find a rider is such a confused state. I've expereinced concussions personally and many as a coach but I just check em out and send em to the athletic trainer to be sorted - sorry I wasen't more help. And hope your feeling better - what did ya do with the old lid? This was my first experience with a moto related head injury.
Helmet splitter here...I'm good thanks for asking. Helmet's in my office as a new conversation piece.

Still have no idea what happened or how it happened. All I remember is sitting on the side of the trail with all u guys looking at me and one of you sitting beside me. Would love to hear from someone that saw the wreck. Was I unconscious for a period of time?

Bikes back together, new helmet arrives Monday. I'm ready for the next one.
__________________
2009 WR450
DudeCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:48 AM   #449
OldenSlow
Gnarly Adventurer
 
OldenSlow's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2013
Location: SE Wyoming
Oddometer: 111
BrekTrek 2014

Does anyone know --- Is this ride happening in 2014? Looks like my kind of party.

I could take a DR350 or WR200 2T -- are there enough gas stops for a 2T? The little bikes are so much more fun on the trails. So much easier to pick up, repeatedly.
OldenSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:23 AM   #450
modette
RMAR
 
modette's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Monument, CO
Oddometer: 4,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldenSlow View Post
Does anyone know --- Is this ride happening in 2014? Looks like my kind of party.

I could take a DR350 or WR200 2T -- are there enough gas stops for a 2T? The little bikes are so much more fun on the trails. So much easier to pick up, repeatedly.
I did it with my GasGas EC300 2T, I took along extra fuel along with oil...used the oil never really needed the extra fuel so they got dumped coming back at the station in Lake George. Bike was much better without extra fuel bouncing around in saddled bags. I got great range out of my stock GasGas tank but I also have a SmartCarb and you pick up some mpg with that.

I have not heard from Pablo83....I hope it goes on. I might use the 2014 KLR650 if this ride don't conflict with another event with the KLR signed out on. Otherwise probably go back to my XR650R as I do like the ability to haul butt ;-)
__________________
Member of AMA, COHVCO, and RMAR
On the Board of Directors for RMAR: Director of Promotions
Our site: Rocky Mountain Adventure Riders
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014