ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2013, 12:07 PM   #61
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,265
After 2004, some KTM's were still getting plates from dealer even though they weren't eligible for them. I had a friend that owned a KTM dealership that was doing it. The DMV computers were programmed to deny plates to the big Japanese manufacturers but for some reason (quite probably due to the reason stated below) KTM's still got plates. However, as has been mentioned in previous threads in this West forum, DMV started pulling those plates. I kind of lost touch with the issue and haven't kept up with the latest developments.

Here's the form that must be filed out:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg31.pdf

There are "none" boxes which can be checked under items 6 and 8, and it's possible it will go through DMV with the "none" boxes checked. DO NOT remove the labels as that is the same as removing/altering the VIN and will possibly subject you to criminal prosecution and/or impounding the vehicle. I'm just pointing out that no labels is not an absolute deal killer. My recommendation is to go through the process truthfully and hope for the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Let us know how it goes Perry.

For a 2004 the C or 3 just means it's green sticker or red sticker. Does not grant it hiway usage. You may get a dumb clerk that will do it, but don't be surprised if they turn you down. The answer you got could very well have been referring to later models that are CARB certified for hiway licensure.

KTM does not state on their MSO (manufacturers statement of origin) that the bike is 'offroad use only' or 'competition use only' so that helps. But those were not hiway bikes and on a new title application they are required to do a vin check, specifically looking for a 50-state EPA sticker saying it conforms to federal hiway standards. The inspector will ask you where this sticker is. They have to sign the VIN Check form that it has it on there, enter their badge number and contact phone number. This is what confuses some (Larry) on "going by the VIN." The VIN has a year of manufacture coded into it, and 2004 KTM EXC's are not CARB legal for hiway use. And yes, the cutoff was 2004 for getting non-hiway motorcycles plated. It also happened that there were no newer bikes that year (2004) so that's where the year cutoff moniker comes from.

You will also need a lighting inspection certificate and sign an affidavit that the bike meets hiway regs for safety equipment. However they do not check for this equipment, you sign that it has it. Some bike shops can provide this for you - I got one done without them even looking at it for $50.

Good luck! Jerry Jahn got his, maybe you will too.
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #62
SloCalSpode
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Hey Jeffery - my KM buddy!!

Is that the same KDX as in my photo from 10 years ago? Is that the one that I painted the frame for your resto?

You remember that ride, don't you? We had someone along that was a doddler and I got tired of waiting and rode back to camp on the road.
Yesir'eeeee One and the same bike. She has a new dress and some fancy
dancing shoes on now, but, at heart she is still the same princess from our
KM trail ride'n dayz.
Sorry to run off topic, I'll stop now.
See ya in a week or so Chris.
JJ
SloCalSpode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:47 PM   #63
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Oddometer: 5,479
Thumb done

piece of cake!
Old 07-11-2013, 10:28 PM   #64
Jeff aka BOLT
Prefer Saturdays

Oddometer: 1,230
Congrats Perry

Expect a million PMs now

Guests are encouraged.
Jeff aka BOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:34 AM   #65
Rick6 OP
Budweiser Enthusiast

Oddometer: 39
I'm confused.. Plating a 450 EXC prior to the 07 model should be similar to plating a 450X, right? Why would plating an older 450 EXC be encouraged while plating a 450X is frowned upon?

Congrats either way on the plate
Rick6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:44 AM   #66
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick6 View Post
I'm confused.. Plating a 450 EXC prior to the 07 model should be similar to plating a 450X, right? Why would plating an older 450 EXC be encouraged while plating a 450X is frowned upon?

Congrats either way on the plate
That's true, my guess is is all internet hype. Now I'm gonna have to go buy an unplated 450X and get it plated, just to prove to all the naysayers that it's not that difficult!Excuse me while I go Ride my newly street LEGAL 2006 450EXC.......Brrrraaaaaaaappp!
Old 07-12-2013, 09:41 AM   #67
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,736
On June 23, 2003 Carb issued an order stating that all bikes must have a road emission sticker in order to get a license. Due to the hue and cry of the motorcycle community they delayed implementation to 1/1/2004.

The order has never been rescinded. I don't how you guys are getting your plates, except DMV does get things screwed up. Good for you, just don't count it applying to everyone.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:57 AM   #68
Kali Trailrider
PLATED X2

Oddometer: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
On June 23, 2003 Carb issued an order stating that all bikes must have a road emission sticker in order to get a license. Due to the hue and cry of the motorcycle community they delayed implementation to 1/1/2004.

The order has never been rescinded. I don't how you guys are getting your plates, except DMV does get things screwed up. Good for you, just don't count it applying to everyone.
Having a plated, unplate-able bike is like sex and credit!!

Some get it and others don't.

Just got my renewal from the DMV for 2014!!!

Nice bike Perry!!

Kali Trailrider screwed with this post 07-12-2013 at 10:18 AM
Kali Trailrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:28 AM   #69
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post

^^ This...

Congrats Perry, you got lucky.

At the bottom of this page is the database listing by year of all on-road and off-road certifications from CARB:
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/cert/cert.php#5

Here is the PDF for the 2006 KTM XC and EXC models showing they are designated OFMC - off road motorcycle. So whoever issued a plate for your non-cert model didn't bother to look up whether it was legal to do so.
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/cert/ofhrv/ofmcatv_comply/2006/ktm_ofmc_um0110009_510-448-398-250.pdf
If you look under the 'on hiway' certification listings for 2006 KTM you find the 625/640 and the 950. The 250/450/525 EXC's are greensticker, the XC's are red sticker.

However the bike you plated does not have the certifications nor labeling to be legally licenses for hiway.
Here is the emissions sticker requirment documentation from CARB. Obviously your DMV agent didn't check for the compliance sticker, even though this is something they are REQUIRED to do.
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/offroad/orrec/ohrv_regs.pdf#page=12

I'm not busting anyone's chops either, if you get one great. Just don't assume that everyone can walk into a DMV with a non-cert bike and get a plate. Also don't be surprised if someone catches it on an internal audit and rescinds it. I do not know what kind of auditing process CARB has in place for DMV transactions.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:57 AM   #70
theGrinch
SNF Dream Riders

Oddometer: 1,979
Cool2

His bike like mine will be a clapped out POS by the time any CARB fools get around to pulling plates.
Their to bizzy on their smartphones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvance View Post
Who's the clueless noob?
theGrinch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #71
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Quote:
Originally Posted by theGrinch View Post
His bike like mine will be a clapped out POS by the time any CARB fools get around to pulling plates.
Their to bizzy on their smartphones.

Hahahahahahahaha, true dat!

Peter, you should be driving right now, it's a long way to SNF!
And I don't mean SQNF.

Let's ride buddy, Brrrrrraaaaappppppppp!
Old 01-24-2014, 12:10 PM   #72
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,243
I can't vouch for the poster, but just a heads up. YMMV......

"***To all converted street legal enduro wr450 xr650 crf450 buyers*** (All California)
This is a heads up to anyone potentially buying a dirt bike converted to street legal in this great state of California.

I recently purchased two street legal converted dirt bikes A 2006 CRF450X and a 2005 WR450F. Went to transfer title at DMV and they informed me that they have changed their policy on converted bikes and forced me to take them both to Brake and lamp inspections (120$ each bike) and to highway potrol which in turn deemed them unable to be able to be on the street due to the fact that the factory emissions sticker does not comply with on highway and off road use. Also the factory build sticker must state on Highway and off road use. Even though they both had green stickers and current plates. DMV said they sent out let's last year to all the owners of converted bikes to bring them in for their inspections (removal of the plate)

Now I'm out all that money and they reclaim the plates.

So please keep that in mind when buying a converted ti street legal honda xr650 xr600 yamaha wr450f wr450 wr250 crf450r crf450x crf xr wr 450 etc. "

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/4289185379.html

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:04 PM   #73
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Ron View Post

"***To all converted street legal enduro wr450 xr650 crf450 buyers*** (All Kommifornia)
This is a heads up to anyone potentially buying a dirt bike converted to street legal in this great state of California.

I recently purchased two street legal converted dirt bikes A 2006 CRF450X and a 2005 WR450F. Went to transfer title at DMV and they informed me that they have changed their policy on converted bikes and forced me to take them both to Brake and lamp inspections (120$ each bike) and to highway potrol which in turn deemed them unable to be able to be on the street due to the fact that the factory emissions sticker does not comply with on highway and off road use. Also the factory build sticker must state on Highway and off road use. Even though they both had green stickers and current plates. DMV said they sent out let's last year to all the owners of converted bikes to bring them in for their inspections (removal of the plate)

So please keep that in mind when buying a converted ti street legal honda xr650 xr600 yamaha wr450f wr450 wr250 crf450r crf450x crf xr wr 450 etc. "

fixed. KTM's not affected? would'nt it be considered racist to single out Japanese bikes?

pcvance screwed with this post 01-24-2014 at 01:16 PM
pcvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:35 AM   #74
Off Limits
Thread killer

Oddometer: 3,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Ron View Post

"***To all converted street legal enduro wr450 xr650 crf450 buyers*** (All California)

Maybe this guy works for ktm? Bad pr?
Old 01-25-2014, 11:43 AM   #75
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,478
if you get it figured out, you can try this....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=948401

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote