ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2013, 09:10 AM   #1
flyingwombat OP
frozen dead guy

Oddometer: 721
Question Mostly dirt loop from Ned to Keystone and back?

I'm trying to figure out a good loop from Nederland to the Red Cone area involving as little pavement and backtracking as possible.

It's a bummer that half of Argentine pass is closed because that would be perfect.

I'm not seeing anything other than Loveland Pass or Guanella Pass. Is there anything else? Some of the GPS tracks and satellite imagery shows trails that come very close to connecting but don't seem to connect.

So far my loop is Ned -> Kingston Peak -> Dumont -> Spring Creek -> Saxon Mountain -> Guanella Pass -> Grant -> Red Cone -> Montezuma -> Keystone -> then either back the way we came (via Webster if it's melted enough) or Loveland Pass and I70 or ??

Thanks
Old 07-08-2013, 08:14 AM   #2
BurroFoot
n00b

Oddometer: 9
I can't help much with the route, but if you want some company when you tackle this let me know.
BurroFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:52 AM   #3
wzd1a
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,318
I'm surprised no one has responded, but i will propose a route:

Ned to west Mag, west mag to kingston peak to Central City,, central city to st. Mary's Glacier (now alice), across I-70 to georgetown, Georgetown up over Saxon Mtn, Nice road ride past Evens, through evergreen to Foxton Rd, South Platte to Buffalo Creek,

Several choices from here, either head up to tarry all and get back on the dirt in jefferson up to over georgia etc, or better yet take buffalo creek back to 285, exit at Grant toward webster, work your way up to and over kenosha pass and ride the dirt form there to Georgia Pass and either work your way up to St. Johns and down to keystone or head into Brek and ride some road to keystone.

There are several ways to do what you want, with differing levels of difficulty and length.

Enjoy
wzd1a is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:05 AM   #4
wzd1a
Beastly Adventurer

If you do the Grant/Kenosha section you should find this:

Map of Kenosha area:

Let us know if any of this is still open:

wzd1a screwed with this post 07-08-2013 at 09:13 AM
Old 07-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #5
flyingwombat OP
frozen dead guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wzd1a View Post
I'm surprised no one has responded, but i will propose a route:

Ned to west Mag, west mag to kingston peak to Central City,, central city to st. Mary's Glacier (now alice), across I-70 to georgetown, Georgetown up over Saxon Mtn, Nice road ride past Evens, through evergreen to Foxton Rd, South Platte to Buffalo Creek,

Several choices from here, either head up to tarry all and get back on the dirt in jefferson up to over georgia etc, or better yet take buffalo creek back to 285, exit at Grant toward webster, work your way up to and over kenosha pass and ride the dirt form there to Georgia Pass and either work your way up to St. Johns and down to keystone or head into Brek and ride some road to keystone.

There are several ways to do what you want, with differing levels of difficulty and length.

Enjoy
Thanks! I'm going to have a look at the maps again!
Old 07-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #6
wolfmanluggage
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Kingston Pass..

I was up at Kingston Pass on Friday 7/5,2013. The Gate was closed and locked.
I rode my Super Tenere over Saxon Mtn a few weeks ago, big bike on a rocky ride, would be great on a small bike...

Woof,
e
wolfmanluggage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:46 AM   #7
thump_co
..ouch

Oddometer: 1,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmanluggage View Post
I was up at Kingston Pass on Friday 7/5,2013. The Gate was closed and locked.
Scheduled to open starting 7/15.

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:52 PM   #8
Gitana
A work in progress

Oddometer: 6,904
And it wasn't open early this past Saturday.
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:14 PM   #9
Wentjo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Called clear creek ranger district today, they said they were going to open the gate this week. Hopefully they do.
Wentjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:32 PM   #10
bradrh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by wzd1a View Post
If you do the Grant/Kenosha section you should find this:

Where is that water crossing?
Old 07-10-2013, 08:58 PM   #11
wzd1a
Beastly Adventurer

Lininger cutoff intersect w/ Beaver creek. It is a deep long crossing. Beaver creek is aptly named. The snips presented below are from Yahoo maps (hybird)

On the day I rode that last fall with Kelly, we went up webster, st. Johns, mid. fork of Swan or deer creek (can't remember) up georgia, past the jefferson lake overflow, over Kenosha pass, and to the webster pass road - a very nice loop.

wzd1a screwed with this post 07-10-2013 at 09:28 PM
Old 07-17-2013, 07:22 AM   #12
flyingwombat OP
frozen dead guy

Cooler King and I did this yesterday. Modified 650L and 650R.

I got a flat at Mammoth Gulch, patched it (of course this was the first time I didn't have a tube), patch failed shortly after Dumont. Tube had a nice big rip now, had to call rescue wagon for a new tube. Lost about 3 hours there.

Luckily the weather cooperated. We skipped the Saxon Mt. section. Went Guanella, over Red Cone. There is a small path through the Webster Cornice now by the way. Then we went up Radical Hill, saw a herd of mountain goats. Headed down through Montezuma and Keystone. Took Swan River road, got gas and hot dogs at the 7/11 in Breck, went up Tiger Road to Georgia Pass, over that, out to Jefferson. We were racing darkness now because the bulbs in Cooler King's lights failed. Made it back across Guanella and over I70 before it was too dark. Went back over Kingston in the dark on just my headlights. It was fun. We got faster as we went. Got back at about 10pm (we left at 8am and had breakfast at Sundance). 220 miles. Pretty nice loop. If we didn't lose all the time with the flat maybe we would have done Saxon on the way back.