Commonist

Oddometer: 15,844
Heh - waiting for the check valve clearance bit
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:45 AM   #3062
Chuffa
TR650 Terra

Oddometer: 152
Out on the tracks today I heard the dreaded "crack" from the rear fender.

Undo the rear plastics...

Drill a hole for a zip tie...

Zip tie the pieces together...

I thought this was a problem for those with the heavy licence plate holder only. Not so. If you're hitting the trails & corrugated roads then you might want to get in there & put some reinforcing in place.

It looks like there is plenty of room back there to run some type of steel support plate/linkage from the rear fender to the steel frame & take the load off the plastics.

On the + side though - the Terra & I spent a great day in the mud
Chuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #3063
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Looks like a pattern forming here? I'm thinking some clever re-design of the sub frame/tail rack may be in order? I hope you guys can come up with something good ... that will hold up off road with luggage.

I can't imagine what would happen if a LD traveler was using a typical Top Box or good sized Tail pack. Travelers tend to "overload" ...even though most top boxes post a limit of something like 11 kgs. max load.
Most exceed that ... plus add on a GL or panniers to that.

Wonder how the Terra sub frame/tail will hold after a 1000 miles of washboard with 24 lbs. +/- mounted on the tail?
Thoughts? Ideas?
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:20 PM   #3064
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 8,400
The tail rack and the fender/plate holder are the problems. They are the plastic bits. The frame itself is pretty darn solid.

Perusing the BMW dealer this weekend, I saw that pendelum of a license plate holder on a few models. It needs to go.

Is this the same tail rack that was on the X-challenge?

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:23 PM   #3065
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
The tail rack and the fender/plate holder are the problems. They are the plastic bits. The frame itself is pretty darn solid.

Perusing the BMW dealer this weekend, I saw that pendelum of a license plate holder on a few models. It needs to go.

Is this the same tail rack that was on the X-challenge?

The X-Challenge did not have a tail rack stock.
The BMW accessory one was tubular steel with an aluminum plate as I recall (I had an SW Motech)

Its not the same rear fender as the X-Challenge either if that's what you meant.
They look similar, but are different.
It also had a similar but different honking/heavy plate holder.
My X-Challenge ate its rear fender into the rear wheel on day one, it was floppy as hell, but it never broke.
Ogre_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:33 PM   #3066
dr_rock
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Thank you for putting this thing through the tests and sharing the results. Look forward to seeing the luggage rack.

dr_rock screwed with this post 07-13-2013 at 06:08 AM
dr_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:41 PM   #3067
RuggedExposure
Now with more rugged

Oddometer: 1,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Looks like a pattern forming here? I'm thinking some clever re-design of the sub frame/tail rack may be in order? I hope you guys can come up with something good ... that will hold up off road with luggage.

I can't imagine what would happen if a LD traveler was using a typical Top Box or good sized Tail pack. Travelers tend to "overload" ...even though most top boxes post a limit of something like 11 kgs. max load.
Most exceed that ... plus add on a GL or panniers to that.

Wonder how the Terra sub frame/tail will hold after a 1000 miles of washboard with 24 lbs. +/- mounted on the tail?
Thoughts? Ideas?

Mine snapped off after several thousand miles of washboards with about 10lbs on the back. Vibrations are what kills it.
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:56 PM   #3068
farp
DualsportBC Rider

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post
Mine snapped off after several thousand miles of washboards with about 10lbs on the back. Vibrations are what kills it.
Same thing happened to me. The whole rear end broke off and was dangling by the tail light wires. After I got the replacement parts the fix was really simple. Take the mufflers and rack off and wrap about a dozen or so wraps of a good quality duct tape around the rear fender to support it. That's what I did and since then I've put about 3000 miles of washboard FSR and 4WD track on it. I frequently bottom the suspension but the duct tape fix has held up perfectly and the rear end is rock solid. The good news is that you can barely see it and unless you point it out to people they never even notice it. The simplest fixes are always the best and this one is about a simple as it gets. This fix is for the rear fender and tail light assembly only, it does not affect the rack. My rack broke off too. I had a Pelican case mounted on it and it was cantilevered out over the rear of the bike. The position and weight of the case put too much stress on the rack and it broke. I've replaced the Pelican case with a soft rack bag for a mountain bike. I bungee cord it to the rack as far forward as I can get it and so far (3000 miles of rough road) I've had no problems with it.

John
farp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:59 PM   #3069
RuggedExposure
Now with more rugged

Oddometer: 1,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by farp View Post
Same thing happened to me. The whole rear end broke off and was dangling by the tail light wires. After I got the replacement parts and the fix was really simple. Take the mufflers and rack off and wrap about a dozen or so wraps of a good quality duct tape around the rear fender to support it. That's what I did and since then I've put about 3000 miles of washboard FSR and 4WD track on it. I frequently bottom the suspension but the duct tape fix has held up perfectly and the rear end is rock solid. The good news is that you can barely see it and unless you point it out to people they never even notice it. The simplest fixes are always the best and this one is about a simple as it gets.

John
No no, I cut my tail off when the bike was new:

I'm talking about the actual rear rack:
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:16 PM   #3070
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_rock View Post
Thank you for putting this thing through the tests and sharing the results. Look forward to seeing the luggage rack.
Hey dr _Rock ... just a NOOB tip on ADV forum procedure regards quoting pics ... DON'T do it.

It's massive waste of bandwidth and serves no purpose in this case. Also slows down a thread for other readers. If you want to comment on something specific about one or two pics ... then no prob, but don't just randomly quote back 10 pics. Just make your comment. We all already saw the pics. I would go back and delete them from your post. Clean up your trash.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:44 AM   #3071
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,675
??? bandwidth police?

lol

Hey, thanks dr rock. I like seeing pics quoted like that. Sometimes I haven't seen the original post.

If there's ever a bandwidth or speed problem with the forum, I expect the administrator will change the nomenclature to prevent picture quoting.

Keep on keeping on.
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:09 AM   #3072
dr_rock
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Hey dr _Rock ... just a NOOB tip on ADV forum procedure regards quoting pics ... DON'T do it.

It's massive waste of bandwidth and serves no purpose in this case. Also slows down a thread for other readers. If you want to comment on something specific about one or two pics ... then no prob, but don't just randomly quote back 10 pics. Just make your comment. We all already saw the pics. I would go back and delete them from your post. Clean up your trash.
Duly note and you are right.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:11 AM   #3073
dr_rock
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafman60 View Post
??? bandwidth police?

lol

Hey, thanks dr rock. I like seeing pics quoted like that. Sometimes I haven't seen the original post.

If there's ever a bandwidth or speed problem with the forum, I expect the administrator will change the nomenclature to prevent picture quoting.

Keep on keeping on.
No it's cool. My quoted post added very little but consumed mucho space.
Keep on keeping on!
Old 07-13-2013, 06:16 AM   #3074
dr_rock
Adventurer

Tr650 owners, do you think build quality wise that this model might be a little soft? Pretty good sized plastic tail section that so far seems susceptible to cracking with load under vibration.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:24 AM   #3075
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 8,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_rock View Post
Tr650 owners, do you think build quality wise that this model might be a little soft? Pretty good sized plastic tail section that so far seems susceptible to cracking with load under vibration.
So far, the fender and the tail rack or the only soft sections I have found. If anything, the rest of the bike is solid to a fault. They could have saved a lot of weight by using aluminum, but the steel made it stronger and cheaper.

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote