Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2013, 07:14 AM   #16
The Kurgan
Firing on one cylinder

Oddometer: 349
I know you mentioned that an ST1100 may be above your price point, but I have seen the occassional deal on them, and even higher mileage examples will likely give you many more years of enjoyment. I simply cannot think of a better sport-tourer, that emphasizes the touring end, than the ST1100 -- especially the later ABS versions. They are a bit heavy, and the plastics are a biatch to remove for maintenance, but talk about smooth and stable! I also think they've aged well, and still look great.
2003 Suzuki SV1000S, 1975 Honda CB500T (two of them)
1984 Yamaha Riva 180
The Kurgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:39 AM   #17
McJamie OP
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kurgan View Post
I know you mentioned that an ST1100 may be above your price point, but I have seen the occassional deal on them, and even higher mileage examples will likely give you many more years of enjoyment. I simply cannot think of a better sport-tourer, that emphasizes the touring end, than the ST1100 -- especially the later ABS versions. They are a bit heavy, and the plastics are a biatch to remove for maintenance, but talk about smooth and stable! I also think they've aged well, and still look great.
I am quite familiar with the ST, from when it first came out, until the last version of the 1100. I think one of the reasons it works so well, is that Honda designed that engine specifically for that bike, so the whole thing was built as a package, not just trying to make an existing engine work with something else. They are pretty faultless I know, but I want something low mileage. There aren't really any low mileage ST's around, and if there are, the price is high enough that i can look at much newer bikes as well. Or, they are really high mileage( which I know they are more than capable of), which I don't want.
And I think I am ready to compromise a bit of comfort, for a bit more sportiness, if that makes sense.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:45 AM   #18
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,151
Perhaps more exotic and sportier than desired but an Aprilia Futura is also quite nice, and Triumph Sprints. The Triumphs can be found at a good price, th Aprilia is of course harder to find and a few more $$ as I think people know how nice it can be.
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:46 AM   #19
duke944
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
I see ST1100's come up all the time priced below $4k, often with mileage below 40k. I've owned a couple and paid about $2500 for each, although they were early '90s models. I've considered these bikes to be the best sport tourers for the buck for quite some time. They are in a different class than the ZZR, BB, Futura etc of course - they are shaft drive and much bigger/heavier.
duke944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:39 AM   #20
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,451
Check out the zzrbikes.com forum; there is a buy/sell area on there and once in a while a great deal pops up.

I love mine; it's the best carburation I've ever had the pleasure to ride. And it's true it never needs anything but regular maintenance and tires.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:37 AM   #21
squirrelnator
Mystical Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
I think that if you are a little patient, you can pick up an ST1100 that meets your criteria of lower mileage and your price point. We see them come along every once in a while locally here in Texas. Great for touring, not particularly sporty, reliable as an anvil.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:23 PM   #22
roadstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
early R1100RT`s & K1100LT`s can go for 4k for the RT & less 3K for the LT`s. They both handle very well & you can get tons of miles out of each of them. But if your looking at the Honda`s the ST1100 is the way to go (try & find a later one with bigger alternator). Also don`t knock the early Busa`s , they can be comfy & loves miles.
roadstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:38 PM   #23
McJamie OP
STROMINATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadstar View Post
early R1100RT`s & K1100LT`s can go for 4k for the RT & less 3K for the LT`s. They both handle very well & you can get tons of miles out of each of them. But if your looking at the Honda`s the ST1100 is the way to go (try & find a later one with bigger alternator). Also don`t knock the early Busa`s , they can be comfy & loves miles.
I'm not a BMW guy. I've ridden the 1100/1150rt's, and while I find them completely functional in the role they are meant for, I found them a little buzzy, and I find the little BMW quirks( 3 buttons to work turn signals, and the grips being tapered towards the inside, expensive parts & service) annoying enough to keep me away from it. If I had the budget, I could forgive the quirks, and step up to a 1200RT, although horror stories about failed rear ends, would probably still keep me away.

I won't rule out the ST, but it's not the one that stirs my heart.
I know the Hyabusa works well, but they always looked like a dog humping a football to me.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:39 PM   #24
McJamie OP
STROMINATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Check out the zzrbikes.com forum; there is a buy/sell area on there and once in a while a great deal pops up.

I love mine; it's the best carburation I've ever had the pleasure to ride. And it's true it never needs anything but regular maintenance and tires.
Thanks, I will look there tonight.
And everyone I've spoken to, and anything I've read, confirm that it may be one of the best carburated bikes ever produced.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:21 PM   #25
roadstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by McJamie View Post
I'm not a BMW guy. I've ridden the 1100/1150rt's, and while I find them completely functional in the role they are meant for, I found them a little buzzy, and I find the little BMW quirks( 3 buttons to work turn signals, and the grips being tapered towards the inside, expensive parts & service) annoying enough to keep me away from it. If I had the budget, I could forgive the quirks, and step up to a 1200RT, although horror stories about failed rear ends, would probably still keep me away.

I won't rule out the ST, but it's not the one that stirs my heart.
I know the Hyabusa works well, but they always looked like a dog humping a football to me.
I have ridden the R1100 & yes it was buzzy but in a wierd way , the 1150 was better & great weather protection on both. As for the R1200RT , i think i`m in love with mine. Great twin cam engine , yes a little buzzy at 85mph & up ( kind of a throb not a buzz) but hit the cruise control & enjoy the ride. As for there quirky controls , i like the older design (thumb swithch on both controls) my K1100LT has that & i like it much better than the jap ripoff they installed on the 2010`s & later. I have friends that own BMW`s & out of them all the K1200LT diff went bad at 157,000mi`s (don`t believe everything you read on the internet). guess it`s luck of the draw. I came off an 07 FJR & think that had more vibes than my RT. (but way faster)

Remember BMW has the best tasting cool aid
roadstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:09 AM   #26
Bbasso
my name is Rob

Oddometer: 1,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by McJamie View Post
CBR1100XX would be another option, and later ones are fuel injected too.

So who's toured on any of these?

A few days ago I got back from a 1800 mile trip on my new to me 2002 Blackbird.

I'm loving it.
If you have questions, I'll try to answer.
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:13 AM   #27
Yostwerks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Great looking Blackbird .. Corbin Panniers ?

I've owned several of the bikes being discussed here, and of the larger sport TOURERS, the 1991 ST1100 was my favorite. I owned mine for nearly 18 years and 80,000 miles. It was smooth and comfortable, and better handling than one would expect

I also owned a 1997 Concours C10 and found it a reliable and good handling bike. It was more nimble in the corners than the Honda. Heat was the only issue I had with the bike.

My 2005 FJR 1300 was good looking, and well built, but I didn't like it's handling or the way it wore out front tires faster than rear's ? Heat was a minor issue also. Overall, my least favorite.

Of the SPORT touring bikes, the 1989 FJ1200 was a great looking design with far less comfort than the three above, but a powerful and fun bike.

My 2008 Triumph Sprint is a great all-rounder with quick handling and a comfortable ride. Highly recommended.

My 2002 Aprilia Falco with panniers and heli-bars is another bike that surprises with it's great handling and ride. Plus, nothing sounds better than a Rotax V-Twin ... to me anyway !

The 2012 Kawasaki ZX14R is a powerful beast , but a comfortable one also. Handling is good. Properly set-up with panniers, top box, heli-bar risers, and lower pegs, it's got all day comfort along with it's monster 200hp motor !

There are many other bikes out there that make excellent sport tourers, but I've not had the pleasure of owning them. The Aprilia Futura, VFR 750 / 800, Blackbird, MG Norge , and Daytona 955 among others ... come to mind. These are the ones I've ridden.

Tom

Falco and Sprint .... Minus their panniers . Good used versions of each can be had at low prices.

ZX14R ... Super-Sport touring. Older ZX14's are plentifiul, and at reasonable prices.

Last week on the Sprint...

Falco in Sport touring mode ...

Yostwerks screwed with this post 07-12-2013 at 05:11 AM
Yostwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:49 AM   #28
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,190
I put a ton of miles on my '99 PGM FI Blackbird, one of several SS1K's on it, and generally toured all over the western US on it. Great bike.

But I had a ZX-14 a few bikes ago that I put 27,000 miles on in 18 months, and it was like the XX times 1.5.... smoother, much faster, build quality that is right there with the XX. That was an excellent bike, period.

I like the idea of the ST1100 for your budget though. I had an ST1300 that was a great mile eater, but it's not as cheap under the hood at maintenance time as the ST1100. I recently was looking at picking up an ST1100, there are good buys out there....but I found a deal on a new, leftover VFR1200F that turned out to be one of the best distance and sporttouring bikes I've owned. It's a fantastic bike, but not in your budget....so I won't mention it

You might find an FJR in your budget as well.....I put 34,000 miles on my '07 in 20 months and it still ranks in my top three bikes ever. GREAT bike despite being nothing special on paper compared to it's competition.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:45 AM   #29
Bbasso
my name is Rob

Oddometer: 1,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yostwerks View Post
Great looking Blackbird .. Corbin Panniers ?
Yes,

They are actually called Corbin Bettle Bags and Smuggler seat.
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:14 AM   #30
Unleaded
Unit Train

Oddometer: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
....but I found a deal on a new, leftover VFR1200F that turned out to be one of the best distance and sporttouring bikes I've owned. It's a fantastic bike, but not in your budget....so I won't mention it
I won't mention it either, except to say I've had the same experience. Just did a SS1k on Monday, from Illinois to Silverthorne, CO. On the return trip I rode up to RMNP, Cheyenne, WY, and back across I-80/I-29S/I-70 back to Illinois yesterday afternoon.

Even over 2300 miles of tedious slab in three days, the bike was wonderful.