Old 07-11-2013, 10:10 PM   #7471
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlurr View Post
Apparently I am missing the add Images button
Ain't none, AFAIK.

Independent image hosting required to post pictures on this website; again, AFAIK.

Whatcha got?
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:24 PM   #7472
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,447
Im pretty pissed at myself. Fukk. I went to the taco truck today and as I was leaving I decided to check my engine oil (im moving tomorrow and riding about 180 miles). I look at the glass and the oil level is barely above the window. WTF. I changed the oil and filter on the 18th of last month. Its NOT a burner. Or at least I thought it wasn't. Is that level low enough to cause damage? And if so what kind? Im super upset at myself for letting this happen. I guess I need to make a better habit of checking it.

On a side note, while I was at Wally's (I digging HATE Wally's with a passion but they have the oil I use, no one else in this tiny town does) I bought myself one of those ATV seatpads. Figured it would be useful on the trip tomorrow. Anyone else like or dislike these things?
One Fat Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:35 PM   #7473
skirecs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Hey, a friend just bought a KLR, it is in my garage and I'm giving it a once over. 35k miles, 1993

PO says it was recently honed, new rings, valves lapped and new valve seals.

Taking it apart, the top end looks nice, I haven't taken the caps off yet but the lobes look brand new so I don't suspect oil starvation.

I have the left side open to do the doo, but it has already been upgraded. I did see some funkiness, I want to know what should be next....

Firstly, I found this sliver stuck to the pickup, any idea where it might have come off?

Next, and most scary is the bolt inside the cam chain loop has been eaten by the cam chain. The cam chain looks brand new, so I suspect it was replaced during the valve job. Could the old one stretched enough that is was slapping this bolt head? Can I just replace that bolt as it is now?

The counterbalance weights are spring mounted like a clutch right? This one is able to rotate a few degrees each way on its sprocket, I hope that is normal.

Thanks for the input. I was hoping I could just pop in here, upgrade the doo, new fluids all around and say its good. Looks like I might be going down a rabbit hole.

Also, vibrations are pretty intense. I was hoping the counterbalancer was stock so they might be fixed. I might loosen and tighten motor mounts to see if that helps?

skirecs screwed with this post 07-12-2013 at 08:31 AM
skirecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:55 AM   #7474
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,647
Skitecs,

What year bike is it?
The sliver- is it slightly rounded one side? If that, then it is a part of a circlip. Is the retaining circlip missing from the lower weight and shaft in the pic?
Why was the cylinder honed- a part of a larger issue to have the motor apart?
When was the cam chain changed? Seems as though there has been more work done than the PO has let on to?
Change the bolt out.
Weights are not spring loaded if a newer model motor.
Check the cam timing as well as the counter weight timing. When the chain was put on it is possible they were all not correctly timed - hence the vibrations.

The motor is hard mounted - if the mounting bolts as tight that will not affect the vibrations.
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:57 AM   #7475
fleshpiston
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzGrizz View Post
another vote here for the packratt love mine. how do you have your pelicans mounted?

Happy Trails pucks with a bicycle seat post quick release..... on and off in seconds with no tools.

KLR650
fleshpiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:04 AM   #7476
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinroach View Post
Im pretty pissed at myself. Fukk. I went to the taco truck today and as I was leaving I decided to check my engine oil (im moving tomorrow and riding about 180 miles). I look at the glass and the oil level is barely above the window. WTF. I changed the oil and filter on the 18th of last month. Its NOT a burner. Or at least I thought it wasn't. Is that level low enough to cause damage? And if so what kind? Im super upset at myself for letting this happen. I guess I need to make a better habit of checking it.

On a side note, while I was at Wally's (I digging HATE Wally's with a passion but they have the oil I use, no one else in this tiny town does) I bought myself one of those ATV seatpads. Figured it would be useful on the trip tomorrow. Anyone else like or dislike these things?
Depending on the oil temp, it sometimes takes a while for the oil to settle.
The oil level in sight glass is very sensitive to how level the bike is. If I recall, the oil shown in the sight glass is 1.2 qt. So, if you can see oil there, you are fine and no damage will have occurred. Get yourself a small bubble level (Camping stores). Place it on top of the oil filter section. Doing it that way you will always know that you are checking the the oil level the same way. Get the bike level and then check the oil.

Anything is better that a stock seat!
Old 07-12-2013, 05:06 AM   #7477
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleshpiston View Post
Happy Trails pucks with a bicycle seat post quick release..... on and off in seconds with no tools.

Are you confident that it strong enough? Several pounds of stuff, rough road or a slight bump could shear the pin on the plastic crack?
Old 07-12-2013, 05:46 AM   #7478
Danger4u2
KX & CR 500 Rider

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
Are you confident that it strong enough? Several pounds of stuff, rough road or a slight bump could shear the pin on the plastic crack?
I was thinking the same thing. If the 2 bottom "hooks" are fully seated they should hold all the weight. But, myself and everyone else ALWAYS over loads.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:42 AM   #7479
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinroach View Post

I have a coleman pad,I used it on my DR350,it now resides on the KLR I think it works Ive had it so long its part of the seat,it does a fine job of protecting the seat from the sun and my boot dragging across the seat,it will crack you up now when you relize how many others have the pad also,if mine rips Ill replace it but its holds up pretty well for the price.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:48 AM   #7480
fleshpiston
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
Are you confident that it strong enough?

I wasn't at first but 17,000 miles later I guess I am now. Holes are still perfectly round, no cracks. I've carried a case of beer per side a few miles to the campsite a couple times. Not exactly a light load.

KLR650
fleshpiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:09 AM   #7481
nvklr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by skirecs View Post
Hey, a friend just bought a KLR, it is in my garage and I'm giving it a once over. 35k miles

PO says it was recently honed, new rings, valves lapped and new valve seals.

Taking it apart, the top end looks nice, I haven't taken the caps off yet but the lobes look brand new so I don't suspect oil starvation.

I have the left side open to do the doo, but it has already been upgraded. I did see some funkiness, I want to know what should be next....

Firstly, I found this sliver stuck to the pickup, any idea where it might have come off?

Next, and most scary is the bolt inside the cam chain loop has been eaten by the cam chain. The cam chain looks brand new, so I suspect it was replaced during the valve job. Could the old one stretched enough that is was slapping this bolt head? Can I just replace that bolt as it is now?

The counterbalance weights are spring mounted like a clutch right? This one is able to rotate a few degrees each way on its sprocket, I hope that is normal.

Thanks for the input. I was hoping I could just pop in here, upgrade the doo, new fluids all around and say its good. Looks like I might be going down a rabbit hole.

Also, vibrations are pretty intense. I was hoping the counterbalancer was stock so they might be fixed. I might loosen and tighten motor mounts to see if that helps?
Would be a good idea to change those sprockets to the newer type. I can't tell if those are worn or not, but the originals tend to wear fast. Good used ebay parts can be had cheap, new ones are't too bad.
nvklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:21 AM   #7482
stuser
Putt putt putt

Oddometer: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleshpiston View Post
I've carried a case of beer per side a few miles to the campsite a couple times. Not exactly a light load.

don't you north americans drink light beer anyway??
stuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:30 AM   #7483
nvklr
Gnarly Adventurer

skirecs, Balancer Sprockets

Barrowed from another site, this is the part numbers you need if you decide to do the balancer sprockets:

12046-1165 Sprocket upper/rear
92022-1880 washer (goes inside the upper rear sprocket)
13164-1007 Front lower sprocket/weight assembly
2 each 48052000 C-clips
Old 07-12-2013, 08:18 AM   #7484
multiphrenic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Adjusted the pilot screw yesterday. Heart stopped a little when the bike wouldn't turn on. Realized I forgot to reconnect the start relay cable.

Tried to adjust the spring preload up from 5. Screw just turns and turns and nothing happens. There's no tension on it, I can twist it by hand. Any ideas??

Bike has 47000kms on it and hasn't had much work done on it before I bought it, so it might be time for some suspension work..not sure what will be involved in all that though..and certaintly don't have the cash this summer for any of it. :(
multiphrenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:29 AM   #7485
nvklr
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiphrenic View Post
Adjusted the pilot screw yesterday. Heart stopped a little when the bike wouldn't turn on. Realized I forgot to reconnect the start relay cable.

Tried to adjust the spring preload up from 5. Screw just turns and turns and nothing happens. There's no tension on it, I can twist it by hand. Any ideas??

Bike has 47000kms on it and hasn't had much work done on it before I bought it, so it might be time for some suspension work..not sure what will be involved in all that though..and certaintly don't have the cash this summer for any of it. :(
Start here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYDM2UpnO4M