Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2013, 11:00 AM   #1
NICO OP
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Oddometer: 22,842
Need help finding brushes for vintage Powr-Kraft sander/polisher.

It was my dad's and I really don't want to throw the thing out over a set of brushes that can't cost but a few dollars.

Powr-Kraft 6" sander/polisher.
Model #TPC-8526A.
Sold at Monkey Wards "way back in the day".

I can't find anything online for this thing. Not so much as an image.

Thanks.
NICO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:17 AM   #2
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,253
I've made brushes for small motors & even alternators by sanding down a larger brush.

you just have to find a donor that has the pigtail in the right spot. find a shop that rebuilds automotive electrical.... they might even have something that drops right in.

post a pic of the old one
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #3
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 785
Sears might be a good bet if they sold something similar, I was able to get parts from them online for a 40 YO drill press I inherited from my own father and the price was very reasonable...

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...raftsman-Parts
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:27 AM   #4
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,222
Good hardware stores usually have motor brushes in the area with all the drawers of hardware.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:37 AM   #5
NICO OP
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
I've made brushes for small motors & even alternators by sanding down a larger brush.

you just have to find a donor that has the pigtail in the right spot. find a shop that rebuilds automotive electrical.... they might even have something that drops right in.

post a pic of the old one
Might not be a bad idea. You looking for a pic of the brushes, I assume? There is no pigtail to note, just the brush/spring setup and the "housing" it slips into is hard-wired. I'll try to post something up this afternoon. Waiting on a plumber who is supposed to be here in 10 minutes. ( )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
Good hardware stores usually have motor brushes in the area with all the drawers of hardware.
This might be the best bet. Sort of embarrassed I hadn't thought of it. There is a great little place a couple minutes away, stores been there for 70+ years. Love going in to poke around.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:18 PM   #6
GreaseMonkey
Preshrunk & Cottony

Oddometer: 5,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post

This. Bring one of the old ones with you as sometimes the pigtails have slight differences and you'll have 3 identical brushes in a drawer with different spring attachments. Also, sometimes they come in different lengths so measure the brush holder before you go. As mentioned you can sand them down but if you ever have had to actually do it you'll find it is not as simple as it sounds.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:56 PM   #7
tvpierce
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post
This. Bring one of the old ones with you as sometimes the pigtails have slight differences and you'll have 3 identical brushes in a drawer with different spring attachments. Also, sometimes they come in different lengths so measure the brush holder before you go. As mentioned you can sand them down but if you ever have had to actually do it you'll find it is not as simple as it sounds.
+1

And if they don't have what you need at the hardware store, look up electrical motor/alternator rebuild places in your area. I have one across the street from my work that specializes in rebuilding power tools.

If you have a problem finding what you need, PM me and I'll walk over there next week and see if they have what you need based on your model number.

"But I had the right of way!" makes a pretty crappy epitaph.
tvpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:00 AM   #8
NICO OP
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Thanks for all the suggestions, folks. I found a set that work perfectly at the local hardware store. $7 and the old lump is working like new. Gotta love old, well-built tools.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:12 AM   #9
NICO OP
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Oh yeah, the tool pr0n:

The old junk...

And the new shiny replacement...

She ain't much, but she's mine.