User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 09:57 PM   #1171
rfoll
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
1988 klr 250 carb issues

I suspected air leaks initially, but I have inspected everything, even the car adapter and it's O ring. All of the emissions stuff has been removed, so the vacuum port at the front of the port is capped. I put a new O ring under the pilot spring, and I replaced the broken starter cap and assembly thinking it might leak there. I suspected the worn slide of leaking too much air but the slot it fits in showed no signs of wear, likely a better material. The fact it idles well with the pilot turned all the way in tells me something odd is happening, but I have run out of ideas. I am going to pick up a complete parts bike tomorrow, and with any luck, the pilot needle will be intact and give me something for comparison. I am not a stranger to carburetors, I have been drag racing for over 35 years. But this isn't a Holley, and I don't have 3 functional spares on the shelf. I wonder if the removal of all of the factory systems has somehow unbalanced something. When I tried to run without the air cleaner, ( I think it's a unifilter) the engine ran so lean it wouldn't rev past 7000.
rfoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:23 PM   #1172
DrMoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Talking Movin' On

I put my '00 klr250 in the flea market today if anyone in the southeast is looking for one (I'm in Savannah). ~8k miles on it; I've been using it regularly for commuting over the past couple of years. It is a really great bike but I'll be moving this summer and it isn't looking too practical to try to get it to the left coast.

Some of you would say (rightfully) that I should just ride it there! But I'll be on the big bike - my first Really Big Bike Trip.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:03 PM   #1173
rfoll
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
1988 klr 250 carb issues

Found out the problem. I acquired another carb from a parts bike for comparison, and found that a previous owner for my bike had drilled the pilot screw hole out, maybe an additional .010: -.015". With the screw all the way in, it would protrude nearly 1/16" into the throat. That explains why it would only idle with the screw bottomed out and the throttle plate opened excessively.
rfoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:46 PM   #1174
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,226
It's been a month since I've been out on my KLR since breaking my fibula. I decided to take it out for ride on the trails today, mainly just putzing around on the easy trails, since my leg's still not at 100%. I was pleasantly surprised when she fired up after the second kick, with no choke, after sitting neglected for a month.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #1175
Pork Butt
Save the USA

Oddometer: 63,050
the rear shock on my 05 bit the farm .... can any 650 shock be fitted or is there a better idea ???

the first clue was when the rear wheel ate my license plate

PB
Old 07-09-2013, 03:29 PM   #1176
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork Butt View Post
the rear shock on my 05 bit the farm .... can any 650 shock be fitted or is there a better idea ???

PB
Takes some doin', I've read, but--I think a 650 shock implant is possible.

My rear tire eats up my license plate regularly, even with a fully-functional rear shock!

Thus, I think, as the dealerships sometimes say, "That's NORMAL! They ALL do that!"

I first thought mischevious vandals were bending the plate while the bike was parked in my parking lot; straightened that sucker out.

Went on an off-road ride, and, would you belive it? Those pesky rascals FOLLOWED me, out in the boonies, and mangled the license plate again, just as they did before!

The cure is: License plate relocation, regardless of rear shock condition, I fear.
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:38 PM   #1177
Pork Butt
Save the USA

well there is also the oil spewing from it when I push down

that factory shock is over $600

ebay thus far is not very promising on a 650 shock .... I watched a vid on how to and it looks doable.

PB
Old 07-10-2013, 02:59 PM   #1178
dfye55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork Butt View Post

PB
The rear tire will eat the license plate when you bottom out, I think thats normal. I remounted the plate, still bottom out once on a while, but no damage to plate. I can send pic of plate mount if wanted.

Sent from mobile
Old 07-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #1179
Pork Butt
Save the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfye55 View Post
The rear tire will eat the license plate when you bottom out, I think thats normal. I remounted the plate, still bottom out once on a while, but no damage to plate. I can send pic of plate mount if wanted.

Sent from mobile

well what I need a is a shock solution as this one is broke and all I have is the spring to ride on

I am going to try cogent dynamics since I met a couple of them at a rally maybe they have something laying around but shit this is depressing ... a beater bike and you cant get a shock for it for less than 50% of the value

I am pulling the thing next week to see if it truly is "un-rebuild-able"

PB
Old 07-10-2013, 04:25 PM   #1180
trailhiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
make a short riding video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZBkfBwHpvM
trailhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:16 PM   #1181
MILLENNIUM FALCON
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
does anyone know the torque value for the valve adjuster lock nuts? I have searched all over with no luck. Thanks!
MILLENNIUM FALCON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:39 PM   #1182
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILLENNIUM FALCON View Post
does anyone know the torque value for the valve adjuster lock nuts? I have searched all over with no luck. Thanks!
This site is pretty good:

http://home.earthlink.net/~klr250informationexchange/

Go to the Tool Kit page. It shows the valve adjustment procedures. I have used this info to adjust my valves. The torque value they list is 18 foot pounds.

YMMV
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:33 PM   #1183
MILLENNIUM FALCON
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Very Helpful.....thank you so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
This site is pretty good:

http://home.earthlink.net/~klr250informationexchange/

Go to the Tool Kit page. It shows the valve adjustment procedures. I have used this info to adjust my valves. The torque value they list is 18 foot pounds.

YMMV
MILLENNIUM FALCON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:54 PM   #1184
nnamssorxela
\(_o)/

Oddometer: 51
Looks like I just picked up DrMoto's old KLR. Bike is pretty much perfect as is (stock with some goodies), minus the rear shock and some chain issues.

Installed are progressive springs in the forks and a top gun 650 spring (softest 6.6kg spring) on the stock 250 shock. Unfortunately the 250 shock is completely blown with zero dampening. I get nasty wheel hop over bumps, and I can bunny hop the rear tire off the ground!! I just purchased a 650 shock that I will be tinkering with when it gets in.

I know someone out there sells a spacer for ~$50, but I'm cheap and looking for an alternative. Thinking I might just have the OEM pin turned into a spacer (shorten then bore it out) then use a bolt to sandwich it all together as that seems the simplest.

Finally, I'm looking for tires. Ideally I'd run a D606, but the only 17" size they have is 130/90 and I've read of clearance issues not only with the exhaust and chain, but ripping knobs off when the tire expands at speed and hits the inside of the swing arm.

Any suggestions on a primarily offroad tire with decent wear? (not sure how I feel about the mt21 given the reviews I've read)

Thanks in advance,
-Alex
nnamssorxela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:10 AM   #1185
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnamssorxela View Post
Any suggestions on a primarily offroad tire with decent wear? (not sure how I feel about the mt21 given the reviews I've read)
I've used 5.10 X 17 Kenda K270 (exhaust shimmed outboard one washer) and same size Kenda TrakMaster II rear tires (the latter, shimmed outboard two washers); excellent mileage and versatility on the K270, and outstanding off-road performance from the TrakMaster II (no mileage concusions yet available), matching 3.25 X 21 fronts in both cases.

I'm amazed at how pavement-friendly the TrakMaster II is, runs smoothly up to Interstate speeds, takes the twisties with some confidence; off-road champ, doubtless. Don't know about mileage yet, but--they're rather affordable. With access to replacements, what? ME worry?
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote