Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2013, 08:01 PM   #856
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woundflatout View Post
Gregor,

This is by far the most insane thread ever. I would have to say it surpasses my complete inability to keep a bike for more than 6 months type insanity. Keep it up!

Jason
Ha! Thanks man.

It's basically your 6 month m.o. but I've kept the bike and continued to put time, money and energy into it. And money, did I mention that? I think I'm approaching what could have been my third 990 with this latest silliness. If I didn't love this bike so much it wouldn't have stayed in the garage so long.

You'll get to ride her this summer I hope.

Gregor
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:38 PM   #857
Woundflatout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 426
My 6 month M.O. Sickness is getting worse. I am searching for a 990 that I can afford.

I've only had the XR for 3 months.
Rallymoto #159
Woundflatout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:37 PM   #858
Michel77
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Long time no see!

Hey Gregor,

I just finished reading through this - crazy stuff, the good kind! We "met" on the Duc-forum when I was building my Hyper-Strada. Now that my house reno is about done and I too sold most everything on two wheels, I am slowly looking for another bike/build and I'm leaning towards the 950 Adventure as well

Love what you're doing, admittedly I would have been riding it a bit more before tearing it down again, but your on a pioneering and engineering quest here and I can't wait to see the outcome!

Best of luck (with the bike and reno), hit me up for a beer if you're ever up near Seattle!
Old 06-19-2013, 07:08 PM   #859
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel77 View Post
Hey Gregor,

I just finished reading through this - crazy stuff, the good kind! We "met" on the Duc-forum when I was building my Hyper-Strada. Now that my house reno is about done and I too sold most everything on two wheels, I am slowly looking for another bike/build and I'm leaning towards the 950 Adventure as well

Love what you're doing, admittedly I would have been riding it a bit more before tearing it down again, but your on a pioneering and engineering quest here and I can't wait to see the outcome!

Best of luck (with the bike and reno), hit me up for a beer if you're ever up near Seattle!
Michel! Hey man how are you?

I replaced my Hyper with an MV Brutale and then replaced that with a BMW R1200S and I just put that up for sale to fund the house reno. I'm hoping that I'll be able to skim enough off the sale to pick up an older 4th or 5th gen VFR which is one of the bikes on my bucket list and would be the 4th bike I've owned during this bikes construction. The VFR can serve as cheap interim transportation.

I was hoping this 990 would be done but it's taking longer than I'd hoped. Of course the name of the thread is mission creep but honestly I'd love to stop creeping for a while and ride. Can't exactly put the brakes on now though...

Gregor
Old 06-27-2013, 10:42 AM   #860
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer: 2,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakurama View Post
Yes, I'll have to but it should be a token amount just in the bottom. I wanted a window to the level but Chris suggested just a drain and a fill at the correct level so it's like a normal transmission - fill it until it overflows and your good. He's right but I like windows - as evidenced by my garage thread...

I digress.

I went out yesterday to work on the bike but we ended up spending the afternoon working on a kickstarter project we're doing together instead. I was frustrated but glad at least one of my many projects is going forward. Once we get our prototypes together for that and we're ready to launch it I'll mention what it is but for now it's enough to say it's not bike related.

I digress again.

I suspect sometimes that it must be difficult to have a conversation with me because my mind wanders so much. Hard to believe right? Okay, back to the topic at hand. My ridiculously sprawling 990 project. Sigh.

So when we last left off I discovered that the spokes were actually 6.8mm and I didn't have a wrench. I ordered a nice Motion Pro one and it showed up on Friday...

...only to end up being too small at 6.71mm. Thanks Motion Pro! Luckily I was at Chris' shop and the Bridgeport was just around the corner so I snugged that sucker down in the vise and skimmed it to 6.8mm. Which was still too small. Slowly I'm learning and I didn't remove the wrench until I'd actually tried to fit a spoke nipple in there. It needed to be 6.83mm to be snug and fit.

6.84 might have been better but I went through the plating to the copper so I suspect it will wear in a bit and it's better to be too tight than too loose.

Back to the wheel.

Gregor
Phew...for a second there I thought you were going to put the rim in the mill and machine each spoke nipple down..

Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:18 AM   #861
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woundflatout View Post
My 6 month M.O. Sickness is getting worse. I am searching for a 990 that I can afford.

I've only had the XR for 3 months.
Sorry about giving you that 990 idea again at the Black Dog, Jason.....
I have had my 990 a month shy of 6 years now: still awesome.
I really have had no big hankerin' for anything else,
...and my long-term house renovation is still sucking up all extra funds except priorities like tires, gas, and oil.
Monogamy is just fine with the just the right bike
It's an Adventure honeymoon that might last forever
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:04 PM   #862
CosentinoEngineering
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
OK everybody, I'm back. Sorry about the huge gap in posts but I am having a bit of a business boom and had to bring a guy in to help. Yes, what a thing to complain about but I forgot how much time is involved in bringing someone up to speed on several projects on a temperamental lathe. Next month it will be a benefit to me but last month was not. This month was a wash. Anyway, he's now on track and now so am I. Oh, I can also blame Gregor for sidetracking me on another project. And have I mentioned how much effort it is to make decent posts? Dammit Jim, I'm an engineer, not a writer.

The CAD

I did a bunch of design and fab work on the project in some time gaps over the past few weeks. The mounting of the transfer case and enclosed chain run are now largely worked out. Here's a couple of images of where we're at.

and

and

The CAD is more more than 90% complete. After some discussions with chain manufacturers I've decided to switch from a small oil bath to grease for the lubrication of the long chain run. An easy to remove section of the cover will allow easy grease refreshing. Since Christini uses grease lubrication in the 3 sealed chain runs in their system I think this should work fine. Discussions with them also helped make my decision to fix the short chain run sprocket center distances and live with the small amount of stretch that will happen over the chain's life. Due to the short chain the stretch will be negligible and the complication of an adjustable center is more than offset by the ease of chain replacement. Goes to show how KISS applies almost everywhere.

Now that the CAD is well along I needed to get over my mental block of cutting Gregor's frame. Since I did not take the smart step of getting a test frame like CJ did I need to shoot straight on my first round. With that in mind I make the first cuts and so far, so good....

A proud father (on haircut day) with his piloted reamer apparatus. There are guide inserts pressed into the headstock bearing seats to guide the reamer and mandrel shaft along the entire length of the cut for best results. the only reamer available in 47mm diameter was a shell style (with a tapered bore!) which necessitated the making of a mandrel shaft and the accessory parts.

For some reason the cordless drill just didn't have enough oomph for this. Peter briefly stopped applying cutting oil to take this picture.

So far so good, surface finish is nice and diameter is within tolerance.

I need to go about 3 inches down from each bearing seat to create the space needed for my bearing setup.

Now that I've broken the frame's cherry progress should be a lot faster. Especially if Gregor keeps calling me to see if I had any serious family emergencies causing me not to post.

Extra thanks to Joe and Tony for their understanding of a malleable schedule.
CosentinoEngineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:48 PM   #863
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosentinoEngineering View Post
Dammit Jim Gregor, I'm a [busy] engineer, not a writer.
Fixed it for you.

I love where this is going. I'm hoping that the bike and the house are finished at almost the same time and I can take a week off and ride it out and then park the bike in front of the house and drink a beer (or three) and just appreciate them both.

Glad you're busy now get to work on our other project!

Gregor
Old 06-27-2013, 09:28 PM   #864
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakurama View Post
Glad you're busy now get to work on our other project!Gregor
Do tell...
Old 06-27-2013, 10:41 PM   #865
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,412
I have a straight "branded title" donor 990 ADV frame...... If you need a bare frame for anything let me know, willing to share for the cause.
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:56 PM   #866
CosentinoEngineering
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Haven't screwed anything up yet but thanks for the offer.

Unfortunately I let the reamer dwell for a bit in the cut without lube and now its completely dull so had to send it out for resharpening. I'll get it back next week then can finish the ream and cut the bevel imput shaft hole.
CosentinoEngineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:35 AM   #867
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,690
Good stuff chris
I hope your not trying to hold it together with Velcro.
DRjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:13 AM   #868
mbrick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Just wanted to say WOW. This thread is insane!

Definitely staying tuned in to see the progress on your 2WD work.

I spent bits of the afternoon reading through it and everything in here is impressive. I know how much time it takes to take good photos and write it up so I appreciate the detail put into it.
mbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:00 PM   #869
pdxmotorhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Couldn't you line the box that holds the chain and sprockets with something like delrin? then no grease required.. Like timing chain guides.. Cause obviously your running out of stuff to build.. LOL

Awsome effort..

Dave
Old 07-19-2013, 07:50 PM   #870
sakurama OP
on an endless build

We talked about Delin and it still might be part of the design but I think that fully enclosed allows grease which is stickier than oil and therefore longer lasting. Obviously this project is dragging on longer than hoped for but. Chris assures me I will be ready for the national KTM rally. You mean like Daytona Chris?

Gregor