ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 12:52 PM   #31
GREY.HOUND
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Hey, I was just thinking. Isn't the ride down California Hwy 1 from Monterey to San Luis Obispo supposed to be one of those "every biker should ride it" routes.

In which case, you could take I-5 or Hwy 99 to rte152/156. Then catch Hwy 1 in Monterey. 152 is a nice road IMO, two lane divided highway in both directions.

GH
Old 04-01-2013, 01:05 PM   #32
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREY.HOUND View Post
Hey, I was just thinking. Isn't the ride down California Hwy 1 from Monterey to San Luis Obispo supposed to be one of those "every biker should ride it" routes.

In which case, you could take I-5 or Hwy 99 to rte152/156. Then catch Hwy 1 in Monterey. 152 is a nice road IMO, two lane divided highway in both directions.
The original poster wanted to see farms. Although Highway 1 from Monterey to Cambria (boring from there to SLO), is one of the most scenic roads in the country and not to be missed, there are approximately zero farms there.

That's why he rejected Highway 49 as a great route as well.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:39 PM   #33
bdx OP
Wheeeee!

Oddometer: 167
Hi all,

I'm back (OP here) It looks like my tentative departure date is July 20. I have taken all of your input and come up with an idea. I kinda like the idea of picking a highway and sticking with it come hell or high water. Tell me what you think about this route. Hwy 50 to Sac, I-5 south to Tracy where I will pick up 33 and then wind 33 south all the way to Ventura, where I'll pick up the PCH and ride it to San Diego (which roughly translates to "Whale's Vagina")

BTW: I just now saw many of the later posts. Evidently subscriptions to threads have a time limit. I did not get notified of like the last 10 posts. So, Sorry for not responding.

Somebody's gonna have to go back and get a shitload of dimes.
bdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:47 PM   #34
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdx View Post
Hi all,

I'm back (OP here) It looks like my tentative departure date is July 20. I have taken all of your input and come up with an idea. I kinda like the idea of picking a highway and sticking with it come hell or high water. Tell me what you think about this route. Hwy 50 to Sac, I-5 south to Tracy where I will pick up 33 and then wind 33 south all the way to Ventura, where I'll pick up the PCH and ride it to San Diego
I like the Highway 33 part.

Unless you love riding on multi-lane freeways, at least consider getting off of Highway 50 in Folsom, take Prairie City south to White Rock, which becomes Grant Line Road, then take that to Highway 99. Cut over to I-5 at Stockton on Highway 4.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:14 PM   #35
stu_tfl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Try This or this

Quote:
Hi all,

I'm back (OP here) It looks like my tentative departure date is July 20. I have taken all of your input and come up with an idea. I kinda like the idea of picking a highway and sticking with it come hell or high water. Tell me what you think about this route. Hwy 50 to Sac, I-5 south to Tracy where I will pick up 33 and then wind 33 south all the way to Ventura, where I'll pick up the PCH and ride it to San Diego (which roughly translates to "Whale's Vagina")

BTW: I just now saw many of the later posts. Evidently subscriptions to threads have a time limit. I did not get notified of like the last 10 posts. So, Sorry for not responding.

Jasper Carrott - 1975
stu_tfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:38 PM   #36
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu_tfl View Post
Try This or this
You apparently missed the earlier discussion where he wanted to see FARM LAND. We already had that discussion once about all the wonderful roads through the mountains.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:40 AM   #37
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,819
Quote:
Hi all,

That is a much better route for farm land. Highway 99 between Sacramento and Merced is mostly city. Taking Hwy 33 keeps you out in the country in farmland. There is a lot of peach groves west of Modesto, and the area is criss crossed with the canals itsatdm mentioned.

If you find yourself with more time, heading east or west off your route will take you to different types of crops. They grow artichokes and garlic near Hollister, Salinas, and Monterey. They grow oranges east of Fresno in...Orange Cove...go figure.

As you come down off the Sierra into California, there is a good lunch spot called Old Town Grill in Placerville. They have great blue cheese burgers, and blue cheese criss cut fries. They close at 3pm, and Tuesdays.

On the south end of Hwy 33 in Ojai, I have heard they have a lot of beers on tap at the Ojai Beverage Company. The Stone Brewing Company is another good stop in Escondido.

If you find yourself short on time, you can save some time by sticking to the east side of the L.A. Basin, along Hwy 15 possibly.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:59 AM   #38
MrEndo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
101 south of Salinas has some agg. Ive ridden 99 south through Bakersfield a couple times recently and it actually moved along pretty good. Not like the old days. There is construction going on which didn't delay me much. The delta region along hwy 160 takes u through farmlands. If at all possible, 395 south through Bishop and beyond is in my opinion breathtaking.
2006 950 Adv S/2002 640 Adv/1970 Yamaha RT1
MrEndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:15 AM   #39
BSchu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
I can offer some tent space in the big trees of my yard if your on the EAST side of the sierra. Mammoth to be specific. Charge up electric devices and water up. Just PM me if this works out for you. Have a great ride and be safe, and don't forget to split some lanes while out here!
Old 06-29-2013, 07:47 AM   #40
yobuddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Whether you go down 5, 33, or 99 I would cut over on 152 to hwy 101 and go south through some great farming areas in the salinas valley. This route is recommended if you are stii hell bent on riding through farmland.
Just my .02
yobuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:23 PM   #41
bdx OP
Wheeeee!

Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchu View Post
I can offer some tent space in the big trees of my yard if your on the EAST side of the sierra. Mammoth to be specific. Charge up electric devices and water up. Just PM me if this works out for you. Have a great ride and be safe, and don't forget to split some lanes while out here!
Thanks for the offer. I will let you know when I'm a little closer. Splitting lanes just scares the crap out of me, to be honest. It is something that goes against all my personal safety rules. #1 of which, is NEVER TRY TO PUT YOUR BIKE SOMEWHERE YOU WOULDN'T PUT A CAR. That is of course MY rule and it is meant for street riding. The way I figure it is, if a car will fit somewhere, cage drivers will expect someone to fill that spot. If a car won't fit, cagers don't expect ANYTHING to be in there. But in order to fulfill the California Experience - I will lane split if I get the chance. ONCE!!

This will be my first time to Cali on a bike. If you guys ever get tired of breathtaking scenic vistas, temperate year-round riding weather and going up and down hills and mountains. Come out to Kansas sometime and ride our 40mph crosswinds, have a cow crap out the side of a cattle truck as you meet at a combined speed of 150mph, smell the aromatic hog and cattle operations, take a 4 inch long grasshopper to the chest at 75mph, and experience hurricane strength winds, hail, freezing temps and triple digit temps all in one two hour ride. CALI BOUND!!!

Somebody's gonna have to go back and get a shitload of dimes.
bdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:15 AM   #42
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,819
Quote:
Splitting lanes just scares the crap out of me, to be honest. It is something that goes against all my personal safety rules. #1 of which, is NEVER TRY TO PUT YOUR BIKE SOMEWHERE YOU WOULDN'T PUT A CAR. That is of course MY rule and it is meant for street riding. The way I figure it is, if a car will fit somewhere, cage drivers will expect someone to fill that spot. If a car won't fit, cagers don't expect ANYTHING to be in there. But in order to fulfill the California Experience - I will lane split if I get the chance. ONCE!!
Your reluctance to lane split is not unreasonable. Although legal, many cage drivers get offended.

The most dangerous place to do it is while moving on freeways, due to abrupt lane changers. If you have never done it, you should play it safe and avoid doing that.

The best way to try it is at fresh red lights with two lanes. With about 4 cars in each lane, and plenty of space between them, you can move to the front of the line. Most traffic lights give the green to the turn lane before the straight lanes (confirm by watching the cross traffic patterns). This way you can be ready to jump out ahead when given the green. You don't want to be sitting there as both lanes pull away.

The other day, I had a car try to race me off the line when I did this, which could be dangerous if both lanes did that. I got out ahead pretty easily, but that could be interpreted as a "speed contest" by law enforcement, which can result in the confiscation of your vehicle in California.

As you can see, lane splitting involves plenty of risk.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:42 PM   #43
Rockcat
LDA

Oddometer: 379
If your plans change and you head to the Coast, Highway 1 from Half Moon Bay to Santa Cruz has some beautiful farms and a great little farm town, Pescadero. A good buddy of mine farms Strawberries in Watsonville where the farms picks up after Santa Cruz. Lots of farms from Salinas on South. I like Jolan Road outside of King City since I hate 101.

My brother always called me a wuss for not lane splitting. I'm not much of a road rider...

Whatever, you should have a great time.
Rockcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:46 PM   #44
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,624
There is probably NO WAY you can ride PCH from Ventura to San Diego.

You will have to get on and off the freeway many times. From Lomita through Long Beach PCH is 17th street, 17 blocks from the ocean right through the heart of cities.

Your're going to need some help with your route from Ventura.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote