User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 07:17 PM   #151
Tilt2turn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
Cavendish not ever winning again would be fine with me.

http://winginit.smugmug.com/
Tilt2turn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:23 PM   #152
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt2turn View Post
Thankfully....not likely
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:20 PM   #153
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt2turn View Post
I saw the replay during this AM's stage. While Cav may have thrown a bit more of a shoulder than necessary, I don't see that he was significantly in the wrong.

The race jury saw it the same way.

For real 'interesting' sprinting, go back and find some Abdujaparov sprints.

M
Old 07-10-2013, 08:54 PM   #154
Schnickelfritz
pick, grin, repeat

Oddometer: 1,955
Cavendish totally at fault, IMO. Veelers and Kittel completely outmaneuvered him with a totally clean, totally pro move by Veelers, whose movement was insignificant compared to the fact that Cav was already isolated, out of position, on the wrong side of the road, gapped and out of the sprint the moment Greipel jumped.

Veelers looked behind before it was clear that Cav was going right. In fact, he had every reason to think, since the road, Kittel, and Greipel were all going left, that Cav would, too. Because that's where a rider who isn't in the process of totally fucking up the sprint would go. And when Cav hit him, he was moving back to his left already. It should be obvious that Cav would have driven his bike into Veelers's front wheel even if Veelers had held his line. That's a dick move. Bonus: since he was hitting Veelers from behind, he had time to drop his shoulder for good measure.

Robbie McEwen thinks Cav was OK in the sprint? That should tell you all you need to know. You can bet that the next time someone brings Cav down, through bad luck, bad judgement, retaliation, or whatever, Mark will cry like a baby, question the professionalism of the other riders, and insist on relegation for shit riding. That's what he's done in the past, and that's why he's getting away with it now. Cav wants to call this a racing incident? Fine. Then let him keep his whiny mouth shut, for once and forever, when it happens to him.
Schnickelfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:31 PM   #155
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 74,944
So, how hard is 3:25 to overcome? One meltdown on a mountain? Does Froome melt down? They said he hasn't all year.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:01 PM   #156
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
So, how hard is 3:25 to overcome? One meltdown on a mountain? Does Froome melt down? They said he hasn't all year.
Hard to know, just a few years ago he was way down in the standings, like 86th or so.

Then, claims he had a rare parasite he got in Africa, which slowed him down.

Sky was going to cut him from the team, then in 2011 he does really well at the Vuelta imagine that!

Now that he beat his parasite, he comes out of nowhere to finish second last year in the
Tour, and now is blowing the doors off everyone. Hmmmmmm.

Color me a skeptic, but I think he juiced. And still does.

My book "If You Look at Your Health in a New Way..." is available here
and as PDF here
available in Kindle format here
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:44 AM   #157
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnickelfritz View Post
Cavendish totally at fault, IMO. Veelers and Kittel completely outmaneuvered him with a totally clean, totally pro move by Veelers, whose movement was insignificant compared to the fact that Cav was already isolated, out of position, on the wrong side of the road, gapped and out of the sprint the moment Greipel jumped.

Veelers looked behind before it was clear that Cav was going right. In fact, he had every reason to think, since the road, Kittel, and Greipel were all going left, that Cav would, too. Because that's where a rider who isn't in the process of totally fucking up the sprint would go. And when Cav hit him, he was moving back to his left already. It should be obvious that Cav would have driven his bike into Veelers's front wheel even if Veelers had held his line. That's a dick move. Bonus: since he was hitting Veelers from behind, he had time to drop his shoulder for good measure.

Robbie McEwen thinks Cav was OK in the sprint? That should tell you all you need to know. You can bet that the next time someone brings Cav down, through bad luck, bad judgement, retaliation, or whatever, Mark will cry like a baby, question the professionalism of the other riders, and insist on relegation for shit riding. That's what he's done in the past, and that's why he's getting away with it now. Cav wants to call this a racing incident? Fine. Then let him keep his whiny mouth shut, for once and forever, when it happens to him.
Not that you're prejudiced in any way.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:02 AM   #158
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:

Not a fan huh...

Veelers knew exactly what he was doing and HE is the one bitching and crying like a baby because he went down.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 07-11-2013, 08:04 AM   #159
Wildman
In my castle

Chapeau to Kittel.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Old 07-11-2013, 08:09 AM   #160
geg
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,187
no Dutch treat for Cav

Quote:
Mark Cavendish 'not welcome' at Dutch race after Tom Veelers Tour crash

Sprinter 'taken off the list' for Boxmeer Criterium on 22 July
Organisers: Cavendish 'absolutely responsible' for Veelers' fall

Britain's Mark Cavendish competing during the stage 11 Tour de France time trial from Avranches to Mont Saint-Michel. Photograph: Jeff Pachoud/AFP/Getty Images

Mark Cavendish has been told he is not welcome at the Boxmeer Criterium following his crash with Tom Veelers during stage 10 of the Tour de France.
Cavendish was criticised when he bumped the Dutch rider Veelers in a sprint finish on Tuesday in Saint-Malo, sending the Argos-Shimano rider tumbling. Cavendish was cleared of any wrongdoing by Tour commissaires but was targeted by supporters during Wednesday's time trial, when he was jeered by sections of the crowd and even sprayed with urine by one roadside spectator.
The race in Holland is scheduled for 22 July, a day after the Tour comes to a conclusion in Paris. But it appears Cavendish, of the Omega Pharma-Quickstep team, will not be invited.
The former rider Twan Poels, a member of the Boxmeer organising committee, is reported to have said: "We may be looking for a sprinter, but Cavendish is not that. I have seen the TV images of the sprint together with the board and I decided to take him off the list.
"Simply put, we find his actions not very good. The jury may think he is not responsible for the fall of Tom Veelers we absolutely believe otherwise."

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
geg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:30 AM   #161
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by geg View Post
no Dutch treat for Cav
I'm sure Cav will be gutted, gutted I tell ya.

Or not...
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 07-11-2013, 09:15 AM   #162
Wildman
In my castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
I'm sure Cav will be gutted, gutted I tell ya.

Or not...
Old 07-11-2013, 11:40 AM   #163
Schnickelfritz
pick, grin, repeat

Oddometer: 1,955
Quote:

Not a fan huh...

Veelers knew exactly what he was doing and
Totally agree. So did Cav. Difference is this:

Cav--apparently deliberately--initiated contact and took down another rider. From behind. That's an automatic red card in soccer, and a relegation in cycling. Usually.

Quote:
HE is the one bitching and crying like a baby because he went down.
Someone here said he was still asking for an apology (I have not read that anywhere else, tho), and I've only read Veelers saying after the sprint that relegation was not his decision. That's not bitching or crying. And it's certainly nothing like Cav's sorry-ass whining when he ends up on the bad end of a "racing incident."

Cav got utterly outfoxed and lost, then took down Veelers in a Cat 6 move.

Kittel again today. Straight up this time. Best revenge for Veelers and Co.
Schnickelfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:48 PM   #164
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,391
Kittel looked good

Froome has lost Bosen-Hagen, out with scapular FX, ouch
We'll see if a 3 minute gap can overcome the lessened team support- I forsee Froome alone (W/O a team) in the alps
Old 07-11-2013, 01:06 PM   #165
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Totally agree. So did Cav. Difference is this:

Cav--apparently deliberately--initiated contact and took down another rider. From behind. That's an automatic red card in soccer, and a relegation in cycling. Usually.

Someone here said he was still asking for an apology (I have not read that anywhere else, tho), and I've only read Veelers saying after the sprint that relegation was not his decision. That's not bitching or crying. And it's certainly nothing like Cav's sorry-ass whining when he ends up on the bad end of a "racing incident."

Cav got utterly outfoxed and lost, then took down Veelers in a Cat 6 move.

Kittel again today. Straight up this time. Best revenge for Veelers and Co.
You are out of your freakin' mind if you think Cav initiated contact. Have you actually seen the video where Veelers moves to his right into Cav's path.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: