Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2013, 02:01 PM   #46
McCormack
eltiT resU motsuC

Oddometer: 7,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu View Post
De gustibus non disputandum est.

I will say this, I can't even take my 67 Bronco to the grocery store without getting at least one thumbs up, and I think that's cool.
I get that with my brand new BRZ!

1965 is far cooler, though.
McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:35 PM   #47
azcycle
Chihuahua Wrangler

Oddometer: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu View Post
I will say this, I can't even take my 67 Bronco to the grocery store without getting at least one thumbs up, and I think that's cool.
I would LOVE a 1st Generation Bronco.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #48
TEXASYETI OP
Call me "thread killer!"

Oddometer: 1,894
Okay, I'm back and the car is in the drive way. Left out at 9am from Taos from Fort Worth and got in at 11pm. Pulling a uhaul car trailer behind my 97 land cruiser made for a little bit of a slow ride but she did great.

Checked out the car at his mechanics shops and put it on the lift. Only rust was behind passenger rear wheel and drivers door at the drain hole. Other than that she was very clean.

Originally was white with teal interior but they had a full resto done in 1985 changing the color to red with parchment interior.

289 2v started and ran well, good power and everything seemed in working order. Engine was refreshed in 1985 and has 60k on it. Some leaks that will need to be addressed. No smoke out the back end.

drove, steered, and stopped with no problems.

Got him down a little and loaded her up. Gotta wait to get her tagged so we only did a few laps of the neighborhood. Everyone is right, this is not a 2013 shelby or even a v6 stang but it is fun and has character. I feel very engaged driving it and it is just f'n cool as shit!

Pics tomorrow. I promise!

1981 R80G/S
1991 R100 GSPD

FIRST TIME RIFF RAFF - Go Jonah!
TEXASYETI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:58 PM   #49
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,354
One thing to keep in mind if you get a little crazy with it is that with the steering linkage behind the axle, as you load up the suspension in a corner the control arm bushings will compress, causing greater steering input (because the steering linkage won't compress), so you'll back off the steering to hold your line, which will unload the bushings and open your line. You'll be sawing the wheel back and forth to hold a line on a long sweeper unless you upgrade to firmer bushings.

If you spend all your time putting around at 25 mph on city streets, no problem.

Have fun!
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:59 PM   #50
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXASYETI View Post
Okay, I'm back and the car is in the drive way. Left out at 9am from Taos from Fort Worth and got in at 11pm.
I read this part and thought you drove the car home. That would have been ballsy.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:30 PM   #51
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,515
Good luck with it, lets see some pics!

Should be a fun cruiser. At the very least the depreciation is over and you can always get a 2014 in 2057!
Navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:30 AM   #52
ddavidv
Thrifty not cheap

Oddometer: 1,112
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by discochris View Post
I wanted a first gen Mustang forever. It was my mom's favorite car, and she never got to have one. A good friend of mine had a blue 65 coupe with the 200 - an average restoration. I told him if he ever sold it that I wanted first crack at it. When he moved to Europe, I was in the midst of restoring my 66 F100 pickup, so it was not to be. That said, I don't think I'd have bought it (despite that he sold it for FAR too little). Here's why.

It's an old car. It feels old and drives old, much like my F100. As beautiful as they are, I think once the novelty had worn off, I would not have enjoyed it as much as I thought (same held true for a VW Bug convertible we had for a few years.). It's my opinion that there was a turning point with cars between 1965 and 1970, where cars felt far more modern. It's just a theory, but I also have a friend who had a pristine 1970 Impala as a daily driver in the mid 90's. The car looked showroom new - just beautiful (despite not being worth much as a collectible at the time). It was a base model 350 with a 3 on the tree, but overall, it felt far more modern in and out, and more solid overall than the Mustang of five years before.

If I were looking for a vintage Mustang, I'd be looking at a 69 or 70. More refined than the first few years, but before they got horribly bloated too.
I hope the OP posts in here with some regularity with his thoughts. It would be interesting to read if the 'newness' wears off much over time.

I'm going through the same debate right now. I just sold a vintage car, and have some cash to blow on another toy. As much as I like early Mustangs, they are a little too common, and non-rusty ones around here cost quite a bit. I've been leaning towards a Falcon instead (same basic car).

But...the 2005-2009 Mustang beckons. It has the exact look I like but without the rust, oil leaks, cowl leaks, creaky suspension and vague steering. Given the two side by side, I know which one I'd drive more. I do like vintage cars (my truck is a '65 F100) but I have to confess, there are days I wish I had a newer Super Duty with automatic and a/c.

Price for new and old are getting to be about the same. One depreciates, one won't. I'm totally on the fence right now.

KLR Chronicles, list of my Ride Reports in PA/MD:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post18782262
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:10 AM   #53
mefly2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,231
Vintage Mustang ...YES
Any Shelby Mustang ...YES
Newer Corvette ...YES ... am I a gearhead ...YES...
ADV bike ...Oh, yah !!!
Touratech: Upper Crash Bars, big foot, pannier rack, ZegaPro panniers;
Fuzeblock, Rigid Dually D2 + yellow covers; Wunderlich bar risers w/ Q-adjust
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:20 AM   #54
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavidv View Post
But...the 2005-2009 Mustang beckons. It has the exact look I like but without the rust, oil leaks, cowl leaks, creaky suspension and vague steering. Given the two side by side, I know which one I'd drive more.
My friend Adam had a 2005 or 6 GT and I have a 95 Cobra. We take them on drives over Lost Trail Pass which is a marvelously curvy road with no police within miles and really let them run. Well the newer GT of his is light years ahead of my 95 in handling and even with my supercharged engine is close in power. And more quiet, comfy, all that.

My 95 is light years ahead of the 65 of course too. So, the older you get, the more you do of course put up with for the panache of the classic look. As much as I do like my Cobra, one day it will go down the road for a newer one. Adam got an '11 GT with the Coyote engine and the Brembo brake package after this was taken, and it was a miracle, so fast and stopped like a formula 1 car. If I had one of those I'd drive it all the time.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:56 AM   #55
azcycle
Chihuahua Wrangler

Congrats on the "new" purchase. Yes, pics, pleeze.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:44 PM   #56
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,211
Ive never been a muscle car guy.
My grandfather was a race car driver so most of my childhood was spent around MG's, Jaguars and lots of smaller European cars that were designed to handle well with small engines.
I've always felt that many muscle cars are simply awkward and purposeless but MAN..... the 65 66 67 Fastback does something to me. It raises the hair on the back of my neck, it makes my blood boil - especially watching one coast through Turn 4 at Laguna Seca at 100 mph.....

oh lawdy!

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:40 PM   #57
TEXASYETI OP
Call me "thread killer!"

Oddometer: 1,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
I've always felt that many muscle cars are simply awkward and purposeless but MAN..... the 65 66 67 Fastback does something to me. It raises the hair on the back of my neck, it makes my blood boil - especially watching one coast through Turn 4 at Laguna Seca at 100 mph.....

Guy down the street from me had one. He was a little older - 18 to my 16 - and I loved that car. He never took care of it, beat on it, and just let it go. I tried to buy it but couldn't scrounge the cash. That was 1985(?)....maybe 1986.

Fast forward almost 30 years and I now have the resources and the know-how to afford one of these cars and work on em. Don't get me wrong, I'm no pro with a wrench but I did a mechanical resto on an 85 Land Cruiser that helped me find my way around a tool box and I can almost - and I mean ALMOST - do it right the first time.

So, she may not be the prettiest thing on the road but she is straight, I have a good bit of documentation, and she actually runs and drives. Maybe a better deal would have come along but I have seen few (mostly) rust free, one-owner, orig. engine cars come along even at this price. Bottom line, I like it and am already having a blast!

One of the finest ass ends I have ever seen on a car:

Resto was done in 1986 and that is when they changed the color scheme from white with teal interior to red with parchment. I love the idea of white and teal. Especially with some tasteful performance mods. That will not be happening anytime soon though.

Rear seat is folded up. I love all the room in this thing!

Body lines are really tight for being 47 years old:

289 2-barrel:

got some leaks to deal with. Probably just going to do a physical on the engine and then, depending on the health, pull it and do a reseal and replace or look to a rebuild.

Good times!!!!

1981 R80G/S
1991 R100 GSPD

FIRST TIME RIFF RAFF - Go Jonah!
TEXASYETI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:11 PM   #58
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Oddometer: 6,020
Mine had leaks there when I first got it. Tho original owner didn't see the need for antifreeze in southern California and Hawaii, so he kept regular ol' tap water in the cooling system. It never froze, but the straight water did a number on the cooling system, corroding the shit out of everything. The electrolysis of the dissimilar metals ate the water passages in the aluminum timing cover away to nearly nothing, which is where my leaks were coming from.

When I got out of the Marines, I drove the car home to Georgia, and all the flakes of rust in the block and heads came loose and clogged the radiator twice. That made for a fun road trip on 108˚ days in Kansas in mid-June.

Even after rebuilding the engine, I ran a Gano radiator filter for a number of years to catch any flakes of rust that were inadvertently left behind...

http://www.ganofilters.com/

Ah, old cars...
XR400 Index

Stretch67 screwed with this post 07-11-2013 at 03:17 PM
Stretch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:12 PM   #59
azcycle
Chihuahua Wrangler

Beautiful! Looks like yours rusted exactly where mine did: behind the passenger rear tire. I'd also look under the battery. Years of battery acid rusts away and below the battery try is a rather flat spot. Mine leaks oil in that exact spot on the engine, too. I've never bothered to fix it (yet) and just dab it up with a paper towel occasionally.

It's a beautiful car. Do what you will and be happy with it. But IMO, I love the idea of going back white/teal.

Half the people I meet say "you should paint it red!" If you look in that photo I posted earlier of mine at a local show, look around my Honey Gold and see how many were painted red. All of them.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:14 PM   #60
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,773
It sounds like your goal is to keep it stock? If so, you have a nice complete car there. The 65-66 fastbacks are my favorite Mustangs. A friend of mine had a '66 with 4 speed in high school that he and his dad built. It looked completely stock, but had a 302 boss with about 400 hp.

Quote:
Originally posted by eatpasta
the 65 66 67 Fastback does something to me. It raises the hair on the back of my neck, it makes my blood boil - especially watching one coast through Turn 4 at Laguna Seca at 100 mph.....
I know what you mean. I saw them at Sears Point. There is nothing like watching a gifted driver throw one of those into a 4 wheel slide at 100 mph, in complete control. Yup, just thinking about it the hairs on my neck are standing up.

If the OP wants to Resto Mod the car, it isn't that expensive compared to buying new. My 68 Camaro is quicker, has more top speed, and cost less than a new Camaro SS to build. Granted, it won't link to my iPhone, but I can work on it myself.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: