ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2013, 05:45 PM   #18901
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dust View Post
Regarding the massive test in AMCN, I read some last night after work but read a bit more today and they do say it got a very comfortable seat and riding position.
Now it sounds like they got everything wrong.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:31 PM   #18902
Red Dust
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
I just think a magazine test is an indication but not the whole story think the ST got more than what is in that particular test, most reporters are just exited of all the new models I think.
Red Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:38 PM   #18903
Geology Rocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
The S10 is getting a friend in the garage. A 2012 vstrom 650 adventure. I get it in october and the S10 is staying.
The "Suicide Disease" - Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. The pain never ends
http://www.rsds.org/2/what_is_rsd_crps/
Geology Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:00 PM   #18904
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geology Rocks View Post
The S10 is getting a friend in the garage. A 2012 vstrom 650 adventure. I get it in october and the S10 is staying.
Nice!

I really enjoyed my 'strom. That 650 motor is really a gem, one of the all-time great motorcycle engines. I do miss it at times...
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:36 PM   #18905
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geology Rocks View Post
Great to get a second bike, both for you?
Old 07-10-2013, 11:51 PM   #18906
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,484
Quote:
Regarding the massive test in AMCN, I read some last night after work but read a bit more today and they do say it got a very comfortable seat and riding position. If all the test people swapped the eight bikes between them and did a fair test the figures should be fair especially the dyno graphs if it was made during the same day with the same dyno operator, the ST had by far the least hp which we all know does not mean it would be a less bike sometimes it can be better such as off road.
After have read the test I do still think I should have test ridden the KTM1190R... but that bike got a chain, probably not as good pillion seat, speeding fine engine (hooligan power), bit more expensive but not much compared to a new ST (I bought a demo).
The nice parts of the KTM could have been: 21" front wheel, lighter, way lower fuel consumption (at least in this test), the 50% more hp could come in handy at times but also bring the hooligan out, also has a smoother engine and an awesome TC/ABS set up, thought the ST was good. So far the ST has been good and is getting better for me, has cost me a fortune in farkles but I guess any other bike would have done that too. In this test the best overall bike that won was the new BMW1200 (the KTM demolished all of the bikes on dirt roads but overall the Beemer won this test). Still think the ST rocks!
Tested the KTM Adventure R .... WHOW!!

Yamaha Super Ténéré off road modifications: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797977
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:47 AM   #18907
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,267
Quote:
Just read the new Australian motorcycle news where they tested most of the big adv bikes such as GS, GSA, Cross tourer, KTM1190/R, Explorer, Stelvio, ST.
The ST was one of the thirstiest and it had the least powerful engine and was a bit rough and not so smooth and very slow compared to most of the others but pretty good off road, not very good riding but who cares, I`m quite happy with mine. Looking at the 0-100 km/h stats compared to my old DL this ST is slower..... Even the irrelevant quarter mile is about the same as DL650...
But on dirt roads who needs 150 hp?
Ok I just read some of it...My apologies to AMCN. I thought there was a Strom in there

Prices as tested...Here is the BMW trickery again. Price at the top $21, 490. As tested $29,500.
Can you buy a $21,500 GS in this country?. I asked. Special long wait order.

KTM 1190 ADV as tested..$21,100.
KTM 1190 ADV R as tested $22,100
TEX 1200 as tested $22,500
Guzzi Stelvio as tested $20,990
Honda VFR1200X as tested $17,400
S10 as tested $21,600.

I'd be looking at the KTM in that lot for sure..except that 12.5:1 compression ratio makes it a bit iffy.

So can the GS (12.5:1) and the KTM (12.5:1) Honda (12:1) use Opal fuel?

So that leaves TEX, (11.0:1 ) S10 (11:1) Stelvio (11.0:1). I would really want to go and test ride these bikes with E10 regular before I even thought about them.

And one thing the testers got right..

Quote:
The Super Tenere is the masculine chest beater of the group. It's raw loud and brutal.
If it was European it would be said it had the most character.

Any way I'm off to thump my chest and be macho while I wash out some air filters with raw Kerosene..without gloves while smoking..

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 07-11-2013 at 02:58 AM
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:29 AM   #18908
twinrider
pass the catnip

The jacked up VFR1200X sounds like a bargain at that price! Wonder why the S10 is so much more expensive?

It would be interesting to see how a reflashed S10 would fare, but seeing how it's Yamaha that fucked it up, fair enough to test as is.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:51 AM   #18909
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
The jacked up VFR1200X sounds like a bargain at that price! Wonder why the S10 is so much more expensive?

It would be interesting to see how a reflashed S10 would fare, but seeing how it's Yamaha that fucked it up, fair enough to test as is.
In 2010 the S10 was $20K and sold pretty well, the GS was about $26K (feature for feature as close as possible) and the KTM 990 was about $23K and didn't sell well and the Vstrom 1000 at about $14K and didn't sell well.. That was then.

2012, The VFR1200X was introduced at $20K, but didn't sell well. The Versys1000 was introduced at 17K and didnlt sell well the big Tiger was $23K, and hasn't sold that well either.

2013. KTM, have come in under the GS by a good margin, GS WC prices have stayed the same for the unobtainable base model but the "option" packages have risen 10%.

This is Australia. Australians either want to be American or European, especially the older set who grew up thinking "one day I'd like to buy a (brand that was exotic in 1960's and 1970's)".

As usual there is a vast majority that just buy the brand they grew up lusting after regardless of whether that is what they really need or not.

You could get a VFR1200X, ride it straight down to a top notch tuning shop, do the motor, ECU, top notch suspension and god knows what else and still ride away for less than a GS. (except you would just have top notch suspension without all the switches, which looks like it could be a blessing). A bit strange is this world, considering most GS's are found no more than 200km away from the city at coffee shops arrived via sealed roads only on sunny days.

Sounds just like what a VFR1200X would be good for.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:05 AM   #18910
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post

You could get a VFR1200X, ride it straight down to a top notch tuning shop, do the motor, ECU, top notch suspension and god knows what else and still ride away for less than a GS. (except you would just have top notch suspension without all the switches, which looks like it could be a blessing). A bit strange is this world, considering most GS's are found no more than 200km away from the city at coffee shops arrived via sealed roads only on sunny days.

Sounds just like what a VFR1200X would be good for.
A VFR1200X would be an awesome touring weapon, praying upon sport bikes in the twisties, dicing it up with Porsches on super slab. Complete with quick getaways on nicely groomed dirt roads when necessary....
Old 07-11-2013, 06:25 AM   #18911
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaumev View Post
Tested the KTM Adventure R .... WHOW!!
So........ Adventure R or 660 Ténéré?
Old 07-11-2013, 06:29 AM   #18912
Geology Rocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
Both are for me. The strom is a bit unique as its owned by a family member who can no longer ride. They gifted the bike to me.
The "Suicide Disease" - Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. The pain never ends
http://www.rsds.org/2/what_is_rsd_crps/
Geology Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:00 AM   #18913
Ludocrator
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Found Super Tenere a bit more vibey than expected

Not sure if this question belongs to this thread.

After waiting for months, I was finally able to try the S10 at my local dealer (sort of "demo special weekend").

Currently owning a Vstrom, I was expecting a grown-up better version of my bike. But what I found was a vibey machine that really disappointed me.

Ok, the hp was there, nice riding position, and all that. But somehow I was suddenly thinking of my Vstrom as a "smooth ride" in comparison.

I am beginning to lean towards the FJR now (and wait to see what else they make out of the new triple engine (FJR 800?)).
Old 07-11-2013, 07:06 AM   #18914
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludocrator View Post

After waiting for months, I was finally able to try the S10 at my local dealer (sort of "demo special weekend").

Currently owning a Vstrom, I was expecting a grown-up better version of my bike. But what I found was a vibey machine that really disappointed me.

Ok, the hp was there, nice riding position, and all that. But somehow I was suddenly thinking of my Vstrom as a "smooth ride" in comparison.

I am beginning to lean towards the FJR now (and wait to see what else they make out of the new triple engine (FJR 800?)).
A few facts: 1) Many owners find the vibes lessen as the engines rack up mileage. 2) A throttle synch also helps reduce vibration. 3) An ECU reflash also smooths out the engine.

How much mileage was on the test bike?
Old 07-11-2013, 07:14 AM   #18915
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludocrator View Post

It shows how people's perceptions of the same thing can be quite different. A couple of years back, when I still had my VStrom, I also tested a Super Ten, and I thought it felt almost identical to the VStrom ,just with more of everything ( power, space, weight, etc..). I felt very at home on it right away, and even got a chance to get a little bit "off road" with it, and it still seemed that way. I think your mind-set, and any pre-conceptions about a bike before you ride it play a large factor. If you expect certain behaviours ( good or bad ), or traits, you will be looking for them.
It's not easy, but I find it's better to try to forget what you think you know about a bike when you test ride it.

But I agree with you on the new MT-09 motor. Someone has already done a bit of a mock-up of it like a TDM, but I think taking it another step further down the ADV road would be even better. It looks like a motor that is about to spawn a family of bikes.