Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #1
justinmlowe OP
Smokin' 'n 2-Strokin

Oddometer: 8
iABS issue '04 1150GS. Advice greatly appreciated.

Here's the story. I recently bought a 2004 1150GS. Last night I removed the J&M CB/intercom that the previous owner installed. After removing the unit I noticed a change when I turned the key in the ignition. The ABS light flashes fast for a second, then slow and I hear the ABS relay clicking with each flash. (I thought the ABS and gen warning light illuminated together before, I could be wrong) I don't recall hearing that before. When I drive away the ABS light goes off but I don't hear the clunk-clunk like I would before. A test of the brakes seemed to reveal that I do not have ABS in the front. The back does have ABS but it is loud and clunky. I have attached a video. Any advice would be great. Thank you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKQJ-...ature=youtu.be
justinmlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:31 PM   #2
jsb223
ADV Rookie

Oddometer: 1,150
BMW 1100/1150 ABS system checks

iABS fault codes

These should be listed on a sticker supplied with the bike.
Gen OFF, ABS ON = Only residual braking in both circuits.
Gen OFF, ABS flashes at 1Hz = ABS not available. Pull-away test not completed.
Gen OFF, ABS flashes at 4Hz = Only residual braking function available in both circuits.
Gen ON, ABS off = rear light/brake light defective.
Gen ON, ABS flashes at 1 Hz = At least one brake circuit without ABS.
Gen ON, ABS flashes at 4Hz =At least one brake circuit in residual braking function mode.
Gen AND ABS flashing alternately at 1Hz = Fluid level in Intergral ABS too low.Low-voltage

Try and ABS reset according to the procedure in your owner’s manual.

Full and fresh brake fluid is a given, do not skimp here. Do the maintenance or have it
done at least as often as recommended by BMW.

Front and rear micro switch test. They should click loud enough to hear them engage
but this by no means is an indication of proper operation. Check for proper switch operation with a DMM.

Get a DMM “digital multi-meter” and learn how to use it.

Both front and rear switches as NC (normally closed) the opposite of typical motorcycle
brake light switches. Therefore is they are engaged at start up, an ABS error occurs
because of an open circuit in the system.

Make sure the handguard is not touching the front brake lever.

Make sure the metal tab on the rear brake switch is making proper contact with the rear pedal assembly.

Check your front and rear brake switched again as MOST PROBLEMS ARE SWITCH RELATED!

Test rear brake light bulb. If you are having problems and have an aftermarket brake light installed,
put the stock bulb back in a test. Test the tail light element and the brake light element of the bulb.

Check ABS sensor gaps and the “spoke rings” they use to sense wheel speed.

Dirty sensors, sensor gap too large, debris, dirt, missing or damaged “ring” spokes
can all add up to an ABS fault condition. ABS sensor gap 0.45...0.55 mm (0.018 ... 0.022 in) (front and rear).

Battery condition, the bike starts fine, what’s the problem. If the battery voltage drops too much while
starting it starts throwing ABS error codes from the get go.

Pad condition. Although this has been argued back and forth, if the pads on either end of the
bike are near the end of their service life, replace them. At least one person has claimed
this fixed his ABS problem. More likely the movement of brake fluid through the system
after the pad change fixed the problem but I digress.

Try taking off both battery cables and touching them to each other.

If all else fails, disconnect the battery and let sit for 30 minutes, reconnect battery and give it a try.
jsb223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:57 AM   #3
justinmlowe OP
Smokin' 'n 2-Strokin

iABS initial flash pattern

Anyone know why upon startup I only have the ABS light flashing and not both the ABS and GEN light flashing together. (See video link in post #1)'03-'04 GS owners, what flash pattern are you getting when key is turned in the ignition? I'm questioning my memory now, but I seem to remember both lights flashing together until system initializes (3mph).

If my memory serves me well, any idea what caused the changed. Also, when your ABS light flashes can you guys hear your ABS relay clicking with each flash? Is that normal?

Thank you.

justinmlowe screwed with this post 07-11-2013 at 09:35 AM
Old 07-11-2013, 04:20 PM   #4
HTSRocker
Absurd

Oddometer: 2,322
That light sequence looks normal to me. Now what happens after you start the engine and pull out after a few yards?
Old 07-11-2013, 05:51 PM   #5
BluByU
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
Charge battery, or replace battery and recheck
BluByU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:33 PM   #6
XPatriot
Charges have been dropped

Oddometer: 1,076
My trouble-shoot sense makes me think something happened when you removed the CB/Intercom. Check anything you reconnected after taking it out - often the ABS warnings start with low voltage. Most would point to a battery going low, but if it happened immediately after some kind of electrical work, you might have a dodgy connection that is causing lower voltage.

There comes a time when the jewels cease to sparkle, the gold loses it's luster, and the throne room becomes a prison. And all that is left is a father's love for his child.
XPatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:08 PM   #7
justinmlowe OP
Smokin' 'n 2-Strokin

Thanks for the input fellas. I rode a hundred miles tonight and all seems well. I think I was just being paranoid or over analyzing things. This is my first bike with modern technology.