ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-28-2013, 06:33 PM   #1
canoli OP
human
 
canoli's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Not from round these parts.
Oddometer: 1,630
Yet another "what racing bike thread"..

Hate to do this but I could really use the help of the collective on this one.

I've been looking around at the very limited selection we have here in Central Australia and I think I've narrowed down my choices to either a Honda CRF 250X or possibly the Yamaha WR250R. I've tried a Honda CRF 450X and it was a bit too big for me. Tried a DRZ 250 and it and my current DR 650 are just too soft in every way. The KTM 530 I test rode the other day tried to kill me. There are 2 used WR450's for sale here but they want over $11,000 for them.

The bike needs to be 4 stroke, street legal ( so I can ride to the track) and as close to "race ready" as possible. Are there any other bikes I should be looking at?

Me:
Never raced motorcycles a day in my life and want to give it a go (survive)
5 ft 7 in
160 lbs

Terrain: Deep desert sand & whoops…lots and lots of whoops.

Thanks,
Canoli
canoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:56 PM   #2
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Oddometer: 2,544
Your best bet is to contact a local racing organization, or riding club, and start visiting with the members. Someone is bound to have a used bike that they'd sell to an aspiring racer for a decent price.
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:03 PM   #3
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT
 
Mudguts's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Some were in , lostralia
Oddometer: 2,087
If you don't want spend money don't bother racing , if you get the race bug
It's going to cost you , you will want the best of every thing you will want spares you will want tyres , why ... Well you don't want to enter a race and have some thing fail if you can't afford a mechanic you have to it your self ( it a good thing thou) but if you can't do it you self then you need a mechanic that cost $$$$

If you are going to buy a used bike plan a rebuild you never know what you are buying so buy new .

Dirt bike racing is cheap compared to super bikes at about $5000 per race weekend , were DB would be $500 + using new tyres entry fees fuel bla bla bla

Not saying it can't be done cheaper but that's what I would spend
__________________
Birth of a Rally Bike - KTM525
Mudguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:50 AM   #4
TedG540
Gnarly Adventurer
 
TedG540's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Shenandoah Valley
Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by canoli View Post
I've narrowed down my choices to either a Honda CRF 250X or possibly the Yamaha WR250R.
I have a CRF250X, and a WR250R. If you plan on racing, the CRF250X wins hands down. The CRF250X is 50 lbs lighter, with a better suspension.
TedG540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:36 PM   #5
canoli OP
human
 
canoli's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Not from round these parts.
Oddometer: 1,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedG540 View Post
I have a CRF250X, and a WR250R. If you plan on racing, the CRF250X wins hands down. The CRF250X is 50 lbs lighter, with a better suspension.
Thanks!

Canoli
canoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:53 AM   #6
Pantah
Patriot Nation?
 
Pantah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: India Wharf
Oddometer: 10,116
My son had a KTM 350 EXC-F. It is street legal. He won a race in Baja with it. He now has a 450XC-W which is a real race bike. It is hard to ride because it has almost no flywheel and the motor hits very hard.

Hands down the 350 is a sweeter bike to do most things with. Very easy to ride well, according to him. Plus it's pretty fast.
__________________
Straight ahead and faster -Bo Weaver 1970
"There I was..." -Griffin Niner Three Hotel
"One day closer to a parade..." Jonny Gomes, spring training 2013
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:45 AM   #7
canoli OP
human
 
canoli's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Not from round these parts.
Oddometer: 1,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
My son had a KTM 350 EXC-F. It is street legal. He won a race in Baja with it. He now has a 450XC-W which is a real race bike. It is hard to ride because it has almost no flywheel and the motor hits very hard.

Hands down the 350 is a sweeter bike to do most things with. Very easy to ride well, according to him. Plus it's pretty fast.
Yeah I'm keeping my eye open for one of those as well. I hear the new 250 is also getting good reviews.


Canoli
canoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:58 AM   #8
KZJohn
Gnarly Adventurer
 
KZJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Anaheim Hills
Oddometer: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
My son had a KTM 350 EXC-F. It is street legal. He won a race in Baja with it. He now has a 450XC-W which is a real race bike. It is hard to ride because it has almost no flywheel and the motor hits very hard.

Hands down the 350 is a sweeter bike to do most things with. Very easy to ride well, according to him. Plus it's pretty fast.
I have several friends with the KTM 350's and they love them. I will stick with my Crf450x though, it fits me and works great.
__________________
1976 KZ900A4
1985 CR250R
2006 CRF450X(Baja ready baby!!)
Team Hammernutrition/T&S Motorsports
KZJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:50 PM   #9
cross-country
.
 
cross-country's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Grand Junction, CO
Oddometer: 1,574
If you're going to be racing in primarily deep sand and whoops a wide ratio trans will be big disadvantage and probably make the experience a little frustrating. I would look for a yz250f or 250sxf or xcf.
cross-country is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:03 AM   #10
canoli OP
human
 
canoli's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Not from round these parts.
Oddometer: 1,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by cross-country View Post
If you're going to be racing in primarily deep sand and whoops a wide ratio trans will be big disadvantage and probably make the experience a little frustrating. I would look for a yz250f or 250sxf or xcf.
Nah it needs to be street legal. In OZ no green sticker = no plate. I'm heading to Sydney at the end of the month and will be checking out the shops for some used deals.
canoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:12 AM   #11
canoli OP
human
 
canoli's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Not from round these parts.
Oddometer: 1,630
Edit:
Fuck it. Stepped up today and bought this.
CRF 450 X with all the extra's.



Thanks for the help guys.

Canoli

canoli screwed with this post 07-12-2013 at 10:20 PM
canoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:57 AM   #12
Chazzard
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Oakland
Oddometer: 10
Hey.. welcome to the 5'7" dudes riding a 450 with a seat height that is above our waist line.. club..

Here's the 450 I raced last weekend in Ukiah, Ca.. I got a third place..

I picked up this bike a year ago, august and this race was the first time I'd ridden it.. My biggest worry was that I couldn't start it up.. but it's not like the old XR600's that will take you to school every ride.... these kick right over when hot or cold with a couple turns of the throttle and a light kick.

I picked a # that was easy to make with tape.. I have to work on my 0's heheh..

Quote:
Originally Posted by canoli View Post
Edit:
Fuck it. Stepped up today and bought this.
CRF 450 X with all the extra's.



Thanks for the help guys.

Canoli
Attached Images
 
Chazzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:43 PM   #13
nachtflug
infidel
 
nachtflug's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: Harrys place
Oddometer: 46,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by canoli View Post
I've been looking around at the very limited selection we have here in Central Australia and I think I've narrowed down my choices to either a Honda CRF 250X or possibly the Yamaha WR250R.
if the Honda is street legal it's not even a comparison. the WRR is a nice bike.

for what I'm not sure...

racing it instead of an 250X?
nachtflug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:21 AM   #14
canoli OP
human
 
canoli's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Not from round these parts.
Oddometer: 1,630
Chazzard thems some funny looking numbers but you get extra points for style.

Flug,
I took the new (to me) bike out for 80 km run along the Finke track after work yesterday and WOW what an amazing machine. Much lighter then it looks and it made me look like a rock star (at least until I fell over trying to open a cattle fence). Going through the whoops I was able to ride the rear wheel for a bit and it flew through the deep sand sections. I'm sore as hell today and I still dont know how those front runners are able to get air off the dunes but I'm heading out again in the morning for another workout.

Thanks again.

Canoli
canoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:41 AM   #15
Chazzard
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Oakland
Oddometer: 10
heh, I should of picked 44..

Quote:
Originally Posted by canoli View Post
Chazzard thems some funny looking numbers but you get extra points for style.

Flug,
I took the new (to me) bike out for 80 km run along the Finke track after work yesterday and WOW what an amazing machine. Much lighter then it looks and it made me look like a rock star (at least until I fell over trying to open a cattle fence). Going through the whoops I was able to ride the rear wheel for a bit and it flew through the deep sand sections. I'm sore as hell today and I still dont know how those front runners are able to get air off the dunes but I'm heading out again in the morning for another workout.

Thanks again.

Canoli
Chazzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014