ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #5341
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer
 
SAPB's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Rhode Island
Oddometer: 1,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
is Polypropylene = 5 come recycle time
Kind of sad, really. Just poking around on that site. They do have Rox risers @ $105 + $7.35 tax. Amazon, $70.16 with free shipping (Powersport Parts). Difference $42.19. That's roughly 10 gas tank fill ups.
__________________
C14 - CRF250L, always cleaned while it's raining

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:31 AM   #5342
Vspec
Adventurer
 
Vspec's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Oddometer: 80
13t sprocket which other bike?

I am thinking of adding a 13t to my parts order (all from the same store - they don't carry 250L specific parts) and I was wondering if I can substitute a sprocket from another bike (CRF 150, 250 etc)?
Vspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:39 AM   #5343
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer
 
SAPB's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Rhode Island
Oddometer: 1,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vspec View Post
I am thinking of adding a 13t to my parts order (all from the same store - they don't carry 250L specific parts) and I was wondering if I can substitute a sprocket from another bike (CRF 150, 250 etc)?
Not sure about cross referencing, but a JT (JTF1321.13) is what you want. Not sure of ship costs, and I just noticed going to Canada, a whole different animal. http://sprocketcenter.com/index.php/...-sprocket.html
__________________
C14 - CRF250L, always cleaned while it's raining

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:38 PM   #5344
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Dearborn MI
Oddometer: 1,419
Jucy Rumor

I dearly love my CRF250L.....but I might have to learn to love KTM...what? Well I was reading an issue of Motorcycle Travel & Leisure at Barnes & Noble. It had a discussion with a top level exec of KTM about the 390 naked bike they are making in their Indian facility. He was totally up front saying there is a "Dual Sport" version of the 390 (actually 375cc) IN PROCESS! The 390 that comes to the USA in October is 44 horsepower....so...imagine a CRF-like bike...a whole bunch lighter...with TWICE the horsepower.....hmmmm sounds tasty
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:55 PM   #5345
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer
 
SAPB's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Rhode Island
Oddometer: 1,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
I dearly love my CRF250L.....but I might have to learn to love KTM...what? Well I was reading an issue of Motorcycle Travel & Leisure at Barnes & Noble. It had a discussion with a top level exec of KTM about the 390 naked bike they are making in their Indian facility. He was totally up front saying there is a "Dual Sport" version of the 390 (actually 375cc) IN PROCESS! The 390 that comes to the USA in October is 44 horsepower....so...imagine a CRF-like bike...a whole bunch lighter...with TWICE the horsepower.....hmmmm sounds tasty
For what it's worth. I lurked on the KLX forum for quite a while, before deciding to go with the red bike. One guy over there who had a KTM, said that his bike conked out in the middle of nowhere. You can imagine the difficulty of getting it to where you could put it in a truck. The dealer couldn't figure it out, and had a tech fly over here from Europe. He couldn't figure it out either, and took the engine back to Austria. In the end, they just gave him another motor. Some of those, not sure the models, need the oil changed after every ride. Yeah, more power, less weight, but basically a street legal race bike. Do more research, ask around more. Probably has way better suspension right of the showroom floor, but you are paying a premium price. Just saying............

Edit: I have a pretty good memory, this is the last post by Ricky on the KLX forum. Not going to go through and find his post about the orange bike, ask him about orange: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=8072
__________________
C14 - CRF250L, always cleaned while it's raining

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf

SAPB screwed with this post 07-12-2013 at 02:11 PM
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:16 PM   #5346
Dago52
Adventurer
 
Dago52's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
For what it's worth. I lurked on the KLX forum for quite a while, before deciding to go with the red bike. One guy over there who had a KTM, said that his bike conked out in the middle of nowhere. You can imagine the difficulty of getting it to where you could put it in a truck. The dealer couldn't figure it out, and had a tech fly over here from Europe. He couldn't figure it out either, and took the engine back to Austria. In the end, they just gave him another motor. Some of those, not sure the models, need the oil changed after every ride. Yeah, more power, less weight, but basically a street legal race bike. Do more research, ask around more. Probably has way better suspension right of the showroom floor, but you are paying a premium price. Just saying............

Edit: I have a pretty good memory, this is the last post by Ricky on the KLX forum. Not going to go through and find his post about the orange bike, ask him: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=8072
I agree with the price, but you get what you pay for. I purchased my CRF for 5,000 OTD and have sunk around 1500 into mods. If I add suspension and possibly a big bore, you are looking at 8500-9000 total. Even with all the mods this bike will never have the power of the KTM. But you are correct about reliability. I also know that once you start doing engine mods to the CRF it will start to have maintanence issues as well. It all depends on how you are using the bike. I trailer my bike when we go ride and my max pavement trip is around 35 miles on some back roads. Otherwise I ride it up the street 3 miles and hit the trails.
__________________
2012 KTM 350 EXC-F the BEAST
Dago52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:23 PM   #5347
dalehazelton
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Hudson Valley
Oddometer: 47
Friend was going to buy a Husqvarna dual sport because prices were slashed onthem. Then he read they require a valve check every 600 miles. Bought a WR250 instead.
dalehazelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:50 PM   #5348
AeroCRF
n00b
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Madrid, Espaņa
Oddometer: 1
Curtain windscreen

Hi, riders,

Here is another good option for windscreen. itīs a real improvement for daily conmuting trips on the motorway.





AeroCRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:47 PM   #5349
nhrallyL
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Middleton, NH
Oddometer: 33
Just picked up a 2014 today!
nhrallyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:03 AM   #5350
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer
 
SAPB's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Rhode Island
Oddometer: 1,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroCRF View Post
Hi, riders,

Here is another good option for windscreen. itīs a real improvement for daily conmuting trips on the motorway.





Who makes that shield?
__________________
C14 - CRF250L, always cleaned while it's raining

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:24 AM   #5351
cat
Beastly Adventurer
 
cat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Durban, South Africa.
Oddometer: 1,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesurvivalist View Post
Last night I rode a friends crf250l and I really enjoyed it. There were a number of issues that bothered me though, can any of these be rectified with aftermarket parts.

Small fuel tank.
Normal. The only comparable bike that comes with a big tank is the Suzuki DR200.

Quote:
Weak and pulsating front brakes.
Yes. But, like others have said. these brake pads take some time to bed in. And you can get braided steel brake lines, a common mod.

Quote:
Handlebar grips seemes very narrow and made my hands to cramp quickly?
Well...who doesn't replace grips with aftermarket ones - just a few bucks.
__________________

cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:32 AM   #5352
cat
Beastly Adventurer
 
cat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Durban, South Africa.
Oddometer: 1,323
Good work on the windscreens, guys! Very good.


NB: KTM 390 is not one of the KTM race/competition engines, with low oil capacity and light valves and so on. It is based on the 200 engine, and there have been no reports of issues with the 200's. i know several people in India with them, no problems at all, more than a year since they got them. The 390 is a Duke - all road bikes, like the original Duke with the LC4 motor - also used in the 640 Adventure,...the 990. So the 390 Enduro is in the same range as those.
__________________

cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:15 AM   #5353
TNC
Candyass Camper
 
TNC's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Tejas
Oddometer: 4,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
For what it's worth. I lurked on the KLX forum for quite a while, before deciding to go with the red bike. One guy over there who had a KTM, said that his bike conked out in the middle of nowhere. You can imagine the difficulty of getting it to where you could put it in a truck. The dealer couldn't figure it out, and had a tech fly over here from Europe. He couldn't figure it out either, and took the engine back to Austria. In the end, they just gave him another motor. Some of those, not sure the models, need the oil changed after every ride. Yeah, more power, less weight, but basically a street legal race bike. Do more research, ask around more. Probably has way better suspension right of the showroom floor, but you are paying a premium price. Just saying............

Edit: I have a pretty good memory, this is the last post by Ricky on the KLX forum. Not going to go through and find his post about the orange bike, ask him about orange: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=8072
Well, having a well modded KLX, I'm obviously not in the orange camp...but...I ride with lots of guys who do have them and some who've had them for a very long time. They frequently go into the hinterlands on big rides that are tough as heck. I don't see KTM's dropping like flies out there when I go on similar rides. Most of these guys do their own service, and the bikes require a more frequent service regimen than mine, but not to a night/day level. I think that we may sometimes sing the praises a little too loudly about our KLX's, WRR's, and 250L's, and perhaps we condemn the KTM's a little too strongly on their service intervals. Many of the riders on these forums...WRR, 250L, KLX, etc...don't really need/want a KTM-level bike, but there are many of us who would enjoy one.

That said, while we're throwing out popular KTM ideas, I think that engine in the new 350 Freeride may have some of the greatest potential for an outstanding DS bike. That is an understressed, lower hp, higher torque engine that looks perfect for DS use. Currently it's in a chassis that might be a little too light for overall DS use, but that could be rectified by KTM if they went for that market. A pipe dream for sure, but I like what they did with that engine.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:22 AM   #5354
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Dearborn MI
Oddometer: 1,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
Well, having a well modded KLX, I'm obviously not in the orange camp...but...I ride with lots of guys who do have them and some who've had them for a very long time. They frequently go into the hinterlands on big rides that are tough as heck. I don't see KTM's dropping like flies out there when I go on similar rides. Most of these guys do their own service, and the bikes require a more frequent service regimen than mine, but not to a night/day level. I think that we may sometimes sing the praises a little too loudly about our KLX's, WRR's, and 250L's, and perhaps we condemn the KTM's a little too strongly on their service intervals. Many of the riders on these forums...WRR, 250L, KLX, etc...don't really need/want a KTM-level bike, but there are many of us who would enjoy one.

That said, while we're throwing out popular KTM ideas, I think that engine in the new 350 Freeride may have some of the greatest potential for an outstanding DS bike. That is an understressed, lower hp, higher torque engine that looks perfect for DS use. Currently it's in a chassis that might be a little too light for overall DS use, but that could be rectified by KTM if they went for that market. A pipe dream for sure, but I like what they did with that engine.
Sad that the USA never got a sniff of the Freeride
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:48 AM   #5355
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer
 
SAPB's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Rhode Island
Oddometer: 1,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
Sad that the USA never got a sniff of the Freeride
I'll be lucky if I don't kill myself on the CRF, I would have been toast by now if I had a KTM. Heck, if I had my C14 when I was 18, we wouldn't be posting back and forth at this time. I don't/can't ride like I used to any more, or maybe I should say I choose not to. Back when we were in our late teens/early 20's we were convinced we were invincible. I'm 60 now, so I'm using my lifelong experience to NOT crash. I'd rather live to ride tomorrow..........
__________________
C14 - CRF250L, always cleaned while it's raining

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014