User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2013, 05:53 PM   #1
banshee8989 OP
AKA: Fartman

Oddometer: 803
Kia Sadona any good?

So I have been looking for a good used mini van to supplement my truck with children hauling duties. We have a 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan with 135,000 on the clock that we purchased new and it has been a great car and is still going strong.

I really wanted another Dodge of that same style..... but I cannot find one that is not trashed, rusted, or priced right. WTF happend to all the good used cars???? Seems people want a fortune for junk these days.

Anyho... I found a 2005 Kia Sadona with 50,000 miles for $6500 from a Kia dealer. Its in great shape, new tires, and they said they would change the timing belt and serpentine belt before I picked it up. Seems like a good deal compared to the other junk I have been seeing.

I do all my own repairs right down to changing engines..... but I know nothing about Kias. Is this a good car? any thing I should know?
Old 07-09-2013, 07:10 PM   #2
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,796
My stepmom has a Sedona...maybe 6 years old now? She has put 190K miles on it driving it all over the freakin' country and through lots of rocky mountain passes. They live in northern AZ in the mountains so it's always being driven up and down steep hills day in day out... Very little has gone wrong with it as far as I know, because my dad would be bitching if things were not going well with it. I know there are little things here and there, but that thing sees serious duty. Interior parts and switches have broken here and there, but she also hauls a lot of crap in the interior too.

If you keep up on the preventative maintenance, they seem quite solid and reliable. I've ridden in it plenty of times and it's still quiet and smooth and surprisingly rattle and squeak free. She seems to love driving it too.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:05 PM   #3
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,903
i'm not really a kia fan, but we had a sedona as a rental on a business trip and it was quite nice. it swallowed a week's luggage for five people and we still had some room. hell, i had a wicked cold, took some benadryl (like a dumbass), and slept it off comfortably for an hour or two with no re-arrangement of the seats. decent mileage, nice power when loaded down and everything seemed reasonably solid.

needless dickery
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:24 PM   #4
Lesharoturbo
Nerdly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,142
I had a 2002 that we loved. Very comfortable, heavy and well planted feeling. Not so good on gas, 15 in the city and 20 on the hwy.

However, it used to eat transmissions. I put in 3 in 138,000 miles. I used it to tow; it was rated for 3500lbs. I have a friend with a 2003 that lost it's first tranny at 22,000 miles, no towing. But he has not lost one since. i would be a little gun shy if it has a hitch installed.

Supposedly the tranny was all new in 2005, but I don't know for sure.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:37 PM   #5
tkitna
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,416
Our preachers wife has one to shuttle the kids around. 2004 model. Dropped a tranny around 65000 (few months ago). She likes it besides that.

2008 DL650
2013 Goldwing
tkitna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:07 AM   #6
banshee8989 OP

It does have a hitch.... but I think the 2005s up have a different tranny. I will look into it. Thanks.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:19 AM   #7
McCormack
eltiT resU motsuC

Oddometer: 5,197
Kia appear to be quite nice these days.

At some point, I believe they put a real effort into improving quality (when the 100,000 mile warranty came out?).

I'd just be wary of any Kia from before that time (not sure if 2005 is or not).

Even doing your own work, there is only so much you can do when the parts and overall quality you have are crap. Again, not sure if 2005 falls into the good years or not.
McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:27 AM   #8
davethegoat
bahhh....bah...

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesharoturbo View Post
I had a 2002 that we loved.

However, it used to eat transmissions. I put in 3 in 138,000 miles. I have a friend with a 2003 that lost it's first tranny at 22,000 miles

How the hell can you love a vehicle that needs transmissions more frequently than tires????????????
Old 07-10-2013, 05:41 PM   #9
tkitna
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkitna View Post
Our preachers wife has one to shuttle the kids around. 2004 model. Dropped a tranny around 65000 (few months ago). She likes it besides that.
Talked to her today and I was wrong. Its a 2006 model and she hates it now. Just recently she took through a car wash and the back automatic door started opening along with the moon roof. The electronics are costing her an arm and a leg she says.

2008 DL650
2013 Goldwing
tkitna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:26 AM   #10
banshee8989 OP

Well... I purchased it. I talked the stealer into them replacing the timing belt before I pick it up.

It has no power doors or moon roof so them opening up should not be a problem unlike the above poster.

Wish me luck.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: