Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2013, 08:10 AM   #16
Gillus
High Desert Rat

Oddometer: 689
The dealer in ABQ will reset it for $25 or so bucks, ask your dealer.

I bought a GS911 as it will park the idle stepper for tb sync and reset it etc. I have friends with BMWs to amortize the cost plus up can sell it when your done with it or get rid of the bike. It only takes a couple DIY services to pay for it.
Gillus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:20 AM   #17
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillus View Post
The dealer in ABQ will reset it for $25 or so bucks, ask your dealer.

I bought a GS911 as it will park the idle stepper for tb sync and reset it etc. I have friends with BMWs to amortize the cost plus up can sell it when your done with it or get rid of the bike. It only takes a couple DIY services to pay for it.
Of course you know to also check/clear fault codes and calibrate the stepper motors for services as well.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:17 AM   #18
aGremlin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodabs View Post
I just don't like the idea of being forced to toe the line. What BMW is implying is that we're not competent enough to service our own equipment.
Implying? Have you looked inside the provided toolkit? I swear, if the bike didn't use oil, they could get away with not giving you a toolkit. 7 tools from memory. I get more tools with a bike the fraction of the price!

That said... just have a look at the internet classic threads like, I was installing a hugger, my mate drilled through the ECU and the bike won't start. Is this bad?

Yeah... a lot of people shouldn't be doing much more than filling with gas
Old 07-10-2013, 02:55 AM   #19
billdonna
Ex Coelis

Oddometer: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
True, as a paid technician you would definitely be required to do these. A home backyard service doesn't hold the same standard.
Jim

That my learned friend, is where our attitudes to service differ. Many of us who wrench at home had/have technical careers and take a measure of pride in the fact that we are as competant and thorough in our work, as a dealer, as is possible.

"Be the best you can be", not "Do the minuimum required", is the motto of the rider who truly cares about his bike.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:30 AM   #20
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdonna View Post
That my learned friend, is where our attitudes to service differ. Many of us who wrench at home had/have technical careers and take a measure of pride in the fact that we are as competant and thorough in our work, as a dealer, as is possible.
You misunderstand. I am not saying that a backyard tech is, or should, cut corners. I am saying that resetting the service reminder and calibration of the stepper motors will not effect warranty or cause any damage to the bike. IMHO an individual working on his bike does a better job than many factory techs in a dealership, so no reduction in quality.

As for the only other issue, locking the stepper motors, I am not at all convinced that it does the slightest bit of good in relation to the throttle body sync.

Quote:
"Be the best you can be", not "Do the minuimum required", is the motto of the rider who truly cares about his bike.
I'll assume you did not mean to insinuate that I do, or advocate, anything other than as precise a job on service as possible! These are NOT my words!

Jim
Old 07-10-2013, 07:50 PM   #21
JMitch
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodabs View Post
I just don't like the idea of being forced to toe the line. What BMW is implying is that we're not competent enough to service our own equipment.
How do I not know if the dealer is using the lot boy to change my oil, hell I would if I ran the place. Charge 150 bucks a hour and pay minimum wage.
I stated changing motorcycle's oil in a dealership when I was 12 years old, I sure wouldn't trust anyone!
If your dealership uses a lot boy to change your oil I would find a new one.

That being said, the GS911 is a great tool for us "at-homers" and if you don't mind the service reminder you are less OCD than most wrenchers. To each their own..

BMW does not think you can't change your own oil, they may however be trying to push business to the folks that sell their product though... Business 101
JMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:42 PM   #22
billdonna
Ex Coelis

Oddometer: 910
Quote:
A home backyard service doesn't hold the same standard,
Quote:

I'll assume you did not mean to insinuate that I do, or advocate, anything other than as precise a job on service as possible! These are NOT my words!

Jim
Jim, you've more than earned the benefit of the doubt here and I rely on your insight, but these are your words, not mine.

A precise job and an incomplete job are two different animals brother. You can set the valves to within a half thou, that's precise, but not resetting the service reminders/dates, not resetting the steppers and not checking for faults to head off future troubles is an incomplete job IMHO.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:13 AM   #23
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,138
Quote:
A precise job and an incomplete job are two different animals brother. You can set the valves to within a half thou, that's precise, but not resetting the service reminders/dates, not resetting the steppers and not checking for faults to head off future troubles is an incomplete job IMHO.
In well over 250k miles on my GS's, I have never done any of the above 3.
Am I and all the friends who bought my old bikes really that lucky to have dodged this about to hit disaster?

I should add that I've had several shops reset the service reminders for free as I passed by on a trip.

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:25 AM   #24
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Jim, you've more than earned the benefit of the doubt here and I rely on your insight, but these are your words, not mine.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one.

I don't believe a GS911 is necessary to complete a service safely and effectively. It is that simple for me.

Jim
Old 07-11-2013, 08:21 AM   #25
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,310
Ipad $500

Car thieves have a device that opens any car door.

BMW cars vulnerable to theft.

With all the computer geeks out there someone should be able to build a device that plugs into the any motorcycle and does what we want at a low price.

The engine is still an air pump with computer controlled timing and fuel injection.

I once wanted to buy a Ducati that was repoed. No keys. $4000 to $5000 to buy a new computer to run the bike. They don't sell keys without some red card.

2 cents
Old 07-11-2013, 10:27 AM   #26
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooteraug02 View Post
Ipad $500

Car thieves have a device that opens any car door.

BMW cars vulnerable to theft.

With all the computer geeks out there someone should be able to build a device that plugs into the any motorcycle and does what we want at a low price.

The engine is still an air pump with computer controlled timing and fuel injection.

I once wanted to buy a Ducati that was repoed. No keys. $4000 to $5000 to buy a new computer to run the bike. They don't sell keys without some red card.

2 cents
Um, ok!

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #27
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty hill View Post
Um, ok!
Yeah, random thought, number, rambling on about something else, car stuff, unrelated thought, conclusion!
SourKraut is offline   Reply With Quote