Old 07-12-2013, 08:30 AM   #7486
skirecs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
Skitecs,

What year bike is it?
The sliver- is it slightly rounded one side? If that, then it is a part of a circlip. Is the retaining circlip missing from the lower weight and shaft in the pic?
Why was the cylinder honed- a part of a larger issue to have the motor apart?
When was the cam chain changed? Seems as though there has been more work done than the PO has let on to?
Change the bolt out.
Weights are not spring loaded if a newer model motor.
Check the cam timing as well as the counter weight timing. When the chain was put on it is possible they were all not correctly timed - hence the vibrations.

The motor is hard mounted - if the mounting bolts as tight that will not affect the vibrations.

It is a 93, forgot to say that. Burning oil, the guy sent it to the shop for valves and a hone. Probably a new chain then. I will check the cam chain tensioner, timing for both chains and replace that bolt.

the balance weights still have me worried though, seems like a lot of wobble for something that should very closely match the crank angle. Looks like it is missing that circlip, hopefully it is in the sump...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvklr View Post
Would be a good idea to change those sprockets to the newer type. I can't tell if those are worn or not, but the originals tend to wear fast. Good used ebay parts can be had cheap, new ones are't too bad.
What is the difference in sprockets?
thanks for the P/N
skirecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:39 AM   #7487
nvklr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by skirecs View Post
It is a 93, forgot to say that. Burning oil, the guy sent it to the shop for valves and a hone. Probably a new chain then. I will check the cam chain tensioner, timing for both chains and replace that bolt.

the balance weights still have me worried though, seems like a lot of wobble for something that should very closely match the crank angle. Looks like it is missing that circlip, hopefully it is in the sump...

What is the difference in sprockets?
thanks for the P/N
You noticed on yours, as I understand this, (I haven't looked at mine yet) the older ones are built out of several pieces including springs, I have no idea why. The newer ones are one piece solid units, less things to go wrong. I picked up a set of used sprockets (2007 parts) from fleabay recently for $29 shipped. YMMV
nvklr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:43 AM   #7488
skirecs
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvklr View Post
You noticed on yours, as I understand this, (I haven't looked at mine yet) the older ones are built out of several pieces including springs, I have no idea why. The newer ones are one piece solid units, less things to go wrong. I picked up a set of used sprockets (2007 parts) from fleabay recently for $29 shipped. YMMV
Yes, I just looked at the fiche, newer ones are solid mounted on the shaft instead of floating. I'll take a look around for some.

I'll get the shop manual, check the chains and timing and report back.

thanks guys
Old 07-12-2013, 08:52 AM   #7489
Woodenveins
Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlurr View Post
Apparently I am missing the add Images button
Woodenveins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:05 AM   #7490
Danger4u2
KX & CR 500 Rider

Oddometer: 591
Anyone notice we have 500 pages in this thread? 7492 replies.

Started by willys back in 11-19-2011, 09:43 AM.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #7491
Bear Archer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinroach View Post
Im pretty pissed at myself. Fukk. I went to the taco truck today and as I was leaving I decided to check my engine oil (im moving tomorrow and riding about 180 miles). I look at the glass and the oil level is barely above the window. WTF. I changed the oil and filter on the 18th of last month. Its NOT a burner. Or at least I thought it wasn't. Is that level low enough to cause damage? And if so what kind? Im super upset at myself for letting this happen. I guess I need to make a better habit of checking it.

On a side note, while I was at Wally's (I digging HATE Wally's with a passion but they have the oil I use, no one else in this tiny town does) I bought myself one of those ATV seatpads. Figured it would be useful on the trip tomorrow. Anyone else like or dislike these things?
I just bought a Saddleman adventure touring seat last week. Definitely worth the $333 paid for it. I got it from redzilla. Pretty fast and free shipping.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Bear Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:21 PM   #7492
dumbazz650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19

Previous head work was not done correctly, and the chain guide for the cam chain was mis-routed, causing the cam chain to grind away on the retainer bolt.

Best course of action is to replace the bolt, and check cam chain for excess wear. If that is the original cam chain, it's likely to be well past EOM stretch limit.

I had to fix one like that for a KLR bud. See pic below with guide (shoe) outside of socket.

Not sure about the sliver, but it does resemble a circlip - typically used to retain the balancer sprockets.

Highly recommend a very thorough inspection of those internals to ferret out any other gremlins from the PO.

dumbazz650 screwed with this post 07-12-2013 at 01:31 PM
dumbazz650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:48 PM   #7493
lakser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
I am thinking about joining the ranks of KLR owners.
Recently had a DRZ400SM stolen. before I bought the DRZ, I was considering a KLR, and after owning the DRZ ,I think the KLR might be the way to go.
Id like to do longer trips, and the KLR seems more well suited for that, as well as around town riding.

I would like a pre 08. both for looks and financial reasons. I read a few things about the newer model "using" oil, which i would like to avoid.

any tips on what to look out for when buying a pre 08 KLR.
especially ones with lower miles.
I am looking at an 05 right now with under 400 miles and i am wondering if this is more of a bad thing than good.

thanks all.
lakser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:49 PM   #7494
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinroach View Post
Im pretty pissed at myself. Fukk. I went to the taco truck today and as I was leaving I decided to check my engine oil (im moving tomorrow and riding about 180 miles). I look at the glass and the oil level is barely above the window. WTF. I changed the oil and filter on the 18th of last month. Its NOT a burner. Or at least I thought it wasn't. Is that level low enough to cause damage? And if so what kind? Im super upset at myself for letting this happen. I guess I need to make a better habit of checking it.

On a side note, while I was at Wally's (I digging HATE Wally's with a passion but they have the oil I use, no one else in this tiny town does) I bought myself one of those ATV seatpads. Figured it would be useful on the trip tomorrow. Anyone else like or dislike these things?

if you can still see oil in the view glass you are ok... it's when you can't see oil at all that's an issue.

How many miles have you put on the bike since your last oil change... dates don't really mean much. I changed my oil a month ago and had to redo it this week bc i reached 2k miles
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:46 PM   #7495
dumbazz650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakser View Post
Recently had a DRZ400SM stolen. before I bought the DRZ, I was considering a KLR, and after owning the DRZ ,I think the KLR might be the way to go.
Id like to do longer trips, and the KLR seems more well suited for that, as well as around town riding.

I would like a pre 08. both for looks and financial reasons. I read a few things about the newer model "using" oil, which i would like to avoid.

I am looking at an 05 right now with under 400 miles and i am wondering if this is more of a bad thing than good.

thanks all.
The 2008 models had changed up the piston and rings ... and they had a very high probability of burning oil. Most of that was corrected and certainly 2010 and later KLRs have demonstrated good reliability.

However, I much prefer the simplicity and parts availability of the 2007 and earlier bikes. (still have a few KLRs 2006, 1989, and 1987 in the garage :) 'cause I have multi bike syndrome ). The '05 was a good year, as good as any other.

I will say that the best upgrade for the KLR is the 685cc kit. More power, better reliability, and no oil use. More power and the 16 tooth countershaft sprocket makes it a snap to cruise 80-90 with highway traffic.

1) Assume the previous owner abused the bike and did poor maintenance. Unless you know the dude was anal about taking care of his/her bike.

2) Go look at every KLR that comes up on CL or other sales rag. But don't buy one until you've looked at, sat on, rode on, and drooled on at least 5-10 bikes. You'll be much better informed, and start to look for the obvious signs of abuse (gouges in the cases/frame, missing screws, parts, fasteners, worn out tires, brakes, chain, shredded plastics, meters, controls.)

3) Plan on resetting all of the maint: Change oil/filter, coolant, brake fluid, check/adjust valves, scrub, wash, and pimp the pig out with Eagle-Mike doohickey and etc.

4) Find a riding buddy nearby, either KLR or other dualsporter.
dumbazz650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:53 PM   #7496
Bear Archer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Do I still need to worry about the doohickey if I have a 2012 klr? Or are all klr acceptable to it failing

Bear Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:03 PM   #7497
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Archer View Post
Do I still need to worry about the doohickey if I have a 2012 klr? Or are all klr acceptable to it failing

The 2008+ models have a better designed lever, but the springs still were consistently too short. Many people say that the new doo is fine, but I do believe a few have had failures. Since you have to get in there to replace the spring, might as well replace the lever too.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:05 PM   #7498
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakser View Post

thanks all.
The first gens are also prone to oil consumption. It's hit or miss.

I have almost 20k miles on my 04 KLR, engine is 100% stock, never opened, thing still runs awesome, rolls right up to 65 on the highway, will go much faster if I wanted to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Archer View Post

The 07+ models have an upgraded doo, but it's never a bad idea to swap it with an EM doo.

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:51 PM   #7499
skirecs
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbazz650 View Post

Previous head work was not done correctly, and the chain guide for the cam chain was mis-routed, causing the cam chain to grind away on the retainer bolt.

Best course of action is to replace the bolt, and check cam chain for excess wear. If that is the original cam chain, it's likely to be well past EOM stretch limit.

I had to fix one like that for a KLR bud. See pic below with guide (shoe) outside of socket.

Not sure about the sliver, but it does resemble a circlip - typically used to retain the balancer sprockets.

Highly recommend a very thorough inspection of those internals to ferret out any other gremlins from the PO.

When I opened it up, the guide was in the right spot. So perhaps the valve job was completed, reinstalled incorrectly, bolt wore through, then opened again and put in the right spot?

I will measure the chain, it looked really nice though. I need a c clip on the dampener, I think i will take the weight and gear out and look, it seems really sloppy.

Might as well check under the clutch cover too for any surprises!
Old 07-12-2013, 04:28 PM   #7500
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post
if you can still see oil in the view glass you are ok... it's when you can't see oil at all that's an issue.

How many miles have you put on the bike since your last oil change... dates don't really mean much. I changed my oil a month ago and had to redo it this week bc i reached 2k miles
Barely 200-300 miles.

I just rode it 40 miles to my brothers and noticed I didn't have rear brakes. I got to my brothers and im leaking some kind of fluid. Its all over my tire, swingarm and rotor. I don't know what kind of fluid it is and I've never had an issue losing/leaking engine oil or any fluids before. There's a hose that's part of the evaporative system where it looks like the fluids coming from but i can't tell for sure. It's not the brake fluid because the resevoir is still mostly full.

The only thing i can think of is i overfilled the engine oil, but i don't know where the leak would originate from. I put just over 2 quarts of oil in it before i left today to top it off. I didn't lose any from the looks of the sight glass either. Im so confused
One Fat Roach is offline   Reply With Quote