Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2013, 06:39 AM   #31
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk900dc View Post
still loving it, anyone else notice the 2012 models have blacked out engines parts? I just think the bike as a whole looks very nice, maybe sexy even. I keep opening the garage door to check it out, It is my first bike (that I own) afterall. Gotta finish this 600 mile engine break in soon.
Yeah, I think the blacked-out bikes look sweet.

Congratulations man; enjoy that thing!
Old 07-11-2013, 11:26 AM   #32
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
still loving it, anyone else notice the 2012 models have blacked out engines parts? I just think the bike as a whole looks very nice, maybe sexy even. I keep opening the garage door to check it out, It is my first bike (that I own) afterall. Gotta finish this 600 mile engine break in soon.
I've said several times that I really like the look of the latest KLR's. I like the colors and engine black out treatment. The DR's haven't changed a bit other than a couple different colors. Pretty boring.

What surprised me when Kawasaki did the up grade on the KLR in '08, was how little they did. The KLR can't be sold in most of the EU and hasn't been for about 7 to 8 years.

Why did Kawasaki NOT upgrade to F.I.? With F.I. MPG would probably go up by at least 20% ... maybe more. Also, with F.I. the bike could most likely pass Euro 3 emissions. Kawi could re-introduce the KLR to Europe, maybe could have been big sales?

Of course Kawi could have done much more beyond F.I. But obviously they did not want to put in the money for additional R & D. But why? Were they afraid to mess with a successful formula? Or was it purely money? The KLR is way overdue for a totally new Motor, like something based on the KX450F race bike. Obviously de-tuned and mellow for ADV long range duty. Kawi has the tech. The chassis too, is pathetic really. Heavy and not all that strong. A modern chassis could transform the bike and bring it into the 21st Century ... and blow KTM, BMW and Husky out of the water. It's an over due move, IMHO.

At some point both the KLR and the DR650 will have to go with F.I. to pass ever more stringent USA EPA regs. Will the companies do this ? ... or just drop the model and start over?
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:59 PM   #33
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,732
It is all about money, though you would think the ability to get back into markets that are now closed would make it worth while.

Kawasaki had their shot, they even had the bike to do it with, a KLX 650c. They did not sell mainly because they were priced 20% more than a KLR and the dirt version was competing with the XR650r.

Compared to the KLR, it was a modern engine. No Do Hicky with its heavy balancer chain drug over its several sprockets to suck up power. A modern free flowing head making the whole engine more compact. The dirt version had a nikasil cylinder.

Higher compression along with FI could easily make Terra like HP.

itsatdm screwed with this post 07-11-2013 at 05:14 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:38 PM   #34
Hawk900dc OP
Dual Sport Intitiate

Oddometer: 33
Some interesting convo's here, Does make me wonder why there isnt any kind of advanced single cylinder KLR650 with F.I., seems like if they made one boosted the price and added more advanced tech to it that it would sell. KLR 650's already have a big following, hell I'd buy something like that if it was different enough from the current KLR 650.

Seems like the only other advanced single cylinder adventure type bike I hear about is the Beamer.

Really though, how much do you think the price would go up if they added a F.I. engine, reworked suspension and made a more advanced gauge cluster? perhaps a generous thousand?
Old 07-11-2013, 05:52 PM   #35
munsterlander
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Does make me wonder why there isnt any kind of advanced single cylinder KLR650 with F.I., seems like if they made one boosted the price and added more advanced tech to it that it would sell.

I found my answer to that question in the Suzuki V-strom 650. Riding my DR650 I realized I was mostly commuting and light touring, with a few forest service roads, etc. I got off my DR and two seconds later got on the Wee for a test drive. Wow, what a difference, it blew me away. Nicer to ride ergonomics, smooth, quiet, no choke,....
So... fuel injection, check.... smooth twin cylinders, check.... bullet-proof engine (no doo hickey etc) . Great commuter/tourer/dual sport... there may be others better at one of those, or a slightly different combination of riding than what I do, but for me a good fit. You can get good deals on used ones.
munsterlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:25 PM   #36
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by munsterlander View Post
I found my answer to that question in the Suzuki V-strom 650. Riding my DR650 I realized I was mostly commuting and light touring, with a few forest service roads, etc. I got off my DR and two seconds later got on the Wee for a test drive. Wow, what a difference, it blew me away. Nicer to ride ergonomics, smooth, quiet, no choke,....
So... fuel injection, check.... smooth twin cylinders, check.... bullet-proof engine (no doo hickey etc) . Great commuter/tourer/dual sport... there may be others better at one of those, or a slightly different combination of riding than what I do, but for me a good fit. You can get good deals on used ones.
The 650 V-Strom is a great bike. I've ridden them many miles. I owned a
'02 DL1000, 90,000 miles, lots of off road in places I had no business being.

The Wee is better off road ... but it's no DR650 or KLR. Any sort of deep sand, mud or steep road will have you in trouble. Putting on TKC80's really helps but you've still got a Low ground clearance street bike that does NOT crash well and is a handful in any sort of technical riding. Been there, done it.

I love the Stroms on highway and they rock even on really bad paved roads. But if exploring in unknown territory use caution when off road.
All that said the Wee is one of THE most popular ADV bikes ... lots have gone RTW and crossed continents.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:36 PM   #37
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,495
I've dreamed about owning a KLR for about a year. Finally got a gen1 just over a month ago. I absolutely LOVE IT. Its perfect for what I need. I've put more miles on the beast in just over a month than I did on my learner bike that I owned for 2 years, granted it was a 1980 250 and not capable of highway Lol. Im completely satisfied with it but im already looking to get a second bike... A Vstrom650
One Fat Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:20 AM   #38
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,544
klr's take a few thousand miles to smooth out when new. do the "doo", even on the new ones. be sure to service the forks, especially Gen I, the dealers always go short on fluid & fork oil level is critical.... fill with springs removed, forks collapsed.... 170mm for Gen 1, 135mm for Gen II

research the 22 cent mod, consider a 685 for little boost & a smoother engine. buy Ricor valves for the forks when you can.... don't bother changing the springs. a better seat & rear shock are on the list too
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:42 AM   #39
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
klr's take a few thousand miles to smooth out when new. do the "doo", even on the new ones. be sure to service the forks, especially Gen I, the dealers always go short on fluid & fork oil level is critical.... fill with springs removed, forks collapsed.... 170mm for Gen 1, 135mm for Gen II

research the 22 cent mod, consider a 685 for little boost & a smoother engine. buy Ricor valves for the forks when you can.... don't bother changing the springs. a better seat & rear shock are on the list too
Personally, im content with the power and the way the bike is now. Im not a huge wrench head like most guys on here, killed too many brain cells. I don't wanna mess with the airbox, and the 685 kit sounds expensive. I MIGHT get it done when the engine starts wearing.

The forks.on the other hand, i want to get serviced soon. Im a big guy, 240lbs, and i don't know when or if the PO ever maintained them. He said he did a lot of stuff to the bike but going through some simple items its.clear ue did not. Not sure about the ricor springs, im not huge into offroad and they're expensive as shit
Old 07-12-2013, 02:17 AM   #40
Hawk900dc OP
Dual Sport Intitiate

Ahh the Vstrom650, I do like the new 2012 model. Put alot of thought into it and even came close to wanting that as my first bike instead of a KLR. I came back to loving the DR650 so much because it was so light and easy to push out of the garage, around my truck, fire up and roll into town (1 mile trip to gym,work,grocery store). The Strom would be more powerful and comfortable but it would be more difficult to manuever around my one car driveway and garage. I like the KLR because its still light and easy to push around but it has a little more highway happiness for my trips. For my future bike? im def with you on the Vstrom 650 (prefer 2012 up) but that may have to wait till after kids and wife . HA!
Old 07-12-2013, 02:18 AM   #41
Hawk900dc OP
Dual Sport Intitiate

Bassplay, you didnt want the new KLR?
Old 07-12-2013, 02:42 AM   #42
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Bassplay, you didnt want the new KLR?
not really. I like the look, they're sexy like you said. But just too much fairing for my taste I guess. First gens are a little more simple. Plus im still learning how to wrench. I wanted something older for that. Lastly, the newer models were out of my budget Lol
Old 07-12-2013, 03:08 AM   #43
TheBlurr
Banned

Oddometer: 5,588
Riding position is subjective, as are seats and ergonomics in general, my zx6r is bar none the most comfortable bike I have ridden thus far FOR ME, I can easily ride all day and feel relaxed at the end of the day. The forward seating position of a sportbike alleviates pressure on your back and tail bone something which upright seating actually increases, there is a reason sport touring bikes have you leaning slightly forward,it takes away pressure and distributes it more evenly to your arms legs and torso.

The KLR 08 on up has far better wind protection and with that alone makes it a much nicer ride down the highway. you can ride a KLR in high winds, behind a tractor trailer and not be tossed all over like on a DR, the seat is also wider and more comfy (subjective) but probably could be better, As mentioned though it is not a substantial upgrade.

Edit: just noticed the Op bought a KLR, congratulations, how bout some pics?
Also not seeing the reasoning yet to buy a rear shock, front fork I will probably be re valving it does seem to dive fairly easy but nothing I have notice anywhere near bottoming out and I weigh in at 210 without gear.

TheBlurr screwed with this post 07-12-2013 at 06:14 AM
TheBlurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #44
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post

Those are some great tips.

What sort of feed back do you hear from owners who've gone to the 685 Kit? What sort of miles are guys getting on the rebuild? Is the new cylinder a coated, Nikasil type? Cast or Forged Piston? Options?

The stock Suzuki DR650 cylinder is coated with Suzuki's patented version of Nikasil (called SCEM (Suzuki Composite Electrochemical Material).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikasil

This combined with the incredible Suzuki SACS Oil/Air cooling system, makes the DR pretty long lived and BULLET Proof.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_...Cooling_System
Old 07-12-2013, 06:14 PM   #45
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,544
everybody that does the 685 says the same thing.... smoother, a bit more power. I have installed about a dozen, including my own bike. maybe 35,000 miles on my '05 with 13,000 miles on the piston kit. oil use is minimal. I did some head work, jetting, airbox & a pipe. it pulls noticibly stronger than stock, especially when loaded and puling uphill. the 16 tooth countershaft makes true 75mph an easy all day deal. the extra power makes the 16 tooth a non issue in the dirt. I kept the stock compression ratio so I can burn regular

the aftermarket pistons are forged, the stock cylinder barrel is plain steel, but you need a '96 or newer to have enough meat to do the bore. there is a 705 piston too.... not worth it unless you feel like getting silly... it's only 13 cc bigger and requires a different sleve.

my advise is if the engine is running fine & not burning oil, leave it alone. put the money into the suspension. Ricor valves make the front end totally different.

if you want more opinions about the 685/688/705 go to some of the klr boards,,,, I have never heard a bad thing about one that was properly installed
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote