ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 508 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 09:12 PM   #29836
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger
 
fullmonte's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee
Oddometer: 5,433
If one were to ride 20 miles in 1hour and 8 seconds, then why does the Garmin think that equates to a 19.8 mph average speed? Damn that piece of inaccurate junk, I'm gonna round up... just this once.
__________________
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:11 AM   #29837
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
Nuun's great. It's a little tube of tablets you add to your waterbottle.

They're kind of effervescent, which can be nice when you've been drinking stuff that tastes like fruit flavored anti-freeze all day.
The Camelbak stuff that's very similar tastes better. IMO of course

I'll say it again: knock em dead, Killer!

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:13 AM   #29838
Ridge
Sinister Kid
 
Ridge's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Searching...
Oddometer: 1,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
Took about two weeks off from cycling due to a conference followed immediately by a week long visit from my in-laws. Back to commuting and I don't seem to be much slower but I feel like I have lead in my legs.

The wife and I (and our "team") have RAGBRAI in a little over a week now. Had a friend drag us put for a few miles tonight but I still haven't done any rides as long as one day of RAGBRAI I'm going to take the faster Klein road bike but the gearing is too high for me when I'm tired. Seems like most rides find me in my lowest gear combo and trying to downshift I just got that Long Haul Trucker and love the wide range gearing on that but I thought I had the Klein better set up. Now I'm thinking of putting my road pedals on the Surly and riding that, but I'll probably man up and take the Klein.
I really hate I'm missing it this year! Although, I heard Lance is riding, so maybe he'll give out some free EPO samples to give you that pep in your pedal when you need it...
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:14 AM   #29839
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
recall back when I was racing and training hard, I bought an interviewing suit. the guy at the shop was amazed. He had to get a 34 waist to fit over my thighs.
That was cool. What wasn't so cool is fifteen years later growing out of that waist.
That's me too. I've actually gotten back to a 32ish in waist, but still buy the 34s for the thigh room.

...and I had outgrown MY jeans too. Hence the getting back on the bike.

BUT I'm still racing.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:09 AM   #29840
Tripped1
Likely Lost.
 
Tripped1's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Nippon
Oddometer: 8,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
Take a drill into the Suffer Score tab on this one.


11,000 feet climbed......yeah, no.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenScummyTroll View Post
Show folks something with a clutch and carburetor, and it's like teaching a baboon to use a Macbook.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:19 AM   #29841
Ridge
Sinister Kid
 
Ridge's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Searching...
Oddometer: 1,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by fz6kd7 View Post
Before when i cycled water maybe cytomax
and that was it....i was alot younger.

Have not heard of nuun so i will look into that

Thanks

So far...
Epo
Bastard ale
Nuun
Cytomax
I would add Tailwind Nutrition to that list. I've tried all make and manner of hydration mixes and each person should do the same to discover what works best with their body over many miles. The Cytomax was okay for me but it was absolutely necessary to keep it cold. If it heated up, it would outgas in my bottles and created a bloating problem for me on long days in the saddle. It also makes for a rather gross science project in your bottles if not cleaned out immediately post-ride. I don't have to worry with any of that since switching to Tailwind.

I use Osmo nutrition recovery powder mixed with almond milk immediately post-ride and/or a Coke or Sprite. I know this will flare up some of the rec riders... but you should really avoid any alcoholic drinks post-ride for at least a few hours while your body replenishes and recovers. (more so on very intense rides or training sessions than a group social ride or rec ride)
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:38 AM   #29842
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
I just got that Long Haul Trucker and love the wide range gearing on that but I thought I had the Klein better set up. Now I'm thinking of putting my road pedals on the Surly and riding that, but I'll probably man up and take the Klein.
LOL! You might end up pissed at the "man-up" part of your brain. Get that LHT setup squared away.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:42 AM   #29843
El Guero
V4 Whore
 
El Guero's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Iowa City, IA
Oddometer: 9,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
LOL! You might end up pissed at the "man-up" part of your brain. Get that LHT setup squared away.
That's my plan, but I got the Klein from an inmate with the intention of taking it on RAGBRAI and I've spent the last six months getting it ready (though I won't say if it's been done correctly ). The LHT was an unexpected purchase so I haven't had time to play with it much. If I had a few hundred extra dollars on me I would be tempted to run around town to get the shoes and saddle and pedals etc but I have to make sure I have money for the trip!
__________________

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:51 AM   #29844
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
That's my plan, but I got the Klein from an inmate with the intention of taking it on RAGBRAI and I've spent the last six months getting it ready (though I won't say if it's been done correctly ). The LHT was an unexpected purchase so I haven't had time to play with it much. If I had a few hundred extra dollars on me I would be tempted to run around town to get the shoes and saddle and pedals etc but I have to make sure I have money for the trip!
Money for food. That doesn't change, with either bike. And, roll self-supported. Your legs will appreciate the workout.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:54 AM   #29845
El Guero
V4 Whore
 
El Guero's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Iowa City, IA
Oddometer: 9,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Money for food. That doesn't change, with either bike. And, roll self-supported. Your legs will appreciate the workout.
Maybe next year, assuming I don't die this year
__________________

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #29846
filmfan
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: live free or die
Oddometer: 840
If it's an old generation Klein with straight-gauge 6061 tubing (like mine) the LHT will be more comfortable with its steel frame.
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #29847
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV
 
Mr Head's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 7,829
I'm actually wearing an old pair of jeans I'd stopped wearing because they were too tight.

The are comfy now.

My weight doesn't seem to change yet. Yet.
A year and a half ago I was down almost 20 pounds so I can do that again. I plan to get in some running which has in the past worked to affect my weight.

Plus I'm going to need to have some running under my belt for a cancer run I'm doing with my wife and daughters in September.

Now, another thing; that Garmin Connect site? Ack!
After Strava the Garmin site is nearly useless. And that pretty much tears it for my spending my money on another Garmin product. Next up? I'll have to look into options.

The FR70 HRM fit fine and was basically not noticeable. Setting it up is a bit fiddly. But, it worked. Getting it to move the data to Strava not so much.
Once I can work out the upload to Strava from the Sync site maybe I can use the data.
__________________
...Dick
"You don't go to Mongolia for the food." - Sebastian & Kim
2010 KTM 990 Adventure R
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:34 PM   #29848
fz6kd7
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: LAS VEGAS USA
Oddometer: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
I would add Tailwind Nutrition to that list. I've tried all make and manner of hydration mixes and each person should do the same to discover what works best with their body over many miles. The Cytomax was okay for me but it was absolutely necessary to keep it cold. If it heated up, it would outgas in my bottles and created a bloating problem for me on long days in the saddle. It also makes for a rather gross science project in your bottles if not cleaned out immediately post-ride. I don't have to worry with any of that since switching to Tailwind.

I use Osmo nutrition recovery powder mixed with almond milk immediately post-ride and/or a Coke or Sprite. I know this will flare up some of the rec riders... but you should really avoid any alcoholic drinks post-ride for at least a few hours while your body replenishes and recovers. (more so on very intense rides or training sessions than a group social ride or rec ride)
thanks for both of those products

can you feel a obvious result on the osmo recovery drink or is it a more subtile effect?

looks like i may try all the osmo products, this time of year is not the best
to get back into cycling in vegas, so i cycle only after sundown right now
fz6kd7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:45 PM   #29849
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion
 
YakSpout's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: all by myself
Oddometer: 6,190
Just ordered the small pack of Lemon Tailwind. I'll give it a shot when it shows up. I've been using Accelerade for years (and the big jug seems to last that long), but don't mind trying something else out.

Nuun tablets seems to work well for me, too, but I often just use water to refill once I'm out and about.

I've got a buddy that swears by Skratch Labs, but he's also a Rapha nut and bakes his own energy bars and you know what they say about them...
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:01 PM   #29850
Ridge
Sinister Kid
 
Ridge's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Searching...
Oddometer: 1,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by fz6kd7 View Post
thanks for both of those products

can you feel a obvious result on the osmo recovery drink or is it a more subtile effect?

looks like i may try all the osmo products, this time of year is not the best
to get back into cycling in vegas, so i cycle only after sundown right now
That's really subjective to each individual. I usually feel tightness in my muscles for a day or so after particularly hard training rides or races. That feeling subsides as soon as I get on the bike and turn the pedals over for a few miles. The Osmo (or any recovery drink for that matter) is more for replenishing the glycogen and protein I used up during the session. This is more critical when I'm racing in omniums or back-to-back daily crits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
Just ordered the small pack of Lemon Tailwind. I'll give it a shot when it shows up.
I mix it two servings each per 24oz bottle. It's very easy to modulate the strength to your liking as it's a light flavor.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015