Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2013, 10:52 PM   #36496
BluePill
AARP Slacker

Oddometer: 4,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichaced View Post
I have a mere 13k on my '11 and also am not a mechanic, so consider my ignorance when I suggest CO adjustment or TPS setting. Could there be some other parameter in the speedo unit that needs resetting for the "new" motor?
Since the engine was out of the frame, I would also check all your electrical connectors - especially the sensors. I like to spray a bit of WD40 into both ends of the connection, then blow some compressed air to clean out any crud. Look closely at the pins and sockets of each connector for signs of any damage or mis-alignment.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:38 AM   #36497
AdvRich
Parallel Reality

Oddometer: 1,826
Nice selection

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymorr View Post
Makeover kit...

Post a pic or two when you get 'er all done up.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:40 AM   #36498
AdvNener
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
So.. "new" owner of a 2009 (or 2008 leftover, who knows) wr250x since a year now.

I was planning a small bike "just to have it and commute sometimes", because not much time and money any more to ride a big road bike, but couldn't stand to not have a bike at all.

Well thanks to that damned wr250x, that goal is not completely filled. About 7000km (not a lot but more than i was planning), and now I can only think of riding more and add farkles, especially since I have started reading this thread.

Previous owner had done following mods:
- exup remove and leovince exhaust
- some aftermarkets mirrors
-bt003rs tires (which are very very nice on road (of course)) soon dead

I added:
- tutoro chain oiler (chain always clean and lubed, fill it very 600-1200km... what else? Hum yes, dirty rear rim and swingarm, and if you place it like i did the small oil tank will certainly break off-road without additionnal protection)
- tusk bar risers (30 mm) and d-flex handguards
- adapted my former sprint st tankbag as "rear bag".
- cheap 5V usb outlet

0 Experience offroad, I do 30% mileage commuting to work sometimes (downtown and 90 kph/110 kph highway), 30% small rides on small Provence paved roads and 30% bigger rides on weekends (ok that's only two 1000km rides).
95% on road and rarely I find an unpaved farm road, go there at 30 kph and feel like i'm running the Dakar (it's a much smaller/dense country here so open roads are quite all paved)

I just love how the bike is light and simple.

A few crappy picts taken with my crappy phone yesterday, I was in mood to take the bike to go to work, was very early so choose to get lost off the highway and found a small unpaved road crossing the Arc (small river). I forgot to read the "private road" panel and stopped on the bridge.

http://gdurl.com/Z7QN

and with some sun in the face

http://gdurl.com/YK-u

Like I said now I'm thinking skid plate, aftermarket seats, front fairing, rear rack, etc etc... But the goal (girlfriend is watching ) is not to spend too much money, so I think I'm just going to buy new tires (maybe the BT again, or diablo rosso 2) and gas... and ride.
As an addition, the bike didn't sell well at all here in Europe, so no used parts to find near my location and brand new farkles mostly need to come all the way from USA.

Any way I would buy it again.

Many thanks to all posters here, lots of pretty pics and confidence added when dealing with (very little!) maintenance and settings on the bike

AdvNener screwed with this post 07-12-2013 at 09:33 AM
AdvNener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:59 AM   #36499
AdvRich
Parallel Reality

Congrats on the new wheels Levain.

Mine had the FMF on it too and it was just too loud. Stocker is a bit heavy, but its quiet and no rebuild or worry if it gets soaked. Opening up the air box let the little bugger rev nicely and adds a nice tone to the ride without too much added noise.

I run the Moose Racing Pro skid plate. Not noisy like I've heard the aluminum ones can be and has taken some good hits with no problems... light too.

+1 on bumping up the controller #5 position to 6 or above.

The rear racks do add some weight, but they also provide some protection like front crash bars would and make easy grab handles to move the bike around. Also smaller packs can be mounted for day rides and the like as well as tool tube, fuel, water, etc on an extended left side mount.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:06 AM   #36500
AdvRich
Parallel Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftystrat62 View Post
Can anyone tell me if the 2 hard rubber rollers that the chain is guided over(drive chain tensioners?) should be grooved like this? I've got 4k on the bike and want to change them while I have it apart,assuming that they shouldn't be this worn.

[IMG] photo DSCN2330_zpsa91596ca.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG] photo DSCN2329_zps672a3598.jpg[/IMG]
How's the sag setting for the rear shock? Might need more preload to reduce any extra squat the might be contributing to the roller contact and wear.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:50 AM   #36501
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill View Post
If it were me . . .
- Skid plate . . . I'm sure the plastic one is fine for hits directly to the bottom of the bike, but the "actual" aftermarket aluminum plates have ears on them to help protect the sides of the engine case a little bit. I like have that little bit of extra protection . . . but it's up to you.
My Moose Racing one has very good coverage.

UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:54 AM   #36502
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvRich View Post
How's the sag setting for the rear shock? Might need more preload to reduce any extra squat the might be contributing to the roller contact and wear.
That sounds like a good suggestion,I never set up the sag-kept it the same from first owner who was my size-but I load it up occasionally to camp.That may be where the wear is coming from.
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:56 AM   #36503
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 2,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahFox View Post
My Moose Racing one has very good coverage.

good looking bike!!!
Old 07-12-2013, 07:00 AM   #36504
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
good looking bike!!!
Thanks. It's set up a little differently now, here's a current shot next to my buddies XT...

UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:53 AM   #36505
johninlv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
"In an attempt to self diagnose (I'm no mechanic) I went in and opened up the top end. Since I was in there I replaced the piston, rings and timing chain. Of course this didn't do anything for the problem."

Your new piston is tight in the bore. Will brake in in time. Keep ridding it dont over heat it and change the oil often. might try a lighter weight oil. Had the same thing happen on and old BSA single.

Might raise the idle speed to save wear on the starter.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:09 AM   #36506
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 784
Just an observation, but holy crap there are a lot of wr owners who also own Yamaha xt225's! My self included. Why does everybody else keep theirs? I keep mine as the wife/buddy/winter/ rock solid reliable donkey bike.
woofer2609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #36507
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Oddometer: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer2609 View Post
Just an observation, but holy crap there are a lot of wr owners who also own Yamaha xt225's! My self included. Why does everybody else keep theirs? I keep mine as the wife/buddy/winter/ rock solid reliable donkey bike.
Mine is my wife's bike. I would like to get her on a WR but it is really too tall. I would have to start with a WR250X and lower it in order to make it comfortable. I really think that the Super Sherpa is a better bike than the XT225 but they are harder to find. I used to own a Super Sherpa before I met my wife and I loved it.
2008 SYM HD200
duanew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:52 PM   #36508
Sewerat
Cert. bike whore

Oddometer: 1,362
Just got the gf a dr200. Good bike for her, again would like a wr but too tall. I think the new xt250 might be the replacement bike in the future.

I ain't fully crazy, just crazy enough!
Sewerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:22 PM   #36509
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by duanew1 View Post
Mine is my wife's bike. I would like to get her on a WR but it is really too tall. I would have to start with a WR250X and lower it in order to make it comfortable. I really think that the Super Sherpa is a better bike than the XT225 but they are harder to find. I used to own a Super Sherpa before I met my wife and I loved it.
If she is learning / vertically challenged look at a TW200.
My wife is 5` 3" and the TW is her first bike.

fat fingered on a droid
tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:37 PM   #36510
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 940
Question

Hey guys,
I'm thinking of putting the FMF Q4 S/A Silencer on my 08 WRR. Will it be worth it w/o a programmer? I'm looking for more grunt (like everyone else, LOL).
Thanks -
kawagumby is offline   Reply With Quote