User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2013, 06:22 AM   #8221
davek181
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 728
facelift

Years ago after getting tired of one hundred mile range of fuel I finally snagged a tank off eBay to try and see if I liked it. It was a Clarke 4 gallon tank. I was worried that it might be too big, too heavy, too ugly to live with so I didn't want to pay full price for a new one in case that was true.

Well I loved it. The weight was not really a problem, I loved the range it provided, it did not intrude into my personal space very much if any. It was ugly though. Not so much the fit or design, but the color. It was made for a red XL and mine was an 87, white bike with red engine. I know some call that in itself ugly believing that Honda's should all be red as God intended them to be, but I kinda like it.

My own wife called my bike an abomination, a bike only an idiot home tuner type would ride, a term she learned way back in the bike shop days. She figured the only way I could ride it is if I were led up to it blindfolded. I didn't quite share that opinion but I had to agree it was a little ugly. I so loved the fact that I didn't have to stop at the gas station nearly as often that I kept it on permanently. I originally figured it would be my adventure tank only and I would keep the original on it otherwise, but that proved too troublesome since I did not have two petcocks, or the ambition required for constant tank changing.

Fast forward to this month. Steve in SF, a fellow inmate we all recognize from these pages got the urge to clean out the closets at home so to speak and offered up a Clarke tank to fit an XL that he had gotten tired of moving around in the box, unknown color. I sent a PM and he opened the box to look and found it to be white. After agreeing to what I considered a very reasonable price, cash changed hands and it was on it's way here.

I opened the box, cleaned it up, transferred petcocks and installed the tank, heck it even came with graphics already installed. I think it transformed the bike. It went from really really ugly to just normal XL ugliness. All my friends compliment the change, I didn't realize they hated the red one so much till now. The bike even seemed to notice the change. I swear it is running better than ever.

Not to tease without eye candy (?) I have posted a couple of pics of the new improved and I think prouder XL for you to enjoy. Now if I could only do something about that red fender....

Dave
davek181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:55 AM   #8222
davek181
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerb View Post
Well, Ive cocked up big time. Yesterday I drowned my XL. By drowned I mean completely submerged it in about 3 feet of water. This was taken just before it went under!

Engine wasn't running when it went under. When I got it out I tried to restart it, but no go. Had to leave it in the bush and walk 5km out, where a mate picked me up and drove me home. Picked the bike up this morning, put it on a trailer and took it home. Oil in the crankcase is milky white so heaps of water got in somehow. Also water in the carbs. Carbs drained, oil drained as well. Some water got into the frame too. Ive poured a couple of litres of diesel into the head and frame and sprayed inox down the plughole.
Drained the diesel after cranking the engine over a couple of dozen times.
I've still got a good spark so the dunking hasn't damaged the electrics it seems.
I plan to repeat the diesel flush at least two more times, before filling with cheap supermarket oil and hopefully starting it. I'll change the oil and filter a couple or three times before I ride it and keep a close eye on the oil colour. Any other tips for resurrecting a drowned engine?

I would pour liberal amounts of diesel into the engine as well through a valve adjuster hole and swirl it all around. Maybe lay the bike on its sides to cleanse the top end to. Pull the float bowls and clean, spray, blow as much as you can. Drain the tank and refill with fresh fuel with lots of alcohol in it. (the only time you might ever hear me say that statement). Flush lots of fuel through the carb and lines with the drains open.

Wheel bearings should be ok since they are sealed, but I would pull the wheels and look it over, wash out the sediment and sand. Clean and oil the chain, cables, brake pivot, and anything else you can find.

Refill with fresh oil and run it till warm. change oil immediately while warm and let drain completely, might even pull valve caps and let it air out again too.

If oil looks clear after all this I would still change it a couple of times maybe after a tank of fuel is burned out.

Bummer that it happened but I think it will be fine in the end. I have even resurrected a submerged car in the past with no ill effects. The real important part is to do it quick, don't let it be wet long.

Dave
Old 07-12-2013, 08:14 AM   #8223
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by davek181 View Post
Years ago after getting tired of one hundred mile range of fuel I finally snagged a tank off eBay to try and see if I liked it. It was a Clarke 4 gallon tank. I was worried that it might be too big, too heavy, too ugly to live with so I didn't want to pay full price for a new one in case that was true.

Well I loved it. The weight was not really a problem, I loved the range it provided, it did not intrude into my personal space very much if any. It was ugly though. Not so much the fit or design, but the color. It was made for a red XL and mine was an 87, white bike with red engine. I know some call that in itself ugly believing that Honda's should all be red as God intended them to be, but I kinda like it.

My own wife called my bike an abomination, a bike only an idiot home tuner type would ride, a term she learned way back in the bike shop days. She figured the only way I could ride it is if I were led up to it blindfolded. I didn't quite share that opinion but I had to agree it was a little ugly. I so loved the fact that I didn't have to stop at the gas station nearly as often that I kept it on permanently. I originally figured it would be my adventure tank only and I would keep the original on it otherwise, but that proved too troublesome since I did not have two petcocks, or the ambition required for constant tank changing.

Fast forward to this month. Steve in SF, a fellow inmate we all recognize from these pages got the urge to clean out the closets at home so to speak and offered up a Clarke tank to fit an XL that he had gotten tired of moving around in the box, unknown color. I sent a PM and he opened the box to look and found it to be white. After agreeing to what I considered a very reasonable price, cash changed hands and it was on it's way here.

I opened the box, cleaned it up, transferred petcocks and installed the tank, heck it even came with graphics already installed. I think it transformed the bike. It went from really really ugly to just normal XL ugliness. All my friends compliment the change, I didn't realize they hated the red one so much till now. The bike even seemed to notice the change. I swear it is running better than ever.

Not to tease without eye candy (?) I have posted a couple of pics of the new improved and I think prouder XL for you to enjoy. Now if I could only do something about that red fender....

Dave
The bike looks great. Rocky Mountain has a bling bling billet gas cap for that tank. I got two for each of my Clarke tank bikes.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:16 AM   #8224
Skomoroh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
heh, need to read the forum more often.
Was going to ask about XR650L forks and found an answer on last two pages...
Don't know why it was told that 650 axle size is a problem...
XR600 (and think that XL600Lm too) uses 6202 bearngs in the wheels.
bore, 15mm OD 35mm, width 11mm
Xr650L has 17mm axle. We can just put 6003 bearing instead of 6202 to the wheels.
It's 17-35-10. 1mm is not a problem - we always can install a spacer.. or not install anything - it's not critical.
Other question - if XL600-XR600 brake caliper can be installed on XR650L fork?

And one more:
Is there an easy and practical way to increase rear wheel travel ?
Maybe the rear shock from XR600R ?
But i've heard that XR have longer swingarm and same shock travel, so without changing the swingarm it will not help.
Sounds this true ?
Skomoroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:29 AM   #8225
davek181
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skomoroh View Post
heh, need to read the forum more often.
Was going to ask about XR650L forks and found an answer on last two pages...
Don't know why it was told that 650 axle size is a problem...
XR600 (and think that XL600Lm too) uses 6202 bearngs in the wheels.
bore, 15mm OD 35mm, width 11mm
Xr650L has 17mm axle. We can just put 6003 bearing instead of 6202 to the wheels.
It's 17-35-10. 1mm is not a problem - we always can install a spacer.. or not install anything - it's not critical.
Other question - if XL600-XR600 brake caliper can be installed on XR650L fork?

And one more:
Is there an easy and practical way to increase rear wheel travel ?
Maybe the rear shock from XR600R ?
But i've heard that XR have longer swingarm and same shock travel, so without changing the swingarm it will not help.
Sounds this true ?
I have done bearing and seal swaps as you mentioned, you need a matching 17mm speedo drive too if you want to use the stock speedo. might need an XR/XR650L/R speedo cable depending on how long your forks grow.

Brake calipers interchange around quite well, but I don't know specifically if the 650L will bolt right on. My bike pictured above has CR125 USD forks with an XR250 wheel with bearing swaps and an XR650L caliper mounted on the CR125 caliper mount. So, yeah it's pretty likely you can make it work if it doesn't bolt right on. If not, eBay abounds with calipers that will.

If you put on longer forks, even if you don't, the XR shock will fit right on and it is roughly 1/2" longer so you will get more travel and height from that. My bike as pictured has an XR rear shock and swingarm with an Eibach 11.5kg spring on the shock. The shock alone will give you more travel since it is a little longer.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:32 PM   #8226
Skomoroh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Great, thanx for the info.
And what about xr650l shock ?
Are there chances it will fit ?
Fiches look almost identical, but there can be problems with sizes...
Skomoroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #8227
davek181
Studly Adventurer

According to the microfiche I looked at the 650L has a reservoir attached to the shock body like the late XR600. It will not work on a twin carb bike. Lengthwise it would probably be very similar to the late and early XR600 I would think. Race tech lists the spring for the L as 11.0 kg which would be a good one for an XL compared to stock, but really just a little light stilll.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:14 PM   #8228
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

There is a kick ass works performance shock on Ebay for the XL600. It is rated at 200lb rider for motocross. Price is over $600. It includes one free revalve if needed.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-XL600R...b87fd9&vxp=mtr
Old 07-12-2013, 07:15 PM   #8229
TahoeRider
Red Rider

Oddometer: 110
Nice bike Dave, it looks great with the new tank. What are you planning to do with the red one? It would probably look pretty good on my '83
TahoeRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:12 PM   #8230
lookfar
from the land of OZ

Oddometer: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by davek181 View Post

Dave
Looks nice Dave.

There is a white rear fender on ebay at present, not original, one of the DC plastics ones.

See here
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Rear-...item3f2707d122
1985 XL250R
1985 XL600R 1988 XR600
lookfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:27 PM   #8231
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Anybody know how the crank pin and rod is replaced when the counterbalancer gear is covering half the hole on one side?
Old 07-13-2013, 12:48 AM   #8232
Postman Pat
I _said_ I'd be there...

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Well, Ive cocked up big time. Yesterday I drowned my XL. By drowned I mean completely submerged it in about 3 feet of water. This was taken just before it went under!

Engine wasn't running when it went under. When I got it out I tried to restart it, but no go. Had to leave it in the bush and walk 5km out, where a mate picked me up and drove me home. Picked the bike up this morning, put it on a trailer and took it home. Oil in the crankcase is milky white so heaps of water got in somehow. Also water in the carbs. Carbs drained, oil drained as well. Some water got into the frame too. Ive poured a couple of litres of diesel into the head and frame and sprayed inox down the plughole.
Drained the diesel after cranking the engine over a couple of dozen times.
I've still got a good spark so the dunking hasn't damaged the electrics it seems.
I plan to repeat the diesel flush at least two more times, before filling with cheap supermarket oil and hopefully starting it. I'll change the oil and filter a couple or three times before I ride it and keep a close eye on the oil colour. Any other tips for resurrecting a drowned engine?
I miss my old XL600RMG (Well,I miss the *first* one,not the second wornout P.O.S.--just the Acerbis 20L tank on it...)

Gotta DR650 now,but I'd still like those tubeless RMG rims...
Postman Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:54 AM   #8233
Homerb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman Pat View Post
I miss my old XL600RMG (Well,I miss the *first* one,not the second wornout P.O.S.--just the Acerbis 20L tank on it...)

Gotta DR650 now,but I'd still like those tubeless RMG rims...
Yeah, lve got the 20 litre acerbis tank on mine. Love the 400+ range it gives me.
Homerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:58 AM   #8234
Homerb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reposado1800 View Post
Anybody know how the crank pin and rod is replaced when the counterbalancer gear is covering half the hole on one side?
It can still be pressed out cos half the pin is still accessible next to the gear. Its tricky, but someone who knows what their doing shouldnt have too much trouble.
Homerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:33 AM   #8235
lookfar
from the land of OZ

Oddometer: 560
Quote:
Yeah, lve got the 20 litre acerbis tank on mine. Love the 400+ range it gives me.
Hmm, I have one of those in the shed for my XL600. must try it out maybe one day.
1985 XL250R
1985 XL600R 1988 XR600
lookfar is offline   Reply With Quote