Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 53 votes, 4.40 average. Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 07:51 AM   #29956
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
That's my plan, but I got the Klein from an inmate with the intention of taking it on RAGBRAI and I've spent the last six months getting it ready (though I won't say if it's been done correctly ). The LHT was an unexpected purchase so I haven't had time to play with it much. If I had a few hundred extra dollars on me I would be tempted to run around town to get the shoes and saddle and pedals etc but I have to make sure I have money for the trip!
Money for food. That doesn't change, with either bike. And, roll self-supported. Your legs will appreciate the workout.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:54 AM   #29957
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Money for food. That doesn't change, with either bike. And, roll self-supported. Your legs will appreciate the workout.
Maybe next year, assuming I don't die this year

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #29958
filmfan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
If it's an old generation Klein with straight-gauge 6061 tubing (like mine) the LHT will be more comfortable with its steel frame.
filmfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #29959
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 5,881
I'm actually wearing an old pair of jeans I'd stopped wearing because they were too tight.

The are comfy now.

My weight doesn't seem to change yet. Yet.
A year and a half ago I was down almost 20 pounds so I can do that again. I plan to get in some running which has in the past worked to affect my weight.

Plus I'm going to need to have some running under my belt for a cancer run I'm doing with my wife and daughters in September.

Now, another thing; that Garmin Connect site? Ack!
After Strava the Garmin site is nearly useless. And that pretty much tears it for my spending my money on another Garmin product. Next up? I'll have to look into options.

The FR70 HRM fit fine and was basically not noticeable. Setting it up is a bit fiddly. But, it worked. Getting it to move the data to Strava not so much.
Once I can work out the upload to Strava from the Sync site maybe I can use the data.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:34 PM   #29960
fz6kd7
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
I would add Tailwind Nutrition to that list. I've tried all make and manner of hydration mixes and each person should do the same to discover what works best with their body over many miles. The Cytomax was okay for me but it was absolutely necessary to keep it cold. If it heated up, it would outgas in my bottles and created a bloating problem for me on long days in the saddle. It also makes for a rather gross science project in your bottles if not cleaned out immediately post-ride. I don't have to worry with any of that since switching to Tailwind.

I use Osmo nutrition recovery powder mixed with almond milk immediately post-ride and/or a Coke or Sprite. I know this will flare up some of the rec riders... but you should really avoid any alcoholic drinks post-ride for at least a few hours while your body replenishes and recovers. (more so on very intense rides or training sessions than a group social ride or rec ride)
thanks for both of those products

can you feel a obvious result on the osmo recovery drink or is it a more subtile effect?

looks like i may try all the osmo products, this time of year is not the best
to get back into cycling in vegas, so i cycle only after sundown right now
fz6kd7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:45 PM   #29961
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,496
Just ordered the small pack of Lemon Tailwind. I'll give it a shot when it shows up. I've been using Accelerade for years (and the big jug seems to last that long), but don't mind trying something else out.

Nuun tablets seems to work well for me, too, but I often just use water to refill once I'm out and about.

I've got a buddy that swears by Skratch Labs, but he's also a Rapha nut and bakes his own energy bars and you know what they say about them...
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:01 PM   #29962
Ridge
power 2 the pedal

Oddometer: 1,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by fz6kd7 View Post
thanks for both of those products

can you feel a obvious result on the osmo recovery drink or is it a more subtile effect?

looks like i may try all the osmo products, this time of year is not the best
to get back into cycling in vegas, so i cycle only after sundown right now
That's really subjective to each individual. I usually feel tightness in my muscles for a day or so after particularly hard training rides or races. That feeling subsides as soon as I get on the bike and turn the pedals over for a few miles. The Osmo (or any recovery drink for that matter) is more for replenishing the glycogen and protein I used up during the session. This is more critical when I'm racing in omniums or back-to-back daily crits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
Just ordered the small pack of Lemon Tailwind. I'll give it a shot when it shows up.
I mix it two servings each per 24oz bottle. It's very easy to modulate the strength to your liking as it's a light flavor.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:13 PM   #29963
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 12,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post

I've got a buddy that swears by Skratch Labs, but he's also a Rapha nut and bakes his own energy bars and you know what they say about them...
+1 on Skratch.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:37 PM   #29964
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,496
Quote:
That's really subjective to each individual. I usually feel tightness in my muscles for a day or so after particularly hard training rides or races. That feeling subsides as soon as I get on the bike and turn the pedals over for a few miles. The Osmo (or any recovery drink for that matter) is more for replenishing the glycogen and protein I used up during the session. This is more critical when I'm racing in omniums or back-to-back daily crits.

I mix it two servings each per 24oz bottle. It's very easy to modulate the strength to your liking as it's a light flavor.
Gotcha. I usually go with about ~3/4 scoop of Accelerade per 24oz bottle of water. I'll play with the Tailwind to see what I like. I really prefer straight water, but when it heats up, I need the salt and the calories to get through the ride.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:01 PM   #29965
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 850
First of all, best of luck to kbasa (pics of ice cream at the top of Carson or it didn't happen!).

El Guero, if you should see LA on your jaunt across Iowa, give him an ADV salute for me. However, I'm sure his people will keep him well-insulated from the rabble.

Lastly, plain ol' chocolate milk has also been proven to be an effective recovery drink: http://www.utexas.edu/news/2011/06/22/milk_studies/
Old 07-12-2013, 02:15 PM   #29966
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 5,881
I use one NUUN tablet per big bottle, a little diluted yes, but I like it like that.
I've tried one flavor of Skratch and didn't find it terrible, but the packaging is tough to open and it is another long narrow bag to keep track of. The tablets in a snack size zip-lock are easy.
I carry one bag of Chomps on long rides. I also put them into a snack sized zip-lock bag. Way easier to open and close even while riding.

Then for that extra kick when I really need it I carry GU, the one with double caffeine in peach. Doesn't bother me, but I have always drank an whole big bottle of water with it. Good for about a half hour or so in the hundred degree heat for me.

When it is hot, I carry and re-fill one large bottle of water and one same size of NUUN. No cramps and I can keep going.

I'll do a light night tonight and leg massage, then hydrate well for a big ride tomorrow. I hope to be able to get a medium ride in Sunday as well. It is going to be a busy weekend.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:30 PM   #29967
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,024
Quote:
I would add Tailwind Nutrition to that list. I've tried all make and manner of hydration mixes and each person should do the same to discover what works best with their body over many miles. The Cytomax was okay for me but it was absolutely necessary to keep it cold. If it heated up, it would outgas in my bottles and created a bloating problem for me on long days in the saddle. It also makes for a rather gross science project in your bottles if not cleaned out immediately post-ride. I don't have to worry with any of that since switching to Tailwind.

I use Osmo nutrition recovery powder mixed with almond milk immediately post-ride and/or a Coke or Sprite. I know this will flare up some of the rec riders... but you should really avoid any alcoholic drinks post-ride for at least a few hours while your body replenishes and recovers. (more so on very intense rides or training sessions than a group social ride or rec ride)
They've (Osmo) got that hyper hydrytion (sic),have you also tried that ?
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:02 AM   #29968
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,327
Best ride this season last night and I really wasn't going for it - 25 miles @ 17.5.

Something Kbasa said the other day stuck in my head - something about going into the red zone on hills and then never being able to really recover. Yesterday I went up the hills as slowly as I could - all the time trying to keep my legs from hurting (too much). I then hammered it on the downhill and flat. Worked a treat I was tired at the end but I only bonked about a mile from home and then not too badly.

Need to try it a few times to see if this theory holds up but it sure did yesterday.

So, a question for you racers, when you do get to the top of a hill legs are full of LA, on the downhill is it better to pedal (slowly or otherwise) or just rest your legs
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:40 AM   #29969
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Best ride this season last night and I really wasn't going for it - 25 miles @ 17.5.

Something Kbasa said the other day stuck in my head - something about going into the red zone on hills and then never being able to really recover. Yesterday I went up the hills as slowly as I could - all the time trying to keep my legs from hurting (too much). I then hammered it on the downhill and flat. Worked a treat I was tired at the end but I only bonked about a mile from home and then not too badly.

Need to try it a few times to see if this theory holds up but it sure did yesterday.

So, a question for you racers, when you do get to the top of a hill legs are full of LA, on the downhill is it better to pedal (slowly or otherwise) or just rest your legs
Yeah, I do that on the mountain bike--I call it 'tractor mode.'

Racers maintain the effort all the way over the top until a tuck is better going down the other side. I have done some slow circles whilst in a tuck.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:56 AM   #29970
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
I'm actually wearing an old pair of jeans I'd stopped wearing because they were too tight.

The are comfy now.

My weight doesn't seem to change yet. Yet.
A year and a half ago I was down almost 20 pounds so I can do that again. I plan to get in some running which has in the past worked to affect my weight.

Plus I'm going to need to have some running under my belt for a cancer run I'm doing with my wife and daughters in September.

Now, another thing; that Garmin Connect site? Ack!
After Strava the Garmin site is nearly useless. And that pretty much tears it for my spending my money on another Garmin product. Next up? I'll have to look into options.

The FR70 HRM fit fine and was basically not noticeable. Setting it up is a bit fiddly. But, it worked. Getting it to move the data to Strava not so much.
Once I can work out the upload to Strava from the Sync site maybe I can use the data.
There really isn't much else GPS computer-wise that uploads unless you hit up the UK shops and get a Brighton.Garmin blocked em from selling em in the US. Even more reason to buy one!

...and you don't HAVE to upload to either strava or garmin connect. There's several other sites: Golden Cheetah, Training Peaks, etc

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: