ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 05:12 PM   #301
nwpa
Generally amused
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Along the Great Lakes
Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by iride4u View Post
While I believe a small number of bike have switch issues, I wonder how many are caused by heavy fisted riders.
I know that I will take flack for this post, but I have been living with the new type of switch for over two years. Yes last year the switches on the GTL started to fail at the end of summer. Both were replaced under warranty with new part numbers.
We here about problems over and over but not about bikes without problems and there are many more of them.
Mine started failing when I used the right turn signal on the highway. The turnsignal starting turning off the cruise. After a week the cruise would not stay on at all. The bike was 13 days old.

I guarantee you the failures are not due to "heavy fisted" riders. You're even talking about failed switches on your bike. Were you heavy fisted?

As for hearing about bikes with problems, read the title of this thread. This isn't the "tell us about the problems you don't have" thread.

We've had one post on a starter failure, one post on a leaking jug, one on a cracked windscreen, a couple on rear brake wear, and a lot on both front end vibration/wobble and left switch failure. These are not rare issues. (I probably missed some reported issues...these are the ones that come to mind).
nwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:12 PM   #302
EJ_92606
Rider
 
EJ_92606's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 1,779
Not any switch problems that I've heard of on the camhead GS, so are we to believe that only K16 and GSW riders are hamfisted?
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:02 PM   #303
iride4u
Gnarly Adventurer
 
iride4u's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Loveland, Colorado
Oddometer: 321
Yes I am saying that some but definitely not most are ham fisted compared to the BMW factory testers.
I am glad that I am writing this as I forgot to turn off my siren after work today. I would have had a dead battery when I tried to go to work tomorrow. So many things to remember with a cop bike that you do not have with a civilian bike.
iride4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:17 PM   #304
EJ_92606
Rider
 
EJ_92606's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by iride4u View Post
Yes I am saying that some but definitely not most are ham fisted compared to the BMW factory testers.
I am glad that I am writing this as I forgot to turn off my siren after work today. I would have had a dead battery when I tried to go to work tomorrow. So many things to remember with a cop bike that you do not have with a civilian bike.
Ya, I think you might piss off a few people if you leave your siren running all night
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:31 AM   #305
NLS
My bike needs washing...
 
NLS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: GREECE!
Oddometer: 3,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by iride4u View Post
While I believe a small number of bike have switch issues, I wonder how many are caused by heavy fisted riders.
I know that I will take flack for this post, but I have been living with the new type of switch for over two years. Yes last year the switches on the GTL started to fail at the end of summer. Both were replaced under warranty with new part numbers.
We here about problems over and over but not about bikes without problems and there are many more of them.
I am a known supporter and easy to "forgive" "minor issues" when they come from Berlin (kind of weird for a Greek these days), but this is definitely an issue.

Esp. for a BMW GS even punching the switches should be ok.
There is no excuse.
__________________
NLS
My Blog
When the going gets tough, the tough get going...
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:31 AM   #306
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer
 
RichBMW's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Surrey, UK
Oddometer: 1,839
The switches on mine have been fine, and I live in a very wet country. The guys with switch issues, are you using pressure washers on your bikes?
__________________
2015 BMW S1000R Sport
2015 BMW R1200GSAW
RichBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:45 AM   #307
Rauven
I like the cold...
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Tønsberg, Norway
Oddometer: 195
Nope. I was washing the bike with fluffy kittens and unicorn tears and still happened.

Now I noticed that after 5000km there are maybe 3mm of rear brakepads left. I went to a dealership to have it fixed under the warranty, they just shrugged. "Its normal with the combined brakes. You just brake to lightly so it uses the rear brake more, you have to ride harder. We didn't have any issues like that but we can sell you a set of pads..." They got me boiling a bit.
Rauven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:47 AM   #308
nwpa
Generally amused
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Along the Great Lakes
Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
The switches on mine have been fine, and I live in a very wet country. The guys with switch issues, are you using pressure washers on your bikes?
No.mine had 700 miles, is garaged, and hadn't had time to even get dusty.
nwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:52 AM   #309
iride4u
Gnarly Adventurer
 
iride4u's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Loveland, Colorado
Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Ya, I think you might piss off a few people if you leave your siren running all night
You have to turn off the siren amp separately from the speaker. It sits quietly drawing the battery so you have a dead battery after 24 hours. Kind of like the guys that leave their radar unit on all the time.
iride4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:10 AM   #310
Crilly
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Wi/Az
Oddometer: 740
I believe the switches can be man handled and then not work. I think the switches should be broken in, just operate the switches gently a hundred times or so. Once broken in they should last for ever. I donot expect any problems with my new switch cluster even though it feels the same know I broke them in.
Crilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:41 AM   #311
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: SW Florida
Oddometer: 1,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crilly View Post
I believe the switches can be man handled and then not work. I think the switches should be broken in, just operate the switches gently a hundred times or so. Once broken in they should last for ever. I donot expect any problems with my new switch cluster even though it feels the same know I broke them in.
Ya gotta be kidding!
Owners manual makes no mention of switch break in period!

It' just another case of BMW missing the boat on what should be a simple design.

Regards, Paul
__________________
"One of the things that make motorcycling so great is because it never fails to give you a feeling of freedom and adventure." - Steve McQueen
Roadscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:18 AM   #312
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer
 
RichBMW's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Surrey, UK
Oddometer: 1,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauven View Post
Nope. I was washing the bike with fluffy kittens and unicorn tears and still happened.

Now I noticed that after 5000km there are maybe 3mm of rear brakepads left. I went to a dealership to have it fixed under the warranty, they just shrugged. "Its normal with the combined brakes. You just brake to lightly so it uses the rear brake more, you have to ride harder. We didn't have any issues like that but we can sell you a set of pads..." They got me boiling a bit.
I had my pads replaced under warranty, as have a few in the UK and the US. Push BMW on this, they will replace FOC.
__________________
2015 BMW S1000R Sport
2015 BMW R1200GSAW
RichBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:57 AM   #313
atg OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Sao Paulo, Brazil
Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crilly View Post
I believe the switches can be man handled and then not work. I think the switches should be broken in, just operate the switches gently a hundred times or so. Once broken in they should last for ever. I donot expect any problems with my new switch cluster even though it feels the same know I broke them in.
Crilly;

I started this post to relate my problem with these switches. Soon after I posted a solution, although temporary, to this problem.

"BREAK IN" or running in can be related toa process where high precision mechanical parts are put to work together at light loads in order to allow a perfect setting among these parts. This is the case with a gears, a piston and cilinder, etc.

The same term is also used in electronics, audio equipment for example, shoes, etc. In these, it seems to be a settling after its use.

The parts that we finger press on the clusters ARE NOT the switches but only levers that press the switches located inside the cluster.

This is the same method of working as on the previous GSs, however, now with a different lever design and similar but smaller sized, inside switches.

What gets stuck are the internal switches, not the levers. These switches, as on the previous model, are quite delicate and work in similar way as a piston running inside a cilinder. It is my belief and experience that the problem is due to a miscalculation on the too large diameter of the "piston" that once it gets slightly twisted due to its unprecise movement it gets stuck inside the cilinder. On these occasions a little lubrification might help as it did in my case.

Eventhough there is, theoretically, a chance that the more the switch is used the more it will wear and the better it will settle in ( what I presume you called breaking in ) the undisiputable fact is that there desigh is at flaw as the necessary gaps were not calculated in their project.

Mechanical running in is a process intended to provide a perfect settlement between hghly precise mechanical parts in a such a way that the best adjustment possible is achieved while maintaining the smallest gap between the running in parts. Obviously, this is not the reasoning behind an electrical switch !

Andre

atg screwed with this post 07-11-2013 at 11:02 AM
atg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:25 AM   #314
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles
 
tallguy-09's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Vancouver
Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crilly View Post
I believe the switches can be man handled and then not work. I think the switches should be broken in, just operate the switches gently a hundred times or so. Once broken in they should last for ever. I donot expect any problems with my new switch cluster even though it feels the same know I broke them in.
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:01 PM   #315
Crilly
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Wi/Az
Oddometer: 740
The button switches inside have two little plastic tits that hold the buttons in place when assembled. If they brake off when pushed to fast they cause the buttons to stick down. If they get rounded off when (breaking in) being used they are less likely to stick. And yes it is a SHITTY design. That's my story and I am sticking to it.
Crilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014