User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2013, 05:40 AM   #1
FargAT OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Laugh There's a pig in my stable?!

After about 1 year of "researching", I've picked up a GS Adventure.
...and since this ADV,...here's the required image:

Specs: 2011 w. 12.8k miles. Former owner, the definition of a straight shooter, nice guy from NYC. Tons of farkles, Wunderlich & Touratech AND the revered Russel Day Long. What was I ever doing without the RDL?? Only a few minor items to go, and the GSA will be near perfect.

Fun stuff and comparison:
I figured, if I'm already buying the pig, i might as well do it right. I picked her up in NYC and rode her home to Fargo, ND -> 1503 miles. Yes, it's bunburner distance. Did I manage? Yep. Will I certify? No. I don't see any reason to have my rides certified. Different story altogether, though.

Comparison. At the price point of the GSA, aesthetics play a role. Meaning, this cut the search down to only 2 contenders that are available in the USA.
The Tiger Triumph Explorer 1200 and the GSA.
The Yamaha S10 never entered the picture, since it is a design nightmare. Guzzi Stelvio, same issue. Duc - chain final drive. No thank you.
I did put some seat time on the TEx, but have to admit that I was ergonomically never happy. I'm 6'3" and unless I'd modify the living daylights out of the TEx, it wouldn't do the job; and even then it's questionable whether I'd get it to be "just right". Then there's the question of value retention. The BMW has the best resale value years down the road. (at least that's my justification to the finance minister )
The there's the snappy throttle performance. I ran the TEx over some "out there terrain" and the first bump that sent my wrist back, also introduced a surge forward. The slightest wrist movement, and the TEx goes into cyberspace. Great on asphalt, nightmare off the beaten path.

Ultimately, I ended up getting the exact bike I have wanted for many years. Now it's onwards to find the best offroad riding school (Rawhyde?) to learn the latest of the necessary riding and performance skills (recommendations anyone?..Buehler...Buehler...) and then a set of highway pegs (pictures of your setup? Ferris....Ferris?).

That's all. I'm thrilled, happy, and need a stock seat for in-town riding, 'cause even though I'm 6'3", I can't flat foot the beast.

Mike
FargAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:35 AM   #2
Botch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Congrats and Welcome! Enjoy what's left of the riding season (I was stationed at Grand Forks for three years).
Botch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:36 AM   #3
Gillus
High Desert Rat

Oddometer: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by FargAT View Post
After about 1 year of "researching", I've picked up a GS Adventure.
...and since this ADV,...here's the required image:

Specs: 2011 w. 12.8k miles. Former owner, the definition of a straight shooter, nice guy from NYC. Tons of farkles, Wunderlich & Touratech AND the revered Russel Day Long. What was I ever doing without the RDL?? Only a few minor items to go, and the GSA will be near perfect.

Fun stuff and comparison:
I figured, if I'm already buying the pig, i might as well do it right. I picked her up in NYC and rode her home to Fargo, ND -> 1503 miles. Yes, it's bunburner distance. Did I manage? Yep. Will I certify? No. I don't see any reason to have my rides certified. Different story altogether, though.

Comparison. At the price point of the GSA, aesthetics play a role. Meaning, this cut the search down to only 2 contenders that are available in the USA.
The Tiger Triumph Explorer 1200 and the GSA.
The Yamaha S10 never entered the picture, since it is a design nightmare. Guzzi Stelvio, same issue. Duc - chain final drive. No thank you.
I did put some seat time on the TEx, but have to admit that I was ergonomically never happy. I'm 6'3" and unless I'd modify the living daylights out of the TEx, it wouldn't do the job; and even then it's questionable whether I'd get it to be "just right". Then there's the question of value retention. The BMW has the best resale value years down the road. (at least that's my justification to the finance minister )
The there's the snappy throttle performance. I ran the TEx over some "out there terrain" and the first bump that sent my wrist back, also introduced a surge forward. The slightest wrist movement, and the TEx goes into cyberspace. Great on asphalt, nightmare off the beaten path.

Ultimately, I ended up getting the exact bike I have wanted for many years. Now it's onwards to find the best offroad riding school (Rawhyde?) to learn the latest of the necessary riding and performance skills (recommendations anyone?..Buehler...Buehler...) and then a set of highway pegs (pictures of your setup? Ferris....Ferris?).

That's all. I'm thrilled, happy, and need a stock seat for in-town riding, 'cause even though I'm 6'3", I can't flat foot the beast.

Mike
Congrats on the new to you bike .

Try a regular height GS seat and that will lower you an inch closer to the ground. If that works send it to Rick Mayer for a (regular gs height) custom job. That's the best thing I did to mine or tied with the steering stabilizer.

Off Road riding hint: When riding this bike off paved road, stand up on the pegs and just point it where you want to go, a bit of throttle and let it do the rest .
Gillus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:32 AM   #4
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,567
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:16 PM   #5
Musashi50
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Laugh A little bit of "pig love"

Ditto.

Congrats!

~Bruce~

"So, where did I hide my keys... This time?"
Musashi50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:44 PM   #6
Poway
SHED (Shit Head)

Oddometer: 448
Congrats on your new/used ride. I am impressed on how sharp you are (probably because I admire your thought process). As my GS1100 was hitting 100K (still in excellent running condition), I began to look for a replacement stead. I tried out a brand new Yamaha Tenere (former Yamaha RD350 and XS1100 owner/ Yamaha cool aid drinker). After an extensive test ride I wa s shocked! The Yamaha isn't in the same league as BMW's 18 year old design, the GS1100 . And forget about any Tenere comparison to the GS1200. My issue was solved by buying a BMW 98 GS1100 with 6,000 miles.
As for your plan to get training, RawHyde is an outstanding experience in every way. Fantastic value, with techniques that greatly enhanced my ability to take the big pig on an adventure.
Poway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:56 AM   #7
Wdwrkr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,655
Congrats on the bike. They are the most complete bike made IMHO. I can't say enough good things about Rawhyde. It is just a great experience. Wether you go to Colorado, or California try to stay and do the post class trip with Jim and the boys. It really helps put it all together. Jim doesn't do anything half way. It is all done right. The only other advice I have is use one of their bikes if you can afford it. You will drop it, if you don't you are not trying. If you choose to use your own bike take the bags off. I've seen guys trash there bags thinking they were rear crash guards.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:11 AM   #8
FargAT OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Thanks folks.

In regards to the seating "issue". I can easily reach the ground, but I'm not firmly flat-footing on both sides. The RDL ads quite some height to the GSA. In town, I can see where this might become an issue. On distance trips, it's no problem at all. Offroad,...well...Off-Asphalt, it's also not an issue.
Basically, I'll probably add the stock seat front to my arsenal, and leave the RDL off until I head out of town. Otherwise, a stocker should get the desired effect for in town and short distance runs.

Rawhyde does seem to be the best school, or at least it's the school with the best marketing, recommendations, customer feedback, etc. I'll look into that with a bit more research for next season.

There'll be some other mods that have to be made as well. Lighting for one. The stock lights are not sufficient. I'll look into options to fit HID or LED lights into the current housings. PIAA soup dishes are not coming anywhere near my bike.

The more "amusing" realization was to park the GSA next to our Concours 14s. The Kawis, although not exactly small bikes, look bit a midgety in comparison.
I can see where this GSA thing can easily turn into an addiction....
FargAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:22 AM   #9
TomDac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Congrats! Great bike.
TomDac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:33 AM   #10
Norhasken
Tryin' to find my way

Oddometer: 18,228
Congratulations!