User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2013, 03:27 PM   #1
Velociraptor OP
TrackBum

Oddometer: 994
BMW Parts support?

Just found out the replacement immobilizer for my KMT 990 SMR will not arrive until September. It had already been in the shop for a month. Maddening that the bike is perfectly fine but will not start due to an anti-theft part failure! The 990 SMR is a great bike but I am not going to accept such parts delays, so plan to sell it or trade it on another brand. Considering the new GS-1200. I have read about some of the issues with the new GS, but it seems like BMW has decent parts support. Is this true, or by going from KTM to BMW am I jumping out of the frying pan into the fire? How many have had their BMW stuck at the dealer for months due to parts shortages?
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:02 PM   #2
transplant
not OEM

Oddometer: 229
Personally, I've had to wait for parts from BMW, but never more than a week or two. It seems that if it's on the fiche, you can get the part. It comes at a price but being able to reliably get replacement parts for even 10+ year old bikes is part of the BMW premium.

... cue the horror stories ...
transplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:05 PM   #3
iride4u
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
Just found out the replacement immobilizer for my KMT 990 SMR will not arrive until September. It had already been in the shop for a month. Maddening that the bike is perfectly fine but will not start due to an anti-theft part failure! The 990 SMR is a great bike but I am not going to accept such parts delays, so plan to sell it or trade it on another brand. Considering the new GS-1200. I have read about some of the issues with the new GS, but it seems like BMW has decent parts support. Is this true, or by going from KTM to BMW am I jumping out of the frying pan into the fire? How many have had their BMW stuck at the dealer for months due to parts shortages?
I have had great support from my dealer. The new GS LC is the 4th bike that I have bought from Northern Colorado Euro. Due to there good service I have not even bothered to shop around when it comes to buying a new bike.
When BMW is out of a part in the states they ship direct from Germany.
iride4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:09 PM   #4
nwpa
Generally amused

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by iride4u View Post
I have had great support from my dealer. The new GS LC is the 4th bike that I have bought from Northern Colorado Euro. Due to there good service I have not even bothered to shop around when it comes to buying a new bike.
When BMW is out of a part in the states they ship direct from Germany.
Two weeks for a replacement windscreen, two months for a switch for my GSW. Its new and so can't be considered "the norm", but so far that's the perspective I have on replacement parts.
nwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #5
gsweave
Yinz, blinkers are on.

Oddometer: 11,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post

Never waited more than two days for my parts.

7 BMWs from 81 airhead on. Twenty years of BM ownership, won't sell any cause I know too many people who wish to rebuy one that they sold.

Max BMW.com is your source. http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/PartsFiche.aspx

If it ain't in the USA it usually can be had in a week or two.

I don't bother my local dealership...they can't fix shit, but know how to charge out the ass without doing the requested work
sorry bout your KTM experiance

gsweave screwed with this post 07-10-2013 at 04:21 PM
gsweave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:02 AM   #6
aGremlin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Down here in this little corner of the world called paradise, often required parts are ordered in from Europe. Always about 2 weeks (sometimes less).

The biggest issue is... is the part functional when it arrives? First replacement headlight arrived pre-broken (in the exact same way). BMW switchblock for extra lights, it took 4 switches to get 2 that were functional. That said, I've tested the ordering system quite extensively, and other than the above, it's been Ok.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:44 AM   #7
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,880
BMW part support is very good, even for bikes that are decades old.

There is a lag with brand new models like the LC GS, because either some unanticipated problem shows up that makes a lot of people order the same part unexpectedly, or because they miscalculate how often something will be bought, like the new saddlebags. However, once the initial batch of a new model have been out for a while, the parts catalogue catches up, and there is no issue.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:41 AM   #8
Poway
SHED (Shit Head)

Oddometer: 448
BMW parts-outstanding!
Never an issue with my soon to be, 16 year old bike- 98 r1100GS.
Poway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:44 AM   #9
Mugwest

Oddometer: 5,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant View Post
It comes at a price but being able to reliably get replacement parts for even 10+ 30+ year old bikes is part of the BMW premium.

Fixed up, there
Old 07-11-2013, 10:04 AM   #10
jdub
Dawg bytes reel gud

Oddometer: 1,637
Knock on wood, never yet had to wait on a BMW part spanning 6 bikes/30 years/420k miles on them.

Hopefully I'll do better than the OP with any parts needed for my new-to-me KTM.
jdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:23 AM   #11
bajaburro
Ancient Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,548
no problem

no problem on getting new parts.bmw loves to sell parts.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #12
BMW JEEP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Good experience with my local BMW dealer

I've gotten anything I've needed from my local BMW dealer (A&S in Sacramento).
If they don't have it in stock, they usually get it delivered to me from one of several stateside suppliers.
If it's not in country (like an '01 R1150 GS Cylinder Head once), they can get it from the BMW mothership in Germany within about 2 weeks.
It's either out there somewhere, or it can be had direct from BMW Motorrad, and they'll find it for you.

I would highly recommend A&S Powersports for parts to anyone regardless of where your located (stateside, if not elsewhere). If they don't have it, they'll get it. Including most aftermarket accessories. The nice thing is if they need to get something (like Horning) from Europe, you don't pay for any overseas shipping, other than from A&S.

Curt

“Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.” ― John Lennon
BMW JEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #13
iride4u
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
The kind of service that you get depends on the dealer. Good dealers good service. Bad dealer need I say more.
iride4u is offline   Reply With Quote