Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2013, 09:20 AM   #16636
skirecs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
Here is how I start my 93 DR350S. It works every time, and it usually starts first kick.

Cold Start
  1. If temperature is below 50F, pull the choke.

HOT Start
  1. Rotate the motor using kick-start until you locate TDC.

Same, however on a cold start (first of the day) i kick it over 3 times with the choke out, decomp in, ignition off just to get the fuel moving and up into the choke passages, wet the intake tract a bit etc etc.

starts great
skirecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:28 AM   #16637
gladesteen
Padawan

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk900 View Post
Normally set around 1/3 of travel, so yes 3"....Not sure what year yours is, but rebound stock (a good starting place) is 8 clicks front, 3/4 turn out from fully turned in rear.

For reference, I have my 95SE set as follows (I am around 200lbs in riding clothes, after lunch).....

Front Racetech .043kg/mm springs, 15mm preload; Rear Eibach .76kg/mm spring, 2.5" sag, Kouba #2 (not for height adjustment). I went with 10W fork oil, did not rebuild the stock shock (yet). Didn't write down the rebound but that's easy to adjust on the fly.

Mark

ps: http://www.dirtrider.com/features/un...uspension-sag/

Thanks Mark!

Mine is 1991 S, the preload/rebound is just a slot for screwdriver. It doesnt click. I will set it about half way and go from there i guess.

mark
gladesteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:53 AM   #16638
gladesteen
Padawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMARK View Post
(a good starting place) is 8 clicks front, 3/4 turn out from fully turned in rear.
Just to be clear on this.....

Are you saying go full FIRM (rear) then a 3/4 turn forward = starting point.
Then from that point go 8 clicks forward (LOOSE) ?
Old 07-12-2013, 10:51 AM   #16639
markk900
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladesteen View Post
Just to be clear on this.....

Are you saying go full FIRM (rear) then a 3/4 turn forward = starting point.
Then from that point go 8 clicks forward (LOOSE) ?
Sorry I am making things confusing:

For the Front: turn the screw all the way in (max damping) then loosen it 8 clicks (may not apply to you but I would think you'd have this adjuster - check if there's a rubber cap at the bottom of either fork leg)

For the rear: turn the screw on the shock all the way in (to max damping), then loosen it 3/4 turn (no clicks).

Both of those settings are from my 1995SE manual.
markk900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:55 AM   #16640
gladesteen
Padawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by markk900 View Post
Sorry I am making things confusing:

For the Front: turn the screw all the way in (max damping) then loosen it 8 clicks (may not apply to you but I would think you'd have this adjuster - check if there's a rubber cap at the bottom of either fork leg)

For the rear: turn the screw on the shock all the way in (to max damping), then loosen it 3/4 turn (no clicks).

Both of those settings are from my 1995SE manual.

GOT IT
Thank you my friend.
I would assume we have the same also, but ill check for the rubber seal and do what you've suggested. I just did the SAG test and its sitting at 5 inches with me on it! 220lbs fully loaded. The previous guy has the shock almost all the way up. I need to crank that sucker tight a few turns!

Thanks again Mark.

Have a great weekend!
Old 07-12-2013, 11:21 AM   #16641
jackanory
I am Jack's wasted life

Oddometer: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangwagz View Post
according to jesse, the stock pilot is just fine even for the big bore kits.
I know, but I'm still lean with the Jesse recommended jetting specs and I'm pretty sure it's the pilot circuit. Can't find any evidence of an air leak anywhere. This is a 30 year old carb though, probably with a fresh carb the Jesse specs would be spot on.

Fatter jets come today so we will see if I'm right or blowing smoke. It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
jackanory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:01 PM   #16642
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackanory View Post
I know, but I'm still lean with the Jesse recommended jetting specs and I'm pretty sure it's the pilot circuit. Can't find any evidence of an air leak anywhere. This is a 30 year old carb though, probably with a fresh carb the Jesse specs would be spot on.

Fatter jets come today so we will see if I'm right or blowing smoke. It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
If you put a big enough pilot jet in there to significantly effect mid range and high speed, how do you think it will effect idle mixture adjustment ? Looking forward to your results.
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:11 PM   #16643
markk900
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladesteen View Post
I just did the SAG test and its sitting at 5 inches with me on it! 220lbs fully loaded. The previous guy has the shock almost all the way up. I need to crank that sucker tight a few turns!
The DR was known for soft suspension from the factory - that must have been like not having suspension at all!

Good luck with the adjustments. I think you'll be happy, but if you aren't you can always change them....
markk900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:59 PM   #16644
jackanory
I am Jack's wasted life

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bold2getold View Post
If you put a big enough pilot jet in there to significantly effect mid range and high speed, how do you think it will effect idle mixture adjustment ? Looking forward to your results.
I think my mid range and up is spot on because when I taped off a portion of the airbox cutout I couldn't run full throttle.

I can adjust the fuel screw all over the place and it makes no difference in the idle so I'm going to throw a 40 pilot in there and see if that is the answer.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:51 PM   #16645
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider

Oddometer: 1,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangwagz View Post
The real question is; is is brighter than stock?
Anonawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:00 PM   #16646
mustangwagz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonawesome View Post
The real question is; is is brighter than stock?
ill find out tonight..i have my doubts. lol

My attempt to roundup Local Riders..
https://www.facebook.com/dualsportridingwesternpa
mustangwagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:03 PM   #16647
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider

Ahem... This is a question I don't want to ask but, what are the symptoms of the shift drum bolt issue?
Old 07-12-2013, 03:10 PM   #16648
jackanory
I am Jack's wasted life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonawesome View Post
Ahem... This is a question I don't want to ask but, what are the symptoms of the shift drum bolt issue?
Mine was popping out of gear occasionally, bits of metal on the oil screen and a rattle in the bottom end.

Checking it is not that difficult, will cost you a gasket and a few hours of your time, no special tools required. Do yourself a favor and just tear in there, for the peace of mind if nothing else.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:32 PM   #16649
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackanory View Post
Mine was popping out of gear occasionally, bits of metal on the oil screen and a rattle in the bottom end.

Checking it is not that difficult, will cost you a gasket and a few hours of your time, no special tools required. Do yourself a favor and just tear in there, for the peace of mind if nothing else.
Yeah mine's getting hard to find neutral and the other day I upshifted (admittedly probably not far up enough) and it didn't go into 5th. It went in-between into a sort of neutral and just revved up when I got back on the gas.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:27 PM   #16650
jackanory
I am Jack's wasted life

40 pilot test results are in... MO POWAH!

However, I did something I shouldn't have. I had the airboot off so I could get at the preload ring on the shock (still couldn't budge it). I was looking at it and the backfire screen and before I could stop myself I had pulled that screen out of there and chucked it in a box. I was going to take the screen out at some point anyway but I didn't want to be making two changes at once.

So... back to the story... roll on power is significantly improved. Midrange doesn't seem as clean as it could be but I had raised the needle a notch trying to compensate for the pilot so I will get in there and drop that back to the recommended 3 slot.

Haven't pulled the plug yet and the muffler is still running pretty hot so we will see. A longer ride is in the works tomorrow and that will be the real test.